Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jackets......

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have only just registered, mainly to ask this question but am a regular reader of the site. I was sucked into skiing at 23 years old (now 29) and have to go at least once a year so must have been about 9 times now. Andorra, Austria and Italy on piste only but experienced a bit of deeper stuff last year and loved it.

Anyway. I need some advice. I bought some cheap skiing gear years ago from TKmax and every year have wanted some better stuff but couldnt justify it! This year I have a bit more money and am prob gonna have three trips in 2012 so I want some new stuff!

The main question is about a new jacket. I want a shell, preferably a softshell with a hood, pit zips, skirt and room for a helmet. As breathable and waterproof as possible. Oh an i dont like really baggy gear - somthing a bit more fitted - im 6'2 and about 90kg.

At the moment I am looking at these two jackets;

Haglofs Couloir : http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/shell-layer/men/couloir_jacket-fw-en-us.aspx

or

Arcteryx Sabre SV : http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Sabre-SV-Jacket#

Opinions or alternatives are welcomed.

Paul
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paulames, Norrona do a really nice fitted soft shell.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Paul,

Just bought a Sabre sv ( litchen yellow! much better colour than it looks in adverts ), having owned an Arcteryx Stingray for some years; I am 5ft 11, and 90kg +. The Sabre is much baggier, being "relaxed fit", but it looks like it will take alot more layers underneath, and is longer than the Stingray. I bought these soft shells because I wanted to use them year round, for MTB, and hiking about; they have been fantastic. Before buying Arcteryx, I would never have spent £ 250 on a jacket, but they are really well made and tailored, and I use them year round. I had some wear to the waterproof cover on the main zip, and it is going to be repaired under their lifetime guarantee. I have never paid RRP, getting them in sales, or in Canada. The arms on the Sabre are a fraction long on me, so should be perfect on you. If I had a gripe it would be lack of inner pockets ( they both have 1 small one) but on the other hand you know where to look for things. Also been out in Canadian temps ( lower than -30 !) and had no probs with suitable layers. Stingray made in Canada, Sabre made in China. Also got an Atom sv hoody which I use even more; its really warm.
Many would say that you are paying for a brand, but Arcteryx is top technical clothing which does what it says on the label; they probably put their ski jackets away for 8 months of the year. I dont !! Happy hunting
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paulames, Arcteryx fit is quite baggy. I've got a Couloir jacket and it's a nice piece of kit. Have a look at Norrona Lofoten as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cstreat - thanks for your input. What size do you have? I have looked at the sizing charts and think that a medium would be the size I would need.

Bobin - Do you have any issues with the jacket etc?

had a look at the Norrona Lofoten but not sure I like the look of them as much.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you really, really need a snow skirt ? If not, how about something you can use for other stuff too. I've fallen in love with my Patagonia Stretch Element. To me, it's a multi purpose jacket but it is really excellent for skiing too & I will not be wearing my old fibrefill jacket again. I also use it for hiking and in really foul weather when I need protection from wind, rain, sleet and snow in the winter, I use it for running too. Totally waterproof, good venting when needed, a close fit but because it's semi-stretchy, layering is easy. The hood is specifically designed for a skiing/climbing helmet. Armpit to hip zip vents if/when you need airing.

Thorough review here ... http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2545

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 6-12-11 9:49; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry; large. I think medium would be a bit small in the arms, but try on at S and R, then hunt it down cheaper else where.In reviews that I read before buying, some larges found medium suited them better. The snow skirt does`nt interfere with any activities that I have done, and stops the draught when wearing just a t shirt. The other Stingray is a perfect fit when wearing just a T and or sweat shirt, but ballons a bit with lots of layers as it is much tighter. The Sabre will be better for skiing, but maybe less of an all rounder.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Arc'teryx sidewinder fits pretty loose as well.

Next jacket will be a Norrona as they fit me perfectly, being more of a tailored fit. This works much better for a tall lad like yourself. I'm 6'4" and 95kg, so pretty similar to yourself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at some of the Patagonia gear. I have found their gear excellent. Likemoffatross, I have gone for light multiuse soft shell - no snow skirt, and pit zips replaced with vented pockets, extremely light, very comfy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought an Arc'teryx Sabre SV in Bondi Blue colour last year and it is fantastic, the best jacket I've ever owned. It is technically excellent and really good looking too, attracting lots of compliments. Yes it is expensive and more than I would normally think of paying for a jacket, but in this case worth it, IMO. As I live a short drive from the Alps and ski all season, it offers the flexibility to use it on both the coldest and warmest days, and also for cycling, walking the dog, etc.

Regarding size: as others have said they do come up big, and as I didn't want it too baggy I bought a medium size whereas normally I would buy a large. I'm 5'11" (180 cms) and about 87kg. It easily fits a thermal shirt, lightweight shirt and heavyweight fleece underneath, as it flexes in all the right places so I never felt constricted at all, and gives a more flattering look to it to, I think. However try it on first to make your own mind up depending on what look & feel you prefer, and do what I did and also put on the heaviest fleece you can find in the shop to make sure it fits OK with the heavyweight clothing underneath, just in case.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replys guys. I wish it was a simple as going into a shop and trying these things on but tehy just aint available in my area. I have ordered the Haglofs Couloir in a large thinking it would be less baggy than the Arc'teryx. Hopefully it fits but if not I can always send it back! I will let you know how it goes! Next stop will be some head protection - everyone seems to have some these days and they are so light it seems silly not to have one!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paulames, if you're dropping that kind of cash get something from Sweet Protection..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you've got the cash to spare, either of those two would be fine. I usually aim for something less expensive and get more toys instead.

Usually I'd grumble about the appropriation of the term 'softshell' by marketers, but I'll spare you. Remember that 'waterproof' puts tight limits on 'breathable'. Also consider that carrying a lightweight shell with you means you can wear a nice breathable snow-proof but not rain-proof jacket most of the time.

I much prefer non-membrane fabrics cos they breathe very well; much better than any membrane fabric like goretex 'softshell' or windstopper. Non-membrane fabrics are also much more amenable to repair. I've been using a Rab Exodus quite a bit; it isn't waterproof in heavy rain but it will keep out wind, moderate rain, sleet and snow just fine. No snowskirt, but it does have pitzips and a helmet compatible hood with a decent storm-brim. The hood works fine without a helmet, and I've used the jacket for all manner of non-ski related things as the styling is reasonably subdued. The price savings of an Exodus over a Sabre will get you a budget ski holiday Very Happy I also like the look of the Rab Baltoro Pro; it uses a much more weatherproof fabric, but it also has a very warm fleecy lining and I just don't spend enough time in places cold enough to need that as I tend to get quite warm when active.

Edit: well, that'll teach me to spend a few minutes typing up a post; missed that you've already settled on the Couloir. Haglofs tend to make stuff with a fairly 'athletic' fit, it should be fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paulames, I'd second the Arcteryx choice, but the hood isn't removable. I'd also suggest buying a summer/recreational jacket and keeping your top drawer ski jacket just for skiing -they can be re-proofed but generally you're looking for comfort and mountain performance etc which at say £350+ would be wasted on a trip to Tesco's (those trolleys can be wicked) If you work on the basis it will last say 365 days until it's completely useless, then buying a fit for purpose jacket for each task may in the long run work out better, and only a muppet would wear their Arcteryx to go shopiing in Iceland! Sweet protection have some really cool gear and they have a pre-christmas sale on which might suit you? www.sweetprotectionstore.com.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow. I;ve not seen much Sweet stuff before. Not only do they look hideous, they cost an arm and a leg!
snow conditions
galpinos, There'ya go: I'd probably swap my Arcteryx Stingray for a supernaught is Bird Blue- Teh world would be a much duller palce if we all agreed and wore the same jackets Embarassed
latest report
galpinos, There'ya go: I'd probably swap my Arcteryx Stingray for a supernaught is Bird Blue- Teh world would be a much duller palce if we all agreed and wore the same jackets Embarassed
snow report
All my ski stuff is the same as what I wear climbing so I'm not the most fashionable on the slopes, I wouldn't worry about my opionion.

My legwear has been christened the "ski chinos" by my wife due to the colour and slim cut.
ski holidays
OK, I bit !! Embarassed Toofy Grin

Jivebaby, for sure, it'd be very sad if anyone went shopping while posing around in a brand name ski jacket but I don't get your logic behind limiting a quality outer layer to skiing only. Surely, what's designed for the mountain is good for the mountain whether you've got planks on your feet or not ? Smile

galpinos, agreed, but something like their £25 Shocked lime green iphone4skin is probably quite common amongst the shoppers at Tescos, Iceland, M&S & Poundland. Smile
snow report
galpinos wrote:
Wow. I;ve not seen much Sweet stuff before. Not only do they look hideous, they cost an arm and a leg!

Their kit looks pretty conservative to me.
snow report
I find the waterproofing of my Goretex jackets gets a much harder workout in the UK than it does when skiing. I can't remember the last time I skied in the rain.
snow report
Jivebaby, you missed a great sale in the winter (all colours and sizes). Still some available if you know where to look... http://www.sweetprotection.com/webshop/en/special-offers/technical-clothing/
snow conditions
Alans deep bath, Yeah great price: the Stingray in new/unused as is the Salomon Aero-X : The Supernaught is awesome, but not reality for me this year Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Paulames, check out the DC AMO 2012 The Royal Purple one, thats badass.
snow report
Jivebaby, Was that me that you saw in Iceland? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Jivebaby, don't think this'll cheer you up right now but if you ever get the chance to go to one of the EB marquee sales at the snowdomes in early autumn, you might get a result. I got my Patagonia jacket at 75% discount and same off a pair of ski pants.
ski holidays
Paulames wrote:
cstreat - thanks for your input. What size do you have? I have looked at the sizing charts and think that a medium would be the size I would need.

Bobin - Do you have any issues with the jacket etc?

had a look at the Norrona Lofoten but not sure I like the look of them as much.

No issues. I've got a few bits of Haglofs gear and it is all top quality. The Couloir is lined vs a pure shell so I use mine in the cold months and have a lighter shell for Spring skiing/touring but it could do both.
ski holidays
Paulames, I've a Haglofs softshell, received as present as i wouldn't buy such an expensive jacket for myself. It's turned out to be fantastic - very, very well made, and i still use it after 6 years (as a daily jacket or a bit of climbing). The fit is "fitted", not baggy at all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy