Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Advice

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning on spending the 2005/06 ski season in the Alps. I have snowboarded for the last ten years and now plan on taking up skiing again. I used to be able to ski ok, but have no idea what I will ski like now. I am switching to skiing because I am sick of getting stuck on long traverses/walks and assume that with the advances in ski technology over the last ten years I will now find it easier to ski off piste.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what skis to buy? I know a lot of people recommend demoing skis to find what suits but I imagine I will be a very different skier after the first month and again after the second month etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aseeto, I would advise you: don't buy until you've had lessons, and skiied a bit on carvers, don't even think about it! After that, try a few skis. If you're planning on working in the Alps with a tour op, then ski hire may be included in your package. If that's the case, keep friendly with the ski shop, and try different skis.
Also, if you're in the resort and having lessons, ask the instructors. They may be able to help and advise you.
People here will tell you about their favourite skis - or about great deals on skis, but until you've had a chance to ski on shorter, shaped skis, and learned a bit of technique, it's not an easy call. (although many on here will disagree with me)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aseeto, I agree with everything Wear The Fox Hat has said. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
aseeto, you could approach it in the opposite way. find a pair of skis you like the look of at a decent price, buy them, use them every day and adapt your style to suit them. Not really a good idea for a 1 week per year skier, but for you the slate is relatively clean (in the sense that you haven't skied in a long time so probably don't have a fixed idea of how a ski should feel) and you have a whole season to work on your technique.

Also, if you get something for £150 on ebay, even if you end up hating them you can probably sell them on for not too much of a loss.

As a general point, if you're looking to ski off piste most/all of the time I'd get a proper pair of off-piste skis, not some all mountain compromise. Also, consider touring bindings. They make those little walks to get the goods that little bit less painful (and it's a great smug feeling as you overtake people wading through deep snow who don't have touring gear)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aseeto,

I also agree with Wear The Fox Hat!

You could try striking up a friendship with a hire shop. If you make it clear you are going to buy part way into the season, and try and send some business their way, they may strike a deal with you on hire / demo skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

aseeto, you could approach it in the opposite way. find a pair of skis you like the look of at a decent price, buy them, use them every day and adapt your style to suit them. Not really a good idea for a 1 week per year skier, but for you the slate is relatively clean (in the sense that you haven't skied in a long time so probably don't have a fixed idea of how a ski should feel) and you have a whole season to work on your technique.

No offense intended - just my opinion but I would try to avoid this tack if I were you. If you pick a ski and then try to change your technique to adapt to it you are restricting yourself far too much and you will not know how much better you might ski on a different ski. Try different things - as your technique improves you will be better placed to feel the massive differences there are between one type of ski and another rather than potentially struggling away on something that is completely unsuitable because you got a good price for it.

Get some lessons to improve your technique and get friendly with a ski shop. Make sure you let them know that you are serious about buying a pair - they will be much more likely to let you try out some decent kit and not the old rental stuff.

I admire your choice to move to skiiing by the way. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waitingforwinter, no offence taken Laughing

It's just that you can go too far on chopping and changing and find yourself having to change your technique every week because you've changed your skis. Or compulsively changing kit to find "the answer" when really you should be looking at a flaw in your technique (you/your all used in the sense of "one" rather than you specifically).

aseeto, seen that you're off to Verbier - there should be a bewildering selection available there! Still on the assumption that you're mainly going to be off-piste I'd look at:

Rossi B4 or Scratch BC
Dynastar Legend 8800 or Big Trouble
K2 Seth Vicious (or Seth Pistol - last year's so should be cheaper)
Atomic Sugar Daddy

All these are pretty fat so will feel very different if you haven't been on big skis before but should be good in deeper stuff.

There are loads of more obscure skis which will be difficult to try first but may be worth looking at once you have a bit more of an idea what you're after. I have coveted Extrem and PM Gear Bro Models amongst others snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
those are some seriously Fat, with a PH ,skis. The dynastar legend are suppsoed to be exceptional. Check out the Volkl Gotoma also if you have a bit of a fat fetish wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gotama are going cheap on filarin. From what i hear they are buckle up, point and charge
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
epicski.com Forums have a very in-depth review of the volkl Gotoma
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry filarins have only got the sanouks which are even fatter, its more like a heli day ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Atomic Powder Cruises are pretty good too. You can get a cheap pair here wink

Seriously though, I wouldn't dive in with something that big - same goes for the Gotamas and Sanouks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah it is a bit overkill going that PHAT
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edmundh009, I think it's something you work up to (of that's what you want to do...). I have managed to carve on the Powder Cruises, but most pistes just aren't wide enough!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, I've managed to slalom race on Pistols, but the spectators were very nervous (isn't that right, ssh! Very Happy )
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm sure they handled the ruts nicely Laughing
snow conditions
Edmundh009 wrote:
Yeah it is a bit overkill going that PHAT

Not when there's 4-5 cm of white dust on top of rocks and roots.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm sure they handled the ruts nicely Laughing

With enough pressure, they cut straight through them, then leave nice deep ruts for the next guy down... Laughing
snow report
Comprex I think if you had your way you would have the guy on some Atomic Big daddys (133-107-123 radius34m in a 193) or Some Volkl Sumo's (145-125-142 radius 24.9m in a 175 rolling eyes wink wink . In all seriousness though what about something like a Salomon Pocket rocket if it really is predominately off-piste or something like a Volkl ac3 or 4 if there is more of a piste/off-piste balance.
ski holidays
Edmundh009, hehe. Not quite. I'd have him on the cheapest fatties he could get secondhand locally, not so fat that moguls would be a problem (not more than 90-92mm waist for me).

I don't believe in p/op balance. No way am I tearing up my nice skis out there.
ski holidays
Thats when the term rock skis comes into play doesn't it. suppose this is when ebay comes into its own. When you pay 9.99 for some 01 model ski and just use it when you know the bases will take a hammering.
snow report
Edmundh009 wrote:
When you pay 9.99 for some 01 model ski

Now I'm envious! I know just the 01 ski I'd want, too.

But, yes, and my original point was that fatter skis get less torn up.
ski holidays
I wouldn't go too fat after 10 years or so away. He will want to be able to get around the pistes in between all the good bits.
An 80 waist is as far as I would go until really comfortable and Legends sound fine. Maybe Recons as well. Skis that aren't so cumbersome to work and have a decent on-piste performance would be a starting point in this instance for me
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice - I think I will go with what most suggest and try to find a hire shop that will let me hire/borrow some skis for a couple of weeks on the proviso that I later buy some from them. Does anyone have any thoughts on boots? Not so much specific models but more an approach to buying them. Should I do the same as with the skis i.e. rent for a couple of weeks and then buy, or should I buy straightaway. Also buy in London before going out or buy in Verbier.

My original plan had been to buy at Profeet in London. Has anyone any experience buying boots there?
ski holidays
aseeto wrote:
My original plan had been to buy at Profeet in London. Has anyone any experience buying boots there?

Yes, I bought new boots there last autumn. I was extremely impressed with the whole process. My bootfitter, Hamish, was extremely knowledgeable, and was able to work with my problem shape feet through a combination of right initial boot choice and stretching the boots in the right places. He also spent some time correcting my alignment, and it was good to see what he was talking about illustrated by the pressure mats and in-house videoing that they do. All in all it was more than worth the £100 fitting charge (including custom footbeds).
ski holidays
aseeto,

I would buy boots in the UK if I could find the right deal but then again Verbier should have some really good shops and you can pop back off the slopes to have them sorted easily enough.

If you have problematical feet though then I would go to Profeet for a thorough tune.
snow conditions
For boots go and see Surefoot or Mountain Air in Verbier for the best service, buying them in resort means that any problems can be sorted out easily.

You can't really have a ski too fat, unless it's Machetes but then reverse sidecut is just plain weird. Once you've had fat, you'll not go back.

I spent 8 years snowboarding, I took it up when skis were still skinny and shapeless, skiing pow then was such hard work that I went out on a snowboard 1 day and bought 1 the next! Then four winters ago I took up skiing again... mmMMmmmMMmmmmMMmmm

You'll be pleased not to be snowboarding in Verbier, I've tried, it's very limiting unless you like walking Wink

Don't buy skis just yet, wait till you're out there and then see what's what. If you want your skis to allow you to rip like the snowboard you'll be getting some proper fat boys, long too. Turning is for whimps. Skullie

The Dirt Bag Sale is a good place to get cheap gear if you're there around mid December, it was meant for all the ski bums to buy and sell their kit but has been invaded a little by some of the local shops, still good for bargains.

Enjoy Verbier, counting down the days before I go home...
latest report
parlor, thanks for that, I know what you mean about snowboarding in Verbier, I have only been there once and spent a lot of time traversing/walking and generally struggling to keep up with some skiing friends. Do you have any other general Verbier tips e.g. where is the best place to get groceries (we will have a car, so could drive down to Martigny or somewhere like that), any good, relatively cheap restaurants/bars in the resort, also, i was planning on getting quite a few lessons so any thoughts on ski schools or specific instructors. Somebody had mentioned there was a discount if you purchase your ski pass be fore a certain date, do tyou know what the date is and if you can purchase it online?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In reverse order...

www.verbier.ch for the discounted lift pass, not sure when the date ends but it'll have all of the info on the site.

Toby or Gemma at ESS for lessons depending on what you want to achieve, Toby will push you hard in all aspects, Gemma will take things at your pace. There were two new schools last year, Altitude Extreme & Powder Extreme both offering higher end coaching but no idea what they're like. Also worth knowing that Warren Smith is based in Verbier during the winter, it's possible to get one-on-one coaching with him, or one of his boys, or do a whole weeks course.

There are some reasonably priced restaurants, they're easy to spot, they're the ones without the Michelin stars Wink You'll be OK for Pizza, Pasta and some local dishes, the mix is pretty much split between 'just about affordable' and 're-mortgage the house expensive'. However much you miss spicy food NEVER be tempted to eat at the Indian near Migros...

Mont Fort for half price drinks at apres ski is the only cheap drinking in resort (I think the Farinet has a happy hour too), other than that the prices are similar to London. Lot's of cool bars, you'll find the one that suits your vibe...

Most of the shopping will be split between Migros & Coop in resort, somethings are cheaper in one than the other but then the selection is different too. Try to avoid getting caught short and having to shop in Primo, expensive and long queues. Again, shopping isn't actually as expensive as often perceived. I would recommend a trip down to Martigny to pick up some bulk stuff to keep you going - large packs of beer etc. where you will save a few francs.

What's your plan for the winter?
snow report
Ive just got abck into skiing and spent a few hours at the snowdome, i then got my oen boots.... big improvement.... i then demo'd some excellent ski's from eliis brighams.... holy sh1te..... now I'm an olympic downhill slamon street fighter !

Good skis made a big difference to me I didnt realise how much until i tried some.
latest report
parlor, thanks for all the info - my wife and I have rented an apartment in verbier for the season and will be living there full time, we have a 4 month old daughter so there won't be many late nights and the skiing will have to work in around child care arrangements. We mainly want to improve our skiing and our French and spend time with our daughter. Kind of having a delayed gap year.
latest report
I'm having a delayed gap life Very Happy

You'll need this: http://www.chaletservicesverbier.com/

Good luck with the French Wink

Life is hard at the moment, I HAVE to sail the Atlantic in Novemeber, coming back from the Caribbean late December so this year I'm not coming out until January (might have to make it for NYE actually). We should drink beer...
ski holidays
parlor, drop me an email from my profile on this site before you head out at christmas and we can arrange to meet up
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy