Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
donzy3030, We've skied Cascades the last 12 years, but in Feb, and this year it was superb, but no good telling you now of course. I agree with carroz - it'll be OK higher up but not towards the bottom. But if you ever go in the winter it's definitely worth doing if only to get away from the madding crowd......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there - I'm staying in Les Carroz from Thursday, any opinions on whether it is worth driving to Flaine every morning to get into that bowl straightaway, or is the ski over pretty decent still?

Thanks

Martin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mcloke, Why drive, you can ski there??? Really, no point getting the car out. The rest of the GM is as good as Flaine anyway - don;t miss out on it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah great, just was a bit worried the snow might be terrible on the way over or something - if its ok still, then skiing is preferable by far! Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you drive there, or just to Vernant chair, you will only have to buy a Flaine Pass instead of a full Grand massif pass, that will save you a vin chaud a day!
if you drove all the way in to Flaine, you could avoid Tourmaline, which is nice for 90% but gets narrow and busy. (despite being blue)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mr_big_ad, Tourmaline is fine when quiet... its only in Feb it gets really horrid. Any saving on the lift pass is minimal, and missing out on the prettiest parts of the GM would be silly - even if staying in Flaine... mcloke, trust me - no need to drive!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's been a red piste marked on the map for years called Aventurine that looks like it would cut off the narrow part of Tourmaline, but I've never seen it open, or even marked on the ground. Anyone know anything about it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jwfrancis, I've been going to Flaine on and off for 25 years, I had never seen it in existance, let alone open, until february this year.

Probably gone by now though as it is pure south facing with no shade at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was shut when I was there 3rd to the 10th, as it had big patches of dirt.

It was also marked as being left upisted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, I hadn't thought about it being south facing as it's in a similar position to Tourmaline, but that side of the bowl does go brown very quickly in the sun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've popped up to Flaine a few times this season, from end Jan to just a couple of weeks ago - only saw Aventurine open at end Jan. It was definitely closed a couple of weeks ago. And yes, marked as unpisted as well - it doesn't cut out much of Tourmaline anyway, the piste map is slightly deceptive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that little red does face directly into the sun at midday, i saw it closed then open then closed, without fresh snow!
they need to put a roof on it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw it open for the first time this season... never done it though... Tourmaline is daunting for beginners or those of a nervous disposition in February... apart from that its OK if a little busy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx, I'm not even sure where it is. Is it left off Tourmaline just before it narrows and goes under the chairlift for the last but one time?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i think it comes off 75% down the steepest bit
snow report
jwfrancis, yes and then it sort of corkscrews down, even when the snow was super good this season its was usually hard and bumpy (with added rocks and grass bits!) I never bother just keep going down the blue.....only 2 days to go Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Yes that small red was closed when I went up over it yesterday, but that was no problem as there was almost nobodody on the main piste.
The links are all open and it seems to me that plenty of snow is there to keep it all connected.
The local information is saying that they garauntee connection until 22nd April, and judging by the snow depth on these I'd say they have a good chance.
I finished last year the weekend of the 23rd last year and it was almost closed, so this year it is a big improvement on snow depth.
we are currently having the run of the place with very few people here and everything available so,n good times.
The usual proviso at this time of year that off piste is hard and crusty, but the pistes are well maitained and in exellent oreder for our enjoyment.
In short I can't believe how good it is for this time of year, so if you haven't got a place already it's still well worth coming.
I'm here till the 7th April so will try to post info for those taht are coming soon.
Staying In Morillon from 31st so if any other snowheads are around then let us know, I'm out here with family with two skiing kids.
snow report
ski3, Thanks for your update, sounds great, me and Mrs Basil travelling out this Friday for an, hopefully, early lift Saturday.
snow report
Spoke to someone tonight who is in Morillon, and she said they have extended the season by a week as still plenty of snow- we are also there this weekend- Happy Days!- off to pack,look out for us- big crowd-Janner accents!
ski holidays
Me too Basil and Donzy.

3 dads and 6 kids in Samoen. You'll find us in the pizzeria.
snow report
We're going out on 7th April for a week as we have for the past 8 years or so. Sounds like the snow conditions will be better than the last couple of years. Last year was dire. Only ourselves to blame as we go so late, but prefer the late skiing to the crowds at half-term (got kids).
snow report
My missus is out in Flaine at the moment on her girlie skiing hold (I went a few weeks back to Tignes on the dads and lads tour). Snow is excellent in Flaine but non existant / poor in Les Carroz. However, the temps this week have been ridiculously high, virtually the same as the UK at sea level, so I suspect that next week will be pretty average. The only saving grace was the cold snap in February that stopped the snow melting earlier in the season.
snow report
wadgebeast wrote:
Snow is excellent in Flaine but non existant / poor in Les Carroz. However, the temps this week have been ridiculously high, virtually the same as the UK at sea level,

so what has the mate in the village i was talking to tonight been skiing on today in les carroz? yes its hot and rather soft but apart from the base of combe there is plenty of snow. Its nearly April and les carroz is at 1140m.

wadgebeast wrote:
so I suspect that next week will be pretty average. The only saving grace was the cold snap in February that stopped the snow melting earlier in the season.

I would suggest your deductions are pretty suspect..............slush skiing is brilliant fun, and not average at all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Webcams for all areas still showing good levels for this time of year.
ski holidays
jwfrancis wrote:
fixx, I'm not even sure where it is. Is it left off Tourmaline just before it narrows and goes under the chairlift for the last but one time?

As mr_big_ad said - pretty near the bottom of the steepest bit. It's not obviously marked - normally just a couple of yellow and black stripy poles crossed over and some orange tape to mark it! It's pretty narrow too - it's just never looked appealing to me. If you like moguls (and mud and rocks currently) it might be of interest, but there are better options on Flaine (I had great fun on Lucifer a couple of weeks ago, after deciding I'm rubbish at moguls, so going down a really long run made entirely of moguls, with no escape route other than off-piste, would be the best approach...!)

I'm actually getting jealous at reading this thread - I thought I was getting a little bored of Flaine, but I really want to go back now! Had great fun last time, including some lovely quiet trips down Mephisto superieure and Mephisto right back down to the centre, ahhhh bliss. No more ski-buses running now from Geneva though for day trips Sad
snow report
Damn, wish I could get out there but my family have other plans.......
latest report
wadgebeast,

Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about. I skied Les Carroz yesterday and LC and Flaine today. LC is fine right down to the Gondola from both directions. In fact it is much better than fine. Even the afternoon slush is not too bad compared with what you might normally expect at this time of year.
latest report
I skied mainly Les-Carroz on wednesday and there was almost nothing closed at all so I honestly can't see how it got a report of "virtually none left!
As expected there are the usual conditions associated with higher temps but all the pistes are covered, the local club were racing slalom on the Timalets.
The area in my opinion has stacked snow really well to best manage the known "hotspots" were the sun gets to it all day to keep everything connected and there are not many people using it so the bashers are able to get it back into very good shape each night.
Morillion was also all open with some really good skiing there. At the top as the sun softened it up in the afternoon we had a great time on the in between pistes areas, and also checked out Marvel; bit sticky but ok to the bottom. Again nobody really on it. Marmottes (heavily into the sun) was fine as well and we did that at about 16:00hr, alos Chamois leading down to it usually suffers but again it was a great ski.
Samoen also ok, bit slushy at 1600 station but runs to it are really nice to ski. Also skied the chamois black as it warmed up and had a really good time on there with my son learning bumps (he's 8, so indoctrination maybe appropriate but he can't get enough of them).
Overall the day temps are high but with clear skies the night temps are low enough to chill it all out again allowing the bashers to keep it in very good shape for this time of year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied mainly Les-Carroz on wednesday and there was almost nothing closed at all so I honestly can't see how it got a report of "virtually none left!
As expected there are the usual conditions associated with higher temps but all the pistes are covered, the local club were racing slalom on the Timalets.
The area in my opinion has stacked snow really well to best manage the known "hotspots" were the sun gets to it all day to keep everything connected and there are not many people using it so the bashers are able to get it back into very good shape each night.
Morillion was also all open with some really good skiing there. At the top as the sun softened it up in the afternoon we had a great time on the in between pistes areas, and also checked out Marvel; bit sticky but ok to the bottom. Again nobody really on it. Marmottes (heavily into the sun) was fine as well and we did that at about 16:00hr, alos Chamois leading down to it usually suffers but again it was a great ski.
Samoen also ok, bit slushy at 1600 station but runs to it are really nice to ski. Also skied the chamois black as it warmed up and had a really good time on there with my son learning bumps (he's 8, so indoctrination maybe appropriate but he can't get enough of them).
Overall the day temps are high but with clear skies the night temps are low enough to chill it all out again allowing the bashers to keep it in very good shape for this time of year.
snow conditions
just got here....its a bit warm...10 degrees in the village

oh well..............will see what its like tomorrow
snow report
A very warm slush fest!!, sorry not got anytime for more detail. Snow very wet but holding up well.
snow conditions
As carroz, says so we went over to Flaine today which was better high up.

Stopped at Le Blanchot for a coffee and went to the loo, mine and Mrs B's skis left in sight of our table with poles sticking up. On our return my skis were gone. I had noticed while having a coffee that the poles were no longer sticking up but thought they had fallen over as I could still (I thought) see my skis.

Obviously mildly fed-up as they were brand new Rossi Experience 88's and had only been on them for two days, immediately considering an insurance claim I had a quick glance round and bug me there they were about 15m away, the poles too. There is no way I had mistaken where I had put them, they had been moved deliberately. I suspect whoever it was moved them until the victim departed and intending to make off with them after a short while.

I am not paranoid but do like to think I am aware of my surroundings but got caught out this time, in future I will change my habits.

Perhaps a message to us all.

More of the same(ish) tomorrow.
snow report
No chance someone picked them up by mistake then dumped them when they realised?
ski holidays
very enjoyable day, snow is very soft, and there are a few bare patches appearing here and there, but there does not seem to be many people here, had some runs virtually to ourselves. Didn't go to flaine so maybe they are all there??

Rather warm all day, and my boots got wet toes....never done that before!!
snow report
carroz, Flaine very quiet as well. I am amazed at how well the pistes are holding up. Spent yesterday going down to Carroz, Morillion and Samoens, all before about 11.30. Even Marvel was in good condition for the time of year. Quite heavy rain last night but stopped by day break. Not quite sure where the freezing level was or is but there is the possibility of fresh powder right up the top. Much colder this morning and rumour has it that the freezing level is going to fall as the day progresses. Let's hope that's right!

Basil, A salutary lesson for us all, you can never be too careful, especially when you have new skis. If I leave my skis within easy distance of a roaad or someewhere where they can easily be carried to a road I lock them up - Mrs M thinks I'm a bit paranoid, but your tale proves my point that there is always someone who can't be trusted.
snow conditions
really really warm today and snow is rather wet. Still did not go to flaine. Only one lift open to tete des saix as morillon has shut lanches

had excellent fun on some new rocker skis....oh do they ski slush well.

snow is holding up well, but quite a few brown patches and the blue down to molliets lift was a mess at midday...lots of brown bare bits

still very empty
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
6.45pm It raining....lots in the village...and warm...Flaine may have snow....but down here it will do a lot of damage considering how soft it was today.
ski holidays
Raining in Flaine as well. Last night's rain fell as snow up the top but probably only 10 cm max. Still, was able to make some very shallow fresh tracks. Jazz week in Fline so went to Sucre Sale bar for a beer and to listen to 3 saxophinists and a keyboards player - very good. Rain drove us away so got the navette back to Montsoleil. Drinking a very good Mersault at the moment sp please excuse the typing!
snow report
We were up at Flaine today for a couple of hours. Not too bad at very top if out of the cloud but very soft and heavy at the mid-bottom and Mrs B had a bit of bother so we packed in early and went for a drive over to Les Gets for a short bimble, I don't know it well but it seems a bit grim there. Tipping down in the valley near Arache as I type so expecting some severe damage or wizard powder tomorrow.

Yesterday was eventful though. Those that know l'arete will know how awkward it can be when the conditions are as they are. I encountered a nervous skier just past the bottleneck about 1/2 way down. She caught an edge and off she went over the left hand edge, lucky I saw her really as she was well below the track edge almost under a tree. Fortunately she was not injured and I climbed down and helped her up. Think she was not French, perhaps Germanic, any way she was well shaken but made it down OK, fair play to her. Mrs B was a way behind me and could not understand why I had stopped as she could not see the fallen skier. So having done my good deed for the day we headed for L'igloo only to discover the Bergin chair lift was out of order. Was it back up today or will we have to approach via Marvel?.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
snow conditions
Basil, They shut bergin at lunchtime 12.30 to 1.30!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy