Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris - Winter 11/12

Poster: A snowHead
yeah, and who left all that snow on the hills? Been there for weeks, you'd have thought they'd have tidied it up by now.......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yesterday the conditions were perfect, some clouds today, big sun tomorrow and snow Friday ! Very Happy
Check the weather through the webcams : http://www.alpedhuez-granddomaine-ski.com/pdfinteract/PlanWebCam-AHGDS-interact.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh man

Another big dump on the way

But at the moment im house hunting

Sunday will be epic for anyone who can be out on the slopes.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just landed back from a fantastic week in Alpe d'huez. Conditions have been great and when we were picked upat 0500 this morning there was already a couple of cms of snow on the ground!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just returned after a great 'boys trip' week in ADH. Conditions on piste are as good as it gets at the moment and Friday nights snow and lower temperatures transformed some off piste which up to then had been generally crusty. Went down the Grand Sablat glacier on Thursday in sunshine but very variable snow, some nice light powder in the bowl at the very top then breakable crust and some icy conditions lower down but still a fun morning and excellent lunch at the auberge in Clavans. The Sarenne on Saturday morning had some nice light snow in the borders and the Col De Cluy was chopped up but good fun.

Back in 2 weeks, no sign of the snow letting up just yet Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any news from on the spot ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's amazing today ! http://www.alpedhuez-granddomaine-ski.com/pdfinteract/PlanWebCam-AHGDS-interact.pdf
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finally some of the forecasted snow has arrived.

Snowed from maybe 4am to 4pm. Went out at 10am - couple inches of pow on piste and at least half a foot deep off. Visibility was poor and a moderate wind. The wind meant there were some nice powder stashes off piste but couldnt enjoy it much due to bad vis. Took our trusted route off piste through the trees on signal about Huez village but the snow hadnt settled so it was shin deep light fluffy powder on a hard pack icy base. False sense of security when it looks like powder but its hard and bumpy underneath so after a couple runs called it a day.

Only one picture - Chamois run down from DMC 2 in an area sheltered by the cliff:

Should be better tomorrow once the snow settles. Forecast for sun and low wind in the morning snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that quite narrow and turns a bit icy if there's no fresh? Just had a memory jog (should that read flashback?) from about 1995 Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha yeah thats exactly the place.

Blubird powder today. Just got home. Mini TR and some pics later snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skola wrote:
Haha yeah thats exactly the place.

Blubird powder today. Just got home. Mini TR and some pics later snowHead

Rememver it will from last year - it was vitually blue sheeet ice with a slight dusting on top - horrid!
looks like it will be considerably nicer tomorrow

How's the Tunnel looking with all this fresh ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can anyone shed any light on this post

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86005&highlight=
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, Im afriad not.

So, yesterday - it was lovely. Perfection conditions - woke up to a clear sky and lots of fresh snow.

View of the trees above Huez on Signal from our balcony:

Went out about 9:30am (after 4 hours sleep) to find all the lifts up top were closed so we decided to stay low and check out OZ and Vajuany. A short hike along a ridge above the route down to OZ - the best off piste seems to be marked by these signs:

Tracks in the sun on aforementioned ridge:

Those turns were possibly the best of the season so far. The snow had settled and it was knee deep in this area but it felt bottomless, no bumps or rocks underneath just light floaty powder.

Plenty of fresh tracks to be had EVERYWHERE:

Cant remember where this was:

We reached Vajuany and the very end chair that rarely seems to run but gives access to some of the best off piste in the resort seemed to have just opened as some of the seats were still covered in snow. This was going to be a picture of all the untracked freshies until my snowboard mate zoomed past...

I fell somewhere here and lost a ski. Was a nightmare to find and when i eventually found it by stepping on it I held it up in the air in a moment of triumph.

The bottom of the same run:

The best lines in this area quickly became tracked out as more and more people realised what we were all up to so we decided to head back towards ADH and maybe check out signal/auris but I twisted my knee a touch doing a 'small' cliff drop which turned out to be at least 8 feet. Luckily my bindings are only on 5 coz my knees arent good but it feels a bit weak today so Im taking a few days off to job hunt. Realised it was time to head home and stopped on a green run down to Le Berger and enjoyed a snack and a rest at this bench:

By this time most of the low level areas were covered by this thick layer of cloud - couldnt spot the bottom of the marmottes chair:

Bittery cold on the chair from Berger to Eclose-Est - as this picture might indicate:

All in all an awesome day but my knee definately needs some rest. Looks pretty nice again today - not much more snow forecast, looking out the window its bright yet cloudy. Forecast tells that the temps will stay low this week with lots of sun (-10 to -15) but snow on the roofs is thawing and dropping everywhere so a wild guess that its above 0 here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some nice pics there, thanks for taking the time to put them up. Im sat with a G n T watching photos and Vids of my trip here 2 years ago. I cant wait now, im flying out Saturday so I stop looking at the snow frocast, its changing each time its updated but as I type its saying very cold and sunny most of next week with light winds and the chance of some light snow Monday & Tueday afternoon. Now that sounds about perfect to me. Im sure the forcast will have changed by the morning but it makes me feel good right now. Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bitterly cold with sunshine and light to moderate wind for the last few days and it seems seveal to come. Snow is holding up nicely but when the maximum temperature in an afternoon is -16 its pretty chilly!

more snow soon please snowHead
snow conditions
22cm forecast for Valentines day.

Im guessing the amount and date of the snowfall will change but looks like there is a significant snowfall due next week!
snow conditions
Skola wrote:
22cm forecast for Valentines day.

Im guessing the amount and date of the snowfall will change but looks like there is a significant snowfall due next week!

Brilliant! Very Happy I come out on Saturday, so maybe they'll be some blue bird days for a warm up then powder central thereafter!
latest report
So its our last day here in ADH, the first 3 days the snow was holding up great, High up on Tuesday was excelent but the wind that came in on Wednesday has removed what fresh snow there was. We witnessed some poor guy fall from near enough the top of tunnel to the first cliff yesterday. The moguls up there where wind blown into icy peaks and it was a nightmare (we gave it a miss after seeing what happend to him). He must have fell 200-300 metres like a rag doll, it was shocking to see. There was an ESF instructor on the piste at the time and a few others went to his aid. From what we could see he was knocked out cold on the way down but was sitting up after a while at the bottom. We didnt stay long enough to see if they had to Heli him away, but It would be a miracle if he wasnt.
For anyone comming out next week I hope some snow arrives for you, it very much needs it. I will post some pics when I get home.
snow conditions
Yeah, to be honest the tunnel isn't a run I enjoy much - icy moguls/flat/icy moguls/flat/flat then its over. its a challenge but la sarenne to me is more enjoyable and interesting ... in fact I haven't done the tunnel yet this season.
snow report
ADH almost unrecognisable yesterday compared to last Sunday when we were skiing knee-deep powder off the Petites Rousses! We managed to track down some good 'wind-buffed' snow in the Canyon de la Fare, though the top ridge is pretty sastrugi-fied and the entry is definitely quite narrow:

The lower canyon was in good shape though:

Everything off the back of Pic Blanc has been well worked by the wind - Combe du Loup did hold some nice smooth areas but quite rock'n'roll generally:

At 2.30-ish someone flicked a switch & the North wind kicked in again & it was properly cold on the way back to the main area - real frostnipped extremities weather!
snow conditions
You were lucky to get up the Pic du Lac Blanc, the cable car is now broken and out of action until repairs and an inspection
snow conditions
We managed to get up to Pic Blanc just twice last week, the first day up (Tuesday) the snow was the best we had all week. Both my mates tracked the sarenne on aiphone app and both clocked the run from top station to the restaurant at arround 6 miles, not the 10 that its reported to be. In all we had a fantastic week, the chalet Namika (in the altiport) was as nice as it was on our last stay two years ago and we also managed to cover loads of terrain. On one day we managed Highest point - lowest point - and both ends of the piste map in the same day.
Another suprising fact of that day was that the tracker app' had us skiing for only 2 hours and 2 minutes covering 31 miles of piste and we where out from 9.30am to last lift with about an hour for lunch.

It was bright and sunny for most of the time but fecking freezing, with temps ranging from -7 to -17c. Like I have said the snow was great untill the winds arrived on Tuesday pm, these continued into Wednesday fausing most of the lifts to remain closed for the best part of Wednesday. These winds stipped away any of the good snow that the cold temperatures had help to retain. Thursday and Friday remained sunny, very cold with very hard to icy snow.

So in all the first 3 days where great, but good vis' all week.

Snow is needed now tho'
snow report
Snow is needed indeed and its disappeared from the snow forecasts Evil or Very Mad

At least its gonna get a little warmer towards midweek.
snow report
Skola, Frikkin freezing today! We went up to the Sarenne via Marmottes and the snow was actually really good on piste, not expecting any off piste this week if the snow fails to arrive but tootling around on piste with the family is fine if a bit busy in places & sure beats work!
snow report
anyone of the locals know when the lifts close this year? I am getting itchy for a late season trip and the weekends of 14/15 or 28/29 April look most practical (dodgy knee permitting...)
snow report
I would say not to go on the closing weekend. I went a couple of years ago and the whole lift system shut down at around 2pm on the Sunday except for some of the resort lifts. Even the DMC closed. We did get a refund on our ticket for the last day. Christian Reverdel, the piste director, apologized but said they wanted to get everything shut down by Sunday evening. All the matting and safety netting removed etc so that the area was pretty much ready for the interseason.
latest report
davidof, good to know. would not be a good result if i was doing something from Vaujany and relying on lifts to get back!
latest report
Arno,

27th April 2012 is the planned date.

This was 24th April last year...........

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
davidof, good to know. would not be a good result if i was doing something from Vaujany and relying on lifts to get back!

I understand they want to start tidying things up but even the DMC stopped so we couldn't go as far as the 1ere troncon. The tourist board had assured us it would be open, as the piste director said "they should have asked me before putting out that kind of information".

Of course you can always have bad weather etc that can shut everything down so I guess it is just one of those things. I skied ADH last spring, it is a great ski area, and we will no doubt go up this spring, but not on closing weekend. Never again.

Val Thorens on closing day last year kept all the domain open until 5pm on closing Sunday.
snow report
skitow, this year is setting up to be slightly better than last wink
snow conditions
Arno,
Ever hopeful I will be there from 1st (is that a good day to start a holiday ?) Madeye-Smiley April to 10th April but I will have the mountain bike on standby, like last year Very Happy
snow conditions
skitow, I feel horrible looking at that first pic. Those will be sad days.
latest report
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but sad to hear of the death of a skier this week who fell 40 metres through rocks trying to find the entrance to Coulour Fleur, spotted by skiers on the Dome Des Rousses lift and recovered by helicopter along with a friend on a snowboard who survived. Incomprehensible that anyone would be attempting that line with the state of the OP at the moment, they were holidaymakers staying in Vaujany for the week, very very sad.
latest report
Temps up to around -3 this morning in Oz, cloudy and with some light snow blowing around, hopefully a bit more coming down higher up, now heading out to investigate!
snow conditions
Nick D, sad news. complex terrain up there
snow report
So........ light snow all day today & blowing up top, hasnt laid down much @ 1350, Maybe a little up top but just unpleasant really so giving it one last chance tomorrow then emigrating to Alpe Du Grand Serre & the less well known resorts mega thread!
latest report
Sunshine

Set to go up to 2-3 degrees during the day with FL at the summit

Low wind

Nice and pleasant but....snow please.

They pisted the tunnel the other day, somehow. Didnt take long for the moguls to reform.
snow report
Skola, I saw the piste basher going up there one afternoon last week while poling the traverse from the top of 2800, couldn't quite believe it, never seen it pisted before, apparently theres a new director of SATA who's trying some different ideas this season. I hear the snows deteriorating a bit? how are the queues now the Parisiens & Dutch have turned up?
snow report
Nick D,

Do you mean right up the main slope to the drop-offs at the tunnel exit ? I have skied for many years in Alpe d'Huez and have never seen that done either. To be honest I am not so sure it is a very good idea anyway, for me the whole attraction of the run is that it has not been pisted.
snow report
skitow, Yep right up under the entrance lip, looked like it was going to tip over!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy