Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you all so much. Will check all the suggestions this evening and get myself sorted.
Daring to believe it will happen Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do hope all the regular contributors were up there today.
Deserted pistes, cold but comfortable temperature, blue sky......a particularly good day!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm watching the web cams and yes the weather has been brill last few days, hope it's like that for half term. Saw that its -17 this Friday yikes.

Any recommendations for a ski school or instructor that would meet at First? For my 12 and 15 year olds, looking at doing a half or full day just for them. I checked out the Wengen centric ones and most don't look like they will do a morning start at First. Kids are improving from beginner to intermediates. We can ski reds together but little dude still snow ploughs so legs get v tired. Hoping to progress him to parallel for is sake.

Also, is there a fun slope for kids in Grindelwald? With tunnels, mini slalom, those 270 degree winding turns into tunnels, that kind of thing. I couldn't find in on the map or on the Jungfrau website. Thought maybe the beginners jumps might be the closet to a fun slope with features and lumps for the kids to go over.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowheeeed, contact Ben on +41338530040 Altitude Ski School, very flexible and will provide whatever you need.

https://www.altitudeskischool.com/grindelwald
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rogerdodger wrote:
I do hope all the regular contributors were up there today.
Deserted pistes, cold but comfortable temperature, blue sky......a particularly good day!

A few days off (after a crash), will be back soon!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I learnt with Altitude and found them great to deal with.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry to hear that Mike, I hope the recovery is quick!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are coming to Wengen on Saturday so looking forward to it again. Does anyone know if the pistes (downhill and/or slalom) they used for the racing will be open? The Lauberhorn was a fabulous experience the last time we were there, but that was in March rather than January so soon after the racing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, all should be available for you. Probably one more day of de-rigging and transporting gear off the mountain.
Interestingly the Swiss world cup skiers were on the slalom course yesterday morning, training!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lynnecha, As Roger says, the race committee have confirmed that the Lauberhorn downhill run to Innerwengen opens fully tomorrow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rogerdodger wrote:
Yes, all should be available for you. Probably one more day of de-rigging and transporting gear off the mountain.
Interestingly the Swiss world cup skiers were on the slalom course yesterday morning, training!

Thank you! We’re excited now- first skiing since March 2020. Can’t quite believe it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike wrote:
@lynnecha, As Roger says, the race committee have confirmed that the Lauberhorn downhill run to Innerwengen opens fully tomorrow.
. Great news about the Lauberhorn but sorry to read of your crash. Hope it’s not too serious!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well @lynnecha, it snowed a little bit more last night on top of a dusting yesterday!
Conditions next week should be magic. Have a great holiday and super safe skiing!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit murky at Männlichen this morning, but pistes very nice with a dusting of new snow. The blue piste (2) is marked but not prepared, and is very popular with people wanting a few 'off piste' turns without having to worry too much about safety.

It’s very cold, around minus 10 at the top.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowheeeed wrote:
I'm watching the web cams and yes the weather has been brill last few days, hope it's like that for half term. Saw that its -17 this Friday yikes.

Any recommendations for a ski school or instructor that would meet at First? For my 12 and 15 year olds, looking at doing a half or full day just for them. I checked out the Wengen centric ones and most don't look like they will do a morning start at First. Kids are improving from beginner to intermediates. We can ski reds together but little dude still snow ploughs so legs get v tired. Hoping to progress him to parallel for is sake.

Also, is there a fun slope for kids in Grindelwald? With tunnels, mini slalom, those 270 degree winding turns into tunnels, that kind of thing. I couldn't find in on the map or on the Jungfrau website. Thought maybe the beginners jumps might be the closet to a fun slope with features and lumps for the kids to go over.

Don’t know which half term week you are going but Altitude didn’t have morning availability for private lessons on the days I wanted. Have booked with Buri Sport - they were very helpful and have also offered discount on ski rental and free ski locker at bottom of First each night.
latest report
Odd thought but...... So glad Dave Ryding has won at Kitzbuhel rather than here in Wengen.

Paralytic for a week would have been a very tough gig!!!
ski holidays
SkiPenguin wrote:
snowheeeed wrote:

Don’t know which half term week you are going but Altitude didn’t have morning availability for private lessons on the days I wanted. Have booked with Buri Sport - they were very helpful and have also offered discount on ski rental and free ski locker at bottom of First each night.

Looking at 14 Feb, Altitude haven't got back to me yet. Looks like they don't have capacity on both halfterm weeks via their website cal online booking - makes sense as they would want to maximise group lesson revenue. I'll try Buri and Swiss. Thanks.
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
Odd thought but...... So glad Dave Ryding has won at Kitzbuhel rather than here in Wengen.

Paralytic for a week would have been a very tough gig!!!

Yup! But will still be partying for a month!
latest report
Your stamina is respected and duly noted, Mike!!!
snow conditions
http://www.skischule-maennlichen.ch/en
Speak to Hans if u don't mind starting on Mannlichen
ski holidays
Blue skies and sunshine continue. It was very busy this morning at Männlichen. It’s less cold than last week though, which is nice.

Pistes are firm but ok. A good snowfall would be useful though.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Blue skies and sunshine continue. It was very busy this morning at Männlichen. It’s less cold than last week though, which is nice.

Pistes are firm but ok. A good snowfall would be useful though.

We went to First today- pistes were in superb condition and quiet. Just made the last Männlichen cable car back to Wengen. It’s quite a run up the little hill to the cable car station when you’re late- will plan better next time! Loving the sunshine! Thought we may try Murren tomorrow-any tips?
ski holidays
Got a recommendation for Sunstar Wengen for a weekend trip en famille. Good call? Any good alternatives?
snow report
@lynnecha, Mürren's great. Start at Winteregg, and work your way over to Allmendhubel, then down to the village and up to Birg.

@BobinCH, The Sunstar's great for families, and the location is perfect. If you happen to be there on a Sunday night, the splendid band Uptown Lights will be playing live. If you can’t get in there, try the Caprice, Silberhorn or Victoria Lauberhorn.
ski holidays
@telford_mike it has been said before and will be again but your pics are up there for the prize for the best thing on the internet. Wow wow wow Very Happy
latest report
@hd, +1
snow report
@hd, @Rogerdodger,

Too kind sirs, too kind Very Happy
snow conditions
Mürren -100 YEARS AGO
21st January 1922, The first modern day slalom was staked out in the area of the Almendhubel in Mürren by the founder of the Kandahar Ski Club, Sir Arnold Lunn.
Mürren tourism arranged a centenary celebration to commemorate the event where Sir Arnold Lunn's great-grandson, William Lunn, and ex-Swiss slalom skier, Erika Hess (6 x World Championship gold medals), unveiled a memorial rock, in tribute to Arnold, beside the Allmendhubel funicular.
100 years on (and one day!) on the 22nd January 2022 Dave Ryding , Kandahar member and current Men's Champion, took Great Britain's first World cup win in the slalom in Kitzbühel!
100years for GB to win gold in the event they created! Huge congratulations to Dave Ryding - Skier !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, thanks Mike. Very helpful. We are going tomorrow are we ended up at First again- not exactly planned but we set off late, thought we’d satay at Männlichen today but drifted down to Grindlewald- anyway- up and out and to Mürren tomorrow!
snow conditions
Much less busy today, so it took longer for the most popular pistes to get scratchy.

No change in the weather, just blue skies and sunshine.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@lynnecha, Mürren's great. Start at Winteregg, and work your way over to Allmendhubel, then down to the village and up to Birg.

@BobinCH, The Sunstar's great for families, and the location is perfect. If you happen to be there on a Sunday night, the splendid band Uptown Lights will be playing live. If you can’t get in there, try the Caprice, Silberhorn or Victoria Lauberhorn.

Perfect. Thanks!
snow report
Covid question, do you ned to download the Swiss covid app and scan the QR code or do you just bring your certificate ?
ski holidays
Hi all - been lurking in the forum for a while and am now thanking/cursing you all for the fact that we pulled the trigger at the weekend on a trip to Grindelwald at half term.

I have soooooo many questions (that may be more appropriate for a separate post) but my main one at the moment is what people's thoughts are on ski passes and whether it's worth going for the full Jungfrau region, or whether Grindelwald/Wengen is enough for a week. We range in ability from nervous intermediate (me) through decent intermediate (teens) to rusty advanced (Mr WobblyIce). Bearing in mind we've not skied since Jan2020 as well!
latest report
wobblyice wrote:
Hi all - been lurking in the forum for a while and am now thanking/cursing you all for the fact that we pulled the trigger at the weekend on a trip to Grindelwald at half term.

I have soooooo many questions (that may be more appropriate for a separate post) but my main one at the moment is what people's thoughts are on ski passes and whether it's worth going for the full Jungfrau region, or whether Grindelwald/Wengen is enough for a week. We range in ability from nervous intermediate (me) through decent intermediate (teens) to rusty advanced (Mr WobblyIce). Bearing in mind we've not skied since Jan2020 as well!

Ha ha, we're in the same boat! Smile YOLO!

It's a good question, I've concluded that our family will go for Grin/Weng only. My kids and Mrs can ski the same few runs all day. We're staying right next to First now. So First is probably the go to each day. Then by mid week I'll get bored and it's only me who likes the sense of travel and adventure, doing different runs. So then we'll try Grindelwald Manlichen do da what's it called lift. Heading other to Murren is probably too much faff for my family. So I think it's a personal choice, do you want to travel around and see the region? Ski different runs?

The local gurus might be able to tell you if there are day based upgrades available on the passes.

Then there is a weather factor that might affect each mountain - though I have no idea what it might be. Maybe someone can share i.e. if it's windy on First, where the usual go to is... - example only.
ski holidays
@wobblyice, if you are staying in Grindelwald there should be plenty of skiing between First (Grindelwald - stands alone) and Mänlichen/Kleine Scheidegg areas.
The trip around to Mürren is perfectly possible but many would says it's too much of a faff.
latest report
We are staying in Laut at Feb HT.

What is the wisdom for doing the other way round, ie. heading to First from Laut ? We'll probably go over to First for one day.
Train to Kleine Scheidegg, ski down to Grund, Train to Central, bus to First ?
Do the buses to frist run from Terminal, Grund or Central ?

Or is it better just to train all the way around the valley to Grindelwald central then bus up to First ?

In any case on the way back I think we'd bus to Grindelwald, get the express from Terminal up the glacier, and ski down to Wengen, though that blue down to Wengen looks horribly flat in a video I've seen (lots of poling/walking).

I assume we can get back get to Laut from Wengen at almost any time ? So the critical bit on any day is getting last lift to the glacier or Kleine Schedegg to be able to ski back to Wengen and train down ?

Also, are the zip wire things still free with your lift past at First ? The kids would probably enjoy it.

That looks a nice piste @telford_mike. Is that red 3 from top of Mannlichen ? (it's the only piste on the map i can see between a chair and a gondola) Looking for nice pistes for the first day or so. I'd assumed we'd start on blue 36 for a cruise into Wengen but having watched a video it looks frustratingly flat and narrow down to Wengeralp, ideally want some nice wide and reasonably steep blues to find the ski legs after two years, and then some nice reds like that photo. I guess on day 1 we'll get the train from Lauterbrunnen straight up to Kleine Scheidegg and go from there, to avoid faffing changing at Wengen and walking + potentially queing (Half term) at the cable car.

Cheers
snow report
@Gazzza, for a first morning skiing I would advocate a ride on the cable car out of Lauter's. Little train then takes you to Winteregg, 4 man chair and lots of lovely sunny skiing on a blue and a red. Plus variations, you could easily do 4 or 5 laps before moving across towards Mürren village.
Out of interest what is your accommodation called? It's possible you will need the bus to the cable car and the railway station. They stand together separated by the main Street.
Winteregg is certainly the quickest point to get skiing out of Lauters.
Regarding the trip to Grindelwald First, it's easy I often do it 2 or 3 times a week, I particularly like the terrain for some powder.......if it ever snows again. Don't worry pistes are in super shape.
Zip wires are on your lift pass.
snow report
@Rogerdodger - say that again? Free go on the Zip wires? HURRAH! x1 go each? Both wire rides or just one? The kids are going to love this Happy
snow report
We are also going to Grindelwald at half term... I can see me spending a lot of time getting very cold while the kids ride those zip wires (no chance you'll get me on one).

Can I ask anyone who's skiied there already how First is for nervous skiers? What's the easiest/ flattest/ widest blue and any spots to look out for? I am particularly not keen on edges/ drop offs (although trying hard to be braver). Thanks!
latest report
I'm in the Half Term club so not been but was scouting this out earlier and some of the Blues look wide with some flat spots
http://youtube.com/v/WnD8vwMx7ig

I'd think you would want to avoid the access road type Blues with the drop offs based on what you said. Don't know which they are yet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy