Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bump - final update - was Bruised heels - any advice for skiing in a couple of months please?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just found this thread and had a quick read through. MM, sorry to hear you're still having problems after all this time.

I was in Les Deux Alpes over New Year (uni ski trip) - a trip which almost ended before it even started for me due to a silly (read: drunken) injury I sustained before even reaching the resort... Basically I jumped from a height and landed heavily on my left heel giving me symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis.

Luckily for me, and hopefully reassuring for you, I was able to shred first lifts to last each day without much issue as my boots took most of the pressure off the inflamed PF. Walking around the resort, however, in non-ski boots was a serious difficulty but ibuprofen and alcohol numbed the pain.

Anyway, I've been back a week using anti-inflamatories, tubi-grips, stretching and riding my bike everywhere rather than walk.

Get into the habit of stretching the tendon whenever possible, get some anti-inflammatory drugs and I hope you recover quickly

Also, totally sympathise with this:

Megamum wrote:
It's a really odd thing - nothing tangible to point at no bruise or swelling or deformity to say 'that's why its hurting', I almost feel a fraud to say it hurts - but it DOES!!

It was frustrating before I got diagnosis as there was no visible evidence of bruising.
ski holidays
 alley lad
alley lad
Just read this thread as I'm a fellow sufferer, bruised my left heel out running on new years eve, in the morning working a good thirst up. Didn't hurt at first but could hardly walk later that night.
So after a couple of days when to see a Physiotherapist as panic was setting in due to injury getting no better and off to the slopes first week in Feb and she diagnosed the dreaded plantar fasciitis.
Current condition after 3 visits, walking normal, slight pain still, but one more visit next week and continuation of the stretches and rolling the cold beer can under the foot will see me right.

Sara, the Physio uses a laser to treat the condition as well as the usual techniques, I'm not saying this is the answer but it worked for me, and a lot less painless than a needle in the sole of the foot.

I don't know where you are located, but her practice is near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, there is a website www.phoenixphysioandlaser.com

I've no connection with Sara apart from being a very satisfied customer.

Get well soon, I did.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So I'm back from the docs. I went to see the sports injury doctor and she has decided to by-pass the route of sending to the local physio unit in my town and is referring me to the quote "larger consultant led physio unit in Braintree who have the ability to carry out the {dreaded} injection if necessary". Of course Braintree is 20 miles away so it's not ideal, but I guess I'll go if it is necessary to getting it sorted. She did say though that she couldn't improve on the advice given to me by my internet forum friends and GP's though which I guess was nice. She did say that I wasn't suffering from it due to a flat foot either - my arch is still pretty good from what she said. So now I guess I have to wait for the NHS.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back from visit to the physiotherapist this morning. She spottted my uneven gait, asked me to stand barefoot, pronounced that had an arch, made me stand on each foot in turn (can't think why), lay me down prodded foot and made me wince, rotated the offending ankle and now I have an exercise programme! She will shoot me if she catches me walking barefoot for even a stride or two, I must be careful on stairs (my room is two floors up in the house rolling eyes ), I can rub it with ibuprofen or volterol gel, I can take ibuprofen (though clearly taking into account gel use), I'm to stretch whenever I can, not do anything after even a short rest without mobilising the foot with stretches esp. in the morning, do the frozen bottle under the foot thing when I can etc. and I'm under threat of the needle on a return visit in 4 weeks if it doesn't fix in that time. Skullie

Errr..............where's that frozen bottle gone?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-04-12 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
B%gg*r the stairs are an awkward thing one at a time - it's so natural to step one after the other, yet she is right, when I forgot and stretched down it hurt!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Did you see this. Daily Mail I'm afraid but might be useful for future reference if needed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2130653/Me-operation-How-teaspoon-blood-banished-years-foot-pain.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk, Useful info I think, but I was wincing so much I stopped reading about 1/3rd the way down Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Yes, I did notice it still involved needles Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As above I have been limited in what I can do and exercise sorted out by the physio. At present I'd say it's hurting more than it did before Puzzled

Does anyone know if cycling would hurt it - some of the evenings are fine and I wonder if the exercise might help?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
Does anyone know if cycling would hurt it - some of the evenings are fine and I wonder if the exercise might help?

Personally I'd ask the physio what you can or can't do....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, That's kind of what I expected o be told. Maybe I'd better sit tight until the repeat visit in 3-4 weeks as I don't see her again until then.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Can you not ring her up??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't cycle in the finish and it's rained since.

I'm being good, I haven't walked without a training shoe on since I spoke to her, I've been doing the stretches esp. the morning ones, I've been leading with the good foot and taking the steps one at a time (damn nuisance though it is), I haven't worn my wellies - poly bags over my training shoes to sort out the animals, I've been doing ibuprofen and the icy bottle, but the damn thing still isn't getting any better. My physio reckons 78% of cases should get better and not need the injection (which may not work anyway Sad ) I don't want the injection ( I Really don't like needles and medical procedures generally (real phobia area)), but if it doesn't get better I might not have any option - not a happy bunny at the moment Sad I hope it starts getting better. I've only got another 2 weeks before she wants me back and will do it that day if things are not better Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, have you tried a night splint? Might be worth a go.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, night splint? can you explain more please - I'm ready to try anything. Straight? curved to the foot? around the ankle? made of? Many thanks.
ski holidays
Megamum, something like this http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/foot_care/plantar_fasciitis_splint/plantar-fasciitis-splint shop around for best price as it varies wildly for same product.

I used one for achilles tendonitis. It did really help but it was an absolute b***er to wear overnight, really hard to sleep with it on. It depends how desperate you are though Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, that's a gizmo and a half Shocked , but thanks for the recommendation, I'll see how cheap I can get one for. I guess it is to stop the foot falling open into a pointed position as you sleep.
snow report
Megamum, my understanding is that it keeps the tendon permanently stretched whilst it is worn, and stretching is the main focus of the physio for these conditions. I noticed a huge difference in about 3 nights, I then needed to sleep for three days to catch up on all that I had missed whilst wearing it though Laughing Good luck and remember you can decline the jab if you really want, it's your call, you can wait a bit longer if you want.
latest report
sarah, It sounds well worth investing in - many thanks Very Happy I really don't like needles, but I do want it to get better as well Puzzled !
snow conditions
Well, today is physio and bite the bullet day - to jab or not jab? It's still not right all the time, need to have a chat with her I think.
snow conditions
Phew - Physio says she won't give the needle yet as I am not bad enough - more icey bottle, stretches and blue spot heel cups. Apparently their occupational therepist says they cannot prescribe a foot brace as there are no studies that prove they would benefit the condition so I'll have to decide whether its worth £37.50 on one.
latest report
Megamum, did you ask the physio about cycling?
ski holidays
kitenski, Ahh...I remembered everything else - damn!
ski holidays
Megamum, They can be found cheaper than that, I dug around a bit and found that this is where I got mine from:
http://www.foothealthcare.com/shop/multicast_night_splint

There are some on eBay too.

It's called a night splint not a foot brace too just in case you're googling it. Glad to hear you escaped the jab then wink
latest report
sarah, thanks for that - I took a look and it is cheaper. However, I'm giving green superfeet a bash at the moment and they are working well so I'll keep the foot brace in reserve for the moment.

Back to the Physio again today. Told her about the agony I'd been in with my achilles whilst hill walking last week and about related problems in top of my feet, knees, sciatic nerve and historical back injury and the fact that the PF was no worse, but no better either. Her assessment was that amputation below the knees might be beneficial!

She was interested in the Green Superfeet (walking boots my physio would approve of thread in equipment and reviews board) and hadn't seen them before - they have made a huge difference for me and she is going to recommend them to someone she is seeing this afternoon and made a specific note about them - she especially liked the heel cup which stops the PF spreading out. I explained that there were lots of foot skills in the ski boot industry and that the suggestion had come from them and also told her about the bespoke footbeds that can also be made for ski boots and other shoes - again something she claimed not to know about.

We have agreed that I don't need the cortisone jab, so she offered me a so called lesser evil...................I think I have been very brave (for needle phobic me) and tried acupuncture for the PF and achilles. She did it there and then on the basis that I might not have come back for it if we had booked for it!! I think my BP probably went through the roof at the suggestion, and I wasn't very overboard about going through with it, but I did!!!! I think I had 4-5 needles and they stayed in for 5-10 minutes. She said whether I believed in it or not it often helped in these sorts of condition. So I wait and see. Apparently I will sleep well later and I am back in 2 weeks for some more if it helps. So how about that for trying something different!! I didn't think I had it in me!

P.S. kitenski, and I remembered to ask about cycling and the physio said it sounded an excellent idea! Very Happy
snow report
Back to the physio again yesterday. Different one this time. I got an explanation that this tendon can take a year to rebuild and that I am unlikely to benefit long term from a cortisone injection. Apparently my best route forwards is to continue with the stretches. I've been doing classic back of the leg hamstring stretches for some time, I've now been given eccentric stetching and basically told that getting better is up to me doing these and the trad. hamstring stretches 3 times each per day!! Apparently my Proprioception is better than he was expecting and better than average - apparently this is a good thing and means that my problem is most likely down to something within the body rather than how I am using it (at least I think this was what I understood). I was asked to stand on each foot and then close my eyes, and also to stand on each leg and touch my toe to each of the 4 points, front, back left and right, by what the physio said I made a good job of this. So that's me for the moment, no jab, but I must behave myself and do what I have been told.
ski holidays
As I had got so much help here I thought I would bump this and post a final update.

Well that year wasn't far out. I carried on mobilising and stretching the foot prior to standing each morning and religiously/slavishly, call it what you will, and wearing my decent Nike running shoes with superfeet green inners every minute of every day. Over the last 4-6 weeks I have finally discovered that I can run around the house with no shoes on and it doesn't hurt any more Very Happy It is like re-discovering the ability to walk, and I catch myself revelling in the thrill of pain free heels that can now feel what is under them as I am no longer in the thick running shoe soles. I am pretty sure the heel is completely cured Very Happy Now if I could only work out what regualrly sends shooting pains across the tendons and bones in the top of the foot just beyond the ankle I'd have pain free feet (I think the shooting pain is a legacy of when I twisted my ankle skiing a few years ago).

However, at least I finally have pain free heels!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy