Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

we are driving so what do we need?

Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone we are driving this year and was wandering if you could help with what we need/require to take with us. if you could help with what stuff we legally have to carry and also what is recommended. this would be kindly appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammy1846at4, http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html and especially http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can I recommend - a sense of humour - an ipod STACKED with music, podcasts and all the other bits, a mobile ipod charger..... Credit card (not a prepay or Visa debit) for the tolls.

Legal stuff - wot Bode Swiller, said. Although I have to say it takes up SOOO much room in a bloomin corsa!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
legally you should have hi viz vests and warning triangle in case of breakdown, spare set of bulbs for car, if you drive with glasses - spare set, headlight deflector patches - and snow chains. I drove for a number of years without winter tyres, but after one hairy experience I now use them as well and would recommend them if finances permit. A decent torch if you need to fit snow chains in dark - and a bin liner or something suitable to kneel on. If you have kids - DVD player and head phones for them to use so it doesn't drive you crazy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have assumed you are driving in France!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're going through Austria and/or Germany you need winter tyres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If going to France......

ONE Golden Rule when doing the drive.

If you need to fill the car up everyone goes to the loo,
if you need to stop everyone goes to the loo and fill the car up.

Do not stop unless the Golden Rule above applies!

Best for overnight stops in France arrive late, leave early, so clean, en suite and near motorway and cheap is what counts. http://www.hotel-bb.com/
Chains essential practice putting them on etc. Unless you go more than 1 week/season winter tyres outrageously expensive, but if you are going to change your tyres quite often worth looking at. Carrying chains is a legal requirement for all French resorts.

Telepeage again waste of money unless in France regularly OR going in school hols. Use a credit card in the automatic machines on toll plazas instead. If you decide to get one, easily done at www.saneftolling.co.uk

Hi Vis vest and triangle are legally required now, vest must be within reach of driver. (I got vests in poundshop!)

Common sense checks on car before you go. ALWAYS make sure your washer bottle is full and with stronger than usual mixture.

Ideally NO roof box adds £££ to fuel cost but needs to be compared to ski hire cost/convenience don’t forget noise factor sitting near a low whistle for 10 hours is a bit tiring. Your call!

Worth investing in DVD player for back seat passengers (if not built in!)

Cushions from home always used by my lot to get cosy!

Have driven overnight once never again! The €40 for some hours in a hotel is worth every penny in comparison!

The route, see this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090692&highlight=route#1090692

Moneysavers

Take a packed lunch picnic. Don’t buy motorway food!
Don’t fill up on the motorway unless mid journey there are supermarkets near the motorway!
Channel Tunnel frequent traveller tickets. Cost is for 5 basic return journeys, my Bruv in Law saves money with only 3 trips a year because peak dates are so expensive!
Tesco vouchers can give you a free crossing
Sometimes ferry is cheaper but the time spent on it you could be closer to the snow
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I carry a holdall which sits on top of all the luggage in the back of our estate car.
It contains
1) Warning Triangle
2) 1L Engine oil
3) 5L Concentrated screen wash
4) 1L Radiator fluid premixed
5) Tin of Radiator sealant ( pour in stops leaks in emergency )
6) Head Torch
7) Spare bulb kit
Cool Assortment of basic tools ( adjustable spanner small socket set and screwdrivers )
It weighs a ton but at least i know where everything is and can grab it quick.

I stuff flourescent vests X 2 behind the rear headrests, so Gendarme can see they are in the car ( legally must be in car not in boot)
Head torch and latex gloves in glove box, my wife has all the car documents and spare key PLUS European Breakdown dockets in her handbag.

We use Vredestein All season tyres all year round on a Mondeo Estate, they are marked M+S and also have the snowflake in the triangle so are legit for mountains.
Also carry a pair of Thule K-Summit snow chains, expensive but go on very quick.

Sat Nav, plus Road Atlas for France, Plus printed route from AA or similar.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timbobaggins, The holdall is a bit of a waste on the French Motorways where you have no choice but to be winched onto the back of a truck and taken to their depot in the middle of nowhere and pay the price. Best spend some hard earned on Euro breakdown cover. (Still have to pay for the ride of the motorway!)

The cars documents (and your driving licence and insurance) are essential.
We have been stopped twice at random checkpoints in service areas for document checks.

Printed route from viamichelin also gives static speed camera locations as well as other useful road info
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing,

Cheers for advice, if you read my post you will see i have euro breakdown cover, and i would rather have the bag with bits than not.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My advice is...
Carry all the basic variable legally required bits and bobs anyway. Even in the UK. Use them if necessary, too, not just carry them to keep the Gendarmes/Polizei happy.
Hi Viz, Warning Triangle, 1st Aid Kit, Spare Bulb Kit (* and screwdriver/tools to change them! *), etc.
Also...
stack of 50 and 20 and 10 eurocent coins, cos taking a leak is not free in mainland EU.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are travelling with children (especially if they are prone to carsickness) have at least one spare set of clothes, easily to hand in the car i.e: not in the roofbox or buried under everything else in the boot, and some basic cleaning materials (even old newspaper is better than the zero materials one transfer bus had to hand when a young member of our party threw up on a very windy road.....) It's not fun trying to a) change said child at the side of a mountain road and b) clean up the vehicle
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Headlight deflector patches not needed and a waste of money, you can just use duct/duck tape.
Position it over the bottom left hand quarter of your headlights to stop dazzling oncoming drivers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Harry Potter Audiobooks. Only way to keep everyone quiet for hours on end, and if you fall asleep and wake up you probably know the story so you can just pick it back up again. Kids and adults will enjoy them and it passes the time incredibly quickly for everyone.
ski holidays
Sounds like nonstop hassle.

Just fly.
latest report
Boredsurfing, Hopefully I'll never need them, but how does one go about calling the truck if needed? I wasn't aware of the requirement to be moved as have seen people changing tyres etc?
snow conditions
Whitegold, Flying sounds like more hassle to me
snow conditions
Boris, You walk along the very narrow hard shoulder to the nearest SOS phone, (they are every roughly 2 k) they then tell you to stay with your car but behind the barrier and wait. A service van arrives with flashy lights and parks up a Km behind you. The truck turns up within half an hour and winches you on board. 3 people sit in the truck cab anyone else sits in the car on the back of the truck! Sounds like more fun than it is. They then take you off at the nearest junction or exit gate and back to their depot. You can then ring the AA or whoever. etc etc etc. You are not allowed to work on your car. Lots of Gallic shrugs and we take you to the nearest dealer, cost, pay, etc etc.
The recovery off the motorway is at a set amount after that it is up to you / your insurer to negociate.
Best advice check you have vehicle repatriation cover. Inevitably you will breakdown Saturday afternoon when France is closed and you need to be back in the UK on Monday.
Did you know UK ferries do not take foot passengers after 9.00pm! and the Tunnel doesn't take foot passengers at all.
If you are insured with DogTag and have AA 5* breakdown insurance all this stuff is covered. Very Happy
BUT nothing compensates fot the buggeration factor or the stress. Plus IF you are lucky you may see your car again after 3 weeks!

Bear in mind I have been driving over for 30+ years (7/8 times a year for the last Cool and have only broken down twice Very Happy
So it's a pretty rare occurence.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing,ta - assume same applies for punctures?
latest report
As a couple have mentioned if you are driving through France 'wear' two fluorescent vests on your drivers and front passenger seats. You need to have two within the front of the car and the French police see British plates as easy pickings for fines in this regard, so having them on the seats and visible from all directions also sends a message to any local plod that your likely to know your stuff regarding all the local driving laws and customs.

Also - depending on where your going and where you've got the ferry to - a route that can be taken through Luxemburg is worth a small detour - petrol prices there are much cheaper than anywhere on the mainland.

As someone else mentioned agains stacks of coins for the toilets on the motorway are good - although remember most (if not all) 'tickets' for the bogs in German and Benelux service stations have a discount of often up to the price you pay in the cafe and/or shop - check the reverse.

If your travelling on the German Autobahn do remember that the police clamp down heavily on driving in the middle lane, and that its illegal to go past someone unless your doing 20kph and your maneuvre takes 40 seconds or less Wink
Certainly in most German speaking areas (not seen iit in France) if the motorway goes to a standstill the outside lane moves further to the left, middle lane moves to the right to allow the emergency services through, as hard shoulder lanes don't exist in a lot of places.

If your using a sat nav in Europe it's illegal in a few countries to have speed camera locating info on it, so deactivate that setting if you have one.

top tip for any smokers (or people looking to get cheap cigs for friends) using the ferries from the UK, the prices for a pack of 20 behind the bar onboard are cheaper than buying multipacks in the on board shop, or buying in any country (except maybe Lux) you'll be going through.
snow report
Wine gums Very Happy
snow conditions
If you have travel sick children, you may find that DVDs are not the best thing. Audio CDs we have found are useful as it keeps them concentrating on something else and looking up.

Also keep a stock of wet wipes, an old potty, anit bac gel handy should there be an up chuck in the car and for general clean ups. A roll of loo roll is ls also useful to keep in car

We have found that getting the kids to travel in crocs is useful as they can slip them off easily for comfort in car and back on to nip to loo etc.

Water bottles with the sports caps to keep everyone hydrated
snow conditions
Boris, I think the same will apply to punctures. Only time I had one I decided it was quicker to change it myself than phone, wait, get towed, get the wheel changed and pay through the nose for it. I found a lay-by (next to a phone!) and got on with it. 15 mins later on my way. Drove at 50mph to Chaumont (that was the scariest part with all the trucks going past) and bought a pair of new tyres (they wouldn't sell me one). Managed to get the one that was still in good nick into the boot and it now lives on a spare full size rim in place of the space saver.

I've experienced the bizarre experience of riding in my car on the back of the recovery truck when the mechanic arrived with two floozies in his cab. As boredsurfing says it's well over rated.
snow report
thanks for all the replies guys. regarding tolls can you pay cash? pre-book/pay? or can you use a visa direct debit card what is easiest, also i dont have acredit card either many thanks, driving to chamrousse france
snow conditions
hammy1846at4, you can pay cash, but it is approx 70 euros each way so a lot of cash to carry. Plus the cash manned booths have the longest queues

While I can understand the reasons for not having a CC you may find it easiest to use for tolls and any other emergencies which may arise
ski holidays
ok so can i pre pay them online before we go then? i dont have a credit card as i am only 20 and eldest person going is 25 and we dont have one and dont intend in getting one for obvious reasons
snow report
hammy1846at4, Tolls, for one trip a year credit/debit card in the slot, passenger side! is easiest. However have a look at www.saneftolling.co.uk if you want to drive through each toll without the faff. If you are going Calais > Alps there are 6/8 toll booths to pass through.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammy1846at4, there is no way to pre pay

I just ordered a tag via sanef and came within a few days
snow report
Or about 0-2 tolls if going to the other end of the Alps Wink
snow report
I find the queue for the toll a good place for the driver to have a bit of a stretch and find the sweet that got dropped down the side of the seat, have an argument about what CD to put on, look at the map and declare everyone else in the car useless at navigating, so there isn't a downside to using cash for us.
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
have an argument about what CD to put on, look at the map and declare everyone else in the car useless at navigating, so there isn't a downside to using cash for us.

OK, different .. but what do you get to say to the better half the rest of the time ? Confused
ski holidays
I had a great experience with French mechanics over the summer. Was driving back up from the south of France (on a Saturday PM) when my car decided to slowly choke me to death with diesel fumes. I pulled into a service area and phoned the AA, they told me to drive off the motorway so that they could send a mechanic.

Unfortunately, being Saturday afternoon, none of their contracted mechanics would come out, so they eventually found a random one, but told me I'd have to pay him and they would reimburse.

He turned up, couldn't fix it so towed me back to his garage where he had the required part. 10 mins later, all done and he wouldn't accept any money for anything, saying he didn't have to drive out of his way to find me because he was on his way back from another call, and the part was cheap anyway.

A real saint Very Happy
snow report
milzibkit, Wow, restores your faith in the French Very Happy
snow conditions
1. Taking a leak takes 50c in most of the german service stations, but you sometimes get a voucher to reclaim it off the price of a coffee in the shop.

2. I found autobahn petrol stations are a lot rarer than on uk motorways, certainly more than the 20miles normal on M6. So don't get too low on fuel.

3. If you stop overnight in the car as I do. Then don't stop on the calais side of Brussells. I did it and woke up at 7am to the biggest traffic jam in history in the Brussels rush hour. what would have taken 20min the night before took me 2h30m in the rush hour.
snow report
A jump start pack with built in compressor is worth every penny you'll pay for it and will charge off the cigarette lighter socket! A can of tyre weld can be a life saver too. A can or 5 of aerosol deicer. Fold up shovel. Packs of cable ties - ideal for reattaching a bumper if you snap a mount. Dependant on your car a Haynes manual so you know HOW to change all the bulbs plus have the requisite tools - try changing a modern sidelight bulb with frozen hands on a lot of cars and you will need to drop the front bumper and remove the unit to do it!
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Monium wrote:
have an argument about what CD to put on, look at the map and declare everyone else in the car useless at navigating, so there isn't a downside to using cash for us.

OK, different .. but what do you get to say to the better half the rest of the time ? Confused

He gets to tell me how wonderful I am Very Happy

Mrs M.
snow conditions
hammy1846at4, I think you actually only need one high-vis vest in France, legally, though it's highly desirable to have one for everyone in the car.

I'm pretty sure I've paid for toll charges with a debit card - wouldn't swear to it, but I can't see any logical reason why they wouldn't be accepted.

To everyone posting about prohibitive cost of toilets in Germany: The OP is driving to Chamrousse, so unless he takes a peculiar route he'll be able to pee free, the whole way!

Definitely have some kind of breakdown cover - AA 5* is good but quite pricey.

Stop every 2 hours; lots of road safety research shows that concentration starts to drop after 2 hours.

Enjoy your holiday! snowHead
snow conditions
A car. Confused
snow conditions
I am amazed and baffled by all of the kit folk are carrying. Maybe it' a bloke thing, but if i breakdown I'll get towed off, get the breakdown cover people to sort it and carry on when it's done - same as in the UK.

OK, I've never broken down abroad but i just could not be a*sed with the palaver of trying to fix stuff.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy