Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Towing a Luggage Trailer Across France, Belgium, Austia, Italy.

Poster: A snowHead
We'll have 6 bods in our 7 seater for our schlep to Selva in 3 weeks time, this leaves no room for luggage. I'm no fan of piling stuff on the roof for multiple reasons. I'm going to convert an Erde 122 trailer into a fully enclosed, ski racked custom luggage trolley. Any rules and regs that I need to be aware of in any of the above countries? Thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski, you mean this?

I would imagine there's a speed limit for such a thing. That would be where I'd start looking. A biiiiiig roofbox has to be a better idea or there are those Thule towbar boxes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been down the roofbox route before, it wrecks the economy and the handling. Confused The extra weight over another axle makes more sense. Madeye-Smiley I hope. Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In France, trailers need to have a separate registration if they have a rated load of more than 500kg. However:

a) This probably doesn't apply
b) I think it would only apply to French-registered vehicles anyway...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski, by the way, you missed out Germany and that's somewhere I'd rather be keeping up with the traffic and not caught up with the slower moving stuff on the inside lane. Regardless of the regs, I can't imagine that thing is stable over 60 and, presumably, you're about to make it more top-heavy with your mods.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yeah, a large chunk of Germany. You're not diggin' my Erde plan there Bode? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, nah, really not my idea of fun. I mean, yours is a long journey before you even leave the Ukay, then say another 750 miles to Selva. So there and back is a couple o' thousand miles. Making progress at the usual 80-90+ is massively different to picking your overtaking moments and realistically doing more like 55-60 - your passengers will probably gang up and kill you. Hit one big pothole, gust of wind, have to brake hard (that thing is unbraked), get a big wobble on and it could be good-bye gear. Trailers like that are OK for going down the dump or collecting logs but on the autobahn? Hmmm. If it was braked and had two axles then maybe but, from me anyway, it's a big Nah. There just has to be a better way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski, and, oh yeah, does it have winter tyres? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Mollerski, you mean this?

I would imagine there's a speed limit for such a thing.

80 km/h in germany - still was only a 25 euro fine (about 6 years ago..)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That'll be 49.7 mph then Laughing

After pee breaks and time to stand back and admire said trailer, the average speed will be into the 30s.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski, I have done lots of towing over the years...and I mean lots!Mostly boats,but general trailers as well.The trailer you are looking at is nothing special,but quite adequate if not overloaded(big no no!!).Un-braked,lightweight construction..particulary tow bar and hitch,which is pressed steel.I would consider the following essential on a long trip.....

Complete spare wheel..pref two.Dont risk tyre only,puncture at speed will trash the rim.
Wheel bearing sets....2 wheels,2 sets.
Additional safety chain.The fitted ones are rubbish,and will,most likely,snap if trailer breaks off hitch.

During journey keep checking hubs and tyres for wear/movement.These lightweight trailers are not built for extensive/long range use.Its not for nothing that the likes of Ifor Williams are built like brick outhouses wink

Most important...when your vehicle is fully loaded...make sure you have a good view of the trailer.The last thing you want is to be blissfully unaware of trouble,whilst your trailer has thrown a wheel and is thrashing itself to bits up yer rear Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swallow your pride, and buy a decent roofbox, ours has made very little difference to fuel comsumption. Or hire a better trailer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski, I tow a trailer down to the Alps in the summer, but it is a Anssamm (sp?) one which has proper car wheels. Again is an unbraked one, but it tracks at a steady 70mph without issue. I wouldn't want to tow a little trailer like that.

As Hells Bells, says swallow your pride and fit a roof box - you do not want to be towing a trailer on snowy roads IMV.

We drive to skiing in a 7-seater with only 5 people, but 7 sets of luggage (my parents fly/train and let us take their stuff) - we have a large roofbox and at steady 80mph don't see a serious drop in mpg, probably 40ish down to 35, this is a diesel SEAT Alhambra

With 3-kids and self catering we have A LOT of stuff!!!

Have never noticed a handling issue in strong winds, ok you need to be alert to the odd twitch, but no more so than towing a trailer
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can you not get one of those platforms that sit on the towbar, you can get ones with fairly
big boxes or platforms on them, and stick all the gear in that.

failing that hire a 12 seater !!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Worst accident I have seen in 30+ years of driving to the Alps was the remains of a car up the embankment and the trailer upside down underneath the central barrier about 50m further on, The contents of car and trailer were scattered across both carriageways.
Motorway closed whilst helicopter landed and clearing up took place etc etc Sad
ski holidays
Thanks guys. Madeye-Smiley Odd as it may sound, I'm no trailer novice. I have two ribs on trailers, the biggest being 7m, we also have a 2.5t mini digger which we carry on a 3.5t Ifor plant trailer, an Ifor tipping trailer and an Ifor unbraked cage sided trailer. I also have roofboxes. wink By converting the Erde, I was attempting to reduce the 'overkill' of dragging a unnecessarilly heavy trailer 2500 miles. I might revise the roofbox option. Confused
snow conditions
I love using my trailer..... slightly bigger than the 123 here.... but on the tow bar of a V8 you hardly notice that it's there!! Very Happy
latest report
Mollerski, Years ago I converted a trailer not much bigger than that to transport camping gear, inflatable boat, outboard motor, and four mountain bikes when our car ran out of space!

We did runs of up to 650miles to Northern Scotland without too many problems. (Except on one occasion with a bigger trailer and a wheel came off - but that is another story)

Advantage over loading the roof etc; The car does not get dangerously overloaded (a people carrier with most seats full, stuffed with gear and a big roofbox could easily be overloaded), fuel economy is good, because you go slower it can be very good.

Disadvantages: You need to keep it slow, realistic max 60mph. Security not good, as everything is at an easily accessible level. Another vehicle that can go wrong.

Would I want to do it now it now for an alpine trip - not if I could find a better way, but I would not rule it out altogether.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Thanks guys. Madeye-Smiley Odd as it may sound, I'm no trailer novice.

Then that you have asked the question in the first place means you have come on here to get reassurance that you have no need to worry. You ain't going to get it.

Little trailers like that are not up to going any distance at any speed. And by the time you've "converted" it into a high-sided wind-catching device the instability is mind boggling.

Why not hire yourself a minibus instead? Or investigate a courier for your skis.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Thanks guys. Madeye-Smiley Odd as it may sound, I'm no trailer novice.

Then that you have asked the question in the first place means you have come on here to get reassurance that you have no need to worry. You ain't going to get it.

My post was regarding the differing legal requirements re. towing across Europe, not for an assassination of my dear little Erde. rolling eyes

I think I'm upto assessing the ability/suitabilty of my trailers thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be provocative/difficult. I did feel you were uncertain about the whole idea when you wrote:

Mollerski wrote:
The extra weight over another axle makes more sense. Madeye-Smiley I hope. Puzzled

And I don't think I can disagree with the theory. It's just when it's the difference between 50 and 80mph...
latest report
Mollerski, they will check you if they find you doing over 100kmh anywhere along the German autobahns. I often see foreign cars pulling trailers being checked over by the German police. And they do not need an excuse either, so sticking to the 100kmh limit may not keep you safe.

Saying that, I am often passed by German vehicles trailing all sorts of trailers doing way more than the permitted 100kmh.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Thanks Sue, I'm moving towards the twin roofbox option. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Apart from having to drive more slowly the trailer option is the one I would take - I drive a VW Caravelle and it goes home empty and back to the alps full, at least twice a year - I would always tow something rather than tie it to the roof for a long journey - wear and tare on the vehicle being a big factor.
snow report
Still think that some variation on these has to be an option - as it will not increase the drag too much

http://www.bak-rak.com/basket-rak.htm

http://www.carracks.co.uk/bike-racks/towbar-mounting.html
snow conditions
And we are now going live to a lonely autobahn somewhere in mid Germany...

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/stunts/The_Wrong_Way_To_Tow_A_Trailer/
snow report
Mollerski, I know nothing about towing but you need to think about a good place to park it when you are down in your holiday destination. We have lots of summer trailers at our French place, with building stuff, boats, etc but I can't remember seeing one in winter. We have a covered parking space, but we'd not get a trailer in there, and free space outside is at a bit of a premium in busy weeks. Vehicles with trailers seem to go just as fast as everything else on the French motorways. Not sure about toll charges - but you'd go through some of the barriers more easily with a trailer than with a big car with roof boxes on.
ski holidays
pam w, We stay at the Hotel Flora in Selva, which has spaces in the huge, rather secret, underground carpark under the main street in Selva. Parking the trailer wont be an issue. Thanks all the same. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.pisteofmind.com/index.php?route=information/prices#

What about this (stolen shamelessly from another thread)? It seems to me that if you can get 2 pairs of skis into a bag, it's only £150 return. The cost of towing your trailer is likely to be close to that?
latest report
If fuel consumption/handling is a reason to not use a roof box, I don't know why you're thinking about a trailer?!
snow report
anotherproblem wrote:
If fuel consumption/handling is a reason to not use a roof box, I don't know why you're thinking about a trailer?!

If you "don't know", then I won't bother attempting to explain. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Mollerski, I know how a roofbox can negatively affect handling, and the effect on fuel consumption through drag is negligible (There are multiple threads on that here). I'm just a little lost at how you feel a car with a trailer will be better on fuel and better to drive. I've driven a lot with both, and would only use a trailer over a roofbox if what I wanted to carry was just too heavy or big to go on the roof
snow report
A big roofbox is definitely the way to go. When I lived in the UK I drove many times down to the Alps with the car and roofbox fully loaded. Handling is hardly affected and I honestly did not notice any significant increase in fuel consumption.
As many have said the speed limit is 80km/h in Germany and they will pull you. The other and perhaps more important thing is that on much of the motorway in Germany you can't overtake if you are towing between 7am and 7pm. You have to sit in the nearside lane and follow the wagons. That can add a hell of a lot of time onto your journey. If you get spotted overtaking then you are in for a big on the spot fine.
The only other thing I'd add is that most of the modern roofboxes are also a hell of a lot more weatherproof than trying to keep water out of a trailer if the weather is bad.
ski holidays
I have towed a dinghy loaded with sailing gear + mountain bikes to Lake Garda on several occasions and had the cruise control set at 75 mph anything over and it got a wobble on! No noticeable increase in fuel consumption as you would have with a top box.
snow conditions
Fogliettaz wrote:
I have towed a dinghy loaded with sailing gear + mountain bikes to Lake Garda on several occasions and had the cruise control set at 75 mph anything over and it got a wobble on!

You may choose to play with your own life like that, but I am not impressed that you choose to play with the lives of others. There is a reason that trailers are restricted in speed to well below that.

To tow a trailer at the absolute maximum at which it doesn't wobble leaves you with no room for error (a gust of wind, say).
ski holidays

"I like trailors. I like Roof boxes. But which is best? There's only one way to find out..."

Seriously, this debate has surely reached a sensible conclusion by now. I'd rather chuck a couple of close friends out of the car than tow one of those things.
latest report
Ok, new Land Rover (Thule re-badged) roofbox has arrived. I've bowed to SH popular opinion and will be running twin ski boxes. I've concluded my previously dire experience with loaded roofs was due to our long gone Mitzy Shogun LWB having a prehistoric suspension system.I'm hoping that the clever Discovery air suss should deal with up top weight far better. The plan is to load the boxes with skis and light clothing only. Off in 4 days and it's dumping out there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy