Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
After 40 years of service the old Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen gondolas have been removed and shipped to their new owners (whoever that might be). https://www.facebook.com/maennlichen/videos/588485374983762/?t=46

Farewell to what the boarder community referred to as the "two spliff lift" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hooray and about 10 years too late but then that gondola is one reason I have now discovered Austria..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
40cm+ of new snow in the village this morning. Still snowing. Trains in the valley have been replaced by busses.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went up to Ks for a coffee. The skiing was interesting......... Felt sorry for the gang trying to complete the arena for Snowpenair this weekend!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
40cm+ of new snow in the village this morning. Still snowing. Trains in the valley have been replaced by busses.

So trains from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen have been replaced by busses? I'd have thought it was easier to clear a rail line with a snowplough attachment on the front of a train than to plough a road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was a power problem stopping the trains
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well over one metre of fresh snow at Kleine Scheidegg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jill t wrote:
It was a power problem stopping the trains

Ah, alles klar! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Over a metre of new snow at Scheidegg. What a day!

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic. Not a bad season for you guys! Wish there was some way of spending a few last minute days there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still good skiing, and it was nice to see the sun today. Eigernordwand, Wixi, Lauberhorn and Arven lifts open at Scheidegg. No queues, no crowds.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best pic of the season probably, taken by my mate Ali. That's me on the right, on the racetrack just above the tunnel under the railway at Wasserstation.

It's all still very good, and on the Wengen side you can still ski back to the Caprice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's looking good for Easter. It's still possible to ski back to the village (just), but up at Scheidegg everything is in great shape. Eigergletscher this morning.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really should try to avoid these threads after returning home. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
New webcam in Wengen? - https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/lauterbrunnen-wengen
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
New webcam in Wengen? - https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/lauterbrunnen-wengen

I can just see the roof of our house Very Happy Watch the cable car go at .10, .30, and .50.
snow conditions
Bad news:

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/173682/

Mürren-Schilthorn will no longer be included in the Top4 skipass. The pass will get you to the village via the BLM, but it won’t work on any lifts. Not sure whether this is a sign of the rift between Schilthornbahn and Jungfraubahn deepening, or something else. The linked article says it's because there's very little demand, which I find hard to believe. Either way, it’s a great shame. I'll miss my fish & chips at the Bellevue Crying or Very sad
snow report
@telford_mike, that's a shame as I was seriously considering getting a Top4 skipass for this coming season. Not being able to use it for the Mürren-Schilthorn ski area is definitely a negative, but on balance I think I'll still get it as I wanted to check out the other resorts as well as spend time in Wengen. It just means I'll confine myself to the Wengen and Grindelwald side (unless they offer a Mürren-Schilthorn day supplement at a reasonable price). Sad
latest report
@Alastair Pink, supplement for Mürren is a hefty CHF66 per day. The people I feel most sorry for are those who live and work in Mürren itself - they'll need to buy the regular Jungfrau season pass at CHF950.
snow report
Frustrating news about Schilthorn leaving the Top 4 scheme. The news sent me to my diary to see where we spent our days this season. On 14 occassions we skied some part of Schilthorn.
Interestingly 14 days were spent at the other areas, Meiringen, Lenk, Adelboden and Zweisimmen.
The top 4 pass is roughly 280chf cheaper than the Jungfrau Region pass. It boils down to a very simple choice, convenience of two hours skiing Winteregg (Schilthorn) or the variety of all the other places.
I think I know which way I'm heading and it isn't with 007 Schilthorn.
Forgot to mention top4 also covers Kandersteg and the beautiful valley beyond Sunnbule cable car.
snow report
@Rogerdodger, It's a tricky one for us. We don’t go to Mürren that often - less than 10 times a season. Even so, I'd miss not being able to go, so I'm gradually coming round to thinking that I'll have to buy the Jungfrau pass instead. We never go to any of the other areas on the Top4 pass.

Mind you, I think a lot of Swiss people, including shareholders, are going to be mightily p*ssed off about this, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this decision gets reversed. Fingers crossed.
snow report
https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/oberland/top4-skipass-im-kommenden-winter-ohne-schilthorn/story/10191459

reading the comments after the article they are not pleased
snow report
New mini-site for the V-Bahn. https://v-bahn.jungfrau.ch/en/v-bahn/eiger-express
ski holidays
Excellent news, the powers that be have finally seen sense and reversed the decision to exclude Mürren and the Schilthorn from the Top4 skipass! The online petition started a few days ago complaining about the original decision had already passed 7600 signatures. What's more the price remains at CHF666 for early sales from Sep 1st . Smile https://www.htr.ch/story/schilthorn-bleibt-nun-doch-mitglied-vom-top4-skipass-23712.html
snow conditions
Excellent news indeed. So the 'quid pro quo' here is as follows: The Swiss Travel Pass will no longer get you up to the Schilthorn. The Jungfraubahn were always unhappy with this, as it meant foreign visitors could go to the Schilthorn for free, while Swiss residents had to pay. Of course it also meant that foreign visitors who were short of time and could only squeeze in one excursion were far more likely to choose the Schilthorn over the Jungfraujoch, as it was effectively free. This will no longer be the case, and it creates a level playing field between the two companies.

I wonder what they'll fall out about next season.
ski holidays
Funnily enough the Swiss pass only ever used to take you up to Village level, having travelled around Switzerland over many summers in my teens and early 20's I used these extensively, the pass took you up to Murren and Wengen and Grindelwald but it did not take you over the top from Wengen to Grindelwald you had to go via Zweilutschinen, it did however give you a discount on the regional pass which did take you up higher.
latest report
CNN report on the 50th anniversary of James Bond at the Schilthorn: https://www.cnnmoney.ch/shows/spotlight/videos/her-majestys-secret-service-turns-50?fbclid=IwAR3EvhTng-VBEyCiHXNs4c0BO4nXydkoGHiypVTuW5D3zfcHlmhFeb5gQ8E
snow report
And another live view of the village, with our house bang in the middle!

https://www.liveincam.com/en/cam/lauterbrunnen-switzerland-wengen
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, so your building is the one just to the left of the Curling Club hut in the webcam photo?
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@telford_mike, so your building is the one just to the left of the Curling Club hut in the webcam photo?

The dark brown one behind the curling club building. There are so many webcams, living in Wengen is like being on Big Brother these days! (Mea Culpa, I installed a few of them).
snow conditions
I've started a thread in the Snowsports section about the recent decision of FIS to change the format of the Men's Alpine Combination (replacing the downhill race element with a Super-G instead) and the problems that will cause for the Wengen organisers: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147947&highlight=
latest report
Deep joy! The village bakery has re-opened after an absence of 8 months. The new owners have a wood fired pizza oven outside the shop, and they were doing a roaring trade this afternoon.

snow report
Great news, the loss of the bakery was a blow even to those of us who only visit for a few days.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, good news as you say! Smile
snow conditions
Männlichen is a building site, but the cables are on for the new gondola.

Funny to see busses up here, replacing the gondola service. The Männlichen Berghaus is also undergoing a major renovation.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-06-19 23:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@telford_mike, how did the busses get up there?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@telford_mike, how did the busses get up there?

They can (just about) drive up the toboggan track. Travel sickness pills recommended for all the hairpins!
latest report
@telford_mike, thanks
I see that they're running a temporary bus service for the tourists from Grindelwald up to Männlichen while there's no gondola in operation. In which case I bet the ride back down is even more interesting on the haipins! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
It's a bit warm.

snow report
@telford_mike, 10 degrees at the Jungfraujoch! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy