Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are all European instructors rude, or just some?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
slikedges, I make no value judgment. As someone who set up a company in a very competitive sector myself from scratch - with no silver (or even cheap alloy) spoon involved - and has been "semi-retired" since my 38th birthday, I've got a rough idea what it takes wink

I'm interested in the cultural aspect, as well as the tentative theory (not mine) that some would-be skiers might be better off going to the likes of North America if they want to be 'babied' on the slopes! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm interested in the cultural aspect, as well as the tentative theory (not mine) that some would-be skiers might be better off going to the likes of North America if they want to be 'babied' on the slopes!

I'm sure that's true and many do it. Personally, I've never felt the service I've received in the Alps, even when below par, to be of any great concern. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, I would respectfully suggest that your analogy wrt ski instruction is misplaced. Staying with the cultural aspect, I would suggest that a better comparitive would be with the education styles in different countries. IMHO France is much more disciplined while the UK schooling style has become very 'laissez-faire'. I would actually put the US in between the two although closer to the UK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never had anything that could be called rudeness from any European instructor/guide. The worst that could be said as a client is that a couple have been maybe a little stand-off, largely if their English was only just passable - in which case a few sentences (or something approximating them) in my halting French or German has eased any difficultly. I have seen a bit of arrogance towards people other than their own clients though - but I guess that's just territory marking.

I wonder whether WTFH's problems have anything to do with the other side of the equation?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surely sking is all physics, chemistry and biology..
physics.. being weight, friction, gravity,potential and kinetic energy, wind resistance etc...
chemistry.. the chemical composition of what is strapped to your feet and its interaction with the ever changing surface it is on etc blah etc.
biology.. how well your body can refrain from er ,how shall we say, 'over relaxing' a certain area , when its senses are telling it that you are out of control and going to hit something big and hard!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I do believe that skiing is not an exact science - yes, it can be boiled down to some basics, but because of varying conditons, no two turns are ever identical - they may look it, but they would require different angles/pressures/etc to complete. We interact with snow, and snow doesn't understand what we are trying to do.

...and that is exactly the point that every instructor I've had has made - they teach you an armoury of techniques and try to help you when to use which one, but it's only with experience you work out which one works when for you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh and back on topic.. all the instructors i have met, either helping me or my kids, and all the guides i have met in france and austria have without exception, been helpful and good fun.. though im sure there are some wronguns out there .. i think like any of us doing their jobs, if your customers are enjoying it and up for a laugh then its much more fun for them.. if the customers are rude or their kids annoying then its a bit harder to smile.. imagine going from teaching say a great bunch of kids who are getting better and having fun to teaching a group of adults who have no real intrest or any enthutiasm.. or vice versa.. .. remember intructors have feelings too wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

oh and back on topic.. all the instructors i have met, either helping me or my kids, and all the guides i have met in france and austria have without exception, been helpful and good fun
Cant agree more CANV CANVINGTON, Our experiences have been the same. Only exception was one instuctor in LA Plagne who was soooo good looking that the 2 girlies were instantly in love, but us two blokies just wanted to scar him facially. Cant blame him for that though. Not only could they all teach, but they were lovely people.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, your suggestion of the misplacement of my analogy, is most graciously respectful and quite undeserved Very Happy wink . However, my comment was intended to be quite general, referring to people who provide services of any kind and anywhere, rather than being specifically directed at European ski instructors. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy