Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
those Swiss really know how to do scenery
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pubs are open!

As well as all the shops. Kids have gone back to school. Trains have reverted to their normal timetable, but you still can’t go above Wengen or Grindelwald.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike, It always grates with me when I see the Crystal Bar's incorrect use of apostrophes! wink Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for telling me - I had never spotted that over many years - and I am normally pretty hot on these things. My PA used to put them in randomly just to test me!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went for a couple of beers last night. Tables are spaced 2 metres apart, which is fine in the Crystal as there's plenty of room. When we arrived we were the only customers. A few more drifted in later, but there were never more than about half a dozen. Also open are the Eiger and Cafe Waldschluecht. Sina's opens on Friday. There wouldn’t normally be many bars open at this time of year anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forecast looks good. Thinking of an Ascension short break to the area. Keep seeing amazing pictures.... Have been to Grindelwald 20 years ago but that’s it. Where would you base yourself? We’ll bring bikes and would be looking to hike / bike etc. Need an apt for 4 and there seems to be loads on Airbnb unsurprisingly. Thanks for any ideas!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, Possibly look at staying in Lauterbrunnen. You've got the fairly flat valley bottom there so it's an easy cycle up the valley to the Trummelbach Falls and further on up to Stechelberg from where you can take the cable car up to Mürren. From Mürren you can take the train to the end of the line at Grütschalp from where you download by cable to Lauterbrunnen (or of course you can do the trip in the other direction). From Lauterbrunnen station you can take the train up to Wengen (and possibly further up to Kleine Scheidegg or the Jungfraujoch if the train service re-opens beyonds Wengen after Covid-19 restrictions are lifted). From Lauterbrunnen you could cycle down the valley to Wilderswil where the mountain railway up to Schynigge Platte runs from. A bit further down the valley and you arrive at Interlaken with its two lakes, Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, on which boat trips operate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
Forecast looks good. Thinking of an Ascension short break to the area. Keep seeing amazing pictures.... Have been to Grindelwald 20 years ago but that’s it. Where would you base yourself? We’ll bring bikes and would be looking to hike / bike etc. Need an apt for 4 and there seems to be loads on Airbnb unsurprisingly. Thanks for any ideas!

There won't be any uplift here until early June, but as Alastair says, plenty of biking opportunities. Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen are favourite, on balance Grindelwald probably best.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Alastair Pink, @telford_mike, Worth waiting for the lifts to open or enough to do without them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks so good!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQIUvxl1l_/?igshid=h5w0xha5v7pz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
Thanks @Alastair Pink, @telford_mike, Worth waiting for the lifts to open or enough to do without them?

AFAIK the mountain railway connection from Lauterbrunnen station up to Wengen is still operating (it's the only access to Wengen short of walking up the footpath!), it's just that currently the train service stops there and doesn't go any higher up to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch. I'm sure telford_mike can confirm. So you could take your bikes up to Wengen on the train and cycle down if you wish. Also the Stechelberg to Mürren connection is now back in operation following scheduled maintenance 20.04-15.05 according to the website, but the connection from Mürren up to Birg and then the Schilthorn (Piz Gloria/ James Bond OO7) is currently closed, they're hoping to re-open on 8th June Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:

I would wait until June personally, but that's just me. When the mountain transport opens, so will the rest of the infrastructure - mountain restaurants etc. Also, the paths and cycling trails will be fixed after winter. Don't get me wrong, it's nice here at the moment (assuming the weather plays ball), but it’s a bit frustrating not being able to jump on a train or gondola to get to Kleine Scheidegg or Männlichen.

Yesterday afternoon, when the sun came out after 3 days of fog:

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stunning picture, thank you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's good of Mike to take on the demanding challenge of lockdown in Switzerland. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I would wait until June personally, but that's just me. When the mountain transport opens, so will the rest of the infrastructure - mountain restaurants etc. Also, the paths and cycling trails will be fixed after winter. Don't get me wrong, it's nice here at the moment (assuming the weather plays ball), but it’s a bit frustrating not being able to jump on a train or gondola to get to Kleine Scheidegg or Männlichen.

Yesterday afternoon, when the sun came out after 3 days of fog:

Stunning pic and thanks for the advice. Will postpone to June
snow report
Wengen to lose the Lauberhorn races?

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/182078/
latest report
Great shame Wengen want more money and resorts like Zermatt will do it for nothing. One last Lauberhorn next year hard to imagine
snow conditions
More....

https://www.lauberhorn.ch/de/home/news/Newsmeldung?newsid=408&teaserId=5
snow report
I think Zermatt is in the wings
ski holidays
Philipp Gertsch, owner of Central Sport in Wengen has just posted this on their Facebook page (my English translation):
What's happening to the Lauberhorn race???
Hi guys wake up! What are you all doing behind your desks????
Does the most popular ski race in the world really have to be removed from the calendar because of money, stubbornness and power games? Are you still relaxed about this???
My grandfather ERNST GERTSCH, founder of the Lauberhorn race, my father VIKTOR GERTSCH, who dedicated his whole life " to his Lauberhorn race". These two icons must be turning around in their graves having to watch their life's work destroyed!
Just so sad!!!!!!!...........
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Went over to Mürren today. Lots of work going on for the railway upgrades. New raised platform at Winteregg.

Is the new platform for use whilst they alter the existing ones? Not sure why the old ones need altering though, the new trains are low platform and the platforms are already quite low. Are they to be longer?
ski holidays
DixieDean wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Went over to Mürren today. Lots of work going on for the railway upgrades. New raised platform at Winteregg.

Is the new platform for use whilst they alter the existing ones? Not sure why the old ones need altering though, the new trains are low platform and the platforms are already quite low. Are they to be longer?

Everything new by the look of it.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Everything new by the look of it.

I guess that the current legislation requires everything to agree with the specifications set out in the access legislation for Switzerland.
latest report
The cows are back!

Usually this would be publicised well in advance, as it's a popular event for tourists. This year the authorities want to avoid crowds, so there was no notice.
snow conditions
Lets hope they have developed "herd" immunity!
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
Lets hope they have developed "herd" immunity!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
New 'Corona Pass' on sale next month. Unlimited journeys on Jungfrau Railways, including unlimited trips to the Jungfraujoch. CHF299, valid until end of November.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/182076/
latest report
Now that's what I call a Swiss bargain! I had pondered as to whether they might do something "creative" to lure the local population up there. They (Jungfraubahnen) will not see the Asian visitors for the rest of this year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
New 'Corona Pass' on sale next month. Unlimited journeys on Jungfrau Railways, including unlimited trips to the Jungfraujoch. CHF299, valid until end of November.

Hoping to drive out to Wengen for August 1st - Swiss National Day so checked out the offer. Actual price is CHF399, it's only 299 with the Half Fare Card which is another CHF185!
There's a Top-of-Europe pass as well, you know times are tough when JR discount Summer trips to the Jungfraujoch - that's normally their cash-cow for the year
Here's the link https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/passes-of-the-jungfrau-railways/
ski holidays
sherlockis wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

Hoping to drive out to Wengen for August 1st - Swiss National Day so checked out the offer. Actual price is CHF399, it's only 299 with the Half Fare Card which is another CHF185!
There's a Top-of-Europe pass as well, you know times are tough when JR discount Summer trips to the Jungfraujoch - that's normally their cash-cow for the year
Here's the link https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/passes-of-the-jungfrau-railways/

Yes sorry you are quite right - everyone here already has a half fare card. Jungfraubahn have written to everyone who bought the regular summer pass (which cost CHF390 with a half fare card) offering to swap the summer pass for the cheaper Corona pass, and they’ll even refund the difference!
snow conditions
Männlichen gondolas from Wengen and Grindelwald, and trains to Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch are opening on Saturday. The forecast isn’t particularly good, but there's much anticipation in the village.

Nice film about the build and opening of the new lift:

Männlichen GGM // The story of the new gondolas from The Story Creatives
https://vimeo.com/395427356
ski holidays
The dorfstrasse is being resurfaced. They're not messing about!

snow conditions
TBQH it still looks in good condition to the average pedestrian area in the UK
snow report
Back in the village after an enforced trip back to the U.K. It's a lot busier now, more hotels and restaurants are open. In response to the crisis, the Jungfraubahn have introduced a new summer pass - the Corona pass. This covers everything that the usual summer pass does, plus unlimited trips to the Jungfraujoch. Better still, it’s much cheaper than the summer pass. We'd already bought our summer passes back in April, and the staff at the station were happy to swap them for Corona passes and refund the difference.

Details here: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-corona-pass/

The village is looking good. Sina's terrace doing a roaring trade this afternoon.

snow conditions
@telford_mike, Ooh, thanks for that info about the Corona pass. As a holder of a 2019/20 Top 4 skipass I qualify for the CHF299 lower rate. I'll have to think about maybe some summertime in the area. Smile
snow report
Looking good Mike, - even the weeds on the steps are growing well!.
We'll be there on the 1st, hope the weather stays fine. No Fireworks or Parade in Interlaken for Swiss National day, not even free Rugenbrau at the Kursaal- anything going on in Wengen?
snow conditions
sherlockis wrote:
anything going on in Wengen?

We have a barbecue and live music at the swimming pool, not sure about fireworks yet - the tourismus are being a bit coy. My guess is that the fireworks will not happen though.
snow conditions
According to the tourist office our fireworks are still going ahead. The weather’s really warming up now - here's the village from Stalden this afternoon.

ski holidays
Any info/photos/opening date on the new V from Grund? And will Bumps still be running?
snow report
skilegs wrote:
Any info/photos/opening date on the new V from Grund? And will Bumps still be running?

Eiger Express opens 5th December - all details here: https://v-bahn.jungfrau.ch/en/news#milestones

Bumps should be ok - it got a lot of use last winter with all the bad weather.
Scheidegg this morning.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy