Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New or old ski dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One of the bindings on my current ski's bust on the last run of the day last season. As it's the second set of bindings that have been on them I've decided it's not wise to have a third set of holes. Anyway, we're off out in 3 weeks and belatedly I'm getting my back bottom in gear to sort out something else. At the minute I am skiing mostly with the kiddies and so doing 70% on piste with perhaps occasional foray off the groomed. It's likely to stay that way for a year or two. But essentially I'm looking for an all rounder. The current ski's are/were Rossignol Bandit's which I loved. I did a week on Movement Thunder's and they were too stiff for me. I am 196cm/6'4" and 85kgs/13.5st, advanced skier. Looking on ebay at the minute there are some Scott Aztecs, Volkl Mantra's and a couple of Rossignol B2's all listed to conclude in the next few days. Wondering if the Mantra's are too geared to the powder. Wondering about sticking with what I know and going for a B2. One of the B2's is 182cm, only slightly under what I currently ski, the other is 176cm which is 10cm difference. Any thoughts on the 3 options and whether it'd be any hardship taking the 176's?

The other option is to buy new. Thinking about trying a few options in resort and then trying to square out a deal. Going to Les Coches in Paradiski. Not a big town so maybe limited in options. Also are shops likely to have a good range available for hire over Christmas week?

Any thoughts appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you are ready to move on soon. You might look at the bandit 86, you might find some on offer. The mantra is more geared to off piste and a little stiff but a good ski. Not sure about the Aztecs I think they are similar to the b2’s similar size and not too stiff but I haven't tried them. I would go longer, but in truth you may not notice much difference.

If you just want something cheap I have a pair of green b3's for £50!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are fond of your Bandits you might like the Rossignol Experience 88. Great on piste, rock solid and good fun. You would be a 186 as they ski short due to rocker. Much more forgiving than the Mantra which isn't really for family skiing. But if you can wait until your trip or it would be better to test your shortlist out on proper snow. You'll probably pay a bit more but at least you will know they are right for you which will be better value in the long run. There is always jbob's B3's as a backup.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Scott Neo is quite a big crowd pleaser, and if you shop around you'll probably manage to get a deal. It's a 60/40 type ski, and it's not uber stiff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, thanks for the offer but not sure B3's will work for me!

Reading reviews of some of the new ski's like the Experience 88/98 does my head in. I think if I am going to buy new I am going to have test them out.

I agree the Mantra is probably not going to work for me right now.

May just make a bid on the B2's as a safe bet for this trip. The snow may be pants anyway the way things are shaping up!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis will always take a third drilling even if it means jiggling position a bit, might even get away with an existing set of holes if you go for the same binding. What I wouldn't particualrly recommend is replacing with another B2. Ski technology has moved on a bit since the ski was designed almost 10 years ago. Loads of good stuff in the easy skiing bracket you are looking at.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, regarding the third drilling, it's a bit of a tricky one. I'm sure it can be done, and it may be fine. But I'd worry about how about one of them snapping on me at the wrong time (through a weakened core).

Reading around the B2's are seen by many as boring as fish and chips on a Friday night sure enough. Whilst there is a portion of people who love em to bits. And not just pootlers. For me they are safe bet and will provide an interim solution for this season, until I get a chance to do some demoing. Anyway we'll see how I fair in ebay bidding over the next few days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:

Reading around the B2's are seen by many as boring as fish and chips on a Friday night sure enough. Whilst there is a portion of people who love em to bits. And not just pootlers. For me they are safe bet and will provide an interim solution for this season, until I get a chance to do some demoing. Anyway we'll see how I fair in ebay bidding over the next few days.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a very experienced ski guide last season. He was lamenting on how good the old Rossi B3 was with its soft forgiving tail. His all time favourite ski would you believe. So yeah, not just a 'punter' ski it would seem. I think the 'punter' ski tag came from the fact that they were extremely popular with rental shops. Plus they were very easy to ski by all accounts (although I've never used them myself)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy