Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
carroz, WTF?, really?, don't remember that happening before. You having me on?.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil, no not having you on, they shut it for lunch!! That often happens in lowish season it was on the information chalkboard at the bottom of a lift, can't remember which one, may have been sairon. I was also skiing morillon at lunchtime and it was shut....i used it at 2.30 as bergin red was rather nice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raining again in Samoen this morning and low viz.
Ski over to Flaine was fairly horrible, deep soft sugary snow with viz varying between low and none.
However up top at Flaine the rain had fallen as a considerable dump of fresh snow. The light came and went a bit but there was some great fun to be had between the pistes in the new snow. It was hardly powder but great fun nonetheless. We had a couple of hours off the left hand side of Lucifer that was fantastic.

The conditions in Flaine are really very good, in general the only area worth skiing, particularly after about 10.30. You might think everybody crammed in to one area would be hellish but the place is very quiet. No queues and fairly deserted pistes.

Samoen is a cracking place and the Grand Massif is well worth a visit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fifespud, be v careful between the pistes in flaine, in particular high up, there are lots of holes. Its near end of a good snow season so it should be ok, but if you went in summer you would have a bit of a shock as to what is underneath (or not for that matter) what you are skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, Bet Mr Igloo is not too chuffed with the lift being shut. We had a quick brew at the Chalet d'clair (?) at the top a noticed Mr Igloo (the bloke with glasses) speaking with somebody at the patrol post next door.

Very awkward in LC today, whilst snow was in reasonable state the visibility was on and off and it was still raining so we binned it early. Seems like more of the same tomorrow and rather risk similar conditions for a couple of runs we are cutting our losses and legging it home early (we were going home Friday anyway).

All the best to those who tough it out, looking forward to next season already.

Adieu.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rained again last night in Flaine at resort level and was still raining at 9.00 this am. Went over to Carroz early but snow very heavy. Back to Flaine late morning, some fresh powder at the top of the Tete de Saix but soon got slushy lower down. Flaine this afternoon, about 15 cm of fresh snow above about 1800m so spent the afternoon going up Desert Blanc (aka the White Pudding, apparently) and down the off piste between Faust and Lucifer, making fresh tracks each time. Nice skiing higher up but heavy towards the bottom. Poor visibility at the top.

Talking of lift closures, both Airon and Lanches were closed on Tuesday late morning, meaning that the only way back to Flaine was via Gentianes and therefore a long queue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Mason, airon and lanches were closed all day yesterday

I waxed skis today and went swimming....daughter refused point blank to go out in the rain this morning!! and by the time it stopped it was a bit too late.
so all this talk about fresh powder is not good......... Evil or Very Mad

It pouring with rain again down here in les carroz....more powder???
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm we were planning on a visit to Flaine tomorrow as I thought the snow might be better but maybe we would be better to stay in Avoriaz? We are 4 boarder.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It pouring with rain again down here in les carroz....more powder???

At 4pm at the bottom of the DMC it was 7C. Snow/rain level was about 1800m so your best bet is Flaine, but don't blame me if the freezing level goes higher!

Nadenoodlee, It's 21.40 French time and its p***ing down with rain at 1650m. Don't know what the temperature is outside but this is going to make the snow even heavier lower down. Could mean fresh powder higher up, but you'll have to take that risk if you come over. If you were thinking of accessing the GM via Samoens/Morillion then I'd certainly get over to the Flaine bowl sooner rather than later.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Mason wrote:
Desert Blanc (aka the White Pudding, apparently)

"White desert" actually, as in Sahara I mean. Pudding is "Dessert" in French i.e. with TWO s's. Anyway, enjoy what's left.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow very very soft, if you like soft moguls then its ace!!

Very top of dmc is ok, some fresh snow at top, also top of tete des saix has a bit of fresh, but its all very very soft and wet

still we enjoyed ourselves, bit busy compared to les carroz, in fact les carroz snow seemed better!!, but just because less people.

More rock and stones about, but snow depth still ok.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carroz wrote:
Fifespud, be v careful between the pistes in flaine, in particular high up, there are lots of holes. Its near end of a good snow season so it should be ok, but if you went in summer you would have a bit of a shock as to what is underneath (or not for that matter) what you are skiing.

Cheers Carroz. I know about the holes. We made sure to stick to slightly pre tracked areas. Plus had a good look at the pictures in the queue for the DMC. Incidentally - what does DMC stand for?

A fair dump last night and some good skiing to be found today.

Home tomorrow, all packed and currently in the v pleasant - Serac restaurant.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud, not sure what is actually stands for, but translated from a french site http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net

there are similar gondolas on val thorens and alp d'huez

DMC technology operates close to a conventional high speed gondola except that the cabins are hooked to a double carrying-hauling rope improving their wind resistance. The load distribution on double cable also increases the size of the cabins and thus the overall throughput of the device.

hope you enjoyed your meal, have a good trip home
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud, "Dual Mono Cable" (similar words in English). There are two continuous cables for stability and load capacity as carroz says.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing with a guide (Yann Westerkamp) yesterday in the Flaine bowl. Making fresh tracks off piste all day. Early on the snow up the top was in wonderful condition, I would guess there was about 15cm of fresh snow. Went under the rope at the top of the DMC and back onto the Mephisto Superiere piste at the point where it turns to the right and goes down and then up. Went down 3 of the gullies off the top, snow quite soft early on but getting heavy later. Dianond Noir was in good condition until it flattens out, where it was very heavy mid afternoon. Cloud came and went at the top all day.

I'm told that this weekend it is going to get colder. This morning at 1650m it is below freezing and there is a bit of cloud at the very top. Can't see the top of the DMC due to cloud. Sun just appearing at the top of the mountains with mostly clear sky so looks like it is going to be a fine day, but that probably means the temperatures will soften the snow very quickly. Last day today before driving back to London tomorrow. Mrs M has gone off to Annecy today to go paragliding. Anyone coming out this weekend should plan to start sking early each day to take best advantage of the conditions. It's been very quiet this week with only very short queues except when they decide to close crucial links (Airon/Lanches, eg). Sadly, this is the end of the season for me.
ski holidays
Went out early this morning (managed to drag daughter out of bed!) Snow hard packed, gradually softened through the morning, only skiied morillon, carroz and samoens. asChris Mason, mentions above seemed colder, and snow was better for it. Agile noir and other black from top of tete des saix were ok, if a bit marbly and hard (ish) moguls. Still very quiet...........but now raining!!
latest report
and still raining...and its a bit heavy and not very cold Sad
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Gers bowl was very good until about 2pm today... Cool

Chris Mason wrote:
Skiing with a guide (Yann Westerkamp) yesterday in the Flaine bowl.

Also skiing with Yann.
ski holidays
Very quiet and rather wet / snowy. snow was excellent, if rather soft.

snow level dropped during the morning, eventually on way home down timalets it was snowing half way down.

Quite a bit of new snow up the top of tete des saix, rather cold up there, probably because we were so damp by then!

Just hope it continues being this quiet Very Happy
latest report
Superb day, snowing all day, visibility a bit duff, but in the trees of les carroz and morillon not a problem. Still hardly any people, had some runs to ourselves! Had to stop at 3.30 as rather tired...........

snowing in village at the moment, and actually settling
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Monday Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Good snow, good visibility, lots of tracks, but still plenty of untracked if you look for it...

Maybe some more snow mid week... Should be a good last two weeks of the season Cool
snow report
as cran, states....brilliant day. spent most of it going up l'airon and gentiane lifts and doing the off piste from top tete des saix, especially off corbalanche and above l'airon lake, really fab powder in the morning, got a bit cruddy and heavy ish after 2.30. now a bit tired..i.e. very!!......daughter is sound asleep!!!

It is so quiet as well
snow conditions
Very weird day, has got very very warm, strong wind first thing this morning closed all the links, then they reopened a bit later. Lots of runs not groomed, esp in morillon, and quite a number closed now. Snow has vanished rather quickly in a number of places, timalet is very thin near the top now, blue down to molliets is a brown messon the steeper bit near the bridge.Tete des saix was fine, but really windy, so did not risk going to flaine, which i should think would be ok. Off piste was very heavy, so gave up on that.

Even quieter than yesterday, lots of people seem to have gone home.
latest report
 cran
cran
Yeah I decided against going over to Flaine today, was very windy up the top and I didn't want to get stuck if they shut the links...

Which is a shame as Flaine is where the decent snow is now, especially if you want off piste.

So wasn't the greatest day and was back home by 11am... but it should be snowing tonight so a couple of good days to look forward to Cool
snow report
cran, according to chamonix meteo snowline down to 1200m...and heavy snow in the morning.....so could be snow everywhere...... morillon and les carroz trees place to be in that...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
40cm of fresh snow in Flaine = webcams look good all the way down to 1100 m in Morillon. Travelling out for the long weekend with the poss of some basic intermediate skiing on the cards (due to injury) so I'm using the mojo. Anyone around for some basic pottering Sat morning? Embarassed
snow report
 cran
cran
Fresh snow, but visibility poor everywhere except Morillon this morning.

Stayed in Morillon and just skied under the Biollaires chair lift for a couple of hours. Nice fresh powder, hardly anyone else using this section as most were on the sairon piste or the other side of sairon, so there was still plenty of fresh snow left when I'd finished putting my tracks down Cool

Looking forwards to tomorrow if Flaine clears... The Gers bowl should be awesome! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
ascran, states....loads of snow, spent all morning using gron chair, off piste underneath (was a black, but now vanished trees next to it are good) and also in trees from parascend depart place. First up gondola so got loads of first tracks, very light snow first thing, It then cleared at about 12.30 and so up to tete des saix for some stuff off corbalanche, in the bowl near l'airon lake, it got a bit heavy so by 3 my legs were well and truely shot, could hardly ski down to molliets!!

Brilliant day!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

anyone got some new legs they can lend me???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, Ski-Mojo is the way forward! Laughing
snow report
Jivebaby, I am not quite in need of that much help yet....but counting.........

going back down timalets was interesting, skis basically just stopped!! it was very sticky.
snow conditions
any SH around for a beer Friday or Saturday in Samoens? Cool
snow conditions
not long been home from Morillon and a fab week skiing- this was only our second years ski holiday and we have skied at easter both times and no doubt will go at easter again next year, however we are thinking of going over this New Year (got the bug real bad!) but I was wondering what the snow coverage is usually like so early in the season- any advice please? should we leave it and go last minute?
latest report
 cran
cran
Quote:
we are thinking of going over this New Year (got the bug real bad!) but I was wondering what the snow coverage is usually like so early in the season- any advice please?

New Year = great snow, sometimes a bit cold, empty pistes, no lift queues... best time to go... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cran, you are naughty...................donzy3030, new year is very very busy, perhaps more so than half term, snow is usually ok, and was very very good this year, but may not be. Christmas week is better as far as numbers of people go, but again snow is not dependable. Morillon and les carroz now have lots of snow guns, but don't cover all, just main runs.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
carroz, Maybe a slight missunderstanding... This year it was busy between Christmas and New Year, but after that from 2nd Jan (which is what I thought donzy3030 meant by new year) it was very quiet...

donzy3030, Apologies if you meant between Christmas and New Year... It is busy just for that week, but the rest of January is not...
ski holidays
Thanks, Yeh I did wonder just then if cran's quote was a bit tongue in cheek!, I realise it'll be busy, I do mean the week between Xmas and New Year- unfortunately I have to go in school hols because of work, as do others in our group which is a real pain! I know no-one can predict what it'll be like snow-wise, but I am a bit concerned about booking so early on in the season
snow conditions
Snowing again in Flaine. Overcast couple of days, but it means the snow conditions are excellent, especially higher up. One of the best Easters we've has here. Kids really enjoyed the runs around the Jam Park (which was closed) yesterday, at least a foot of powder. Lovely and quiet too.
latest report
Its raining like hell in les carroz.....so hopefully lots of powder high up......... Very Happy
snow report
Excellent day, really really quiet, there seems to be no one here. Very good snow off piste, spent whole day in the trees near gron chair and further across. Snow got rather heavy, but still brilliant fun. Visibility was a bit duff, but in trees who cares!

Found a ski in the trees!!, I hit it, nearly up ended me!! handed it in to gron lifties. Anyone lost a atomic twin tip 181cm with marker squire bindings??

well thats it, end of season for us, and its been totally brilliant. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

back in 6 weeks for some walking and the road bike....climbing a few cols
snow report
 cran
cran
Morillon was good too, and empty...

I put 6 runs down under Biollaires and when I finished there were only 6 sets of tracks...

Even the piste on the way back down was quite good to ski and only got sticky the last few hundred meters.

Skied off a 5 ft drop at one point as visibility was down to about 1m and I wasn't quite where I thought I was, but luckily no one saw as it was too foggy... rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy