Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a look at the webcam up on the top of the Wixi and it looks like a lot of snow has blown away over the passed couple of days Crying or Very sad !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DixieDean, that's right, and the forecast is not great for the next couple of days.

Today was nice though, and everyone went up to Männlichen to try the new gondola. Each cabin takes 10 people and it’s really fast.

Conditions were pretty good today, but it’s much too warm for the time of year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another 6 weeks before I can get to blast around the area. Hopefully it will be a lot cooler and everything will be open by then. Looking forward to being able to ski down to Grund on the red from Mannlichen and come back up quickly on the new cabins.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @telford_mike. Was just looking at the various webcams. Still on skiing at weekends? The top of the Eigergletschernordwand lift area still looks a bit dodgy for skiing. When is this due to be cleared up and made ready for the season?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DixieDean wrote:
Hi @telford_mike. Was just looking at the various webcams. Still on skiing at weekends? The top of the Eigergletschernordwand lift area still looks a bit dodgy for skiing. When is this due to be cleared up and made ready for the season?

We are skiing every day now, except today because everything is closed owing to the wind. Yesterday was great. Eigernordwand? Who knows? The construction of the Eiger Express lift is 6 weeks behind schedule, so the winter pause in building work has been cancelled. Work will therefore continue up there if the weather allows. The V-bahn is all about getting tourists up to the Jungfraujoch - skiers are very much a secondary consideration. Having said that, the new Grund-Männlichen gondola is absolutely brilliant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that update @ telford_mike. So has that lift been open at all? Is it likely to open or will access to that area only be possible via the train from KS whilst they continue to buid the new facilities?

Regarding "The V-bahn is all about getting tourists up to the Jungfraujoch" I can see your point, and using the V Bahn other than to get up there in the first place (as a day skier perhaps) will be a little bit dependant on them opening that red that goes down to Grund from Brandegg, which as far as I am aware hasn't been open regularly for some years.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DixieDean, Eigernordwand hasn’t turned a wheel since last April. Whether it will open at all is anybody’s guess, but I'd be surprised if it doesn’t open for Christmas. The Jungfraubahn are expecting skiers to use the Eiger Express, as they've built a new blue run from Eigergletscher down to Fallboden. This run opened last winter and everyone said how awkward it was, so this summer they widened it. It's not on any of the maps yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grindelwald first timer here, so excited, but have so many queries.

I'm taking my non-skiing wife for a few days in early February, my plan is to ski for 2 days on my own and then take her on the Jungfraujoch Top-of-Europe on Day 3. Is there a 3 day pass for non-skiers that covers unlimited use of the train network only, or would she be better to buy single journey train tickets to meet me at lunch and then for apres drinks? Also, any Apres or lunch recommendations, somewhere with easy access for a non-skier and great scenery?

I know there are extra charges to do the Top-of-Europe, but is there any significant cost savings to be had by buying before we head off?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @DonaldFlump and welcome to the thread. My wife is now also a non-skier having stopped skiing due to the onset of osteoporosis. She buys a hiking ticket which allows use of all trains from Interlaken out, and all lifts except for the Schilthorn above Mürren. You can also use the chairlift from Allmend (the station above Wengen) down to the race end area and Mary's cafe (renown for the hot chocolate etc.). For 3 days this would cost CHF 168 and you could get 50% off the trip from Jungfraujoch. I have been to both Jungfraujoch and the Piz Gloria restaurant at the peak of the Schilthorn and in winter I prefer the view from the Schilthorn. You could also ski off the Schilthorn if you wished, it's a reasonable black run that most intermediates would have little difficulty getting down. Neither are worth going up on a very windy or cloudy day as you literally wouldn't be able to see a thing. For that reason I would not set the day you want to go up the Jungfrau until you arrive in resort. Cost wise, if you bought a 3 day Jungfrau or Grindelwald-Wengen ski pass and your wife bought a 3 day hiking pass, you could both buy a top ticket up the Jungfrau for CHF 61 each. (Not available on a 2 day pass!). If you wanted to do Schilthorn instead, it would be cheaper for her to buy a ski pass as the additional cost would be less than the cost of a return to the Schilthorn.

Ah, but wait! At the moment there is an offer on the Jungfrau website, to purchase a 3 day ski pass valid early February for the same price as a hiking pass!

Other reductions are available if you are a senior (over 62).

If you are in resort between 2nd and 7th February you would be most welcome to join me on your skis on my travels around the region.

The walking around the area is really good, with easy walks from Kleine Scheidegg railway station (the shoulder beneath the North Face) down to Brandegg (lovely restaurant well known for its Apple Doughnuts with Custard) and Grindelwald, also down to Wengen, and there is also a lovely walk down from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund and also across to the Kleine Scheidegg. Another nice walk couple of walks are from the top of the lift at Grütschalp to Mürren, and from restaurant at the top of the funicular at Allmenhubel back down to Mürren. The restuarant is also a great place to meet a spouse and have lunch. They are renown for their Schnitzel covered in breadcrumbs and crushed Cornflakes!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A much better day after all the wind we've had recently. Pistes pretty good all things considered. Very few people around. The new gondola seems to be changing peoples' behaviour; a lot more people ski all the way down to Holenstein than used to be the case with the old, slow lift.

There's a bit more happening in the village now. Sina's have live music tomorrow, and the Caprice are having their opening party on Friday. Cinema opens on Saturday with Last Christmas, and it’s free entry.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@telford_mike, the new cabins look a lot better than the old ones and to have a far better view of the surroundings.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Top4 ski pass rising to CHF777 next year. Price for kids is unchanged.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/178640/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First sunny day for a week. Pistes firm and coverage ok. Nice Christmas lunch at Allmend, the restaurant is under new management, food and service excellent.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty good at Männlichen this morning, but wow it was busy. Pistes are nice after yesterday’s snowfall.

The village is chock-a-block.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike wrote:
The village is chock-a-block.

You can say that again, I don't recall the area ever being so busy on my previous visits. Yesterday I and some friends went to Grindelwald First and there was a huge queue at the gondola base station, then when we came back down at the end of the day the ski busses back to Grindelwald bahnhof were jam packed. Today I arrived at Brandegg for a late lunch at 13:40, it took 35 mins in the queue before I'd got my food! Shocked Hopefully as tomorrow is a Monday some of the Swiss locals who have been here this weekend will no longer be here....
latest report
I'd commented on my Facebook page how busy it's been in the Jungfrau region these last few days and Steve from Central Sports in Wengen said that the skipass system crashed on Saturday! Shocked Apparently it was a record day.
latest report
Seemed just as busy today. Got the 8.15 gondola from Wengen and had a few glorious runs before coffee, then it was just crowds and more crowds, especially at Scheidegg. At least the sun's shining.
snow conditions
Yesterday we went to Mürren. In the evening there were big queues at Grutschalp for the cable car going down to Lauterbrunnen.
latest report
Avoid the crowds at First. Early train out of Lauterbrunnen, missed the bus in Grindelwald and walked to Firstbahn which was queuing at 8.55. Well worth the effort, pistes superb and even found some untracked powdery stuff.
A little bit on the mild side, felt like a friendly day in April!
snow report
Anywhere but Wengen today (pic from Central Sport)

Apparently there have been issues with the ticketing system which won’t have helped.
latest report
very quiet here Sad

[Mürren News]

Allmendhubel - Lilly's Magic snow adventure slope is being created this year Sad

http://youtube.com/v/MyTRmVnEmO4

Winteregg - Ski Cross slope will now be positioned on the right hand side on the winteregg chair (when going up on it) which is normally off piste. In the old days back in late 1950's it was a piste run.
link - www.facebook.com/thekandaharskiclub/photos/a.387087945490838/430887484444217/?type=3&theater
ski holidays
I’m heading out to Wengen on the 29th February and I booked my lift pass through the official site, possibly a silly question but do I pick it up at Wengen’s ticket office?
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
I’m heading out to Wengen on the 29th February and I booked my lift pass through the official site, possibly a silly question but do I pick it up at Wengen’s ticket office?

Railway station yes.
snow report
Good to see the temps/FL possibly might be dropping by next weekend!
snow report
@Alastair Pink, did I just spot you at the station in your tweeds?
ski holidays
Warm again today - freezing level well above the ski area. Pretty quiet at Männlichen, no queues at all. Artificial snow on a hard base - good fun to ski now the crowds have gone home.

ski holidays
Hello all. I've been following this thread for some time. Thanks for all the great posts! I will be visiting with my family for half-term staying close to Männlichen gondola in Wengen. I have a bunch of (dumb) questions that hopefully you can help with:

1. I know Swiss trains are great and that's the best way to arrive from Zurich. Having said that, can anyone recommend a private transport service that they had a great experience with?
2. Do I need to buy train tickets in addition to lift passes to access the cog rails?
3. What's the best way to get to the top of the hill (Kleine Scheidegg area)? Can I take Männlichen and connect with lifts on the Grindelwald side or is the train the only option?
4. Any restaurant recommendations in the Wengen village?
ski holidays
Others have more knowledge than I but in brief..

2.Not to KS but if you want to go to the top of Europe you have to buy a ticket.
3.To get to KS I prefer gondola and ski across, it's not especially difficult. The train is fine but skiing is more fun isn't it. Getting back from KS to the gondola involves a fairly long drag lift which my snowboarding mates aren't keen on.
4. I like Da Sinas (remember to book). Ate at 'pasta & more' last January and it was pretty decent. I haven't sampled the more expensive places I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. No - everyone uses the train. A quick google will find you lots of taxi firms in Interlaken and Grindelwald who do airport transfers, e.g. https://boedelitaxi.com/68/home

2. All the trains (as far as Interlaken) except Jungfraujoch are included if you buy a whole area pass. Also local busses in Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Interlaken.

3. As GG says above, the nicest way to Scheidegg is via the gondola and ski round. Takes less than half an hour. Take the train if the weather’s bad.

4. Depends on your budget. The Caprice is really good, as is the Silberhorn Stube. Tapas in the Pickel bar very nice. At the other end of the scale the Santos takeaway is great, and Golden India does lovely curry. Agree with GG about Sina's and Pasta & More too.
snow report
And I'm in agreement with Mike about Golden India, I was delighted when that opened. Good to see the bakery has reopened too.

Mike, have you heard what shape the Lauberhorn is in? Wasn't sure if the high winds and slightly above average temperature had been a problem
ski holidays
@grumpygargoyle, It's good. The FIS delegates have done their inspection, and we're good to go.

Watch the World Cup village being built: https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/lauterbrunnen-switzerland-wengen
snow conditions
Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Re The Lauberhornrennen: FIS gave positive snow control a few days ago. Program confirmed!

https://twitter.com/WeltcupWengen/status/1213124414268678144

We had a train disaster last year going from Malpensa to Saas-Fee. Making three train transfers after an overnight flight from America, with all the luggage needed for a ski vacation and two young children in tow is no small feat. I'm looking on SBB and see over 500CHF for roundtrip train tickets (2nd class-2xadults, 2xchildren) from Zurich airport. Does that seem correct?

What if one purchases the Grindelwald-Wengen pass? Is there a rail pass I could buy that would provide discounts?
Quote:

All the trains (as far as Interlaken) except Jungfraujoch are included if you buy a whole area pass.

Has anyone done the Jungfraujoch with young children? Mine are 3 & 6. Did the tunnel freak them out? I've heard that it's about 15 minutes that the train is in the mountain. Is that accurate? With a ski pass you buy the 61 CHF ticket(Jungfraujoch Top Ticket - connecting ticket to the winter sports pass)?
We took our girls last winter to the ice pavilion in Saas-Fee and it actually scared them.
Has anyone had recent experience with ski schools? We've been happy with the Swiss School in previous years.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
@Alastair Pink, did I just spot you at the station in your tweeds?

Yes, that was me! Laughing It was my last day and I'd been skiing with Andrew and some other DHO members. I was getting the train down to Wilderswil where I'd been staying the last few days and today I set off driving back to the UK (overnight stop tonight in Belgium), but I'm back in Wengen in March. Very Happy
snow report
@goweje, if you buy the local Wengen/Grindelwald pass you're still covered for the trains from those villages up to Kleine Scheidegg.

Ski schools. Altitude ski school have small classes and are generally awesome* You'll need to book ahead for half-term. http://www.altitude-wengen.com/

Jungfraujoch - the train is in the tunnel for 27 minutes (all the way from Eigergletscher to the top). And yes, if you have a ski pass it's CHF61 for the round trip.

* my wife works for them Cool

Another beautiful day today. Great pistes and very few people.

snow conditions
The way it should be...... beautiful skiing up at Muerren on empty pistes. Winteregg in particularly good shape.
South facing to Gimmeln quite poor ( no snow cannon)
Unless something very odd occurs we will not be having an Inferno down to Lauterbrunnen this season.
ski holidays
Rogerdodger wrote:
The way it should be...... beautiful skiing up at Muerren on empty pistes. Winteregg in particularly good shape.
South facing to Gimmeln quite poor ( no snow cannon)
Unless something very odd occurs we will not be having an Inferno down to Lauterbrunnen this season.

Sadly no Inferno down to Lauterbrunnen this year
snow report
The Swiss Ski School in Wengen is also excellent situated in the centre of the village with a multi national team with a fantastic childrens program over half term

https://www.skiwengen.ch/en.html
latest report
I know the continental high pressure will not more on for another 10 days but come on weather Sad Sad (i feel better letting that out)
latest report
First Downhill of the Europa Cup races today. Guess what? It’s sunny and mild again. We skied home for lunch and it started clouding over a bit, but it doesn’t feel like there's any major change in the weather on the way.

ski holidays
The second Europa Cup race took place this afternoon. Italians Davide Cazzaniga and Henri Battilani were first and second, with Swiss skier Ralph Weber in third.

Needless to say the Italians were absolutely delighted – there’ll be a party tonight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy