Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks everyone, really helpful!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gazzza wrote:
Looking for nice pistes for the first day or so. I'd assumed we'd start on blue 36 for a cruise into Wengen but having watched a video it looks frustratingly flat and narrow down to Wengeralp, ideally want some nice wide and reasonably steep blues to find the ski legs after two years, and then some nice reds like that photo. I guess on day 1 we'll get the train from Lauterbrunnen straight up to Kleine Scheidegg and go from there, to avoid faffing changing at Wengen and walking + potentially queing (Half term) at the cable car.

I personally like the runs from the top of the Lauberhorn lift at KS. The red back to KS is really a steep blue. Also the blue 25 from Eigergletscher is easy enough. For a bit more fun you can do the red 26 from the same place. To get there from KS go down the blue to Arven and take the Eigernordwand lift. And then try the Wixi (pronounced Vixi) red 44. You can spend a few hours around there. Also worth doing the red 21 all the way to Grund and coming back up the Mannlichenbahn to try that area out. Don't forget at lunchtime to go down the blue 22 to Brandegg to try the apple fitters out. Don't do 21 until your legs are working OK as it's very long and at the top is the Wall (which is a short steep almost black section) although you can get around it on the right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gazzza wrote:
We are staying in Laut at Feb HT.

What is the wisdom for doing the other way round, ie. heading to First from Laut ? We'll probably go over to First for one day.
Train to Kleine Scheidegg, ski down to Grund, Train to Central, bus to First ?
Do the buses to frist run from Terminal, Grund or Central ?

Or is it better just to train all the way around the valley to Grindelwald central then bus up to First ?

In any case on the way back I think we'd bus to Grindelwald, get the express from Terminal up the glacier, and ski down to Wengen, though that blue down to Wengen looks horribly flat in a video I've seen (lots of poling/walking).

I assume we can get back get to Laut from Wengen at almost any time ? So the critical bit on any day is getting last lift to the glacier or Kleine Schedegg to be able to ski back to Wengen and train down ?

Also, are the zip wire things still free with your lift past at First ? The kids would probably enjoy it.

That looks a nice piste @telford_mike. Is that red 3 from top of Mannlichen ? (it's the only piste on the map i can see between a chair and a gondola) Looking for nice pistes for the first day or so. I'd assumed we'd start on blue 36 for a cruise into Wengen but having watched a video it looks frustratingly flat and narrow down to Wengeralp, ideally want some nice wide and reasonably steep blues to find the ski legs after two years, and then some nice reds like that photo. I guess on day 1 we'll get the train from Lauterbrunnen straight up to Kleine Scheidegg and go from there, to avoid faffing changing at Wengen and walking + potentially queing (Half term) at the cable car.

Cheers

Yes, that’s red 3, just above the Männlichen chair. Getting to First from Lauterbrunnen can be done in lots of ways. One good one that we use is train up to Wengen, cable car to Männlichen, then ski down to the gondola middle station at Holenstein. Get the gondola down to Terminal (cuts out the flat section) then bus from there straight to the First gondola (bus every 15 minutes).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Rogerdodger. The apartment is in a chalet somewhere behind the parade of shops between the Food Point takeaway and Hotel Oberlander. Looks to be 300-400m walk to the station/cable car depending on where we come out on the road.

Does that short Wengeralp train literally just scuttle back and forth from the cable car to Murren all day (like the Waterloo & City line ?) and is it independent or timed to meet the cable car ? Does it close later than the chairlifts to facilitate getting back down to Lauters if the red piste is closed ?

I did wonder about doing the Murren side first day, maybe that's not a bad suggestion but it sort of felt right to get straight on the rack and pinion and head up to Kleine. That said some sunny-side pistes would be nice for first day legs. I see the revolving restaurant at the Schlithorn does an all you can eat brunch till 2pm, with included soft drinks and prosecco if I read it right ? Is the food any good and worth doing (matter of opinion I know) ?

Rogerdodger wrote:

Regarding the trip to Grindelwald First, it's easy I often do it 2 or 3 times a week, I particularly like the terrain for some powder......

Do you ski over Kleine Schedegg to get there or take the train to Grindelweld via Zweilutschinen ? I have all my fingers crossed for even just one powder day snowHead but to be honest I'll just be delighted to make it out there and get on the snow!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @telford_mike & @DixieDean, appreciated, thank you for the info.

@DixieDean - just looked up Brandegg. Those fritters look like an entire meal in themselves! It's on the list !

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 26-01-22 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
@lynnecha, Mürren's great. Start at Winteregg, and work your way over to Allmendhubel, then down to the village and up to Birg.

We did exactly that and loved the runs around Birg- spent most of the afternoon there. Thanks for the tips-very helpful!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One assumes they are quieter runs in that area than the main Wengen/Grindelwald area, which for half term has to be a good thing !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gazzza, Ok, the train runs from Grutschalp head of the cable car across to Mürren and runs until around 2030. This is one of the access routes into Mürren, the other route is cable car from Stechelberg into the south end of the village.
The cable car from Lauter's is timed to work with the train, you simply walk 25m from cabin to train.
It takes ,5 - 6 mins up to the Winteregg chair. Trust me! This is Switzerland.........it works well

Regarding the brunch up at Schilthorn, last time I did it I was impressed reasonable value for money considering the location.
My route to Grindelwald is always down via Zweilütschinen. Again it is easily executed, the links are geared to help people....not hinder them!!
The snow will come, hopefully not too much......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gazzza wrote:
One assumes they are quieter runs in that area than the main Wengen/Grindelwald area, which for half term has to be a good thing !

Half term is going to be busy ,bookings this year are through the roof, get up early and maybe ski the valley runs in the morning(all the runs to the terminal) going against the flow as everybody heads up.In the afternoons better higher up as people head down
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jill t wrote:
Gazzza wrote:

Half term is going to be busy ,bookings this year are through the roof, get up early and maybe ski the valley runs in the morning(all the runs to the terminal) going against the flow as everybody heads up.In the afternoons better higher up as people head down

Well I had been thinking that too, but get to the valley run end too soon and you still hit the tail end of the queues going up?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a lot of lift capacity in the Terminal
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like that remark @Jill t, Urs Kessler is raising a glass to you as we speak!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quiet in the village at the moment - literally no one on the nursery slopes this afternoon.

As you can see, the beginner slopes are absolutely immaculate, ready for the arrival of the kids in February. Quite mild today, +5C this afternoon, and a few thin clouds.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soozm wrote:
We are also going to Grindelwald at half term... Can I ask anyone who's skiied there already how First is for nervous skiers? What's the easiest/ flattest/ widest blue and any spots to look out for? I am particularly not keen on edges/ drop offs (although trying hard to be braver) ...

Hi @Soozm. Most of the blues at grindelwald are pretty easy. If you watch that video immediately under your post you'll see that even that has a short section with nets. There are a number of such bits around the Jungfrau area, just keep to the mountain side. The worst aspect of the First (pronounced Fear-st) is the 2 remaining T bars, and particularly Bärgelegg which has a steepish finish.

Why not visit your local indoor ski slope before you go. Why not take a few lessons with a view to improving and helping you feel more confident before you go. Want some tips? Have a look at the many bite sized videos on the Ski School channel on YouTube? http://youtube.com/c/elatemedia/videos. Personally, during my first year I went to an indoor ski slope quite regularly and practised until eventually I felt in control of my skis rather than the other way around. That way the next season I felt so much more at home on them. Have a look at
http://youtube.com/v/iA-2nsyFLXs (skiing with confidence)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 27-01-22 19:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must agree with other posters that Mike's photos are great, and I always look forward to seeing them.
snow report
There are interactive ski maps which are really useful:
Kleine Scheidegg/Männlichen/Wengen: https://www.jungfrau.ch/maps/winter/grindelwald-wengen/
First: https://www.jungfrau.ch/maps/winter/grindelwald-first/
Mürren: https://www.jungfrau.ch/maps/winter/muerren-schilthorn/

Webcams are here:
https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn - the view from the top of the Wixi
https://panocam.skiline.cc/maennlichen2 - the view from Männlichen
https://schilthorn.roundshot.com/allmendhubel/#/ - Allmenhubel (the restaurant above Mürren)
https://jungfrau.roundshot.co/eigergletschernordwand/#/ - at the top of the Eigergletscher chairlift (just below the North Face) (now working again).

You can wind them back in time using the < arrow by the time (each click is usually about 10 mins back) and also on some select a different date. They can also be panned to the left and right.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-01-22 12:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@DixieDean, That's so kind of you! I'll watch that skiing video now, and I've seen the Ski School lessons, they're great.

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that I have been skiing regularly at Hemel Hempstead lately and probably appear to be a half decent early intermediate skiier - I can ski parallel, in control, not that slow etc BUT I really struggle mentally on the mountain. I suffer from a combination of a fear of heights, feear of falling, old surgery (had a hip replacement young) and a lack of confidence in my balance. I'm quite fit and not heavy - logically it should all be fine but I just get terrified at steep bits and tend to back out. That's why I want to know the easiest runs to start my holiday and not get put off/ panic. I do love skiing and actually am making progress - just slowly!

Looking forward to the trip and trying to work on my internal panicking Smile
snow report
@Soozm, There's also some nice easy runs over at Mürren especially around the Winteregg/Almendhubel area and down into the village, and also down from the Schiltgrat.
snow report
I suffer from similar nerves to you @Soozm, - am coming to the conclusion that it's probably never going to change now. I've found a private lesson at the beginning of the holiday has helped me in the past - even just on the first day it can be useful to be with someone who knows the area well and will be used to nervous skiers.

There are also a couple of YouTube videos (sorry, don't have the link to hand) that talk through "confident skiing". I've been studying them intently in the hope I'll absorb it! Very Happy
latest report
@Soozm, @wobblyice, call Ben on +41338530040 Altitude Ski School if you fancy a lesson.

(Shameless plug, Mrs t_m works for them).
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
@Soozm, @wobblyice, call Ben on +41338530040 Altitude Ski School if you fancy a lesson.

(Shameless plug, Mrs t_m works for them).

https://www.skiwengen.ch/en.html

Also can recommend the Wengen Swiss Ski School,has offices in Wengen and the Intersport Shop in the Terminal lift station Grindelwald ,loads of experienced English speaking instructors in the school
latest report
Rogerdodger wrote:
I do hope all the regular contributors were up there today.
Deserted pistes, cold but comfortable temperature, blue sky......a particularly good day!

Anyone in Grindewald this weekend: 28-30th Jan? I'm looking to go over to Murren but ski buddy doesn't want to..
BTW today Grindewald-Wengen & First: sunshine, empty runs & lift, snow was good but yes, they need more. TIA
ski holidays
Next year's race already being advertised.

No change in the weather, still sunny and mild.
latest report
Nice to see the Eigergletscher webcam is now working again. Snow doesn't look to bad up there
ski holidays
@telford_mike, @Jill t, Thank you both for the recommendations... just coordinating with some friends who've last minute swapped from France (yay!) and then will book a couple of lessons for me.
ski holidays
We’re back home in Yorkshire now and just wanted to thank everyone for tips, directions, info etc. Had a great week- so good to get back on skis after 22 months. Thanks to all the SnowHeads who pitched in with help and advice- really appreciate it.
snow report
lynnecha wrote:
We’re back home in Yorkshire now and just wanted to thank everyone for tips, directions, info etc. Had a great week- so good to get back on skis after 22 months. Thanks to all the SnowHeads who pitched in with help and advice- really appreciate it.

Glad you had a good hol here in the Jungfrau Region snowHead
snow conditions
Looking at when we can get out there. Anyone like to say when things starts to go downhill in terms of piste quality/quantity, particularly the runs down to Grund and Grindelwald from First (the one to the bus stop up the valley a bit)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First will close at the end of March whilst KS and Mannlichen are open until 18.4.Every year is different but certainly in March pistes can become progressively spring like however last year there were phenomenal dumps of snow late in the season .
The snowmaking has ensured that the pistes are open to the valley late in the season. Whenever you come there will be reasonable skiing for the time of the year
ski holidays
3 great days of skiing. Some cloud in morning but mainly glorious sunshine. Some runs are starting to get a bit hard & bits of grass appearing lower down but snowfall is predicted this week. Only today was a bit busy on some lifts (Oberjoch(First), Mannlichen chair) but possible to avoid.
ski holidays
Suddenly it's winter again. One run from Kleine Sch' down to Terminal. One run off Maenlichen down to Schwendi. Train and home, lovely.
Lauterbrunnen is at 800m elevation it's snowing hard!
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, well done for going out at all! We didn’t bother this morning Embarassed
snow report
We survived yesterday. After advice on here I had a lovely 2hrs ski lesson with Altitude. I was so glad I had a morning lesson! We did a few more bit more and had a late lunch of applefritters Very Happy. Then we skied down to Wengen - should have taken the train it was horrible!
So looking for suggestions for best places in the snowy flat light conditions that we will have today and tomorrow. We have the jungfrau pass.
snow report
@Cat66, we’ll done, you survived the snowiest day of the season! Anywhere with trees is good in flat light / snow, so down to Brandegg as you did yesterday, and village runs to Wengen and Grindelwald.
ski holidays
Well @Cat66, I hope you followed Mike's advice! We certainly did, down to Brandegg and across to Terminal a couple of times. The snow was brilliant as I fully expected it to be blown out.
Lovely to bump into Andrew Davies, the previous DHO Wengen manager...and skiing well!!
snow report
According to the Jungfraubahn we had 35cm of new snow last night.

More forecast tonight. It’s a pain for me, as I had an early appointment in Interlaken this morning, and I have an even earlier one tomorrow. Everyone else - enjoy!
ski holidays
Is this another of your fab photos Mike? Brilliant shot. Tend to agree with that figure but depths varied enormously depending on slope aspect.
It was all good and well received!
ski holidays
Did anyone in Wengen at the moment see the Tiger on the Eiger?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Did anyone in Wengen at the moment see the Tiger on the Eiger?

They must have done it over the weekend, because the weather’s been rubbish ever since. Not come across anyone who saw it - even amongst Val's Grindelwald colleagues.
snow report
@Rogerdodger, full disclosure - Val got that one. It was pitch dark when I left the village this morning Sad

EDITED TO ADD: Entire Jungfrau Region now avalanche level 4. Be careful out there tomorrow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy