Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
I see at least some of the First area is open, I saw skiers on the webcam earlier, snow continues to build slowly at Klene Scheidegg and for the first time so far this season the grass has almost completely vanished, hopefully by tomorrow it will be gone, if they can get 20 cm more by tomorrow morning I think at least some of the runs will get opened though probably not all of them, If I were to guess which runs, I'd say punchbowl may nave enough snow, the blue (22?) down to Brandegg, probably the blue down to Wengeneralp, maybe even down to Allmend (not too sure about that) and if they can open it they will do Lauberhorn and Wixi sides of the Lauberhorn, Honegg may have problems as the ridge there is often windswept, there may also be enough to open Mannlichen down to the chairlifts (maybe the gondola middlestation but I doubt that as they don't like using it these days). Ideally I'd like at least another 30 cm to make opening of the runs down to Wengen and Inner Wengen a certainty, there's not enough there yet to do so, the piste machines would just mix in the mud with the snow

Oh and can someone give the DHO webcam a kick please it stopped updating at 10.20 this morning
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DHO webcam stuck again! Now rebooked and arriving Friday - LET IT SNOW
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skilegs, will keep fingers crossed for you to have a very merry white Christmas in Wengen

DHO Cam working again, more snow there since morning

Someone just needs to give the Murren cam a kick now

Snow now down to Interlaken valley floor, though does look very light down there

So far Wengen has not has had as much snow as I hoped they'd get but has had more than I feared they'd get, if temps had only dropped a little earlier yesterday they would I think have done very nicely thank you.

Forecast until midweek looks like cold with snow showers, a possible change of wind direction around Wednesday could bring the air much warmer again and with that change comes more precipitation, but if it will fall as rain or snow at resort level is currently too close to call, at the moment it looks like it will arrive overnight which hopefully will mean snow, from Friday temps will once again (I think) drop,with further light snow, Christmas eve looks like a cold day with a small chance of light snow. If everything currently forecast for next week falls as snow I see the whole area being open and knee deep for Christmas, if some falls as rain I still thing the upper slopes will be very nice, but skiing back to resort might be sticky.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skilegs, Good decision, it's looking good.

Popped up to Scheidegg for lunch. Very weird, no people at all but restaurants open.

There's a lot of snow up there, but you can see the effect of the wind - most of the roofs are bare. Lots of pisting going on.

Back in the village things are beginning to look very festive.

And yes, there's been a lot of snow even down here!

There's easily enough snow to open the run back to the village - it's the higher pistes that have suffered from the wind. Village opening tonight, so should be able to get the gondola up to Mannlichen to see how things are up there. Free train rides to Almend for togogganing too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is SO encouraging - thank you very much Mike.
And David your reports are brilliant - remember if I win the lottery tonight..................
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike, what's that about 20 cm of fresh in Wengen ? if it hadn't been for that sudden warm spell yesterday it might well have been closer to 40cm of fresh, but I'm glad it's looking good for now
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skilegs, Glad that everything has turned out OK for you - enjoy your Christmas in Wengen! (I'll be arriving there on 14th Jan for a week, so keep the snow for me please) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf wrote:
telford_mike, what's that about 20 cm of fresh in Wengen ? if it hadn't been for that sudden warm spell yesterday it might well have been closer to 40cm of fresh, but I'm glad it's looking good for now

Yeah that'd be about right, maybe a tad more.

Difficult one for the Jungfraubahn. They could pretty much open the whole area, but I don't think they really want to open the lower slopes until closer to Christmas. I can't see them getting away with just leaving things as they are though. There'll be a lot of unhappy people if they don't open a few runs tomorrow. After all, they're selling ski-passes!

Weird to see a complete absence of piste markers on the way down from Scheidegg this afternoon. A mate of mine who works on the Mannlichenbahn reckons nothing much will open until Monday.

A few more people seem to be arriving tonight, but the village is quiet. Still slightly snowing with more to come tomorrow apparently. Temp -2C.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike, thanks for sharing...keep them coming !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike,
Quote:

Weird to see a complete absence of piste markers on the way down from Scheidegg this afternoon. A mate of mine who works on the Mannlichenbahn reckons nothing much will open until Monday.

Not really most of the markers don't get put in until the snow is down and the piste machines start working, I think it's probably because the slope can change slightly each year (especially in some areas) and with different piste machine drivers they like to place the poles in suitable locations that they are happy with, until the machines start making the pistes they can't really do that, the only real exceptions are the bits along track ways such as the blues to Wengen, Grund and halfway down the Mannlichen.

I think your mate may be right, not just a matter of piste bashing the snow, they have to put in the marker poles for the pistes as you've mentioned, and may have extra safety work to do on top of that, probably shifting some deep snow drifts and using them to cover windblown areas as well
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grey and chilly day today. A few lifts open at Murren, but nothing over here. We had another few cms of snow last night - enough to mean that Val had to sweep the steps again.

View from our balcony. This is about the clearest moment we had all day.

Piste machine working on the nursery slopes this afternoon, but they still won't run the lifts for the kids, which seems a bit mean. I suppose if they did every man and his dog would tear the piste to bits.

Temp 0C.

Might have to go to Murren tomorrow Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my friend's chalet's in that picture!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My new friends chalet is in that picture Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guessing you must all be out skiing as you're not on here posting about the weather?

Has any of you been to Murren yet? Are there any new lifts or mountain bars for this season in the region?

We are going 7th jan and are getting excited now the snow has arrived.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
suzysue2 wrote:
Guessing you must all be out skiing as you're not on here posting about the weather?

Has any of you been to Murren yet? Are there any new lifts or mountain bars for this season in the region?

All lifts are open except the following at the moment -

Kandahar,Muttleren and Riggli Chairlifts (all below Birg is open including restaurants etc)

Murren 65cm / 220cm Schilthorn

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region/muerren-schilthorn/

Murren webcam (Eiger Hotel)

Stechelberg webcam (snow In the valley)
latest report
Well the Grass at Kleine Scheidegg is finally fully covered and they've been making snow at Innerwengen since yesterday, can't see any sign of pite marker poles going in yet on any of the webcams so no pistes open around Wengen yet I'd guess, they may be waiting till midweek to see if they get rain or snow, still 50:50 as to which will happen on Wednesday/Thursday although I'm now leaning towards it falling as snow, assuming it is snow this week then area should be open pretty soon
ski holidays
telford_mike, looks like your in the Breithorn appts
ski holidays
Piste machines have been busy up at Kl Scheidegg and Mannlichen, looks like opening of upper pistes will take place soon, I'd guess maybe tomorrow or more likely Wednesday, subject to their placing marker poles along the pistes, I would watch out for thin/bare patches though, bound to be a few spots
snow report
D G Orf, what a reilef, i arrive Saturday! whoop whoop!

Are any other SHs in Wengen for Christmas and NY?
ski holidays
suzysue2, Just back from a good day at Murren. Absolutely tons of snow. Everything open apart from Birg / Schilthorn.

As you can see, Val's wearing her usual understated outfit this season.

Snowed all last night, tons of new snow everywhere. Temp +1C. Mannlichen / Scheidegg open on Wednesday.

Chris Brookes, OK I admit it, I had a lovely day in Murren!

More pics on my blog if anyone's interested
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Piste machines have been busy up at Kl Scheidegg and Mannlichen, looks like opening of upper pistes will take place soon, I'd guess maybe tomorrow or more likely Wednesday, subject to their placing marker poles along the pistes, I would watch out for thin/bare patches though, bound to be a few spots

I've just added the Pinocchio Lift/Scheidegg webcam to the time-lapse site to keep an eye on how things are progressing up at KS.

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Wengen-Webcam/997-Webcam-Wengen-weather.php

Telford_Mike wrote:
suzysue2, Just back from a good day at Murren. Absolutely tons of snow. Everything open apart from Birg / Schilthorn.

Mike, what did you have to say that for, Chris_Brookes is going to be insufferable now rolling eyes
snow report
The following lifts are open from today:
In Wengen: Skilift Figeller & Wengiboden

From Wednesday, 21st December 2011:
Cablecar Wengen-Männlichen and Grindelwald-Männlichen
Skilift Männlichen
Skislope open until station Holenstein

The following lifts expected to open from 21st December 2011:
Kleine Scheidegg, Arvengarten.

Via Facebook Very Happy
snow report
suzysue2 wrote:

Chris has already posted this - in our #1 thread - great if you like (can afford!)a sit-down lunch, but you'll have to Q on the (cold) terrace for (overpriced) sausages and snacks if you want to maximise your time on the slopes.
http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/schilthorn/bistro-birg/
No new lifts this year, we're all waiting for the Wixi replacement next season
http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/company/buildings-projects/current-projects/chairlift-wixi/
In Wengen, the new timetable for the WAB up to Kleine Scheidegg now that the new passing loop between Wengen & Allmend is finished (?)should reduce waiting times in Wengen, hopefully avoiding some of the 09:00 to 10:15 skischool rush.

Telford_Mike - any evidence of the December timetable yet? - Jungfraubahn site still has the 2011 version rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ooh thanks guys, pictures are great and we are very jealous of you being out there. Do you know of any entertainment in murren at night? Maybe live music? We will be staying in the hotel Eiger again but don't mind a walk out. We will be there for a week from jan 7th . Cheers
ski holidays
sherlockis, The new timetable started today. It's very different! The trains don't pause at Wengen for 10 minutes like they used to - you jump on and they're away! Connections seem better too - it seemed a very quick trip over to Murren today.

D G Orf, Correct. We're in the Breithorn. Breithorn USP - washing machine & tumble drier!

Temps are plummeting - now -6C on our balcony. Shocked More snow tomorrow apparently snowHead
snow report
telford_mike, we used to rent the first floor of the Chalet Berghalde many years ago which is next door, in those days we had fabulous views across the valley to the waterfall at lunchtime and with the long line of windows in the lounge were able to watch the sun set and the peaks change colour in the evening
snow report
telford_mike, thanks for the picture from Murren,lovely !!

Where did you have lunch today?

ps..Murren lift rumours flying around again locally: watch this space for a new lift planned in 2014 wink
snow report
telford_mike, just played the video clip of the huskies pulling the sledge and has just freaked my dogs out...lol
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ooh, I'm so excited now! I arrive Saturday, we're staying in the Baren.

Anyone there fancy meeting up to ski with a fellow SH?
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:

ps..Murren lift rumours flying around again locally: watch this space for a new lift planned in 2014 wink

Does that mean that the Gimmeln drag might finally be replaced? - shame, as it's usually very quiet in the ski bar there 'cos everyone hates the drag Smile
latest report
Expect something like 15cm of fresh snow today at resort level I think, probably more tomorrow as well though there is a possibility it might fall as rain on lower slopes assuming its going to snow there should be another 10cm or so before Thursday morning. There should also be light snow Christmas Eve and then currently it looks like maybe a break of fine weather between Christmas and New Year
snow conditions
D G Orf, woo hoo!!
snow report
Snowed all day. Easily an additional 30cm in the village, probably more it's getting hard to tell!

Blizzard up at Scheidegg:

High street in Grindelwald closed while they cleared the snow at lunchtime:

So who knows what'll happen tomorrow.

The promises of Mannlichen and Arven seem to have been withdrawn - it was really windy at Scheidegg today. Avalanche danger has to be very high too.

Chris Brookes, We ate at a hotel called the Bellevue I think. Just at the bottom of the nursery slope, about 50 metres up from the Almendhubelbahn. I had fish & chips, very nice too!
snow report
Have the deer steak with dauphinoise pots at The Bellevue in the room on the right as you go in.......utterly fabulous.

Hey SuzySue2 have a great time this year (but don't scare off the trainee doctors wink. We're off to St Anton this time...over Christmas. Can't wait :->
ski holidays
Well I did tell people I'd do the snow dance etc so they could have a nice white Christmas Laughing
latest report
Hey Blewyn you and the mrs enjoy st Anton, and have a lovely Christmas. We are going with some good friends and really looking forward to it as they are too. Enjoying seeing all the snowy pics, was a tad scared there may be snow to start with, lol.
snow conditions
sherlockis wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Does that mean that the Gimmeln drag might finally be replaced? - shame, as it's usually very quiet in the ski bar there 'cos everyone hates the drag Smile

Every year rumours fly around about that awful T-bar but until the ownership of land etc is sorted it will stay

New lift not a replacement wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Every year rumours fly around about that awful T-bar but until the ownership of land etc is sorted it will stay

Rather like the Lauberhorn lift, the family who owns the lift does not I'm told get along with those who own the land immediately below theirs, thus the silly stagger up the hill to get on the lift from the station, one of these days they will sort something out to make that lift easier, though with the new Wixi chair being built next year I wonder if it will further reduce the numbers using the Lauberhorn, family disputes are one of the reasons the old Salzegg lift stayed as a drag lift for so long, it only changed because regulations forced them to build a new lift, which in turn forced them to talk to their neighbours Shocked

On the plus side I note that Kl Scheidegg has had something like six inches of snow in the last 3 hours judging from the footprints left by the side of the snowplough in the station
snow conditions
Snow depth in Murren today Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Mannlichen cablecar open this morning as is the Arven chair up at Kl Scheidegg, Mannlichen chairlift also open but not Lager chair, I just spotted the piste machine at work on the Blue run from Kl Scheidegg towards Grund so suspect that will open at least as far as Brandegg very soon, Blue from Kl Scheidegg to Wengen also open but that's it so farfor the upper slopes, Wengen Nursery slope also open.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy