Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Continuing on from@telford_mike, report. We skied Mürren side. Winteregg and Schiltgrat, if the Inferno participants were removed we would literally have been the only group on the hill.
Snow condition excellent and snowing hard at lunchtime let's hope it continues all night!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, My name is Mike and I am from the White Mountains in NH. What a great forum. Can I get a link to this DHO webcam I see mentioned? Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SKIBUMnNH wrote:
Hi, My name is Mike and I am from the White Mountains in NH. What a great forum. Can I get a link to this DHO webcam I see mentioned? Thanks in advance.

https://www.mikeeasley.co.uk/cam.html just the direct feed from the village cams, with minute by minute updates.

Or https://downhillonly.com/dho-live-cameras-and-weather/ if you want the full DHO coverage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank You!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SKIBUMnNH, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Have you been to the Jungfrau region, many of us posters here are regular visitors to this amazing place.

P.S I've skied in the White Mountains of New Hampshire at Loon and Cannon (also visited the Ski Museum there) and was able to see the Old Man of the Mountain before it sadly collapsed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With all the new snow, when will more runs be open - am arriving tomorrow Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skilegs, yes, more runs open today, most significantly Rohr, to provide an easy way from Männlichen to Scheidegg without having to slither down Honegg. Cannons are going full blast, so hopefully the run back to the village will reopen soon.

Very cold, -7C at the moment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a positive note @skilegs, the open runs are in good shape.
Today I had a fantastic powder day, however talking with some British visitors they were disappointed how much of First ( Grindelwald) was unavailable.
We had around 25 - 35cms of snow last night, as I said, great powder but as yet simply not enough volume to complete rebuilding some of the pistes.
Very simply we need significantly more snow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skiing is vastly improved and snow making is obviously going to help further Wenge run home has plenty of snow on it but they are making snow whilst the Temps are so low.Runs to Inner Wengen are excellent on the lauberhorn.piste
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cannon working on the Figeller this afternoon. It’s really cold - minus 10 in the village at the moment.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nope, Never been. I will be arriving in Grindelwald 2/19. For 8 days. Then heading to Zermatt for 9 days. Then doing the Glacier Express over to St Moritz for 7 days then a day in Zurich. Did a week in Zermatt 37 years ago and a day walking around in town in St Moritz. Very excited. Skiing and ski instructing has brought me to many places. Thank you for those beautiful pictures!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SKIBUMnNH, sounds like a great trip! I presume you'll be flying in and out of Zurich? Have you arranged your train tickets yet, if not then you can do it online at https://www.sbb.ch/en. For getting from Zurich airport to Grindelwald the Saver Day Pass is probably the best option as it's totally flexible as regards what time train you take which is useful if your arrival flight should be slightly delayed. The Supersaver ticket is a bit cheaper but is only valid for the particular time train booked.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink wrote:
@SKIBUMnNH, sounds like a great trip! I presume you'll be flying in and out of Zurich? Have you arranged your train tickets yet, if not then you can do it online at https://www.sbb.ch/en. For getting from Zurich airport to Grindelwald the Saver Day Pass is probably the best option as it's totally flexible as regards what time train you take which is useful if your arrival flight should be slightly delayed. The Supersaver ticket is a bit cheaper but is only valid for the particular time train booked.

Thanks....I got the 3 day flex pass. Yup Boston to Zurich non stop. Thank You.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good skiing at Scheidegg today, in very pleasant weather.

Pistes are still mostly artificial, but nice enough to ski. It’s less cold than it has been recently, about -1C in Wengen at the moment. The village and the ski area are pretty quiet - no queues anywhere.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked at the map and seen that Fallboden has disappeared. Looking at skiresort.info it says it closed at the end of last season. has anyone heard anything about the replacement which was first talked about when they updated the wixi lift?
ski holidays
LB wrote:
Just looked at the map and seen that Fallboden has disappeared. Looking at skiresort.info it says it closed at the end of last season. has anyone heard anything about the replacement which was first talked about when they updated the wixi lift?

There's no talk of a replacement unfortunately, though it would be nice. Good skiing today, particularly if you plotted a route that followed the sun. Tons of artificial snow, but more natural stuff needed, as is common across the Alps. Scheidegg today:

It’s cold, and it looks like we’ll be back in the freezer for the next few days. Hopefully the fog will stay away
snow conditions
Interesting, @LB, in all honesty I doubt Fallboden will ever be replaced.
The uplift capacity to Eigergletscher is huge, Eiger express, Eiger nordwand and you may still use the train from kleine scheidegg. The obvious place for the next investment will be the replacement of Tschuggen t bar, a lift that is extremely unpopular with many.
latest report
Rogerdodger wrote:
The obvious place for the next investment will be the replacement of Tschuggen t bar, a lift that is extremely unpopular with many.

Absolutely. A fast chair from Aspen would be nice Very Happy
latest report
Hi, does anyone know if there is a picnic room in Murren? I can't see anything obvious marked on the piste map.
ski holidays
I think the problem with the Tschuggen t bar is that it is privately owned isnt it - so not something Jungfrau railways can do anything about really.

The bottom station of Wixi was built with a view to a new Fallboden lift which would have probably gone up to Eigergletscher. Without it, there is a break in the loop there.
snow report
@HilbertSpace, on the mountain there is a nice warm cabin directly underneath the top of Riggli chair. In Mürren village I don't think there is anything.
snow conditions
@LB, the ruthless Urs Kessler will never put money into a new Fallboden.
Regarding the private ownership of Tschuggen, they are as safe as the Titanic was unsinkable.
If Kessler decides on a lift upgrade......there will be one.
snow conditions
Skied over at Mürren this morning, Winteregg in fabulous condition.
Schiltgrat ridge and down into Blumental bowl also in top shape.
Blue run off Schiltgrat is extremely thin in places and requires a degree of caution.
Similarly, Gimmeln t bar track is very patchy and demands even greater concentration than normal.
The south facing slope requires significant snow.
snow report
I was planning on going to Verbier this week, but for various reasons, have changed my mind and will be heading to Interlaken and looking to spend 3 days exploring Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald on my board instead.

So if the snow speculatively forecast for later in the week fails to arrive, then it's my fault and I apologise in advance. If it's any consolation, I'll only be boarding Tuesday -Thursday and departing on Friday, so plenty of time for it to dump down before the weekend and some of the Swiss school holidays start next week (I believe)!
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, thanks, fingers crossed for some snow next week, but if not, it’s always nice to have a scapegoat Very Happy Presume you'll be getting the Winterlaken pass?

https://winterlakencard.ch/en/
ski holidays
I am indeed. Having stumbled across it last year, I figured it was too good to resist.

I realise most wouldn't suggest staying in Interlaken for those looking to ski / board the Jungfrau region, but I love a bargain and really don't mind a bit of public transport travel at the start and end of a day.

Hopefully I'll still feel that way on Friday! Very Happy
snow report
@telford_mike (or others): would you recommend a specific order to explore Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald, especially considering forecast of sunshine tomorrow, light snow Wednesday afternoon / evening, snow Thursday?

I'll probably go up Jungfraujoch though so assuming Grindelwald on the sunny day / tomorrow?

Please and thank you in advance
snow report
@jebroni3_16, if you like racking up the miles, then I'd spend the best day (tomorrow) in the area with the biggest range of skiing. Currently that’s Kleine Scheidegg / Männlichen with 64km open. Grindelwald and Mürren both currently have 35km open - still enough for a good day, particularly if you’re not hooning around at maximum speed. Toss a coin to decide which one on which day.

Slope data here: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/slope-data/

After a very busy weekend it was quieter at Scheidegg this morning. Pistes still ok, no rocks or bare patches.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, that ties in with my plan of doing Jungfraujoch tomorrow (49CHF for the extension ticket for that which seems pretty reasonable), so Kleine Scheidegg it is. Thanks!
snow report
@jebroni3_16, if it snows on Thursday then Mürren is probably your best bet - lots of tree-lined runs around Winteregg and Allmendhübel. Most of the skiing at Grindelwald First is a big bowl above the treeline, so better with reasonable viz.
snow conditions
Pretty much a perfect day today. Cold, great snow and sunshine. It wasn’t even busy.

snow report
Agreed @telford_mike, we took the nightmare trip over to First (too complex to explain)
conditions were fantastic and the area very quiet.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
@jebroni3_16, if it snows on Thursday then Mürren is probably your best bet - lots of tree-lined runs around Winteregg and Allmendhübel. Most of the skiing at Grindelwald First is a big bowl above the treeline, so better with reasonable viz.

Thanks. Grindelwald First it is tomorrow then. Is that where you were today?

I didn't think much of Kleine Scheidegg sector today, but I don't think I was helped by the fact my freshly serviced board was sticking like it had been sand-papered and I ended up on a couple of long flat tracks which would have been a pain at the best of times.

Trip up the Jungfraujoch was grand, but by the time I finished there, light was really flat, so decided to play it safe and take train back down.
latest report
@jebroni3_16, we were at Scheidegg, pic above is top of Wixi lift on the Lauberhorn. Tomorrow looking good Very Happy
snow report
Ahhh, I see. I went over there briefly and was enjoying it but thought it was pretty busy (for this time of year)

Then had a skier rejoin a piste from the off-piste in front of me. Saw him, so slowed down, but he wasn't totally in control and didn't seem to see a female skier (not massively confident) very much focused on her own turns.

They got quite close once, before basically meeting again. I don't think she still knew he was there, but he ended up veering back towards the off-piste, colliding with a piste marker pole, and falling.

I boarded down to grab both the ski and the pole he lost to return them to him. He was a bit shook up, so much so that he never thought to say thank you (unless I missed it in his Swiss German, but I only speak the Hoch variety) whilst I tried to encourage him to take a moment.

He was with colleagues who were further down the piste. I'm not sure whether they saw the incident, but from the death stares I received, I assume not and that they thought I was involved / responsible.

Headed for quieter pastures after that!
ski holidays
Another good day, as long as you got an early start. Not busy - no queues but quite cold.

Cloud started rolling in after lunch, and it looks like we might get some weather overnight.
snow conditions
That is a super photograph from a great angle. The old Swiss expected skiers to be fit and healthy.
Visitors today have the assistance of the short drag lift.
Further food for thought....my landlady remembers Lauberhorn chair in its original guise, a t -bar, even the Scottish would be impressed with that!
ski holidays
I am afraid I am old enough to remember the T bar, which was still running on our first couple of trips here. The Mannlichen T bar was even more impressive, running as it did the same route as the current chair.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Another good day, as long as you got an early start. Not busy - no queues but quite cold.

How early are you talking?

I was late to get out this morning and don't think I got to the top of Oberjoch in First until 11:30ish. The cloud really came in as I was going up on the lift, and I could barely see two chairs in front.

However, once I got to the top, despite the cloud still being there, the piste itself was actually visible with surprisingly good light and really good snow. And as the re-service on my board had worked a treat, I had a really good first run of many. The weather was great after that first run too.

Really liked the area as a whole (despite taking a heavy tumble whilst coming too fast down Blue 8 off Schilt in an attempt to carry enough speed through the dip and back up the other side, so as to not have to unclip... a total waste of time then Laughing ) and the final run of the day down Red 22 was gorgeous.

Oh and I got to ride the First Flieger twice too seeing as I seemed to pick a really quiet period.

I really can't complain about the value I'm getting out of my 40CHF Winterlaken Card daily ski pass!
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

How early are you talking?

I really can't complain about the value I'm getting out of my 40CHF Winterlaken Card daily ski pass!

About 9.30, so not really that early! Winterlaken card is an absolute bargain Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy