Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit me out with ski's, poles, boots and bindings...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think I want to try this skiing malarky.

I've asked my snowheads lurker brother about what to get but I'm convinced he doesn't know what he's talking about 80% of the time and the people I work with are mostly super experienced, cliff hucking, back country French/Swiss ski gods who may be advising me to get something that is not suitable. I'm asking here to get a balance of advice.

I am a fairly accomplished Snowboarder having done one season in Canada so I'm not completely new to the snow. I have only skied once and that was cross country skiing when I was drunk so doesn't really count. I'm 6' 4", about 76kg and want to eventually be able to go back country to find the good stuff as well as skiing inbounds. I live in Switzerland so will hopefully get to go most weekends (although things are not looking too great here at the moment Sad ).

Here's the catch...ski, bindings and poles must all be Scott, anything from the current range. Boots can be whatever.

The Scott Reverse ski in 176 has been suggested. Any comments? I rather like the look of the Powd'Airs I bought for my brother that are sitting by my desk. Maybe I'll just keep those Very Happy

For boots I assume most brands are of similar quality so a good boot is one that fits the best, right? Apparently I would benefit from a custom foot bed or something.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire skis a couple of times and see what you get on with. Maybe find a store who will deduct the cost of your rentals from whatever skis you go for. Most important is to get the.boots sorted... Sounds like you already know that though.

Most of all - enjoy. Oh, and get some lessons Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhotoTim, you are right. Your brother knows nothing about anything... Wink. Except the sexual habits of trees...

Boots that fit. Poles the right length, bindings that work....

Can't help on the skis, but given what you will end up doing I'd be looking for something a bit longer and about 90mm wide unless you are going to stay on piste....

Can't you just borrow demos from your employers?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lurker?! Trees?! Stoaty - rumours are that he might be giving it a go when I visit in a couple of weeks. shoogly, I'll teach him everything I know (all 20% that is). Mentioning no names but what I can definitely say is that he won't, under any circumstances, ski like an inebriated cephalopod wink

PhotoTim, if you can fit into boots that fit my bindings then you'll be in quite a lot of pain... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why Scott? You get a cheap deal on them or something?

The easy answer on the poles - get the cheap ones. No point spending £100 for a pair of poles when £20 will do you fine.

On the skis, you are going to need something that can give you half a chance while you're learning. A Powdair is 98mm underfoot in the minimum length you'd need. That is not a ski to learn on. Even if you want to be a powder monkey, you still need to learn putting in turns, and frankly you may as well hire something for the first couple of weeks on skis - trying to handle the kind of ski you aspire to at that point will do more harm than good. If you must buy a ski now, get an allrounder that at least gives you a hope, even the Reverse is too wide IMO but better than going for something like the Powdair.

On the boots, fit is everything. You're going to have to find a good Scott dealer that carries the whole range in the sizes you need, or try and find somewhere with a boot fitter and the Scott range. You've either got to go through the whole lot or get someone who knows what they are doing to help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PhotoTim, do they still do the Aztec Pro? They'd actually be great for you. Otherwise you could just buy mine off me wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. I won't be getting Powd'airs, I've already been told they will be too stiff and wide for me to learn on.

It has to be Scott because I work for them so I get a good deal. I can always upgrade again next year once I have progressed, however I would rather get a decent all round ski now and then an additional more advanced ski (for powder, touring or something) next season. The reverse is an all conditions ski apparently but will it be a bit wide? Its an 87 width in 176 length. We also do a Neo which is narrower and the Aztec which is narrower still.

For boots I can have any brand as Scott don't make them. I tried on a bunch today and the best fitting boots were the Salomon Impact 90 and the Head Adapt Edge 90, with the Head be slightly more comfortable. Any comments on the Head boots? Too stiff? Too soft?

Cheers,

Tim
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy