Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris - Winter 11/12

Poster: A snowHead
Great photo Skola. What's the condition of the snow? Heard from some people in other resorts saying it was very heavy. Heading down to Oz on the 13th, so hopefully will have some powder then.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skola wrote:
6 inches or so yesterday and more due this week Smile

9am this morning:

lovely Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I havent skied a lot of powder but off/in between piste it was pretty awesome between ankle and knee deep

got my first proper powder turns pole planting etc felt amazing

on piste a little choppy they dont seem to piste all the time around here

Oz is one of my favorite places to ski but cant tell what the weather will be like - yet - http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez/6day/mid

we get a dump almost once a week so far the snowfall has been epic
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CheersSkola, looks like there's a dump today and a biggie on Thursday followed by a cold snap. Should be some great skiing from Friday onwards by the looks of it. You there for the season? In terms of pisting, you're right - they only piste during the night so can get a bit bumpy later in the day if there's fresh snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friends reporting heavy snow right down to Bourg today but upper lifts closed again, sounds like this weekend would be a good time to arrive!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ok i take back what i said - off the back of signal down towards huez the powder was very heavy not so nice

today it dumped down all day as forecast but now the wind has picked up its pretty wild out there - the power has cut out a couple of times

it should calm down by some point tomorrow - this weekend is set to be epic as weather websites claim between 25 and 55cm over today and tonight depending on which one you believe

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick D wrote:
, sounds like this weekend would be a good time to arrive!

Glad to hear it we arrive on Saturday Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyfirst hand news on the current conditions in ADH?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
one teleski open earlier

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/1114/#3701

risk will drop a notch tomorrow 3/4 so a lot more should open up later

the side roads from Huez and la Garde are closed due to avalanche risk, the vaujany road is blocked by an avalanche but the tunnel detour is open
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow

lots of it

i had to step UP onto a foot of snow to get out of the apartment this morning

i think we've had at least 40cm since yesterday - apparently the locals say this is the most snow in 20 years

its windy and snowing and im told barely any of the lifts are running

might venture out to see for myself
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok went out about lunch time - terrible weather, windy, little to no vis - only 3 beginner tows running in the whole resort.

but - sun came out and the signal drag opened at 330 - did one run and it was BEAUTIFUL - fresh tracks to be had everywhere. light floaty powder heaven. a massive queue formed so I only did one run.

the storm has passed and the next few days will be amazing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We havnt had a post here for a few days, Skola, davidof, whats the news ? I presume the cams showing 'Bluebird' means you
have been far to busy to post. Some info and pictures would be nice

wink .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, Looks good on the cams. Driving down to Oz tomorrow for a few days skiing and the bluebird days look forecast to continue with it getting a little colder. Heard from someone down there that Sarenne is in fantastic condition which is always a good sign. Hopefully it'll hold out until the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, Think it should last until the weekend for you! We skiied the Sarenne over Christmas in the best conditions I can remember but the stones were coming through again a couple of days later. Have a good trip, see you over there in a couple of weeks, hopefully the Combe De Loup etc. will have some snow on them by then.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Nick D, hope to see you then.
snow report
Nick D wrote:
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, the stones were coming through .

Wow after all that snow aswell!
ski holidays
But what was the skiing like richcarboy, ?
snow report
Renry, Apparently skiing is still good but pistes are becoming hard, sounds like the potential snowfall this weekend will be just in time for my arrival on Monday!
snow report
Just came back on Tuesday. Monday was probably the quietest I've seen the area. Spoke to some of the locals and they feel the credit crunch hitting them. Snow is still good in general, however went to Auris on Monday morning and it was very hard. Did the run down from Marmottes 2 to Marmottes 1 and there was literally 2 people on it - and the snow was great. Did the Bartavelles run from Dome des Rousse to the top of the Alpette and after letting everyone start, I had the whole run to myself. As usual, the snow seems to be best going over towards this side. The top runs are still good, but Sarenne is becoming worn. I think a lot of the fresh stuff that came last had blown away in high winds. Off piste was crust, so I pretty much avoided it.

Was supposed to be going down again on Saturday for a week with the family, but because of work we've shifted it to March after the school holidays. Have a good one Nick D and might see you later in the season. Say hello to them in the Potee - had a good session / singsong in there on Sunday night.

P.S. Looks like the Grotte de Yeti in Oz has gone out of business. Anyone know whats going on? Not that I'll miss it too much.
snow report
OK - went out today in the afternoon for a few hours but admittedly spent most of it in the park.

The weather is finally moving!

Cloudy spots early afternoon - this was the view from stage 2 of the DMC about 2pm:

it cleared up later in the day, but theres some clouds in the distance (view from signal about 4:30):

Will try and provide more frequent updates and pictures now Ive figured out a way to get pics off my phone

snowHead
latest report
thanks Skola, nice to see some fresh info'
snow report
Report from Oz (1350m). After rain earlier this morning theres been 2" of fresh snow so far and still coming down so hopefully more up top. Will be able to report in person on Tuesday morning when I expect to awake to loads of fresh powder! Bjorn_again_Daehlie, I think the whole Yeti group went out of business before the season started, no great loss unless you're into Euro Disco and paddling in over priced beer!
snow conditions
Oh man.

EPIC DAY!

mini trip report:

between 2 and 10 inches of fresh powder on a hard pack / slightly icy base. lovely snow but moderate wind and poor visibility. did a couple of runs down from DMC2 via le coulior and the park - boxes and small kickers still possible but pretty hairy when you cant see much so we decided to do a few runs through the trees on the side of signal.

i stacked it trying to jump through this gap and over that branch (you can see my ski there lol)

my mates having fun with in huez in the distance below

action shot

traversing back to town at the end of a run

these crazy dogs chase the bucket lifts and bark at them (even when they arent moving!)

snowfall since last night as of 8pm today (its a 33cl can same size as a can of coke)

and its still dumping!

snowHead
ski holidays
Just heard it's dumped 24" in 4 hours in Oz tonight and still coming down. Sounds like the lifts may be late opening tomorrow, hope it carries on as forecast then it can stop on Monday morning, absolutely itching to get out there!
snow report
Yeah its still coming down thick and fast. Id take another pic of my snow gauge but it will be innacurate in about an hour

Looks like about half a meter now yeah

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Cans or is that cams' snowHead are looking lovely thismorning (9am uk time) http://www.alpedhuez.com/hiver/en/986/webcams-360-.html

ps Skola, where is the nearest place to by crates of beer near to the altiport?
snow conditions
EPIC

POWDER

DAY!!!

Wow.

The storm passed and it was blue sky this morning - got the first bucket to the base of dmc/signal at 9 - watching people get first tracks on the way up the tow:

Shin deep on the main signal slope between and at the side of the pistes:

only the top was steep enough, after that if you werent on the piste you had to flatline to keep your speed:

so we went over the back left of signal and down through the trees towards huez villiage where it was steeper, but the route back from there is quite long - gondola to the bottom of the bucket, bucket to signal, then drag back up. instead we spent a while lapping the GDE SURE chair which meant a shorter run but much quicker return to the top:

There it was awesome - knee deep minimum, but still not quite steep enough to get many turns in.

So, we decided to hike:

followed the ridge along, then down and left next to the fence until we reached that white steep open bit. a shortish run but steep enough to bounce and float down. i fell at one point at the snow was up to my waist

snowHead snowHead snowHead

(sadly in the afternoon it clouded over and started to thaw a bit, tiny bit of rain at huez villiage level but fell as snow in ADH and above)

Man. My mates did a season at whistler last season and said that the powder was never that light and deep. Almost too much, but obviously not.
snow report
Renry, theres a supermarket in the berger complex at the opposite side from the chair lifts - probably in there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Skola, looks fantastic and many thanks for adding the photos. The final day of my last stay was just like that. Im hoping for more the same this year. Im now watchning the weather thread with great interest. 2 weeks and counting. snowHead
ski holidays
2 weeks? yeah I'd be happy with another massive dump by then Toofy Grin
snow report
Skola, is that bottom photo off the back and to the left of signal? How safe is that as far as off piste goes?
ski holidays
Renry, i'd guess its on the same side as signal - just quite a bit further to skiers right, above Huez. I'm sure skola will be along soon, but if it's where I'm thinking it would be above Huez, so they'd keep it fairly safe, and with all those trees too, my gut says go for it.
snow report
To be honest Im not sure how safe it is but they way they have planted the trees looks to be to protect as Renry said - Huez villiage. When we went down the open face at the end of the ridge we kept the thick trees immediately on skiers left with the idea that its more stable and we can cut into the trees if need, then at the bottom just after the road where it flatterns out join the piste.
snow conditions
There's a nice OP drop down to Villard on the opposite side of that crest, follow the drag down then a short walk up beyond it towards the pylon and drop right, gets tracked out pretty fast but you can then ride the chair back up to the back of Signal & go again. Either side isn't completely slide free historically so wouldn't do it without avvy gear.
latest report
Nick D, i think they planted all those trees to help stabilise the snow didn't they? Madeye-Smiley

Skola, done any of the big lines off the Pic Blanc yet? They should be very nice in a couple of days when the snow has stabilised
ski holidays
Arno, Yep plus they've done loads of work this summer to make Huez more accessible generally, guess it's the only place still expanding beds wise. Bad vis today apparently, obviously gonna be bluebird tomorrow morning & I'll be on first lift!
latest report
Arno, I dont generally go that high up as its cold/windy lol but saying that the thermometer outside the hotel says 14 degrees so a few people have headed up today to see if theres any nice powder left.
ski holidays
Skola,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Wink
snow report
Nick D wrote:
Arno,Bad vis today apparently, obviously gonna be bluebird tomorrow morning & I'll be on first lift!

Hmm...

i beg to differ Toofy Grin
latest report
meh- looks a bit busy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy