Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

planning a trip Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
We are meant to be departing tomorrow morning, but tuesday seems to have the best forcast, so we may drive up tonight in the hope of some snow tomorrow! The forcast is not looking amazing for the week, but i think we will still give it a crack!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi ScottyJ, We're also planning to head up tonight to arrive in time for breakfast tomorrow.

Looks like there's been a lot of rain but hopefully some snow tonight.

Where are you planning to ski tomorrow?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weve booking in to stay at Fort William, so the Nevis range is first on the list. But we will just move to where the best conditions are if needs be!

Where are you guys headed?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If anyone isn't booked, there are lots of B&Bs on the southern end of Fort William up to the first roundabout as you drive in. There shouldn't be any problem finding somewhere. (The roundabout is at the start of the High Street which the main road now bypasses - as far as the second roundabout by the station) Nevisport ski and general outdoor shop (with cafe) is at the North end of the Highstreet near the second roundabout.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No accom booked yet, original plan was Nevis tomorrow then glencoe on Wednesday but as you say flexibility will be the name of the game!

snowball, Thanks for the accom advice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was just looking at the webcams. All resorts look pretty ropey right now. Hope that there is a bit more snow overnight to give you a day on the hill mate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would plan a trip to ski Scotland after the snow has been confirmed and the lifts declared open instead of picking a date and turn up.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-12-11 12:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm not sure what to do now. We have agreed to leave tonight to get the nevis for the morning. But the nevis snow report doesnt fill me with confidence, the weather report looks good, but there saying they may not have access to access the snow for 2 days!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ScottyJ, We have delayed our trip

If conditions improve we'll drive up night of 28th

If you head up please let us know how you get on
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't be leaving the house with the conditions looking as they are. Every other resort is closed, odds are that Nevis will have been rained and thawed out too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the webcams it looks like there is nothing left at Cairngorm and the reports from the west on http://www.winterhighland.info/general/ sound dire. I certainly wouldn't be going up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has to be said guys (and this is the first time I've said this since joining this forum in 2006) on the basis of what it's like right now don't bother with the trip unless you want to skin up ice!

There is snow forecast over the next few days but I'd wait and see what the result is by Friday then decide if that's an option but right now it's total pants! Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, FYI the Cas has mostly survived but given the gunbarrel was a narrow halfpipe strip of 'almost ice' on Friday with the added 'excitement' of some rocks to avoid part way down I wouldn't say it'd be too great right now despite being one of the longer strips of white on the hill right now! Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The other half is returning home after Christmas with the family up that way. Apparently it's pissed down for days over Christmas and been pretty mild as well as well blowing a gale-Nevis was shut boxing day.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've skied in Scotland for years now and I seldom pre plan a trip just to ski rather we'll be up visiting family and if there's snow I fit in some sliding if not I don't bother. It doesn't suit everyone but the best days I've had is when I've had a phone call from a mate saying it's dumped and I pack the car and leave in the wee hours the next morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup the thaw has been pretty astonishing given the cover and what was the makings of a great base just a few days ago really. We've seen thaws like this before although it's still amazing and pretty depressing when it happens.

BUT BUT BUT, it's still early days in terms of a typical / average / even brilliant Scottish season. Another storm cycle or two with some gentler freeze-thaw thrown in and we're back in business. There'll be a great season to be had yet - remember a few short weeks ago the alps were all but being tarmacced for park n ride - fickleness ain't just the preserve of the Jock winter!

Keep the faith
ski holidays
Well we arrived last night after a 12 hour drive. It's our only time off work, so we've come just for a holiday. Visited the Nevis range this morning. Closed today due to the wind and the low cloud. Hoping to get up there tomorrow, even if its on the artifical. For now were on a pub crawl lol
snow report
ScottyJ, Enjoy the beer!

Hope you get up the hill tomorrow
latest report
Dec 2011 has been a replay of Mar 2011.

A huge ~100cm puke in 2 weeks followed by an 80% megathaw in the ensuing 2 weeks.

Bit of a shame.
snow conditions
ScottyJ, that's the spirit, enjoy! Be sure and take the p*ss outta the locals for talkin funny and worrying livestock - they love the banter over that way wink
snow conditions
Haha.

Well we had an awesome trip. Got an hour or so, on the artificial at the nevis range on the thursday. Then drove to gairngorm on friday and enjoyed a very nice bit of skiing, and it snowed all day.

Were going again later in the season now, hopefully get some better condition!
snow conditions
ScottyJ, glad to hear you got a play out of the trip. Very Happy
ski holidays
Jeez, if you enjoyed it with no snow you'll love it once the snow comes back. This week is due another mega dumping. Hopefully it doesn't get washed away (unlikely now imo) like the last lot (of which plenty still remains in all the right places)
snow report
I'm going skiing in Scotland later this month.

Excuse my ignorance, but is insurance recomended for skiing in Scotland?

What happens if one has an accident? Is piste rescue free?
snow report
Christopher, ski patrol rescue is included in the price of the lift tickets, off-piste mountain rescue is gratis given the volunteer set up we have in the UK, and medical costs are covered in the same way any injury would be in the UK (for UK citizens) by the NHS. However you might want the extra peace of mind that having private insurance can give you if you sustain a long term injury but it's definitely not necessary for immediate rescue and treatment.

Obviously without insurance any items lost or stolen won't be covered so you may want to consider some cover for that if not for private medical insurance.

Hope that helps Very Happy
ski holidays
Bear in mind that many travel insurance policies specifically exclude skiing in your home country...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy