Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@telford_mike, what's happening down there Mike? Any news following the Fed Govt announcement and closure at Verbier?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What’s confusing me is the Verbier statement says closure will apply to ALL ski areas in the country but Jungfrau website suggests otherwise. I’ve messaged Jungfrau.ch but no reply as yet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's all very confusing. We know that Mürren's closing from Monday, and no access to Schilthorn / Birg this weekend either. Was fully expecting a statement from the Jungfraubahn along similar lines. But 25 minutes ago the JB said on Facebook that they're open as usual.

So I guess we're open. We just don’t know for how long.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just reading an English translation of the Swiss govt press conference and it sets that all TOURIST TRAVEL and transport for tourism purposes only will be cancelled. States public transport for access reasons remains open.
Gatherings of 100+ banned as are more than 50 people banned in restaurants and bars.
Appreciating the vagaries of translation and interpretation of the statement how on earth can any ski area remain open in these circumstances?
The govt clarification and update on the situation has clarified seemingly little
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jungfraubahn will have gone through the regulations with a tooth comb, and if there's a loophole they'll jump right through it. I doubt it'll be sustainable for long though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, they've found a loophole. This is from the Berner Zeitung, translated by Google.

Jungfrau region: ski area remains open
"Adjustments in the catering business are being implemented," said Kathrin Naegeli, media spokeswoman for Jungfraubahnen AG on Friday evening, and pointed out that the systems are in operation.

Jungfrau Railways director Urs Kessler appeals to the guests' understanding of the restricted catering business and regrets that during the course of the day the impression had arisen that business in the ski areas had to be discontinued.

"In my view, the confusion arose because the Federal Council presented a draft regulation to the media orientation, which stipulated the company shutdown," said Kessler.

A clarification then came to the Bern government, which explained the definitive version of the regulation, in which the ski areas were not mentioned.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I`m supposed to be arrving next weekend for a week. Not looking good though rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@telford_mike, keep calm and ski on then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gstaad also staying open. Meiringen-Hasliberg closing forthwith. No news from Adelboden-Lenk.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Schilthorn website confirms that the Schilthorn is now closed ( the 50 people limit including staff would be the limiting factor for the restaurant) but it says the rest of Mürren's ski lifts will be running at the weekend, including Birg. Whether everything shuts down from Monday onwards remains to be clarified....
https://schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Live
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Max 40 people in our cable car this morning, but we're open.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Mike - looking forward to next winter already.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bizarrely I have friends who will be getting off the Ski Miquel coach in Lauterbrunnen around 50 mins time!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The trains between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen will keep running as usual, but all trains up to Kleine Scheidegg and to the Jungfraujoch are now cancelled as from tomorrow: https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/winter/services/coronavirus/
snow conditions
Jungfrau skiing now closed for the season!
We were booked at Alpenrose until next Friday but managed to rebook flight for Sunday (tomorrow).
Wengen is already almost deserted. Sad for skiers but so much worse for the workers and businesses here who depend on winter and summer tourism. Cancellation of summer bookings are high due to uncertainty. Worries that some businesses won’t survive lengthy shut down. Just awful for people here.
latest report
@Baggiesfan, absolutely. I arrived on Thursday so got in 2 days skiing before the closure. I'll stick with my original return flight date of Thursday, so for the next few days I can get to try out some of the many walks in the region (at least it's scenic). Safe trip home. snowHead
latest report
Jungfrau are automating full refund of all unused ski passes as per their website this morning
snow report
Lovely day for a walk - we're all tourists now.

Hotel Caprice is closing tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how long the others last.
ski holidays
Yes, sad to say its all over. Nice pic of Winteregg Mike, and of course the ladies.
Our walk was Stechelberg up to Trachsellaunen, it must be stated that its all beautiful on ski or on foot!!
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
Jungfrau are automating full refund of all unused ski passes as per their website this morning

I booked insurance with the ski passes so have to claim it back via the insurance. A pain in the backside.
snow report
Also on the general topic of refunds if anyone due to travel to their Swiss resort from the airport by train and return the same way has booked train tickets then they can be refunded. I'd booked some daysaver tickets for a later trip to Wengen and the T's and C's for these usually state they are non refundable, however because of the exceptional circumstances the SBB website now states that tickets can be refunded : https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/95750/coronavirus-einschraenkungen-im-bahnverkehr
latest report
Staff at Wengen SSB so helpful. Refund of unused ski pass (6 days) and prebooked train ticket back to Zurich airport. All done with an apologetic smile. Alpenrose Hotel also so helpful. Thanks to all. Back next year!!
snow report
Another beautiful day. We're moving house this week so we wouldn’t have been skiing anyway. Wengen is super quiet, and we're waiting to hear whether the bars and restaurants will have to close.

snow conditions
Good luck with the house move, I love reading your reports and your photographs.
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
Good luck with the house move, I love reading your reports and your photographs.

Thank you!
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Another beautiful day. We're moving house this week so we wouldn’t have been skiing anyway. Wengen is super quiet, and we're waiting to hear whether the bars and restaurants will have to close.

What an absolutely stunning picture Mike, you're so lucky. Good luck with the move and please don't stop with these regular updates.
snow conditions

Today I walked down from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. Very scenic, and the path crosses the route of the old original mountain railway that opened in 1892 (no longer in use). I knew about the old mountain railway route but hadn't realised that parts of it such as bridges and the trackbed are still intact. According to Wikipedia the original route was kept as a backup for many decades after the current longer but less steep route opened in 1910, and it was finally closed in 2009.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still remember when it had all the tracks on it but not sure if it was ever used. It is a lovely but challenging walk up from lauterbrunnen criss crossing the track.
snow conditions
I travelled on that track when I first came here in 1978. Never imagined I would end up living here!
snow report
The old track route makes a lovey footpath. Technically illegal but last season one of the Jungfraubahnen drivers got the surprise of his life when he bumped into me skinning up to Wengen. He was walking down to Lauters to start his shift. There was no sense of either of us commiting a misdemeanor!!
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, I just walked down the entire length of the old track route this morning from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. There's a few places on it now where small tree saplings have taken root, in a few years time it may be a bit less easy to use. Here's a short video clip of the track as it comes
to an end in Lauterbrunnen:.
http://youtube.com/v/jn36LFuxt1M
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, nice!
snow conditions
A state of emergency has been declared. All bars, restaurants and 'non-essential' shops have closed. It's definitely getting a bit weird now. We moved a load of stuff to our new place. There's no shortage of help now that practically everyone in the village is unemployed. Great views from the new chalet.

snow conditions
I can think of worse places to be in lockdown. Beautiful!
latest report
Oh, that's a really crap view! Have a great time living there!
snow report
Wow @telford_mike Shocked

That's amazing, tend to lurk and follow this thread, that's an amazing view. Not jealous at all, no not me snowHead
ski holidays
@telford_mike, rub it in why don’t you! I can think of worse places to be in a state of emergency. You lucky baaastard. Very Happy
snow report
Almost as nice as BIRMINGHAM
snow conditions
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Move completed, and I've even worked out how the awnings work.

Absolutely beautiful weather again today, it’s hard to believe we're still supposed to be in the middle of the ski season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy