Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bariloche- Cerro Catedral

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was skiing there last week- the snow was in good spring condition. I would advise anyone to go to Cerro Catedral rather than the better known Las Leñas. Catedral has about 100kms piste (therefore considerably more than Las Leñas) and has been upgrading its lifts consistently over the years (it plans 3 new ones for next year) whereas Las Leñas' last new lift was 15 years ago. The queues are awful there! In Cerro Catedral i think the worst queue I encountered was about 3 minutes.

The added bonus is that the scenery in Bariloche is breath-taking with views down to Lake Naheul Huapi which is a beuatiful national park and over to the 3400m Cerro Tronador volcano in the distance. Definitely a great place and relatively very economical, I think the whole day including pass, ski hire, hostel, food and transport cost me about 30 pounds.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris

Agree , breathtaking I was down there in 2001 . My pics

Did you stay downtown ?

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=80
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I took almost exactly the same photo!!! Yes I stayed in Bariloche itself, found a good hostel which cost 20 pesos a night (3.80 pounds!) Everything in Argentina is roughly half the price that you would have paid in 2001. I thought that the buses from downtown to Cerro Catedral were quite efficient and Bariloche iteself is a great town. I will definitely try to get back there in the next few years.

Did you get any further south as I have heard that there are some good, but very small, resorts near Ushuaia.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didnt go further South. The resorts are small & its a long way to go.

I wanted to go back there this season.

From Bariloche I took the spectacular 2 day lakes/bus trip to Puerto Monte in Chile (Def recommended). From Puerto Monte I took a quick $40 flight upto Conception (Termus de Chillan)

The Hotel I stayed in San Carlos provided a taxi (bothways) to the slopes everyday .

When I was there, the financial crisis was just kicking off. I remember in downtown BA there were huge queues of people outside the banks & fleets of security trucks parked outside all the banks as all the Argentinians were trying to withdraw there money from the banks . Prices were all in US$.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I am going to have to come back to Argentina in the next few years to explore the lakes more and then to hop across and do some of the Chilean skiing. They are having an amazing season here this year! Prices are now back in pesos in most places although more expensive shops and some hotels ask for dollars. Generally you can live here exceptionally cheaply at the moment. For example I´m in Buenos Aires at the moment and had a large lomo (fillet steak), salad and a coke for 15 pesos - 5.2 pesos to the pound.

Anyway Argentina is a fabulous place and I´d strongly recommend it to anyone else reading this thread!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy