Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Mike for the regular updates.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The fog that's been plaguing us for the last few days has finally gone, and the sun's come out. The Swiss kids are still on holiday so there are more people tobogganing than skiing on the nursery slope.

It's blisteringly cold. Minus 8 in the village this morning, and minus 14 on the Lauberhorn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike Mike have you skied down to Grund on the Red no.3 or 21 and come back up the Eiger Express to ski down from Eigergletscher yet? If so, what's the new lift like and is it a pain getting onto the snow at Eigergletscher? Was, of course, hoping to use it in a couple of weeks but sadly now unlikely this year unless something dramatic happens!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DixieDean, yes, new bridge across the river at Grund makes the last, flat section seem shorter than before. Inside the terminal it's all travellators etc so getting around is easy. The new lift is good, with a short, flat walk out onto the snow once you get to the top.

Top.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike Excellent. Are you going to be living out there permanently now?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DixieDean, Yes. We moved into a new place last March, and now we have more space here than we do in the U.K. plus the views are a bit better wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@telford_mike Looks great. Was really looking forward to skiing all the way down to Grund and getting the new lift back Sad Looks a great season as well. I'm not jealous at all! Sadly, can't even go to Scotland or the Pennines either. You definitely got out of the UK at the right time. Have you bought a place over there? And presumably, you're now retired.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DixieDean, yes, retired, and we rent our house year round. Another nice day today, lots of people departing - they’ll all be back to work or school on Monday. Strange to think it’s only a week to Lauberhorn and there’s hardly any evidence in the village that the race is taking place. Lots of evidence up the mountain though - the nets are all up now and the organisers will be praying that we don’t get a huge snowfall next week.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
... and the organisers will be praying that we don’t get a huge snowfall next week.

Unfortunately for them, it looks like Wednesday and Thursday could produce quite a big dump. Looks lovely on the beginner's slope. It was all a bit dodgier last year!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The improvement on the beginners slopes is due a massive investment by the Wengen Ski School. New pipes were laid in the summer from the bottom of Figeller to the Hotel Brunner which connected to the snow making system above the village and this got over the lack of water which had been a problem in the village area for snow making .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is that Jill the ski instructor?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that is me
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, the races are on for next weekend after a bit of faffing. Wengen/Lauberhorn/Scheidegg area is off-limits for 'private skiers' (i.e. all of us) until next Monday, so we'll have to make do with Männlichen. Won't be a problem this week as the school holidays have ended and everyone has left.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, I've heard that there are now quite a few cases of Covid-19 in Wengen and the situation is quite worrying. Is that the case?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
@telford_mike, I've heard that there are now quite a few cases of Covid-19 in Wengen and the situation is quite worrying. Is that the case?

Yes, hence the reason for the 'faffing' before it was confirmed the races could take place. I'm sure it'll all be fine, we have a big test/vaccination centre in the village (a big tent on the tennis courts) and fingers crossed everything will be kept under control.
snow report
Jill you very kindly looked after some of our guests a few years ago. Your kindness is often mentioned.
I think it was Bob or Rachel that suggested you.
Probably not see you this year as we are in the land of the unclean.
ski holidays
Another beautiful day today.

Pistes are good, if a little hard.

And zero queues.

Assuming the race goes ahead (we still don’t know for sure) some lifts and pistes around the Lauberhorn will be closed for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
Breaking news: races cancelled.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/187404/
snow report
castleford tiger wrote:
Jill you very kindly looked after some of our guests a few years ago. Your kindness is often mentioned.
I think it was Bob or Rachel that suggested you.
Probably not see you this year as we are in the land of the unclean.

thanks look forward to seeing you next season stay safe
snow conditions
Is the area now closed?
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:

I've got to say, your spread looked pretty damned good to me, and I suspect very British!

Having said that I have no idea what the Swiss might have at Christmas.
latest report
My translation says the races off and the area closed!!
Worryingly the Brits are to blame?
ski holidays
@telford_mike Will you guys be able to get vaccinated as well?
ski holidays
@castleford tiger, still open as far as I know, but things are changing quickly.
latest report
@DixieDean, yes, thanks, we're already registered. We got our flu jabs here in October no problem.
latest report
Several hotels closing and instruction to stay at home. 100 cases today.
Tragic but how did this escape?
Gutted for all those working there
snow conditions
More details have emerged today concerning the number of infections - the total is around 70. The next step is for us all to get tested - the Canton are sending a team. Central Sport closed for 10 days this afternoon - too many staff in quarantine to operate the shop.

The ski area is still open, but popular opinion seems to be that this won’t last.

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/viele-coronafaelle-das-sind-die-ansteckungsherde-von-wengen

On a brighter note, it's been snowing since lunchtime. Also, as we don’t need the army to look after the race course anymore, all the food that was being provided for them has been divided up into goodie bags which are being distributed. Ours was just delivered - lots of chocolate!
latest report
A big fall coming could be 75 cm by the time it’s over.stay safe
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
More details have emerged today concerning the number of infections - the total is around 70. The next step is for us all to get tested - the Canton are sending a team. Central Sport closed for 10 days this afternoon - too many staff in quarantine to operate the shop.

The ski area is still open, but popular opinion seems to be that this won’t last.

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/viele-coronafaelle-das-sind-die-ansteckungsherde-von-wengen

On a brighter note, it's been snowing since lunchtime. Also, as we don’t need the army to look after the race course anymore, all the food that was being provided for them has been divided up into goodie bags which are being distributed. Ours was just delivered - lots of chocolate!

There's always a silver lining somewhere! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Report on the outbreak in Wengen: https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/lauberhorn-ski-classic-canceled-as-uk-tourist-spreads-virus-variant

According to the report the source of the outbreak in Wengen was a British tourist arriving in Wengen but failing to quarantine as they were required to do under Swiss regulations and was only isolated from the rest of the community after a positive test (by which time they had infected many others). Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I wonder if this is the same person that I heard attended the English Church on Dec 20th? Such selfish behaviour is appalling, and I sincerely hope the Swiss will be able to fine him (or her) for such an egregious failure. Sadly the reputation of the Brits in Wengen who normally get such a warm welcome from locals may be adversely affected by this.... Sad
snow report
Snow all last night, amounted to about 20cm. Started snowing again about 5 this afternoon, and now really chucking it down. Whole village is being tested for the virus after the debacle over the race. We went this afternoon. The doctor in charge told me there hadn’t been a single positive test all day.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Whole village is being tested for the virus after the debacle over the race. We went this afternoon. The doctor in charge told me there hadn’t been a single positive test all day.

That's good to hear, hope it stays that way. Stay safe!
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, still snowing, 200 of us tested this afternoon and no positive cases.
snow conditions
Big snowfall last night.

The temperature is a bit high, +1C in the village, but it’s still snowing hard.
ski holidays
110cm in Mürren....just keeps on snowing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
110cm in Mürren....just keeps on snowing

And unsurprisingly in Wengen too.

Avalanche danger is severe - level 4. Many lifts were closed today.
snow report
no rain in Wengen then...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
no rain in Wengen then...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not this time! Cool snowHead
snow conditions
Nice video report about avalanche control with explosives in the Grindelwald-Männlichen area (if your Schweizerdeutsch is up to it Laughing ): https://www.telebaern.tv/telebaern-news/grindelwald-maennlichen-lawinensprengung-macht-die-pisten-sicher-140580644
snow report
Finally the snow has stopped, but we're avalanche city, and the top of the village is closed to pedestrians. Over at Mürren the Birg / Schilthorn area is now only open at weekends, as is the Jungfraujoch.

Lovely sunset this evening.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy