Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, some general questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Tignes for a week in late January, our first time there, maybe someone can help with these questions. (We are stating in Hotel Village Montana)

1. What's the drive up like ? Does the road get cleaned quick if it's snowy?
2. Where is good for lunch on the mountain during the day? And what's a good bar for an apres drink?
3. What's a good area for intermediate off piste action (snowboarding)? Also I've been reading the pistes get crowded, any areas that have less people?

Thanks!
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve driven up there quite a few times. Obviously depends how heavy the snow is falling, if at all. Last year it snowed heavily on the way up so road was snow covered. Had no problems though on the All Season tyres. You need chains as well, not sure if you were aware of that?
You driving from UK? One hit? Done that a few times but stopping overnight this time close to Troyes.
Traffic can get really heavy around the tunnel system depending on time/day of travel. What day and time are you going?
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Driving from Barcelona, I also have all season tires, 8 hour drive so should arrive 17:30 ish
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For apres it HAS to be the new Cocorico!! It's a big terrace with live bands.

It's in Val Claret, next to the Lanches chair near the half pipe.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mrvinegar wrote:
Going to Tignes for a week in late January, our first time there, maybe someone can help with these questions. (We are stating in Hotel Village Montana)

2. Where is good for lunch on the mountain during the day? And what's a good bar for an apres drink?
3. What's a good area for intermediate off piste action (snowboarding)? Also I've been reading the pistes get crowded, any areas that have less people?

Thanks!

Also, worth looking at this thread too - a couple of Tignes residents and a lot of regular vistors post there https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3321849#3321849
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mrvinegar wrote:

Thanks!

1. Yes it gets cleared but avoid Saturday mornings to miss the worst of the traffic. The snowfall can overwhelm the clearance efforts, especially if the road is full of traffic that cannot move. Make sure you take chains or have winter tyres.
2. The only place on the mountain that I don't like it the restaurant 3/4 way down Palafour. Everywhere else is good, but expect mountain prices. Apres is very 'Marmite' but the new Cocorico at Val Claret will appeal to most ages and tastes.
3. If you don't know the area, take a guide. People are killed in Espace Killy every year. There is so much easy access to vast amounts of off piste and some of it is never very safe, some of it is very safe and very enjoyable. Be shown where you can safely go. Pistes are only crowded in very high season and never as crowded as places like La Plagne. With 300km of pistes, it's not possible to just list ones to avoid, as time of day is often important.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bar shaker, the self service on Piste Henri is not very good either. Otherwise can;t think if anywhere else that is poor (never been to the one on Palafour)
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy