Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA baggage allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
At New Year we're flying with BA Manchester - Heathrow - Nice. Reading their Ts & Cs it appears that ski equipment is included in the 23kg weight allowance. Obviously it is pretty unlikely that my baggage is going to come in under 23kg, unless I take only one change of clothes...

Does anyone have any previous experiences with BA, skis and weight allowance?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, are you flying both with BA? I know that some airlines will allow an international weight on a domestic flight - if the domestic is a sector on the international trip. (I had that experience in Montana this year, at the check-in desk they weighed my bag and my skis together, and were about to charge me for them, then they looked again, and saw I was flying on from Minneapolis, so they took my skis off the scales, and booked both bags through.)
Now, on the downside, some airlines consider Europe as domestic. If that's the case, you need to be clever...
Take your boots as hand luggage, and stuff your boot bag as full as possible. If the bag doesn't look that big, and you carry it like it's not heavy when checking in, then you should be fine with that.
Put as much as you can into the ski bag. If you're lucky, they may not weigh it, and when they go to put the tag on it, hold it up off the scales!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flown BA skiing a few times with no issues, carrying boots & skis. I only got close to 30kg for one bag when I was off to Oz for 3 weeks and it included 2 adults clothes. Wear heavy stuff like your jacket etc.

I don't think they will let you take boots on as hand luggage now, potential weapon etc etc!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, I haven't flown BA on a ski trip for a few years, but had no problem with the boots on other airlines. Most of the airlines have reduced or changed their baggage rules in the last few months, I think the longhaul ones have dropped down to about 50kg total weight.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, I used to use BA for long weekends to Switzerland, before Jet2 came along. They were never concerned about baggage weight then at all, although they may have tightened up over the last couple of years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sure I read somewhere post 9/11 that airlines weren't going to allow boots on as hand luggage? Maybe I didn't !!
cheers,

greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chaps, BA have no issue with you taking ski boots in hand luggage - done it a few times now, last time was last month.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Returning from Munich last May, I was given a hard time at the check-in. They said they could waive up to 5kg extra. I had little hand luggage and offered to repack, so they let it pass. It was the first time BA had weighed my skis.
But Swiss codeshare on some routes. As far as I can see, their allowance is 30kg, plus skis go free.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My personal theory is that airlines should charge for the number of kilograms carried, including passengers and baggage. Why should the charges levied depend on whether the payload consists of suitcases, skis, or large backsides? Everyone from a 2 year old to a grossly overweight adult pays the same to get on the plane, which is very rough justice. And even just looking at the baggage, now that so many airlines charge extra for skis, someone with skis could well end up paying MORE than someone with a much greater weight of baggage.

How entertaining could it be at check in, as passengers who had declared they were 8 stone were asked to get on the scales alongside their suitcases! I have been weighed at check-in for scheduled and charter flights where the passenger numbers were too small to be able to rely safely on average weights - but the result did not affect what we paid. Just as well for my Tongan fellow-passengers, on one flight, as not one of them was less than 20 stone.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear the boots hehehe
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy