Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro camera... anyone got one?

Poster: A snowHead
After trawling YouTube over the weekend and watching many skiing videos. I am in love with the GoPro HD camera, having taken a look on eBay I'm now a little confused; there are loads of options.

As I'll be looking to use the camera mountain biking and skiing, I was going to get the "naked" version and add some accessories. If anyone else has used one, what accessories did you get?

Nick.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got the HD Helmet Hero, which has pretty much everything I want for skiing and kayaking use. If you're considering the new GoPro2, the Outdoor one may be worth looking at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, got a fair few of the Gopro HD Hero's and currently replacing them with GoPro HD Hero 2's which are a darn sight better than the original overall.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen several snowboarders clamping the camera to a regular ski pole, does the Outdoor kit come with a clamp to do that?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not as standard, you will need to buy the extra mount for that, it's the seat post mount you need and not the roll bar mount. Even with the seat post mount it's occasionally too big for some poles, in which case you have to shim it or mount it on the 'thicker' end of the pole.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick-o, got the new HD Hero 2 - outdoor edition (check the sig) with the mounts and such for what you'd be doing. As ansta said, some mounts you have to get on their own at an extra price.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1 wrote:
Yep, got a fair few of the Gopro HD Hero's and currently replacing them with GoPro HD Hero 2's which are a darn sight better than the original overall.

What's actually better about the HD2? Just trying to decide if it's worth considering over the older models.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 960 comes with seatpost mount, head lamp type mount, the low profile helmet mount and various flat mounts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster, main thing is it has a better lens, higher quality photos, few usability tweaks and it can film in 120fps as well now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
also got a faster processer and the big plus for some is when they release the wifi back you can we are told, record and stream over wifi at the same time. As well as adding a remote control (which can also be used with the original HD Hero).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1 wrote:
and the big plus for some is when they release the wifi back you can we are told, record and stream over wifi at the same time.

I can't imagine why I would want to do that Puzzled
There wouldn't even be wifi to stream anything over while recording out on the mountain. Or have I misunderstood the concept?

I like the 120 fps though, that would be great for slow motion footage but on the other hand the filesize would be hideous.

More importantly though, how much better are the optics? Does it deal any better with exposure in bright and dark conditions? Does it have a better dynamic contrast range, optical resolution, colour depth etc? In other words will the end result look any better than the previous model? Any real comparisons available?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I can't imagine why I would want to do that
There wouldn't even be wifi to stream anything over while recording out on the mountain. Or have I misunderstood the concept?

It will stream directly to a wifi enabled device (eg ipad or smartphone). Useful for lot's of things including immediate post lesson analysis as an example. Ski run - See hi-def footage on the ipad straight after with instructor, that isn't it's main purpose in my opinion, but still could prove useful. You could also send the footage straight to a smartphone for uploading to youtube (other media sharing sites are available).

The optics are better (a glass lens rather than plastic) pixel count for still goes up from 5mp to 11mp. I've had a play with both but not as yet run them side by side to provide a direct comparison but will try to get some soon, perhaps this weekend.

Dynamic range is better, but the jury is out if it's noticable in most conditions and end production. It's still a bit grainy in poor (indoor) lighting but better than the original.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster, low light is better, still has same issues as first ones with over-exposure, but this can be fixed by using a polarised filter, which you can make out of a pair of 3d glasses!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You've sold the Hero 2 to me. A friend of mine had a phone a while back which had a silly feature, a camera with a very high fps. I'd purchase the phone just for that feature alone, everything looks awesome in hi def slow mo! We'll see how things are looking post crimbo. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The contour comes with an iPhone app that allows you to live view and stream. Also you can set up the camera from there. Dead handy if it's on your helmet.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
pixel count for still goes up from 5mp to 11mp.

My experience with still cameras is that unless the sensor is physically bigger, you just end up with more noise at higher ISO settings as you increase the pixel count. This happened all too often during the pixel count rat race amongst cheap point and shoot cameras. There isn't any real point in going above 5 or 6 mp with a sensor and optics this small. But that's what marketing demands.
But ultimately I wouldn't be buying this for taking still shots, so largely irrelevant.

Looking forward to the back-back video comparisons, that will be the decider for me.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, there's quite a lot aleady on youtube if you search for gopro hd hero2 review
snow report
Timmaah, Cheers, have to check them out
snow report
Markoncarp wrote:
The contour comes with an iPhone app that allows you to live view and stream. Also you can set up the camera from there. Dead handy if it's on your helmet.

That. is. awesome.

Now just to get some gloves that work with my iphone, using my tongue is just messy.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/-q54whUqA9E

Here you go. Looks awesome.
snow conditions
good but not quite what the gopro will do, this is bluetooth which cant handle the data for proper streaming. also at this time the app is only for fruit of the pomme variety i think, but other ones coming soon.

The gopro with wireless back will be able to record to an sd card and stream over wifi, hope to be getting my early version pretty soon.
snow report
Hi everyone, Just wanted to say a quick hello
My name is Gary and I work for DogCam in Cornwall, hope you don’t mind me posting here.

At the moment we’re getting quite a few reports of imported cameras coming into the UK via the likes of ebay/amazon.
From the feedback we’re getting from a lot of customers it’s worth making sure you know where these cameras are coming from before you buy..
If they are coming from outside of the UK then you will not have a UK warranty and that can prove difficult if things go wrong. Our distributors here in the UK won’t accept returns of grey imports if they go wrong for any reason.

GoPro cameras bought in the UK have a 2yr warranty and if you buy a US spec Contour Camera then you might only get a 6 month warranty….Please check first!
It’s also worth pointing out there are a few sites selling these cameras that look JUST like they are based here in the UK. Some even have .co.uk URLS. If you’re not sure….give them a call and make sure you can speak to a human person before ordering.

If anyone has any questions about helmet cameras then please give me a shout…more than happy to help and give unbiased advice.
ski holidays
dogcamsport or Gary,

perhaps given the large number of potential customers you would care to offer the snowheads a discount?
latest report
Have just done a week after being bought a GoPro helmet kit for birthday, and so far the quality is better than we could see with our bare eyes - it could see the bumps and contrast in the snow that we couldn't, and it picked out individual snow flakes coming down in front of the lens. Really quite astounding for such a diddy little box.

I can't imagine there is a better product on the market that is so well designed. If there is, I haven't seen it anywhere on the mountain this week or in any of the shops I've been to. Very simple. Easy to use. Does what it is designed to. Beeps to tell you what it is doing.
latest report
ansta1, A discount code for all you Snowheads sounds like a great idea!

dogcam sport is happy to offer a 10% discount off all our cameras and accessories through the code SHDC10 which can be used at the web checkout www.dogcamsport.co.uk or phone orders 01208 269 159

I'll also speak to the Snowheads admin team to make this available to all forum members.

Please note the offer excludes the ContourHD 1080P camera, as it is already heavily discounted
ski holidays
excellent news.
snow report
Awesome! I'll be all over that in the new year. Thanks dogcamsport.
snow conditions
dogcamsport,

I used a discount code off SVF to save me a sip of euro priced coffee.

Always welcome though.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 16-12-11 13:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dogcamsport, nice one, I'll be in touch too in the New Year to buy some GoPro camera gear for our next ski-trip in mid Feb
snow conditions
Just to go and one-up dogcam.. SNOWHEADS10 gives you 10% at http://skidvdstore.co.uk which has the new go pros and accessories, and I'll donate a further 5% (of the total paid price) to Snowheads as well.
ski holidays
Nothing like a bit of market competition!
snow conditions
Are there any decent helmet camcorders for less than £200. I'd quite like to get one for my husband but we only ski once a year so don't want to spend a fortune. Any advice much appreciated. Other problem is is has so far refused to wear a helmet skiing but maybe this would be a subtle way of encouraging him. Toofy Grin
snow report
snowymum, The GoPro HDs are now under £200. It's only the latest and greatest HD2 that is more expensive. The GoPro 960 looks a good budget option at around £150 ish. These can also be used without a helmet for what it's worth, but I guess you might consider that to be a disadvantage in this case!
snow report
snowymum, check Amazon UK for the old GoPro HD motorsports edition for quite a bit less than £200 and comes with a good selection of mounts. They also sell class 10 transcend cards for not very much money.

Also it's worth noting that the 120 fps on the new one comes with the price of shooting at WVGA (widescreen version of 640 x 480) so is largely unusable if you like HD, I really wish they'd managed 720p at 120 fps because I would happily have paid another £140 to have the new one if it had that feature.

On a separate note because next month will be the first time I've used the GoPro in the snow, do people find the lens fogs up a lot and do the anti-fog inserts help a lot? Any cheaper alternatives because they seem pretty expensive for what looks like some foam. Anyone tried packets of silica gel for example?
ski holidays
snowymum, - GoPro seem to have the market sewn up, but there are good alternatives - check out the Drifth HD170 Stealth, something like £125 on Amazon - I've got one and I love it, bit more user friendly than a GoPro with built in LCD and remote, and cheaper too! Picture quality is great. I keep singing its praises in these threads and am beginning to sound like a broken record!

http://youtube.com/v/sYH84DENo_A
snow report
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The gopro 960 looks good but the price doesn't seem to include any accessories so imagine it will cost more than £150 by the time I've bought attachments etc.

Element - I'll look your one up now.
snow report
snowymum, The 960 comes with the usual assortment of mounts and cables. You might be getting mixed up with the HD 'naked' version. Still need to budget for memory cards though, regardless of the model
snow conditions
GregL121, when we ship hire gopro's they always go out with the anti fog inserts. Personally i have never thought them necessary unless you are constantly going from warm to cold but it doesnt hurt. The silica bags will not fit in a standard gooro housing with the camera in, but there are ways to make them fit. The anti fog inserts are reusable so arent as bad value as the price initially looks.
snow report
Another question, I can see you can get a waterproof housing for surfing and what not, would a waterproof housing be necessary for skiing?
snow conditions
Nick-o, two choices - mine (helmet package) came with two rear doors, one is a sealed housing rated to 60m, which is absolutely loads for surfing and any amount of snow under the sun. The other rear door is swapped out in seconds and has two holes in the back in order to allow sound to get in - the back of the camera says less than 100mph use the holed back door, above 100mph the wind noise means you should use the sealed housing. Obviously for conditions where the camera could get wet use the sealed housing, in vast amounts of snow last week including a couple of tumbles the holed housing was absolutely fine. The camera is not sensitive to water so a bit of condensation isn't an issue.

GregL121, I had no fogging up at all - only time it fogged up was when entering warm restaurants, and as soon as it warmed up the fog cleared, once outside again no fog at all. Just not an issue in my experience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy