Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

planning a trip Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm new here, been having a browse about..

Went skiing with the school a lot so now I have a bit more spare money I'm looking at getting back into it.

Me and a friend have been looking at heading to the Nevis range between christmas and new year. I'm aware scotland can be unpredictable, but were hoping there be some snow! I looked at the alps, but we can drive and have 3days skiing in Scotland for around £300pp including everything except food and beer. And that's what's making do able. Were on a tight budget!

Just wondered if anyone any tips or advice to consider when skiing in Scotland.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there;s plenty of info around here and one winterhighland. the best advice is to be flexible - if the weather is awful in the east. the west might be great, or vice versa
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ScottyJ, Which part of the UK are you travelling from, if you are coming via Glasgow then maybe base yourself where you could go to Nevis Range and/or Glencoe. Coming via Edinburgh up the A9 consider staying around Aviemore which would also give you the option of the Lecht as well as Cairngorm. I haven't been to Nevis Range for a long time so can't advise you on the runs but here is a link to their piste map http://snowsports.nevisrange.co.uk/piste-map.asp. Both Cairngorm and the Lecht should suit you as well but the biggest problem could be accommodation at that time of year. The roads are not normally a problem unless there is heavy snow with strong winds which can close the A9 fortunately that doesn't happen very often, you can check Traffic Scotland's webcams. As nbt, says be flexible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
£300pp isn't the minimum. I've managed weekends for about £150-160. Biggest outlay is probably fuel; which depends on your car, distance to travel, number of people to split the bill and how far away you live. And how heavy your right foot is!

I wouldn't bother about booking accommodation if you are mainly up for skiing - there are loads of cheap beds available near Cairngorm/the Lecht (all the villages between Newtonmore, Carrbridge and Grantown) and Nevis/Glencoe (Bridge of Orchy to Roybridge). If you want big apres then definitely Aviemore or Fort William, in that order, but drive + ski tends to mean I'm ready for bed after a few beers & food. Have settled down to catch MOTD many times, just to be woken by the closing credits!

Note these 2 areas actually nearly cross over so a 3 centre trip is easily doable. Glenshee is a bit more limited in choice but I still doubt you'd have to travel far if armed with the phone numbers of B&Bs/hostels/hotels between Ballater and Bridge of Cally. You definitely will need to do a minimum of research if you are winging it, either get stuff off the internet or invest in a guidebook. Don't rely on fast internet in ski centre car parks or finding a tourist info at 6pm!

I always do 2 centres on a weekend. Favourite is Nevis then Glencoe ('cos then your 45mins closer to home wink) but done Nevis/Cairngorm, Glenshee/Glencoe, The Lecht/Glenshee and The Lecht/Cairngorm. Wouldn't try other combinations - just too much driving.

Which ski area is the best depends on your skill level as well as the current conditions. I'd say the conditions should be the prime motivator in deciding where to go. Not just the snow levels, but wind and visibility. Look at Winterhighland, MWIS and Met Office weather forecasts. And never commit until as late as possible - think thursday or friday morning.

For a good skier, Nevis with the Braveheart running is about as good as it gets but Glencoe has incredible freeride terrain - just don't expect many pistes or signs, you've got to explore to find the best stuff. Sometimes this ends in a load of rocks so you need to be able to navigate - you can rarely see the tows. Glenshee is much more open and easy to navigate around, but not quite as challenging. Cairngorm has everything but usually at the price of hanging around in queues. The Lecht has got short runs but the runs off the 3 tows at the end are actually steep.

Finally, if you fancy seeing some countryside, go in March or April when the daylight hours are much longer (and there are no queues either). Makes the journey much less tiring especially if you do a long motorway stint overnight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi ScottyJ, welcome to snowHeads. I'm in a similar position to you (used to go skiing alot with school, then a break with only a few trips) - and I too fancy Scotland over Christmas /Jan (it might have to wait until next year but hey) so I'll be watching this post with interest. Thanks for asking this Very Happy Let us know how it goes if you sort it in the end, pretty please Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As an aside, looks like a few of the resorts (Nevis, Glencoe and perhaps Glenshee and Cairngorm) are looking to open this coming weekend.

Excited much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OP - Skiing in Scotland is very very variable because of the weather. The hills are lower but the first thing that the weather hits from the west and north west, so the clouds tend to dump their rain, wind and snow in Scotland before it goes over to Europe.

So I would plan a holiday that doesn't involve skiing, but bring skiing kit with you just in case! That way, if the slopes are open and it's not blowing a hoolie and you can actually see where you're going, you can have a great day out. If it's too poor to ski, never mind, you have other things in mind.

As mentioned, Fort William is a bit of a dump, but it's the only large town near the slopes at Nevis or Glencoe. I've had some good nights out there, been in some good B+Bs, but also some fairly shite ones. Given the choice, I go up to Spean Bridge which has a fantastic B+B / Bistro there and a proper old man's pub which is ok if you're just out for a few beers. There are 2 hotels in Glencoe which are also good fun - the Clachaig and the Kings House hotel. The latter is directly opposite the access road from the ski slopes, but the Clachaig has more atmosphere. Glencoe Ski are also opening up beehive / doocut lodges and extending their bar licence and food timings to capture the overnight audience, which could be really good fun.

Your other option is to base yourself in Inverness, which gets you pretty close to aviemore, the lecht and the nevis range and there's loads to do in the area. I really like Inverness - good fun. There's a load of distilleries just down the road, the culloden battlefield, some fantastic places on the black isle etc etc.

I live just north west of Glasgow and go where the best snow is - glencoe is under an hour up the road, but I've often gone over to Glenshee, a 2 1/2 hour drive, because the snow's been better there and I get more bang for my buck.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, thanks for all the detailed responses.

Were travelling up from London/Essex area, I'm driving the Eco wagon up, so provided we dont get stuck in snow ive factored in £170 fuel for 1200miles. The return trip is around 1050miles. So with 3 nights stay, fuel and lift passes its around £300pp maybe less if I buy myself some skis and don't need to hire.

As it stands we've made reservations in a cheap lodge in fort william, so we can enjoy the evening as well as the skiing.

We can cancel up to two days before, so if the conditions are looking poor we will head to another resort.

I would say I was a decent intermediate Skier, but its been 3 years since I've been on the slopes, and my friend is going to try snow boarding for the first time, so were not after anything special when it comes to ski runs, just some varied runs and maybe
have some fun on the kickers and rails.

Appreciate all the help so far, Ill have a more detailed look tonight after work. What ever happens were committed to going away for a laugh, so its pretty much down to weather as to where we end up. But as said the Nvis range was our first plan
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ScottyJ, decent initial plan. Staying in Fort William gets you striking distance to 4 of the 5. Cairngorm would be about 1hr 15 - 1hr 30 away (would seem like it can be done quicker but that's pretty going some, bit of a windy route accross - it is however a stunning drive, passing by Laggan Dam, Loch Laggan, Creag Meagaidh and best of all "Glenbogle"). For Aviemore itself take 10-15mins off that.

Lecht is about 35-40 mins further on than Aviemore (road conditions can be the key for the Lecht as it goes through a highish pass, and the infamous Cockbridge-Tomintoul road gets closed very regularly - was closed this week in fact for a spell - they are quite quick to reopen it though once conditions allow).

Glenshee is a fair old schlep beyond the Lecht, especially if you were coming at it from Fort William (though coming from that direction, you go past the Lecht too so can provide some further contingency - though you do need a steady nerve on that road in winter!).

Fort William gets a bad rap sometimes in terms of staying there, Manhattan it aint for sure, but in the season with good skiing on the go then you'll do just fine (crackin seafood restaurant on the "front", seals frollicking about in the loch, soem decent food and pubs in town - some a bit clichey perhaps but dont let that bother you). If you hit Glencoe, be sure to stop off at the Clachaig for a pint and a venison burger. My favourite pub in the whole wide world (and trust me, that's high praise rolling eyes Toofy Grin ).

If you can cancel up to two days before and there is still uncertainty in the forecast (quite possible), then a good hedge would be to move accom to Newtonmore - puts you a bit closer to the eastern resorts (30 odd mins to Cairngorm, an hour-ish to the Lecht), but still doable back west along the same route described above (under an hour to Nevis, 30-40 further on to Glencoe). You do bring Glenshee closer too, though still the farthest to reach coming from that side. Newtonmore none too lively at night but enough for a few pints and good food (and the fleshpots of Aviemore are just up the road)

Traditionally (perhaps the wrong word, but more often than not), the eastern resorts would be up and running before the west, although this year so far at least the west seem to be heading for a pre-Christmas opening. Keep checking in on here and winterhighland and you'll get the vibe for what's happening. A bit of flexibility and a sense of adventure and you'll have a ball. Enjoy!

(damn, I wish I didnt live here so I could come on a ski trip) Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For ordinary pistes Cairngorm is best but for tougher skiing (particularly off the back), then Nevis is best.
As barry mentioned, in Fort William the Crannog Restaurant right on the sea edge (small, bright red roof) is great (its in the Good Food Guide). Also The Lime Tree Restaurant (and Hotel) by the first roundabout (coming from the South) which is quite sophisticated food and the Hotel also acts as a (rather good) Art Gallery.
See also the Snowheads Scottish Bash thread in the Snow Events section.
And my Nevis Trip Review on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=926485.
Also Nevis Webcam which allows you to pan (taken from bottom of the main (Snow Goose) piste) http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/nevis-range/interface.php?pk_interface=276&m=images&r=panoramique
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All good advice above will just underline the bit about keeping an eye on the weather and being flexible.

I think it's a reasonable bet to say Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm will probably be open before Xmas (if not this weekend coming then the 17th), The Lecht is possible, not sure about Glenshee. Freeze thaw and some crazy winds today but the storm is now pulling in snow and there's a lot to follow I reckon.

If you want a bit of a ski holiday vibe I'd say Aviemore has to be top of your list, Fort William is fine but it's not a ski town - great Indian and the Crannog is fantastic though Very Happy

Whatever you do have a fantastic time snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If conditions permit:

Do 2 days at Nevis Range. Reasonable size and entertaining terrain.

Do 1 day at Glencoe. Smaller but pretty, and some entertaining terrain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Going to keep a close eye on what the weather does on the lead up to Christmas and then decide 100% our plan.

Atm all we know for certain is were leaving on the 27th and heading back on the 30/31st so im hoping we get at least on good day in!

Going to have a closer look into prices at Aviemore and availability over the Christmas/new year period as a back up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ScottyJ, A friend and I have a similar trip planned but heading up late on 26th and back home after skiing on 28th so all this info is great

Now just hope the weather gods look kindly on us, never skied in Scotland before so looking forward to the experience Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aviemore has plenty of accommodation.......and plenty of snow on Cairngorn at the mo......is a good ski......watch out for the White lady..... Toofy Grin
snow report
Just looked at my Nevis TR and the photos aren't coming up. Then I tried to look for my photos on snowmediazone and Firefox can't find the Zone. Not sure what is happening. Must be a glitch.
latest report
Erm, 1200 miles from London to Cairngorms? Try half of that
ski holidays
Have a look at this link.

http://www.skiweardale.com/

It's a lot nearer and cheaper.
snow report
ally12259, half that there, and half that back again...
snow conditions
ally12259 wrote:
Erm, 1200 miles from London to Cairngorms? Try half of that

Re-read it, thats the return trip wink

snowball wrote:
Just looked at my Nevis TR and the photos aren't coming up. Then I tried to look for my photos on snowmediazone and Firefox can't find the Zone. Not sure what is happening. Must be a glitch.

The photos came up for me the other day, was a good read, thanks for the link! Maybe a server glitch?

cc_7up wrote:
Have a look at this link.

http://www.skiweardale.com/

It's a lot nearer and cheaper.

Thanks for that, ill have a proper look when I finish work.

Hoping the resorts haven't suffered too much damage with these storms! Just hope the predicted snow storms will make up for it!
ski holidays
Roger C, ScottyJ, drop me a pm when you get your plans finalised, not sure where i'll be on those dates, but wouldn't mind a couple of runs with snowHead 's if we happen to be there at the same time.
snow report
ScottyJ wrote:
Hoping the resorts haven't suffered too much damage with these storms! Just hope the predicted snow storms will make up for it!

Cairngorm, Glenshee and The Lecht were open today after a clean up yesterday and Glencoe are hoping to open but are still on the mountain making repairs! Nevis open on the 17th which gives them a week to clear up.

Apparently Glencoe now have more snow than at any time last season, skidoos can't go up some of the lift uptracks 'coz the snow is so high and the cables are too close to the ground!

All looking good and more snow is forecast! Shocked snowHead

ledge, you could hire them kit too Wink
ski holidays
roga, we are ok for kit thanks, unless there are lots of stones in which case hiring could be an option..... Laughing

ledge, I'll let you know once we are heading up
snow conditions
Cant wait, have a trip penned for a week on monday for 3 days. 2 at the coe and 1 at nevis. Bring it on baby Toofy Grin
latest report
Cant wait, have a trip penned for a week on monday for 3 days. 2 at the coe and 1 at nevis. Bring it on baby Toofy Grin
snow report
Roger C wrote:
roga, we are ok for kit thanks, unless there are lots of stones in which case hiring could be an option..... Laughing

No worries, was just winding him up Razz
latest report
I see, so there's a suggestion that ledge has a bit too much kit!!??
snow conditions
I couldn't possibly comment Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep in mind Nevis and Glencoe have both suffered damage to tows from the recent storms. Glencoe still without power/phone, derailments at Nevis. Have a backup plan, though I'd hope things will be fixed by the time your trip comes around.
snow conditions
^ Yeah it's worth bearing in mind especially with more storms coming in next week, good thing is there's liable to be heaps more snow the bad is we don't yet know how bad the wind will be so more damage might happen. At the moment storms seem to be coming in from the west so they are bearing the brunt of the damage, was bad in the east but they all got up and running for Saturday and I'd expect them to get running quite quickly after the next set of storms too.

Glencoe now have power back on and are getting things back to normal and Nevis plan to open on the 17th but do keep it flexible and keep an eye on the forecast.

Blimey, I remember standing chatting to a mate in heavy snow at Cairngorm the season before last and commenting that I hadn't seen snow like that since being in the states (was falling there at 2.5 inches an hour Shocked ) and it was falling at a similar rate at times that season. Have to say I haven't seen storms like these (similar to the lake effect bringing heavy amounts of snow on high winds) since the USA either ... only place apart from Scotland Toofy Grin I've seen people 'mad' enough to head out and ski in the middle of said storms either, but they had the protection of a tree line and runs that were relatively sheltered lol Laughing
latest report
ledge wrote:
Roger C, ScottyJ, drop me a pm when you get your plans finalised, not sure where i'll be on those dates, but wouldn't mind a couple of runs with snowHead 's if we happen to be there at the same time.

Yea I will definitely give you a shout, I haven't touched skis in 3 years and my mate is a 100% newb so don't expect much! Think hes gunna book a few lessons, so ill be solo in the morning...

The snow storms are looking promising. Its a shame about the wind damage, especially with more to come, but we will hit one resort no matter what!
snow conditions
If I lived in London I'd be driving to the alps..............

I love skiing in Scotland and have had some great days up there and when it's good it's as good as anywhere IMO for a few days. I live 3.5 hours door to from Glencoe though and about 4 from Anoch Mor. Hope to get some days in over Chritmas too.
snow report
Grizwald, I think that comments been made a few times and yeah probably would myself most of the time but the further away you are from the channel ports the longer the journey to the Alps, for example from Bristol (my summer residence) there's absolutely no time advantage to the Alps, although weather and snow wise it might be more predictable (but not always, see last season and even more so the one before and who knows about this one but looking good so far). I've driven to Aviemore a hell of a lot from Bristol, quickest times between 7/8 hours (quickest was closer to 7), longest with stops and delays was between 9/10 - not sure there's anywhere in the Alps I could drive to in that time!

Also from London don't forget the advantages of the sleeper train from Euston - straight up to Aviemore or Fort William and 2 nights accommodation covered too - a number of people from London did it last year for the March trip and managed 2 full days skiing with no time off work. They left work for the station on the Friday and went straight in to work from the station on Monday morning. Not sure it's possible to do that to the Alps without either loosing snow time or loosing a day of work.

Lots more snow coming in to Scotland at the moment - Glencoe are set to get around half a metre by the end of tomorrow, Nevis 30cm and Cairngorm 20 - all looking good snowHead
ski holidays
Wish I had of got back to this thread a bit earlier, everyone knows I ski best with a different ski on each foot and a spare on my backpack Toofy Grin

Happy to help out with a loan of kit if anyone gets stuck Blush
snow report
ScottyJ, Chamonix is 1000km-ish from london according to viaMichelin route planner. London - Aviemore is 854km- for the sake of 150km - go to the Alps Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Aye, but by order of Sarkozy, the French will now be mandated to spit into all breakfast chocolate croissants sold to the English. At least in Scotland, you know that deep fried square sausage in a buttered bun can't actually be made any more hazardous to your health.
ski holidays
Hi Folks,

I'm new here too, and to Scotland as a Skiing destination..

I'm planning to drive up the 28th to ski 29th to 1st Jan. Looking at forecasts, the conditions seem to be getting dire (warmth, rain and wind). This is my only time off, so I would really like to go, but is it still worth £200 fuel to find out?

Opinions most welcome,

Cheers
Doug
snow conditions
well you can check on the day doug before you go using the webcams, you don't have to go there in person.
ski holidays
Keep an eye on the snow conditions and snow forecast on here: http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
Hi toskiornottoski, Welcome to snowHead

We are planning on driving up leaving late on 26th to ski 27/28 so will post re conditions if we make it.

As mentioned above plenty of info available so no need to waste money, if conditions are dire save it for later in the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy