Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instruction for an 8 y.o. - private or group?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per the title. My daughter has been skiing since she was 4 and is perfectly capable of skiing parallel; however, if she skis with the older siblings or with other kids in a group then out comes the racing snowplough again. When we go in February she will be nearly 9 & I'd like to get her to ski "properly". I wasn't impressed with the group lessons she had last year (different resort from this year) which seemed to be just the "follow me" type of instruction in a large group & I was wondering if a couple of sessions with a private instructor followed by skiing with me & wor lass would work better. Has anyone have similar experiences & recommendations?
We're going to Valloire from 18th Feb so anyone with experience of instruction there is doubly welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sukuinage, what would she like to do? thinking of my 8 year old grand-daughter, I'd be very wary of "persuading" a child that age to spend a holiday doing something they'd rather not do - might just put her off, which would be a shame. Being on her own with an adult instructor might be a wee bit intimidating (though someone who knows Valloire might be able to recommend a fun instructor - might be only lunchtime slots in peak time though).

One alternative might be a family lesson - it's always fun to do things with parents, and who knows? she might be able to do some things better than you!

Kids - even ones who are very competent - do seem to ski differently from adults for a good few years.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She'll probably learn more in a private lesson, and you'll be able to tailor the lesson to focus on what you want her to learn, but my guess is she might have more fun in a group lesson (although that depends on the dynamics of the group, the teacher, and her personality). Which would she rather do? I find children learn best when they are enjoying themselves, so it's worth considering which she would rather. Finally, not all group lessons are the same; they can vary a lot in style and quality.

When skiing with older siblings, is she struggling to keep up? That might be why the racing snowplough is coming out - she's on the edge of her comfort zone and so reverts to something where she feels stable.

I think your idea of a few private lessons and then practice with you on terrain where she feels comfortable (ask the instructor where they have been skiing) would probably be the fastest way to achieve what you want.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, thanks for the replies. I think I didn't explain myself very well. The idea would be a family lesson so she wouldn't be on her own; not that she'd have a problem with one-to-one as she'd feel that she could tell us where we're going wrong Smile
The idea is also that I'd be telling her the same things as the instructor so it wouldn't just be daddy who doesn't know what he's talking about Mad
As to her doing things better than me well that's what my 10 y.o. is working on - no way I'm following him in the snowpark.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not find a ski school that runs small groups at the same level? If she has specific development goals I can't see any point in having a family group and the instructor will have to compromise on something to accomodate the range of abilities and requirements.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the idea of a small group at the same level. I find it's always a bit of a lottery with the ski schools though, do you know anything about Valloire particularly? The family group idea was more to concentrate on her but also a few tips for the older ones who, naturally, aren't perfect skiers either.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy