Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss, Weardale, North Pennines 2011/12 season

Poster: A snowHead
Could we see another pre-Xmas slide?

Some decent showers hitting Leeds, and forecast for continued showers to hit the North Pennines.

Webcam shot from Yad Moss this morning...

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and news from Weardale...

Well at last the snow has arrived and the season has begun. There has been a few inches on the fell tops today and a few intrepid kiteboarders went up to Swinhope and found more snow than expected and ran the lifts for an hour or two. The snow was wet and patchy and the base is not yet frozen so it was not safe to open for general use but the forecast is looking good with more snow predicted over the next couple of days and temperatures remaining low before a thaw in a week or so.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Peter S for the Ski Helmets at 'Aldi' Heads Up.

Got mine today for £20. Good product and a real Bargain

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_22168.htm

Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wow, I will be watching this with interest, was tempted to pay a visit last year but in the end missed out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like weardale ran lifts today, did anyone head up?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Looks like Weardale ran lifts today, did anyone head up?
Mrs MA & I were there today. To say that the conditions were marginal would be a bit of an understatement (!!). Least snow we've ever skied there - in about 10 visits. At times we were skiing about an eighth of an inch of snow over grass and soil Shocked - still managed to have a great day! We're easily pleased when it comes to sliding about..... wink

A few pics to follow once I've downloaded them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pics of Weardale today, as promised. Good time had by all - better than it looks on the photos! No rocks and bases all fine Very Happy.
[url=https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p25227-weardale-ski-10-12-11.html]
[/url]

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weardale, Yad Moss and Raise are all hoping to run tomorrow though the snow cover is still pretty thin particularly at Yad Moss where the westerly wind blows straight up the hill.

Raise however is buried snowHead

Check the websites and snowlines for all the details etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S, Is there any more foecast between now and satuday for Yad Moss? May make the trip up, however if its toucha nd go then im not making a 5 hour round trip from Manchester!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weardale looking very Pennine, this weekend should have been much better. Good to see the tow line run west of F1 has had a haircut. Unless anyone else know's different there's only Allenheads that hasnt run so far this season. Harwood (in Teesdale) has been open the last two weekends. Some nice pictures of Yad Moss from today in the facebook group.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good day today at Yad Moss

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1430/Copy_2_of_yad_moss_18th_dec_2011_028.JPG

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1430/yad_moss_18th_dec_2011_033.JPG
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
operational again tomorrow for day ticket and season ticket holders. Thin snow but perfect overhead conditions today.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
will there be any chance of getting a day ticket sunday if forecast snow comes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mattiwilkin, Possibily, Id guess the main reason for only have ticket holders on thin conditions is so the snow ( or lack of) doesn't quickly become overused and worn away etc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally kicked of my ski season with a trip to Weardale. Baseless but good skiing which got a little tufty towards the end of the day. Alpine sun on pennine snow. Good but relaxed day with F1 West Pistes giving some better cover. Didnt take the big camera but messed around with one of the small ones in panorama mode.

F1 and the Gully by onemanmows, on Flickr

Top and Tail - F1 / F2 interchange by onemanmows, on Flickr

F1 and Fendrith Lodge by onemanmows, on Flickr

F2 - top station and run starts by onemanmows, on Flickr

F2 - East run just after the steepening by onemanmows, on Flickr

The rest of the pics are here (linked to slide show):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157629207382639/show/

A report also in public reports section of Winterhighland - same pics as above link
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2899
snow conditions
Harwood, Allenheads and Yad Moss were all also go on the 5th of Feb.

This from the Harwood ski club website:
http://harwoodski.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12952548

Conditions looked simillar to Yad Moss. Weardale has the advantage of being north facing. Across all areas conditions seemed to be best upto early / mid afternoon then the sun and rising temps did there thing.
latest report
@mattiwilkin - its mainly numbers. Weardale has over 700members, Yad does season tickets rather than club membership but I think they are probably up there in numbers. This weekend had nearly 200 people at Weardale. Didnt seem like it but the car park was choca block. Yad by the sounds of it was simillar busy. I think this is about the limit of what the club ski areas can cope with and then only because people come and go through the day.

Upto the last couple of winters clubs like Weardale were down to around 150 members. Two or three years ago Harwood was thinking of closing. As I understand it they were reduced to selling the (vintage) tractor that drove one of the tows to raise funds for insurance etc. Shame but atleast the club still goes even if it is with one tow instead of two.

With only a hundred plus members day tickets were sold at the weekend because there was capacity. Good winters and the internet have brought Pennine Skiing to a whole load of new people. With a big surge in numbers - back to 80's levels - the clubs have had to manage numbers. Otherwise the people who support the club through the lean years get mobbed out in the good ones. The tows are also all run by volunteers - its not like a steam railway, its about the skiing not about the lifts!

If its running Harwood is nearly always a good bet for a ski or board at the weekend. Allenheads has been getting very busy at weekends not sure if they take members.
ski holidays
With all 5 clubs operational on Sunday I'm guessing there would have been over 500 people using lift served real skiing this weekend in Cumbria, Durham and Northumberland. At Yad Moss alone the tow can shift 600 people per hour. Assuming it averaged 400 p/p/h then that would have been over 2000 skier movements during the day. Thats a lot of potential happiness !

There probably isn't a great deal more development work that can reaslistically be done at the English clubs, beyond staying on top of the infrastructure that we alreday have.

However.......I wonder if anyone has ever considered snow making at Allenheads ? There must be 3 phase power there and an endless source of water in the mine just across the road. Its sheltered, easily accessible and is within a high, trapped valley where frost should be fairly common. One snow maker and a small piste machine (There is a spare one not too far away !).....would be an interesting feasibility study anyway.
snow conditions
Never mind the mine Peter, there's a reservoir at the top of the current tow field / bottom of the slope where the upper tow used to be. I've thougth it would be a go-er for a while. Been thinking snow cannons again after the thinning of the cover at the bottom of the tows during the course of Sunday.

Having a cannon at Weardale and Yad Moss would have been good for bulking up cover at the bottom on thin days such as the past weekend. of the tows but then there's the issue of continuity of water supply, right power supply etc. You know more about the Yad Moss generator than I do but I would have thought the main problem to overcome is water source at Yad. Stream in front of the garage freezes to a trickle during the winter? Weardale I think power and water are going to be issues.
latest report
We made it up to yad moss on sunday and had a good laugh! cover was thin and patchy to say the least. Think at yad they could possibly do some work to the pists (maybe dig them out into a large smoother gully to try hold the snow a little better and would make keeping it easier. the tow was pretty good and not as vicious as i expacted but probably not great for beginers and i did thing the tow track was actually worse than the tow itself and thought something could be done to make that a little easier to ride.
As i said we had a great time and the volenteers do a great job and were very committed and passionate. And was great to experience the day will def return but probably look for better conditions before making a 3hr drive
One more thing I did think the piste basher was a little excessive!!
snow report
Cant tell you if thats been thought of or not Matti but from the day job can tell you why it may be unlikely.

Yad is on what's known as a site of special scientific interest. Basically its very important for wildlife and is protected in law under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. There are very strict rules as to what can and cant be done. Even when you can do things you have to write to Natural England for permission - which they may or may not give. Re-profiling anything on a SSSI - even if its being done for nature conservation reasons never mind for snow holding. The piste basher is the best way to manage the snow given the restrictions on major ground works. Its got a very low ground presure - less than a human foot. Natural England are happy with the use of piste bashers on peat bogs because of the ground presure. There's even a company in Yorkshire who own a piste basher soley for nature conservation work on peat bogs!

Tow tracks everywhere where a bit challenging yesterday, hopefully more snow soon and we'll get back to the modern modern winter conditions.
ski holidays
Currently -3 at Yad Moss. Wind is north, north east 30 plus MPH. Good temp and direction for drifting snow down and across the fences.

The website says its a go for tomorrow although the Nenthead, Kirkstone Pass and A66 are currently closed (22;13pm). B6277 will no doubt be ....interesting.... at the moment Shocked

This is the 5pm webcam shot. Thin but filling in. snowHead

Would be a great effort if they can get some runs in tommorrow snowHead
snow report
Good day at Yadmoss today for 50 skiers according to the website and webcam. Brilliant effort everyone.

Snow should be freezing nicely now. temp is about plus 1.5 on the slope and dropping.

Snow should dry out, freeze and be fast first thing. Looks like some good skiing tomorrow in lighter winds but probably won't last till Friday ?
snow report
Ohhhh look at the great day I just missed ! Sad

http://www.facebook.com/groups/yadmoss/#!/photo.php?fbid=421781954514441&set=o.49230960115&type=1&theater

Still....just had a nice bike ride amongst the big snow drifts here, then washed my bike down using a hosepipe snowHead..... and later tonight I intend to go out with my touring skis for a short trip Laughing

What a fab start to Easter !
snow conditions
Mrs MA and I nipped up to (closed) Yad Moss on Good Friday and had a very enjoyable ski tour, despite the fog and drizzle. It was +3C at the roadside
and the snow was soft but in fairly decent nick.

We skinned from the roadside and managed to get all the way to the top of the tow with only about 10m in total of skinning over grass.
The tow track was mainly complete but had a big break where it flattens out above the piste basher garage. There was decent cover on the top 2/3
of the main run - better than we expected - and we managed to get all the way back down to the car.

Good time had by all! Very Happy.

PS: Can't seem to get Snowmediazone working at the moment....a few pics to follow....
snow report
MA,

I see there is a Pic from friday posted on the YM facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/groups/yadmoss/#!/photo.php?fbid=378584402174433&set=o.49230960115&type=1&theater
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy