Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brit Skiers advised to "head for the US"

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
The near 1.1 million Britons who venture on to the slopes each year are being advised to head to North America if they want a pre-Christmas skiing break. Resorts from New England to California were already open last weekend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/04/klosters-ski-resort-snow-missing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Travelling apart, which will deter most, it's good advice, all things considered.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, Puzzled

Sad what " journalists" have tobstoop to now their phone taps have been turned off...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Each year only around 40,000 Britons make it over the Atlantic for their skiing. More than 400,000 go to France, while 250,000 opt for Austria and 150,000 plump for Italy. Despite the chancellor's best efforts to publicise the delights of Switzerland, only around 75,000 Britons ski in the country each year.

The change in those figures will be quite telling.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
davidof, Puzzled

Sad what " journalists" have tobstoop to now their phone taps have been turned off...

I want to know who has been telling them such things? It is not on the Foreign Office website after all. Maybe they read it on snowheads Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They have a point. And I'll be in Jackson Hole in 2 weeks. Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
davidof, Puzzled

I want to know who has been telling them such things? It is not on the Foreign Office website after all. Maybe they read it on snowheads Happy

Probably some marketing departments in US resorts, freebie snow time for the jornos good write up in return!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not rocket science is it? Europe doesn't always have massive pre Xmas snowfalls but then neither does everywhere in North America. Tahoe's had bot all to date due to a big high pressure blocking them. If I hadn't booked I would be reluctant to consider a Xmas or NY holiday in most of Europe now however due to the prospect of mixing it with crowds on the WROD.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davkt wrote:
Probably some marketing departments in US resorts, freebie snow time for the jornos good write up in return!

Yeah, that's it well spotted. Probably got nothing at all to do with the relative paucity of snow in one region and the relative abundance in the other............ wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen photos of Kirkwood's opening weekend and frankly it would have made Tosh at the Lecht blush, and if anyone knows Tosh.... Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The article was in yesterday's Observer.

The cited source was..........................................

..................................the SCGB rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Front page of Metro this morning "It's Snow-go on Europe's dry ski slopes", which punnage can be referred to the press complaints comission.
Arnie Wilson from Ski + Board quoted as "Unless there is snow before Christmas then there is going to be a crisis." Peter Tyler from Neilson quoted as saying "We're not panicking yet, and we have contingency plans to move people where they can ski" No word on whether meal arrangements for hot food/cold collations will be provided.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

Each year only around 40,000 Britons make it over the Atlantic for their skiing. More than 400,000 go to France, while 250,000 opt for Austria and 150,000 plump for Italy. Despite the chancellor's best efforts to publicise the delights of Switzerland, only around 75,000 Britons ski in the country each year.

The change in those figures will be quite telling.....

The figures will not change much.

There is a substantial price (Higher) difference from skiing in Europe to the USA.

Folk already cutting back will not wnat to start paying alot more than there used too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:

There is a substantial price (Higher) difference from skiing in Europe

Not always true. The High Street travel agent I visited couldn't find a half term family trip to a major Europeam resott for less (including passes and ski hire) than my best offer for a trip to Jackson Hole.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not always true, but commonly is:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/default/files/Family%20Ski%20Resort%20Report%202011.pdf
latest report
I'd debate that too, using RobW's figures from the post office, Fernie is roughly equivilant in price to Les menuires over all, and the variable costs involved scale in favour of the North American resort - and as you're going further afield you're perhaps more likely to stay 10 or 14 days rather than the standard 1 week. The changes in exchange rates mean that N.Am isn't the steal it used to be certainally, but in my experience it's always been reasonably comparable.

The ski school price they've included are for all day lessons, rather than the usual 3/4 hour am sessions, which'll usually include lunch. Oh and i've only ever paid that kind of money in n.am for a pint of Guiness slopeside in Whistler which was on import, local brews are much cheaper.
latest report
Good advice.

America rocks.
snow report
RobW, I'm gobsmacked by that data. I have never seen coffee on sale in the USA for £3 per cup and, having just checked the prices, Jackson's lift passes are no more expensive for a family than Slovenian prices, and equipment hire is 20% lower than cited, too. In my experience, it's dirt cheap to feed a family in the States, but the Post Office report finds otherwise.

Very strange.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy