Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski poles with clips? pros and cons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's
I have now bought the skis I used to rent and of course now need poles.

Last year one of our guides had poles (I think they were Leki?) that clipped on to a strap on her gloves.

What are the pros and cons of these, I tore my collateral ligament on my thumb being a silly b***er in the kids ski park a few years ago Embarassed and wondered if these would be good. Dont think I am going to try the ski jumps again though, took nearly a year to fix my thumb Laughing

Also what is the best way to decide what length I need, I am 5' 3 tall.

When I choose a new schooling whip for training horses the balance is very important, is this so for ski poles, Dont worry I am NOT going to use them when riding horses. Shocked Any tips on choosing the right poles gratefully recieved.

My thanks in anticipation
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use nothing but Leki trigger poles they clip to a glove via a plastic attachment on a strap which is fastened to the glove. You press a lever on pole top to release again. Advantages you never drop a pole, my only reason for using them; disadvantages (only about the plastic trigger not the Trigger S which uses a loop attachment) The release lever freeze in cold weather particularly in off-piste conditions or when snowing and the pole will not release from the glove say when arriving at restaurant or lift stations, a pain on chairs and Pomas. I have had falls when the glove is frozen and the pole has not released coursing it to wrap around my hand until the strap rips off. Care must be exhibited when using detachable Pomas that the hanger does not bounce off the plastic glove attachment. In poor conditions I do not clip on, or in trees although you shouldn't have a pole strapped then anyway. They are also not as good when skating and pushing along uphill paths where I unclip due to narrow tops. They have a nice very very accurate swing when planting because they are tight fitted to the glove, are available in different type weight material and price, but practice when first using them to avoid mid planting in short radius. Good luck

A pole if you plant it, is a vital part of the kit, any shop will measure you up, you will be about 115-120 find one which suits your pole swing (I'll let others go on about basket sizes, constructions, materials, colours, whether to have trigger speed anhedral shape, Leki extendable, bendy SG poles, ice point ends the thread is never ending and probably will be.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy