Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
We went up First this morning at 9:30 and tried to ski Oberjoch as my daughter wanted to go over the diddy jumps leading to the white box slides thingys in the Snow Park. It was a bad idea. I knew it was going to be bad with the weather as we went higher and higher and visibility got less and less. The fresh snow was coming down and it was windy. One very very slow going run later, we went back down the gondola and headed over to K.S. on the train. By then it was noon but visibility was still low. After a nice lunch in the Eiger something restaurant up there at the top of Red 21 we headed down Red 21 and that run got progressively better as the snow eventually stopped and the piste firmed up from the traffic. Our family enjoyed the undulating nature of this run, you can go fast and the uphill section slows you down again. The Mrs said she went the fastest she had ever been on this run! And she’s a very slow and steady going type of skier. So rinse and repeat we did up and down the 21. The sun came out eventually for a bit. All in all, it ended up fine and we had a nice day out after the difficult start in the morning. It did take an hour to get back from K.S. To First gondola where we are staying next to. Might head up the Eiger Express tomorrow for fun and see how long we can tough it out in the weather, wishing for some clear spells to ski between the trees between K.S. working out way over to Mannlichen gondola to get back down - thinking that will be quicker then the cog wheel train. Thanks for the tips all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We’ve tried a few places to eat in Grindelwald so here’s a quick review, hope it helps others here or coming next week

Jasmine Garden - Chinese food, was good and we would go again. Might try a takeaway tomorrow from there.

Barry’s - Swiss, had a rosti with veal and mushroom sauce. Was good, very nice setting and loooked cosy and traditional.

Da Silva - Italian, nice pizzas and pasta. Been twice already. Fairly casual so great for families.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowheeeed, nice going - sounds like you eventually made the best of a murky day. Another restaurant to try (if you like Indian) is Golden India - just up the Main Street from you. We've even trekked over from Wengen to eat there in the past.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was snowing heavily as we had our breakfast this morning and we were not optimistic about the visibility. However it had stopped by 8:15 so it was looking better.

We got the train up to KS, skied down the 36 to Wengen to avoid the ski school crowds which were all at the top, got train back up to KS then skied 22 and 21 down. Was lovely skiing on fresh snow, and enjoyed 21 in particular.

Tomorrow we have arranged to meet the ski instructor at First again but am worried about the weather. Will just have to see how that goes. Thursday’s forecast looks worse - hoping Friday is better as that’s our last skiing day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Duplicate post deleted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 16-02-22 19:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Somewhat frustrating day. Despite a 7am alarm we got to the station about 9.01 so had a long wait for the 9.30 train to KS, so it was 10.15 before we got up top to clip in. Nice fresh snow up top but poor vis. Lots of frustrating flats lower down (upper bits of blue 22, the walk from Grund to terminal and possibly the worst run I've ever been on, blue 23). Day 2 aches didn't help.
Black 34 from the gletscher down to Wixi hadn't been bashed and much of the fresh snow had already been swept so it was hard going particularly in the flat light. That said it was a blast in the light snow as it flattened out down toward Wixi.

The highlight however was a great lunch at Brandegg, another great recommendation thank you. Cracking rosti with speck, raclette and egg, followed by the apple fritters. Fantastic.

Unfortunately we got to Terminal at 4.30 and the eigerexpress was closed so we had to quickly head up manlichen to get the last cable car back to Wengen. It was tight but we just made it.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 16-02-22 9:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kids wanted to head back up the Murren side today. True to style we got to the cable car at 8.40 to realise we had just missed the 8.38. 30 minute wait to the 9.08. Schoolboy error, but just about to depart. I've now taken a photograph of the timetable in the lift station. rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-02-22 19:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions were cold, snowy and windy this morning, but we survived! Only went up Oberjoch once as it was bitter then stayed around the Grindel and Bardelegg lifts where the visibility was better. Got a bit repetitive but at least we could see what we were doing. Finished on runs 7 and 22 - the 22 is definitely a favourite of ours now, no poling, not busy, and option of bus or ski 21 plus walk to hotel.

Turned to rain at the end so absolutely soaked but very pleased with what we managed to get out of the day.

Tomorrow looks very wet and not promising at all. Any suggestions on what to do? Not sure whether to bother trying to ski at all given the forecast. Is Jungfraujoch worth visiting in bad weather?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SkiPenguin, No point going to the Joch in poor weather. Interlaken is nice enough for a bit of shopping and lunch (Cafe de Paris recommended). Tip. Get off the train at Wilderswil and get connecting bus 105 to Interlaken West or Zentralplatz to save a walk from Interlaken Ost.

Edited to add, the forecast for tomorrow seems to have improved a bit, although it looks windy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So the family favourite has rapidly become the blues, reds and fun parks in between, around the Winteregg chair. Must have lapped it 7 or 8 times first thing. Snow was great and piste in fine form first thing but by 10. 30 it was more sleet at the bottom as things warned up. Still great but goggles kept getting wet so hard to see.

Goggles with windscreen wipers would've been the order of the day. Toofy Grin

Dragged the kids away from winteregg at 11.15, did two laps of the two seat chair the other side then got the red down to the Allmenhubelbahn and luckily bagged a table at the restaurant at the top at 12. Just luck we caught a table of 4 leaving as everything empty was reserved. Good meal again, the family platters are excellent value and reasonable fayre.

Afternoon mega wet. It was like spring snow. Luckily I enjoy spring snow, so despite the heavyness we had a good afternoon on quiet pistes around the schithorn chair before heading back.

Wife and I retired for a gluhwein back at the winteregg whilst the kids did another couple of laps.

All in all, we had a great day despite the wetness.

Given the thaw today I expect Murren will be iced over tonight and rock hard tomorrow. I saw the forecast today was for - 3 at First so hoping that may fair better we are thinking we will go over and try that tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you recommend a restaurant up First that is Brandegg or Almendhubel type, quality, price. Thought occurs we'd be wise to book ahead., with no one eating out on the patios we were lucky to bag an indoor table today.

Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went up the Eiger Express this morning and skied down Red 26 to Arven and it was ok despite the strong winds and snowfall at the top. We did a few laps of 21 and 26 then around 1.30pm I skied down 21 to Grindelwald and thought it was a nice valley run but I was surprised by the amount of polling required in the access road bit near the top crossroads in the bowl and at bottom getting to Terminal. It was a bit slushy too thanks to the mild temperatures and rain. Still, pleased we did it for the adventure.

We’re heading up First in the morning. Hoping the rain stays further down and the snow is ok at the top at Grindel Schilt or Oberjoch.

I’m looking forward to Friday when the rain hopefully is done.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gazzza I’ve not been to those two you mention but are in the self service at First and the Currywurst and fries were top drawer. As good as the best I’ve ever had in Berlin (I sampled a lot wink. )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How accurate do we think the forecast’s here are? https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/

They suggest KS is dry and First is wet tomorrow?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @telford_mike. Will look at the weather in the morning and then decide where to go from there. Good to have a backup option.
snow report
@snowheeeed, official Swiss Meteo forecast here: https://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/home.html?tab=overview&date=20220217

Scroll down a bit and type your location. This one seems to be about the best, but surprisingly the BBC is pretty accurate too.
snow report
Just been up to the village, and not a mask in sight. Co-op very nice, lots of smiling faces; it’s amazing what a difference a lack of face coverings makes. Similar in the Dorflade (small village shop where they sell the best cheese on the planet). I like the new normal. And as a bonus, it’s stopped raining Very Happy
snow report
Today turned out a lot better than we expected. Didn’t see any rain at all, took the bus to Terminal and went up to Männlichen. Spent a happy few hours on the runs around there - very busy at the beginning but quietened down. Really enjoyed the reds and blues, only had to pole once, and everything linked up nicely. Had a really nice lunch at Berghaus Männlichen and enjoyed the view from upstairs. Rösti was delicious.

Tomorrow is our last day and the children have asked to go back to First so that’s the plan. Have just completed our UK passenger locator forms ready for Saturday’s flight home. Have seen the storm alert so hoping the flight (landing) will be smooth and no diversions…
snow report
Poor day that got worse today I'm afraid.

Up at some god unearthly hour and got through family faff and made it to Lauterbrunnen station 25 minutes ahead of time for the 8.02 Interlaken bound train to change at Z for the seamless change to Grindelwald Central. Easy hop across to the bus and made the First gondola just before 9 Whilst the whole travel thing thing everyday is a bit of faff it is fair to say that it has been timetabled meticulously and just works.

Sadly most of First was shut due to avvy risk. Had to off load at the second station and only 1 chair and 1 drag were open. We stuck it out for just over an hour or so hoping more would open up but gave up around 10.45 after the drag also closed, leaving just the chair. The redemption for this was a lovely run down red 22 to the bottom. Stunning run, and still had soft piste basher tracks each side, it was a dream to blitz down.

Bused back to Terminal and went up the Mannlichen gondola and made it to the top by 11.45 at which point we dived into the Mannlichen restaurant for a nice lunch. Very good.

After lunch we did the red and blue beneath but they were getting in poor condition from the warmth and traffic. I had visibilty problems from condensation trapped between the lenses. We started heading back to KS but at the top of Gummi my wife and I knocked each other over unloading. I faired OK but she twisted her knee. We pushed on down the blue to the Arvent chair which was wind swept to sheets of rock hard piste with no surface snow. Made it back to KS but wife's knee really not good so we downloaded on the train.

We are both ambitiously hoping she can ski tomorrow but in reality think she is out. Eh oh! Back at Murren tomorrow with brunch booked at the Schlithorn, so worst case kids will lap their favourite Winteregg chair then we can meet at the Schilthornbahn and she can join us for lunch at the top. Hoping to see the sun.
snow report
On the offchance anyone sees this message before the days starts… any thoughts on whether KS/ Mannlichen or First will be the best bet for lifts and slopes today! I’m checking the weather but not sure what the situation is wrt wind etc. Kids would like to go to First but we don’t want to get there and find some of it is shut as there are fewer options that side.

@Gazzza, I’m sorry to hear bout your wife’s knee - what bad luck! Hope she is better this morning.
latest report
Olympic gold for Wengen! Local boy Ryan Regez has won the Olympic ski-cross. Unbelievable Very Happy

snow conditions
Absolutely brilliant - wish I was in Wengen for the celebrations.
ski holidays
@skilegs, I think there may be a bit of a party tonight Very Happy
snow conditions
Sadly Mrs G could barely walk this morning so skiing was off the cards for her. The boys and I lapped the Winteregg chair again. Classic freeze thaw conditions so hard and scrapey first thing, softening mid morning.

Mrs G caught the cable car and train and we met at Winteregg. WIth her ski poles she was able to walk to Murren whilst the boys and I skied over to lap the Schiltgtat chair. We all met at the Schilthornbahn at 11.45 and made it to the top by 12.30 for our reservation at the revolving restaurant. Delighted the clouds had cleared, such a beautiful view. The James Bond brunch/lunch was fantastic value and a reasonable varied buffet of breads, soups, salad bar, cold meat and cheese bar and a hot buffet. Particularly cost effective if you enjoy a glass or two (or three snowHead) of Prosecco.

Mooched around the James Bond World after lunch before skiing the black from the top. The first steep section was ok, if not windy, the next stretch was really nice, then the second steep section before the run out was heavily mogulled.

The blue 11 was glorious, fast and soft. Black 17 by the Kandahar chair was nice, whilst black 16 was swept and somewhat hard work as you might expect at the end of the day.

Finished with a couple of laps of Winteregg and met Mrs G who had walked back from Murren to Grutschalp. Delighted she had a reasonable day despite not skiing.

Car packed (ish). Debating where to ski tomorrow before we leave resort late afternoon.

It's been an interesting week, gone from low temps fresh snow through sleet and rain to spring warm, and predominantly cloudy. . Glad the clouds lifted today so we could appreciate more of the beauty of the place. As always, sad to be leaving tomorrow.

Thanks to the regulars of this thread for great advice on where to ski and where to eat, very much appreciated.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-02-22 22:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well @Gazzza, thats a really lovely and positive report from you.
So sorry about your wife getting hurt but sadly that is skiing.....it can happen.
Clearly you have all enjoyed Piz Gloria today the buffet isn't cheap but it is not outrageous either.
The one thing which comes through your reporting is the ease with which you have skied Winteregg/Mürren from Lauterbrunnen.
I sincerely hope you leave with good memories and a positive view in what has turned into a difficult week weather-wise.
snow report
@Gazzza, glad to hear your wife managed to make the most of her day. Hope she is fully recovered soon.

We had an enjoyable last day over at First. Got up to top of First by 8:45, joined the queue of people waiting for Oberjoch to open. Lots of activity by the lifties but they eventually came over to the queue at 9:10 to tell us the lift wasn’t opening for a while. What a waste of time! Anyway, enjoyed skiing the vast majority of the First area today. It was intermittently busy and quiet, rather strange really. Pistes a mixture of groomed and soft, and icy. Then very cut up and bumpy by lunchtime as was quite warm, saw quite a few falls.

Back at the hotel, we were heading out to return the skis when we bumped into a guy in a Buri Sport van who was collecting skis from a different group at our hotel, so handily took ours down too. Have to say Buri Sport have been good, very happy with all the equipment, friendly, and the private ski instructor was great. Also very easy to arrange and pay for the lessons.

Enjoyed our last night at Hotel Gletschergarten - would definitely recommend staying here. The staff are so welcoming and friendly, the lounge is warm and inviting with a log fire, food is very good, everything clean, games room was a massive hit (including table football and table tennis). There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, steps away from the boot room - buses go to and from Firstbahn, Terminal, Autobahn, and the stops at the bottom of runs 22 and 23. Couldn’t be any more convenient.

Thanks to @telford_mike and @rogerdodger for their advice. We’ve had a wonderful holiday and have really enjoyed exploring this corner of Switzerland. It’s been wonderful to be back on the pistes!
ski holidays
Yes @Rogerdodger, Lauters has been a great location to be able to enjoy Murren and actually access to the Wengen/KS sides is easy too. I actually think Lauterunnen would be my preference for a future stay, provided walking distance to the station/cable car. First is a bit of schlepp but easily doable building the time into your schedule, we were just unlucky the day we picked it was mostly all closed. Pity we didn't get to the top of Oberjoch or get to do the zip wires. C'est la vie, the weather. Getting up to Winteregg from Lauters is quick and easy and as luck would have it was the kids favorite area and you can be up enjoying the Winteregg runs ahead of people from Murren, 9-10am it was largely empty even half term week - fantastic! But equally convenient if a bit slower was the rack and pinion up to KS. It's a pity the 2 days we did Manichlen/KS the conditions weren't great and vis poor. Would love to come back again with better vis to get a better grip of that area.

@SkiPenguin, have enjoyed reading about your escapades. Shame re. the opening of the top end of First. I didn't get to experience that area much, but possibly the red down from the 2nd gondola station back to the bus stop was one of my favourite runs of the holiday. Safe travels home.
ski holidays
Excellent pizza dinner at Hotel Caprice in Wengen last night - can't recommend it enough, really good food and service. A bit grim at Scheidegg this morning, though it did brighten up during the day. 10cm or so of new snow.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clouds gathering to the south of us, and that means a storm.

Great skiing on piste, it'll be interesting to see what we get tomorrow once the storm has blown through.
snow conditions
It snowed almost continuously all day, still coming down now. Higher lifts were closed this morning owing to wind. Exposed ridges scoured of snow at Scheidegg.

Tomorrow should be better.
ski holidays
Which run down from Wengen to the new V-bahn leads directly without having to pole?
ski holidays
@skilegs, none of them really, as the valley is wide and flat at the bottom. The blue from Aspen is probably the best, but it only gets you as far as Grund, so you still have a 5 minute walk to Terminal and the V-bahn. Alternative is to ski to Aspen, have a coffee and get the bus to Terminal.
latest report
The Jungfraubahn reckon we got 35cm of new snow overnight. Down here in the village I'd say it’s about half that, but it’s still a useful top-up.

It’s still busy busy busy on the mountain, but less so in the village afterwards as I guess many of the guests are families with kids.
ski holidays
Would corroborate Jungfraubahnen report of 35cm.
We had a fabulous powder morning over at First, plenty of fresh and first tracks. No pun intended.
Being the eternal anorak I gauged the depth on several occasions and concluded 35cm.
A fabulous day topped by a trip to the DHO with our landlady who has been a member for 65 years!!
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:

A fabulous day topped by a trip to the DHO with our landlady who has been a member for 65 years!!

Blimey. And I thought I was an oldie Toofy Grin 3 weeks until I can ski again, counting down.
ski holidays
Anyone done The White Hare run this winter? If so how is access from the top with the new V-bahn?
snow conditions
@skilegs, not done it since before the building started, but I believe it’s still accessible. @Rogerdodger may know more, it’s more his kind of thing than mine.

We had a lovely day today, lots of fresh snow and blue skies. It’s pretty mild - got up to about +7C in the village this afternoon.

ski holidays
@skilegs, I don't think access to White Hare has been altered in any way.
My only observation is how little it appears to have been skied this season due to limited snow depths. Possibly improved with the healthy snow this week.
latest report
Hello all,

First time on this thread, tried to read the last dozen or so pages, but have to get back to work Toofy Grin

I wonder if any of you Jungfrau experts can help, as I've never been before....bur SERIOUSLY considering Wengen for w/c 12/3.

I've skiied forever and can happily ski most things albeit at my own pace - but my OH only learned this year in Corvara in January, she loved it and we want to get back to the mountains so she can continue her education. She had some chill factor lessons before we went to Corvara, so she wasnt a total beginner, and with the week under her belt she's now good on most blues, still gets a bit scared when a steepish pitch or narrow. She's kinda doing early intermediate type stem turns.

My question is.....will the Wengen area be ok for her in terms of gentle blue runs, it looks like up the Mannlichen is the only route up in the morning, apart from the resort beginner runs - would she be ok up there can we find enough blues without having to do any reds?

She's falling in love with skiing already and dont want to scare her, I'm not bothered at all about what skiing I do, just want to help her progress, may even get a few hours private tuition in. (She doesnt want to do full day ski school as we wouldnt see each other).

Also we've seen a great HB deal to the hotel Belvedere which although looks a little old fashioned has good reviews, any comments, is it close enough to the main mannlichen lift?

Thanks so much in advance for any other tips and advice, not booked yet but finger is hovering!!

PS, weather forecast is for some snow next few days then clear skies for the next 10 days or so which is as far as Bergfex can see, any issue you think with lack of snow?

TIA Neil.
snow report
Hi Neil, i skied Wengen last week and only once. I thought blue 2 was a nice wide run but blue 6 had a narrow and steep entry to it with a switchback, before it opened up to being nice and wide. The regulars will be able to give more info and add more insight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy