Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Is there any advantage to pre-booking and collecting in resort vs paying/printing at ticket machine in Grindelwald Terminal?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichieC43 wrote:
Is there any advantage to pre-booking and collecting in resort vs paying/printing at ticket machine in Grindelwald Terminal?

There is if you pre-book at least 3 weeks in advance of the first day of use as you then get the Early Bird discount (up to 10% discount this year, in previous years it was 20%): https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/earlybird-skipass/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, doesn't work for us but hopefully help someone travelling a bit later
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice morning up the hill today.

The weather’s mild - above freezing at all levels. Pistes are absolutely immaculate.

No queues anywhere. This was Arven at lunchtime.

On the way home, the piste down to Mary’s is still closed, but the run back to the village is superb.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks amazing! We are arriving Saturday, can't wait!

Booked the parking in Lauterbrunnen yesterday and now can see that the car park is full until New Year. Guess it's going to be busy...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ma94jcg wrote:
Looks amazing! We are arriving Saturday, can't wait!

Booked the parking in Lauterbrunnen yesterday and now can see that the car park is full until New Year. Guess it's going to be busy...

Spotted this yesterday, and looks like same story at new parking at Grindelwald Terminal.

For anyone with local knowledge, what are the best options for parking around Grindelwald? Is there somewhere central which gives reasonable access to the First area (by ski bus?) and new lifts from Grindelwald Terminal?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good day up the hill today - I was testing skis so we stayed at Männlichen.

No queues anywhere.

Mild temperatures, but the snow’s still great. More sun tomorrow apparently.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RichieC43, when we came last January for a weekend, we ended up parking in a small car park opposite First (on the main road on the right as you drive away from the station). Mind you we were early - before 9am and we got the last spot. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap - something like CHF10-15 for the day.

If that doesn't work, you could maybe park at the Eiger+ parkhaus nearer the station, but it will likely be super expensive as its for the shops - think CHF25+ for the day
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ma94jcg Thanks for the suggestion
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Epic day up the hill today. Didn’t even stop for lunch.

Conditions are really good. I tested Stöckli Stormrider 88s - the 4th set of skis I have tried this week. Bought a pair when we got back at the end of the day.

Figeller bar is open.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are in Bern having driven from the UK today. Coming to Jungfrau tomorrow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike wrote:
Epic day up the hill today. Didn’t even stop for lunch.

Conditions are really good. I tested Stöckli Stormrider 88s - the 4th set of skis I have tried this week. Bought a pair when we got back at the end of the day.

Figeller bar is open.

Best lunches I have had were on storm days, eating an energy bar or gel and some water on the chair lifts. Jealous of those conditions. Someday....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Left Bern this morning at 8.30am, was in Wengen village just after 10am to drop off our luggage at the hotel and was at the Mannlichbahn lift by 11am

Great day’s skiing around the grindelwald area, sunny all day and conditions were mostly soft. Some steeper areas that had high traffic were a bit hard packed.

It’s so quiet here. Straight on all of the lifts with no queues. Most of the skiers appear to have been day trippers as the village is dead and our hotel has only 8 rooms filled out of 20. Kleine Scheidegg was also dead compared to the normal throng of Chinese and American tourists
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ma94jcg, enjoy! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So we brits are banned from 01/01/21 from travel to Switzerland !
latest report
I am sure they will eventually want our money and our mutant strain of covid
snow report
What a mess . So if you rock up at the airport on the 2nd what do they do?
snow conditions
castleford tiger wrote:
What a mess . So if you rock up at the airport on the 2nd what do they do?

They won't let you get on board. The check-in staff have access to the IATA system that tells them the rules for your destination. You can access the same system yourself and see.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Switzerland: 'you may not enter'.

Airlines who fly people who are not entitled to enter their destination country are fined, so they are really hot on this.
ski holidays
Nightmare let’s hope this is sorted quickly.
So no skiing
Disaster
ski holidays
castleford tiger wrote:
So no skiing
Disaster

Come now!
latest report
Christ just got the escapees arrived ( after Covid tests yesterday )
Tax returns to file then I was coming.
Supposed to be a helper at the races in March with no 2 racing
snow report
castleford tiger wrote:
Christ just got the escapees arrived ( after Covid tests yesterday )
Tax returns to file then I was coming.
Supposed to be a helper at the races in March with no 2 racing

Get your accountant to sort it out!
snow conditions
A bit gloomy today, but there were a few rays of sunshine on the Lauberhorn this morning.

There’s a queuing system for the trains in the village now, but this morning it was pretty redundant, with just instructors and ski patrol going up early on. Val started work this morning. Her ski school team is a little smaller than usual, but they were all fully occupied with classes.

Loads of guests arrived yesterday afternoon, the village seemed really busy.

The mountain today was quiet though, with no queues at all.
snow report
We spent the day in Murren. Hazy sunshine most of the day, with occasional flat light interludes.

Continuing the theme, it was very very quiet. No queues whatsoever and quite often having the whole piste to ourselves. Social distancing not a problem at all, and 100% adherence to masks on lifts and in queues etc.

Weather expected to deteriorate tomorrow with rain in the late afternoon evening until early Tuesday. Will probably be an early finish and maybe down to the Interlaken distilliary to stock up on their whisky!
ski holidays
Don’t think we will ever escape the U.K. as we are banned from most of Europe now.
Surprised canaries haven’t yet.

Weather looks warm and yet till late Xmas eve then the cold front gets there .expect a snowy Christmas Day and much colder
snow report
Yeah agree it’s all a bit of a s**tshow going forward. Despite having two more trips booked for the rest of the season, expect they will both get cancelled

We’re really glad we took the risk to come here (all the family self isolated for 3 weeks ahead of the trip as the kids have been remote learning for that time) and beat all the new restrictions. It feels much safer here than a trip to the supermarket in our tier 4 home location

Watching the developments on travel with interest. We can jump in the car to zoom home if needed but expect that, whilst travel from the Uk will be banned, it will be fine to return on the Eurotunnel
ski holidays
Switzerland have announced they will be suspending air travel to/from the United Kingdom. In addition, from 12:00 (CET) 21 December anyone arriving from the United Kingdom, regardless of nationality, will be required to self-isolate for 10 days. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland?utm_source=0d293aa3-54d6-46d4-9853-2c9b066b8599&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate
ski holidays
castleford tiger wrote:
So no skiing
Disaster

I dont really think no skiing is a disaster, its a disappointment but a disaster ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This has been posted in some other Swiss related threads, but anyway:
Anyone from the UK who entered Switzerland since 14th December has to go into an immediate 10 day quarantine: https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-81777.html
latest report
It was a classic December flat light day this morning. Very few people skiing.

It’s still mild, with temps in the village around +4C. Delicious tagesteller in the Eiger restaurant while we watched the World Cup ski cross from Val Thorens on TV. Wengen lad Ryan Regez came second.
latest report
Well after Boris tells the world we have a super Covid ..... we are now pretty much isolated.
There is going to be a further spike post Xmas as too many do not listen or play fair.
Hundreds of thousands fled London taking it with them in some cases so a full lock down maybe looming.
It really does look unlikely we will be allowed into Switzerland.
Will Wengen suffer ? I guess so but only time will tell.
ski holidays
@castleford tiger, no access to CH from the U.K. at the moment, and those who are here have to quarantine for the balance of their days here since 14th December. Yes, Wengen will suffer. Mrs t_m works for one of the ski schools and has had tomorrow’s lesson cancelled as the guests have travelled from the U.K.
snow report
This is so sad for everyone. People separated at this time and jobs .
I dread to think what January will be like.
Is the race going ahead as I see no grandstand built yet?
snow report
@castleford tiger, Race is happening, but no spectators. Programme here:

https://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Rennen/Programm/Progam
snow conditions
Föhn clouds over the mountains this morning. It’s very mild - +5C in the village at dawn.

ski holidays
@castleford tiger, From what I've seen on the FIS website and elsewhere the Lauberhorn race is definitely going ahead, but they won't allow big spectator crowds, hence no grandstand etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they only allow people on the train up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen if they can show that they have accommodation in Wengen. So any spectators would just be limited to those staying in Wengen. Smile
ski holidays
Yes that I understand is the plan.
From today all bars and restaurants closed I am told.
Take out only in the mountain??

One wonders how that’s going to work.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, we've been told that there won’t be any spectators at all, because the 'protection concept' for the race says that no members of the public will be allowed within 50 metres of any part of the course.

@castleford tiger that's correct - takeaway only. Grab a sandwich or a bratwurst and eat it on the lift. It's actually not as bad as it sounds believe it or not, and it’s certainly better than nothing!
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@Alastair Pink, we've been told that there won’t be any spectators at all, because the 'protection concept' for the race says that no members of the public will be allowed within 50 metres of any part of the course.

Thanks for that info. If there's no spectators will the Swiss Air Force even bother doing their traditional air display, the only people who would benefit from that are people watching the TV coverage?
latest report
@Alastair Pink, I do hope so, it’s one of my favourite parts of the weekend. Time will tell I guess, and even if we can’t watch the race live at least the people who are here can enjoy the air show.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy