Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Safari - skiing multiple resorts.

Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of early intermediates/intermediates living in Southern Africa. As travel costs to Europe are high we are looking at the idea of spending up to 3 weeks of skiing (with some breaks in between); so need some ideas on reasonably priced resorts that one could cobble together and have the opportunity of seeing different areas. Some initial thoughts are to spend the first week at one resort getting the ski legs back and the cobwebs out (Passo Tonale, Livigno, Pila spring to mind), hopefully picking up on one of the discounted weeks and then onto other resorts for 3 to 4 days at each. A day or so traveling/sightseeing (resting the legs) between resorts would be fine. Would train travel between resorts make this idea work or is car hire better? We would need to hire kit so I suppose this means renting and returning at each place or is there another option? I would appreciate your comments. Regards from a warm Botswana.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MichaelJB,
If you base yourselves in the Aosta Valley you could ski Pila, Courmayeur, La Thuile (linked to La Rosiere in France), Cervinia (plus Zermatt in Switzerland), Gressoney and a few other resorts on one lift ticket.

Or head for Austria where your choice of resorts on one ski pass (Salzburger Ski Pass, for example) for €500 or so would be as good as unlimited for the time you are there.

Car hire would be your best bet for the above, where accommodation and food and drink are very reasonably priced, although Switzerland (as an alternative) would lend itself to rail travel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you wanted the best trip possible you could link Three Valleys, Paradiski and Espace Killy. If you stayed down on the valley floor in Bourg St Maurice you could take the Funicular up to Paradiski and the other two areas are relatively short drives. Don't know if there are bus transfers up from Bourg to Val D'Isere or Meribel but it wouldn't surprise me if there were.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alti bus goes from BSM to Val, but getting to 3 V is a bit more hassle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the different ideas. This is a project for early 2013, so lot's of planning time ahead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Michael, a good cheaper option in France would be to ski the resorts in the Grande Galaxie. Pelvoux-Vallouise, Serre Chevalier, Montgenèvre, Sestrières, Les 2 Alpes, Alp d'Huez and La Grave. A nice mix of tiny, mid sized, high glacial and off piste skiing all on the one pass for a pretty amazing price! This year a season pass at Puy st Vincent cost 354euro (bought before 31/10) and it allows unlimited skiing in Puy and 3 days at each of the other resorts listed above. Public transport would be possible as there are buses but i think hiring a car would be a lot easier. A 6-14 day Puy pass allows one day in each of the other resorts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Michael,
I've done virtually nothing but rail-based Ski Safaris the last few seasons and I absolutely love them!
Partly why I helped put together the SkiRail Map of the Alps which shows how Alpine ski resorts are linked to the rail network (over 120 have their own station).
You can see what part of the map looks like here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information with more general info here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx?area=Ski_Rail_Map_of_the_Alps
Austria and Switzerland are best geared up for a rail safari as many more of their resorts have their own station. However, there are some great trips you can do in France especially around the Lake Geneva/Chamonix/St Gervais area and a fair few Italian resorts have stations, as do plenty of German ones.
It's a much nicer way to get around the mountains than by car - some of my favourite experiences on recent trips have actually been the train journeys between resorts.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Cheers.
Neil Neige
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+ 1, Only with 4 of ye it may actually be more economical to hire drive. for gear hore I think there's an on-line rental crowd that ye may be able to do a deal with to rent one place and drop off elsewhere, a lot of the shops are members of on-line associations and one of them is likely to offer this service. If I were ye, I'd buy boots when ye arrive that should do ye for the trip and onwards. It is a great way to see the Alps and even a few off days in towns like Annecy in France would be very very pleasant... enjoy!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

for gear hore

there are loads of them round here.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Laughing

Neil Neige, what do you do about accomodation? Book in advance or just turn up and go to the tourist office? I guess a reasonable budget is required?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red 27 (not sure how to make your name 'bold'!).
I usually try to book ahead by at least 3 days or so. It's a bit risky leaving it to the actual day.
No, it needn't be that expensive. If you avoid the big international resorts you can normally get your own room (bed and breakfast) in a 2 star hotel for about 50 Euros.
Examples include the brilliantly located Buffet de la Gare (right by the station) in Chateau D'Oex, and the wonderful, 16th century Weisses Kreuz (40 Euros for a single room) in the heart of Innsbruck's medieval city centre just a 10 minute walk from the funicular train to the local slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige, nice... and you research these places online while on the move, or have you developed a 'long list' before hand?

What to you travel with in terms of baggage?

Quote:
Buffet de la Gare (right by the station)
I can see that a good grasp of languages helps too wink

What you describe attracts me greatly, but even as a fairly intrepid traveller for work and play, I must admit I'm slightly daunted...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
What you describe attracts me greatly, but even as a fairly intrepid traveller for work and play, I must admit I'm slightly daunted...

Depending on how frequently you move from one resort to the next.

You obviously don't want to spend every evening on trains, nor valueable apres time researching lodging of the next stop.

I must say moving camp even every other day still doesn't appeal to me. I'd stay put for a bit longer than that. Other than that though, I doubt it'd be all that difficult to find a roof over a bed for a single traveller.

I did a bit of that a couple decades ago, before the internet age. I did it by first making a short list of "preferred" lodging before setting off. At home, I was able to do more extensive research. Even phoned perspective lodging to ask if they MAY have vacancy during the approximate period I expect to visit. Once I was close to the date of arrival, I would work my way down that short list till I end up with a booking. I remembered it being January, lodging wasn't that difficult at all.

Now, with internet everywhere, I can only guess how much easier it can be.

Having a flexible budget helps too. Some times you get lucky, other times you pay a bit more than you had to, it evens out in the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, Thanks that's helpful. snowHead

I guess the number of the local Tourist Office helps and as you say there is no shortage of B&B's esp in Austria...

Maybe next year, finally Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
Neil Neige, nice... and you research these places online while on the move, or have you developed a 'long list' before hand?
What to you travel with in terms of baggage?
Quote:
Buffet de la Gare (right by the station)
I can see that a good grasp of languages helps too wink

Red 27, I do a little research beforehand but not too much, and usually book up most accommodation in advance. I have wasted entire evenings in resorts before trying to find a hotel room.
Baggage wise, on last year's 6 day trip, I (and friend I went with) actually went with just hand luggage (a 30 litre rucksack) mainly to keep costs down, but would normally have a bigger bag.
Last year, we spent a few days in Lucerne and Innsbruck (in pre-booked hotels) and in-between had a day/night at Disentis (booked mid trip) and it all worked out fine.
My French is good but German is very patchy but just about managed to get by.
snow report
Neil Neige,

Quote:

SkiRail Map of the Alps which shows how Alpine ski resorts are linked to the rail network (over 120 have their own station).

Thanks for the info Neil. A colleague has just returned from the UK with my copy of the SkiRail Map (and Thomas Cooks Europe by Rail) so I can now do my homework.
latest report
MichaelJB wrote:
Neil Neige,

Quote:

SkiRail Map of the Alps which shows how Alpine ski resorts are linked to the rail network (over 120 have their own station).

Thanks for the info Neil. A colleague has just returned from the UK with my copy of the SkiRail Map (and Thomas Cooks Europe by Rail) so I can now do my homework.

Hi Michael - glad it was of use. I've just returned from a splendid 4 day rail-safari to the Lake Geneva area.
Had a couple of nights in Thollon (accessed via the boat across Lake Geneva), then a night in Vevey, next to Montreux (90 Euros for a twin room in the Riviera Lodge hostel), and a night in Leysin (80 Euros for a twin room in Ibis Budget).
Made good use of my 50% Swiss Rail discount card (probably saved most of what it cost me to buy), and everything worked out pretty well. Highlight was the train ride from Montreux up to Montbovan - forgotten just how amazing the view is as you zig-zag above Lake Geneva.
Neil
ski holidays
Quote:

Michael, a good cheaper option in France would be to ski the resorts in the Grande Galaxie. Pelvoux-Vallouise, Serre Chevalier, Montgenèvre, Sestrières, Les 2 Alpes, Alp d'Huez and La Grave

And, just across the way is the Milky Way/Via Lattea network of resorts in Italy/France (Claviere, Montgenèvre, Sauze d'Oulx, Sestriere, Pragelato etc)

That's a lot of skiing in one very small part of the world!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy