Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mürren News

Snowpark moving down to Winteregg this season

It'll get a lot more use there. The old one was good, but the t-bar must have put a lot of potential park rats off.

T-bar?

Gimmeln, which served the old Snowpark. One of Mürren's worst mistakes was replacing the old t-bar with another, after the original one was condemned a few years back. Gimmeln is a lovely little area, but oh, that lift. A chair would have made all the difference, and they did so well with Allmiboden (which made a huge difference) I'm still really surprised they didn’t replace the Gimmeln t-bar with a chair. 1000 feet of vertical on a t-bar is no fun for anyone.

Gimmeln didn't serve the old snowpark. The snowpark was located below Birg at Oberehubel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good decision i think to move it lower down, the snow making has greatly improved around Winteregg in the last few years ,if its as good as the one they created and built at Birg it will be quite something
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="Chris Brookes"]
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mürren News

It'll get a lot more use there. The old one was good, but the t-bar must have put a lot of potential park rats off.

T-bar?

Gimmeln didn't serve the old snowpark. The snowpark was located below Birg at Oberehubel

Ah I see, they moved the Birg one. Did this one not last then?

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="telford_mike"]
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
Mürren News

T-bar?

Ah I see, they moved the Birg one. Did this one not last then?

One season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing down to 1900m and lower this afternoon !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris Brookes, I've just bought my Top 4 season pass today. (CHF777).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mürren News

In the Birg-Schilthorn sub-area, the winter season starts on November 6, 2021. The Engetal slope and the Riggli chairlift will be open on the weekends. The Skyline Snowpark will be built in the Winteregg / Maulerhubel area next winter. A new direct slope is being built on the Schiltgrat via Finel to Mürren. Numerous well-known events accompany you through the winter season.

The winter season starts on Saturday, November 6th, 2021 in the Mürren-Schilthorn ski area. The aerial cableway to Birg and the Riggli chairlift will be in operation every Saturday and Sunday. The associated slope through the Engetal is around 1,800 meters long. From Wednesday to Friday, the slope can also be reserved and used by ski clubs for training purposes upon registration.

Skyline Snowpark: new location

Continuous winter sports operations are expected to start on December 11, 2021. Some innovations can already be announced today: On the one hand, the Skyline Snowpark will be relocated. Previously stationed at the Kandahar chairlift, this year it will be built for the first time in the Winteregg / Maulerhubel area. "This measure simplifies accessibility and significantly increases availability," explains Peter Bühler, Head of Winter Sports at Schilthornbahn AG. At the Maulerhubel chairlift, a snow park suitable for competitions is being created with kicker lines of different levels. Playful setups with kickers, rails and boxes will be set up in various zones along the Winteregg chairlift. To increase the capacity, An early and end-of-season snowpark is created in the Engetal at the Riggli chairlift at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season from April. In general, if the snow conditions are good, winter sports in the upper Birg sub-area will be extended again into May.

New direct slope from Schiltgrat - at last !!

On the other hand, slope number 25 from the Schiltgrat via Finel to Mürren will now be led directly next to the Schiltgrathüsi in the fall line over the previous paragliding starting point. The latter was moved to the other side of the Schiltgrathüsis. “This direct slope guidance makes the connection to Mürren and the Gimmeln area a lot more attractive for winter sports enthusiasts,” says Bühler, explaining the adjustment. “There is no need to traverse narrow paths,” Buhler continues.

https://newsroom.de.schilthorn.ch/pressreleases
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First snow of the season in Wengen. Very Happy

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At least the cannons are on!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are on all over the mountain above 1800m today Mannlichen,KS and in the village tonight they are set up very cold at the moment but beautiful weather
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beautiful weather and nice skiing at Birg today ,rumours that Eiger Nordwang and Arven will also be open next weekend
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing starts at Kleine Scheidegg this weekend (13th Nov).

- Eiger Express (09:00 to 3:50 pm)
- Sesselbahn Eigenordwand (09:20 until 15:30).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No train running from Wengen to KS until December unless they decide to run it at the wend
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jill t wrote:
No train running from Wengen to KS until December unless they decide to run it at the wend

Why no train yet?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who knows, For Jungfraujoch tourists are going via the Terminal in Grindelwald not sure for a few skiers they will open the train from Wengen to KS
snow report
Jill t wrote:
Who knows, For Jungfraujoch tourists are going via the Terminal in Grindelwald not sure for a few skiers they will open the train from Wengen to KS

Also very inconvenient for those few Wengen based locals who work at KS or the Jungfraujoch, in the absence of trains from Wengen they have to go down to Lauterbrunnen then train to Zweilutschinen, then change to the Grindelwald train to the Terminal!
latest report
Maintenance until 03 December according to Jungfraubahn.
ski holidays
Not sure what happened up at Kleine Scheidegg today, but a lot of snow seems to have been stripped away from the mountainside from a comparison of the Start Bar webcam yesterday afternoon and this afternoon.
ski holidays
It’s warm.
latest report
big Fohn over the Alps especially in this area
snow conditions
Looks like KS opening is cancelled this weekend hopefully Birg remains open
snow conditions
It’s a shame, but hey-ho. We didn’t start skiing until 5th December last year, and it was a pretty snowy season until the middle of March. At least this season we can go into the restaurants for a coffee (hopefully).
snow report
According to the webcams, the temperature at KS is only about 1 degree at the moment, but none of the cannons appear to be on, or indeed have been on over the past few days. Anybody know why?
snow report
I don’t think they’ll make any more snow until it goes cold next week - it’s just too warm at the moment, and forecast to get warmer in a few days. There’s only so much water in the reservoirs I guess, and I suppose they don’t want to waste it.

Forecast: https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=7.5
snow report
And another gloomy forecast from MeteoSwiss. No chance of snowmaking with these temperatures.

Things will perk up in December - they always do.
snow report
Fingers crossed its certainly looking colder towards the end of the month
snow report
Looks like from the 22nd onwards it will start to cool down...fingers X
latest report
Ok Jungfrau experts, i'm after some advice.

France changing their rules around vaccination recognition has thrown a potential spanner in the works for the girlfriend and I for our January trip, so i'm exploring some alternative ideas in Switzerland, namely Zermatt, 4 Valleys and Jungfrau.

I'm looking in to accomodation, and have found a reasonably priced basic apartment in Grindelwald. Location is:

46.622405493808586, 8.041956357064283
Almisgässli 24, 3818 Grindelwald, Switzerland

Bärgsunna building.

We have flights in to Geneva that arrive about 16:15, so could probably jump on the 18:59 from Cornavin to Grindelwald. The apartment doesn't look too far from the train station, google suggesting 11 minutes walk, but in snow and with bags, a bit of schlep. How easy is it to grab a taxi? Do the buses run late? Assume we can get part of the way on a bus and a shorter walk at the end.

Is Grindelwald the best place to stay? We arrive on 14th Jan, so it clashes (conveniently) with the world cup being in Wengen, so assuming Wengen will be very busy and pricey.

Assume there's buses running around Grindelwald to get to lifts? Looks as though we'd not be far from the Grindelwald-First lift, but quite a walk to the other side to head up towards Wengen.

If we wanted to ski round at Lauterbrunnen is it a bus/train ride round there or ski over via Wengen? Presumably can do both?

Any general advice greatly welcomed! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
I'm looking in to accomodation

Last year we stay at Chalet Aurelia and it's a great place to stay, just in front of the station and the main ski lift: http://chaletaurelia.ch/?lang=en

Alain is a great host and the appartment is awesome !

MP me if needed
snow report
swskier wrote:

I'm looking in to accomodation, and have found a reasonably priced basic apartment in Grindelwald.

Have you thought of Mürren, much better for snow than Grindelwald and damn more prettier. You will also be away from the lift Q's due to the time of year.
snow report
@Chris Brookes, I have no idea on the area at all, so wouldn't say i've decided Grindelwald over anywhere, just one place i'd looked at. I'll take a look in to Mürren also. Thanks
snow report
swskier wrote:
@Chris Brookes, I have no idea on the area at all, so wouldn't say i've decided Grindelwald over anywhere, just one place i'd looked at. I'll take a look in to Mürren also. Thanks

Any questions, just ask.
snow conditions
Never understood why people don't like TBars, it's just another skiing skill, as long as your partner is about the same height it's an easy ride.

In any case try getting from kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen without a TBar

It's the same argument that skiers are not happy unless every piste is groomed every night. Skiing is so much easier than the past
latest report
@swskier, the place you mention in Grindelwald is in a pretty good spot, close to the Firstbahn. It’s also close to the Golden India Indian restaurant, which I highly recommend. Buses go from the station up to the Firstbahn very regularly, or you can get a taxi from the station.

For skiing above Lauterbrunnen, get the train down the valley, change at Zweilütschinen, up to Lauterbrunnen, and then the cable car up to Grütschalp. From here another train takes you to Winteregg where you can start skiing. It sounds complicated but it isn’t, and there’s some lovely skiing in Mürren. (Edited to add - there are lots of other routes too).

And you're right about Wengen - it'll be pretty crazy that week. For you though, this is a good thing, as none of the media people and press actually go skiing, so it’s actually a good week for the rest of us.
ski holidays
Nice article on the DHO on the Jungfrau website: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/downhill-only-skiclub/
snow report
Next few days are going to be amazing for the snow base....
ski holidays
Look at the webcam: https://www.belvedere-grindelwald.ch/en/webcam-grindelwald/
ski holidays
Looks like the swiss government have imposed new regulations for UK travellers, PCR test and 10 days quarantine........
latest report
@Rachelljtaylor, yep, that looks like it's prevented me driving into Switzerland from France on 1st December (I left the UK on 25th November), waiting for clarification.

snow conditions
I note that the Swiss website doesn't mention Germany as being in the risk category, even though the BBC is reporting they've had 2 cases of the new Omicron variant (same as the UK)? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59442129
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy