Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@steve_68, Silberhorn Stube is good. Menu: https://www.silberhorn.ch/download/pictures/4a/o9xmvuzthf8zvzf80rofjzvhvrrgfv/abendkarte_winter_2021__2022.pdf
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Soozm, @steve_68, perhaps "boatloads" was a little overstated.
We shall try for a degree of accuracy this time.....as I write, snowing steadily in Lauterbrunnen, wet but that's ok we are at 800m.
Mon, 5-10cm Kleine Scheidegg
Tues 10-15 K. S
We'd 5. K. S
Fear not there will be some sunshine as well. Confident that you will all have great weeks!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rogerdodger, You read my fairweather mind! Thanks so much for the update Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I assume being a centre of banking, cards are reliably accepted across the resort and mountain resorts and that its not like Austria where cash can be needed?

Do I need any cash other than maybe just a few back up CHFs ? (including at the border to buy the vignette?)

My only prior experience of Switzerland has been passing through GVA where card was obviously fine, just wondering the situation at the mountains restaurants and piste side bars ?

Cheers

G
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the weather update @Rogerdodger, nice to see some fresh due next week. If you can just keep the road to Lauters clear for Sun pm to facilitate an easy drive in for me that would be great Toofy Grin Actually if you can then book a huge overnight dump on Monday night (after I've had a day on Monday to find my legs again) I'll be super gratefeful snowHead

Need a few sunny days to to appreciate the views as its my first time to the area. Got the James Bond Brunch booked at the Schlilthorn for Tuesday lunch so hoping it won't be a whiteout Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, we arrive Saturday too, so the snow is very welcome. Have just filled in the Swiss entry form, and bought our Snow’n’Rail tickets, so we’re all good to go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gazzza, there are a few bars in Wengen that only take cash (Rocks and Tanne spring to mind), but otherwise shops, restaurants etc all take cards (sometimes with a minimum spend). Up the mountain it's similar - the big places take cards but smaller piste-side bars don't.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't get the entry form online to work.....gets to the verify email bit then nothing happens - tried multiple browsers and multiple email addresses. Spoke to someone on phone who said they know there's an issue and gave me an email address to write to, but no reply from that either....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh no @steve_68, that is such a pain. That is really strange as I did mine this morning (twice as 2 adults) and it was fine. Used Edge or Chrome (can’t recall which) on a laptop, if that helps. The first time the email came through almost instantly, second time took about 10 minutes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @telford_mike.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @skipenguin. I've just tried Edge and the first one went through but other two family members won't go ! Just have to keep trying, been doing it on and off all day now Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@steve_68, Have you had any luck? My friend who's travelling with us tomorrow can't get hers through either. I did mine yesterday and it was ok first time
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No , still only 1 out of 3
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It started snowing heavily in the early hours of this morning, and this continued until lunchtime. About 15-20cm in total according to the lifties. This afternoon the clouds began to break up, and we got a glimpse of the Jungfrau in the last of the afternoon sun.

It looks like we're in for a weekend of blue skies. It’s busy in the village, and I had to shop around a bit to find a table for dinner tomorrow evening. If you want to eat out this week I'd strongly recommend booking as soon as possible.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@steve_68, my friend who’s in the same position as you has spoken to someone in the relevant office and apparently the system is overwhelmed with people from the U.K. using it. They told her to print the form out
snow report
Skied from 1445 until 1620 ish! The conditions were amazing on and off piste.
Never seen these Pistes moguled to the extent they were this afternoon.
Fortunately managed to find a few bits of untracked, delightful!
snow report
@Rogerdodger, just arrived in Lauterbrunnen for the first time. Any recommendations for moguls and easily accessible off piste tomorrow morning ?
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
I assume being a centre of banking, cards are reliably accepted across the resort and mountain resorts and that its not like Austria where cash can be needed?

Do I need any cash other than maybe just a few back up CHFs ? (including at the border to buy the vignette?)

My only prior experience of Switzerland has been passing through GVA where card was obviously fine, just wondering the situation at the mountains restaurants and piste side bars ?

Cheers

G

Is cash easier than cards at the moment? I`d actually rather take cash than use my card all the time.
snow report
@Deedee, cash is always acceptable, everywhere.
snow report
Hi @BertieG, didn't see your post/question.
Difficult to send you in a specific direction, I have had a couple of hours at Kleine Scheidegg this morning and found some untracked and extremely good powder.
If you are new to the area I think the best advice I can offer is tour the region and appraise stuff on a personal level according to comfort zone.
We should get a little fresh snow either Sun night or Mon.
I would stress that the avalanche guidance should be followed strictly, I am aware of a group caught last week, not too seriously pleased to say.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
@Deedee, cash is always acceptable, everywhere.

Thanks Mike. We're arriving 2 weeks today, 2 years after booking the original flights! Looking forward to going back again Very Happy
ski holidays
Well we’ve arrived! Was a very early start and a long day - but ski hire sorted and will be early to bed. I can’t quite believe how beautiful Grindelwald town’s surroundings are - very happy! Did seem quite manic in the centre though as more and more people arrived. Anticipating the train up in the morning will be a bit of a crush!
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, wow!what a great day ! The snow on all the north facing slopes was fab. We did half a dozen laps of The Winteregg chair messing about on the gentle powder slopes. Then up the Shilthorn staying out of the sun and in sight of the piste. Met up with some mates at Birg who showed us round in the afternoon. Finishing with a run down to Lauterbrunnen with a mixture of surprise powder and boiler plate. All in spectacular scenery every type of mountain transport and hardly queued for a lift all day-in February- brilliant! Very Happy
ski holidays
@BertieG, glad you're enjoying your first time in the Jungfrau region! I see that you're staying in Lauterbrunnen, if you haven't already done so check out the Airtime Cafe for some excellent chocolate brownies and other goodies: https://airtime.ch/
ski holidays
Delighted to hear your report on the day@BertieG, . Let's hope the week continues in similar
fashion. Tomorrow will be busy so anticipate a bit of queuing here and there.
As always.....take care!
ski holidays
The plan tomorrow is a sightseeing ski of Wengan and Grindlewald avoiding crowds where possible. We shall see…..
snow conditions
The Susntar, Wengen has a raclette and fondue hut for evening occasions. I'm vegan so...,
however, I stay in the Sunstar every time I'm in Wengen, and they are excellent at everything else.
ski holidays
JR continues to impress with the quality and quantity of north facing off piste. The snow both tracked and untracked is in great condition. The lifts are fast with hardly any queuing which being Sunday in one of the busiest weeks of the season is remarkable. The views from Eigergletcher are breathtaking. As you may have guessed, we are loving it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are too… what an incredibly beautiful place! Mr Sooz and youngest have been up to the eigergletsher, my daughter and I have been focusing on 22 and the Apple fritters. What a fab day. 22 from Brandegg to Grindelwald was quite tricky for the nervous skier (me) but I stayed in one po be.
snow report
We arrived yesterday - journey was very smooth. Gatwick was not busy so got through security quickly and even had time for breakfast. Flight full but got through Zürich airport quickly too. Trains very easy and wonderful scenery especially at Interlaken.

Hotel Gletschergarten is very nice - the owners are friendly and welcoming. Good size ski locker room, along with a games room (table football, table tennis, pool table). Breakfast was plentiful this morning, and dinner was delicious last night. Set menu but they did offer to make amendments if the children weren’t keen on the main meal, even though ours were fine with what was on offer.

Thought we’d have a slow start this morning after the long day yesterday, and get on the lifts after the ski school rush, however still took us 45 mins in the queue to get on the First gondola - queue was down to the road. Once up there though, only had to queue for Oberjoch lift once then little or no queues for rest of the day.

Found the piste map at the top of First was much better than the printed version so recommend taking a photo of that if you can. There were certain parts where it wasn’t obvious on the printed one how to get from one area to another but the big map has all the links between runs. Finished the day on piste 22 which was lovely and fairly quiet, had a drink at the bar at the bottom before skiing the short run across the road which virtually took us back to the hotel. Walked into town and had a drink at Avocado Bar which was a nice end to the day.

Hoping for another good day tomorrow, especially for my son’s lesson. He got completely wiped out by a very apologetic out-of-control snowboarder on the first run today which wasn’t the best of starts, and was quite hesitant for a while. Better this afternoon, but need to build his confidence up.
snow report
Great for a regular and long - time lover of Jungfrau region to read such enthusiastic reports from new visitors.
Brace yourselves folks the weather is due to take a turn for the worse, the good news is that will entail some more fresh snow.
Continue to enjoy yourselves!!
snow report
Local boy Ryan Regez is competing in the Olympic Ski Cross on Friday - there’s a nice banner in Wengen wishing him luck. He's the first Olympian from our village since 1948.

Ryan has won the last 2 World Cup races, and is favourite for gold. His competition starts at 4.30am on Friday, and most of us will be getting up / staying up to watch. No pressure Ryan!
latest report
Another fab day today - I would upload some photos but can’t work out how to. We met up with some friends at First and had a great morning - Oberjoch, Schilt and Shreckfield - and a good lunch at the top station. Finished quite early when the light got too flat - but was a lovely day. We are at the Belvedere so making the most of the view and pool too.
snow conditions
Where is everyone! Another beautiful morning in JR. Murren pistes were perfect though the off piste is mostly hard work now. Mid morning Grimmeln was soft and spring like in the sun with not a sole in sight. I can’t quite believe how quiet it is. We have skied or walked onto every lift without pause. It normally like this? We have avoided skiing in February for years, but now I might to re assess my thinking.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-02-22 18:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Another great day here too. No lift queues at all today. Morning was lovely and bright, so we explored the bits of First we didn’t get to yesterday whilst son had a private lesson. He came back buzzing, had a really good lesson, and his skiing (and confidence) was much improved this afternoon. He has another lesson on Weds, which he’s already looking forward to.

We enjoyed piste 10 and 11 (although less keen on the T-bar from there), 11 hadn’t really been skied on even at 10:15 when we got there so was a real treat. We tried piste 23 to finish but not our cup of tea, as too much uphill for us - glad we tried it though.

Thinking of going over to Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen tomorrow, depending on what the weather is like.
snow report
Very much enjoying all your reports - we're in the half-term next week camp and don't arrive until Saturday. I'm hoping that doesn't coincide with hordes of other people!
snow report
I and my son will be some of the hordes descending next saturday.He boards and I ski and we are so excited as we have not been on snow for 3 years.I have enjoyed everyone's reports so far Please leave some snow for us!Any tips for good runs that a skier and boarder can do together.We will tackle most things(after getting our legs back in!).First time in Jungfrau(staying in Wengen) and cant wait
latest report
@Toonskier, Highlight of Wengan for me is the Eiger Express. Stunning bit of engineering and routes down to suit every taste. Just avoid the last bit of blue 22 as there’s lots of poling/walking. Take the red 21 which is a little bit icy at the bottom.
ski holidays
After a 7.20pm tunnel Saturday night and an overnight in Reims, a leisurely 8am alarm saw us reach Lauterbrunnen to enjoy the view before the sun went down. Stunning.

Despite an early alarm, we did not get to the cable car and buy tickets until 9am. No queue at the booth. Headed up the cable car and train to Winteregg and found our legs doing a couple or three laps of the chair and the blue and red and the kids in the fun parks. Glorious sunshine and empty pistes and lifts. Pistes were in superb condition. Worked our way to the drag at the far end of Murren then back to Almendhubel for lunch. Couldn't believe we didn't have to queue for a lift once. Fabulous.

Went up to Birg after lunch and did a few laps up there before descending on black 16. Flat light unfortunately dominated the afternoon. Kids nagged us into another 3 Laos of the Winteregg chair before we headed back down to Lauters at 4.20.

I ache alot now and have just eaten my body weight in cheese and Charcuterie but I'm jolly happy to have been on the snow again after 2 years, and a great first day. Will head up Kleine Scheidegg tomorrow.

Looks like snow and cloud for the next few days.
ski holidays
Welcome to Jungfrau region @Gazzza, sounds like a great first day......I told you it was easy up there! Engineered to move people comfortably and efficiently.
I must confess I'm a little confused with the absence of crowds, we were expecting a busy week.
We have weather coming in through the night and tomorrow morning you suggest you are heading to Kleine Scheidegg. Very good plan, two options the east facing stuff direction Grindelwald, you quickly drop into the trees providing definition. Second, ski back down to Wengen, again you find tree lined piste predominantly along the Lauberhorn World Cup track.
Only draw back to this option is the need to use the train a second time. If, however, you ski right back into Wengen you could take the cable car up to Mänlichen.
Options up that side are massive I'm sure you will find your way.
Have fun and ski safely.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy