Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Painful feet

Poster: A snowHead
Royal wrote:
I tell you what, I'd pay anything to get rid of the pain....

IMO forget EB's, S&R et al. After ill fitting boots from both EB's & S&R I got Rusty's tip re asking about the ramp angles & delta angles of Epic (in fact it might have been from Rusty?) & neither of the people I saw at the stores could give me a answer.

You obviously have problem feet & as far as I know none of the high street stores/ski shops are biomechanically qualified & nor do they have Profeet's stance analysis equipment.

The correct work required for me wasn't diagnosed by either store & they successfully diagnosed Deb's back & hip problem which has a considerable adverse affect on her weight distribution which wasn't spotted by EB's. I'm now totally pain free & Deb's new boots have transformed her skiing.

Boots are the single most important bit of kit you'll have so they must be perfect, not just ok or tolerable. So it's a day out to London, so what. You can get cheap deals on the train etc. Spending a few extra quid to get your boots right is well well worth it, especially when compared to the overall cost of skiing.

Profeet's boots are competively priced (mine were cheaper than in EB's), their custom insoles are the same price as everyone else's (£45-50). They charge about £20/25 to do a health check on your existing boots plus the cost of any work, which is also competively priced, ie about £10 to punch a boot out.

Phone them & book an appt for mid/end Oct when their boot lab opens.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well had some conformables done today at e/b's and the boots deffo fit better than they did b4.

And going up the lift.... yep it still hurts !

One thing the fitter said to me today which could be true is the aching feeling im getting could be because im using the muscles in my feet on the way down and on the way up they are relaxed which is when they start to hurt.

I was very concious about relaxing my feet as much as possible going back up the slope which actually helped relieve the pain, but today I got the pain in both feet!

I'll probably go back tomorrow and give them another go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Royal, heel lifts ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
they were conformable footbeds with something stuck to the bottom to make my feet straight and level. Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get them to try heel lifts under the insoles as well, I've had the conformable insoles as well but they still hurt without the heel lifts, they look like little wedges, they don't cost much but they're definately worth a try
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
will do Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Royal, I get very similar symptoms. That does not mean that it's the same problem!

I found some relief in the arms of...no, sorry, wrong forum.

I found some relief by getting vacuum foamed cork Superfeet insoles. Might be worth a try.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Royal,
When you do your boots up the front foot clip should barely exert any pressure on the foot at all if any - are you tightening the front clip too much? Hope the footbeds are asuccess, I have never had painful or cold feet since investing in them. I even have a pair of old footbeds in my welly boots and can work all day outside in the winter in them with toasty toes
DGOrf, do your little wedges go at the side, in which case they are postings for inverted or everted heel bones, or at the back in which case they are a straight heel lift? A heel lift I wiould think will increase the forefoot load and might not be so good for forefoot pain in Royal's case

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 2-09-05 9:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yeah the front clip (i think you mean the lower one) is just about tight enough to stop it coming undone.

Might go again today and see how i do?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good luck! The trouble is it costs a lot to get a weeks equivalent of skiing in at MK t oreally break the boots in. Bit hot for clomping round at home in them too...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and you get funny looks from the neighbours sunbathing in the back garden..... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Royal, at least you're getting plenty of "snow" time in...

I forgot to mention that I had these symptoms even with Conformable insoles. Also, I find that on a full day starting with boots clips very loose and tightening gradually over the morning tends to stop it happening. You may find that if you were skiing a full day that the problem vanishes - whereas an hour or two in a dome isn't long enough.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lets hope so!

right.... Im off to ski !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Nicholas, straight heel lift, on flat feet the pressure coming into the underside of the arch from a boot is what causes the pain (and it is very very painful from personal experience) by lifting the heel the balence is altered slightly, this puts the pressure points under the heel and the ball of the foot, actualy giving better control of the ski, a better angle in the boot and most importantly not transfering any load into the underside of the arch.

By the way this trick was taught to me by a very experienced proffesional boot fitter in Switzerland, by that I mean he only fitted boots he wasn't a regular salesman
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf wrote:
...actualy giving better control of the ski, a better angle in the boot and most importantly not transfering any load into the underside of the arch...

Only in certain circumstances!
It may also put someone too far forward in their skis (depending on ramp angle) - so I wouldn't go around telling everyone to put in heel lifts.

(I await the tirade of comments on how wrong I am)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, no I agree it doesn't suit everyone, but it does seem to work for flat feet
snow conditions
well i did another 2 hours today, still hurt but not half as much as yesterday...

Might just wait a while and see how it develops...

mind you i.... i borrowed some top of the range dynastar's from ellis brighams to ski with, which helped soften the pain rolling eyes
ski holidays
D G Orf, The guys who did my superfeet tried heel lifts below the conformables first. It did help but not enough. Didn't notice any functional difference in longitudinal balance though.
latest report
another 2 hours at xscape today saw no pain whatso ever, makes me wonder what I was whinging about !

Mind you, there was plenty of snow covering the poma snowflex which might have helped.
ski holidays
Royal, i have had very similar problems after at last buying my own boots from s+r they recommended superfeet which i now have and made little difference and yes i have flatish feet so i'm told.have skied two weeks in my boots but having read these posts i am glad i informed s+r of the problem and they have agreed to try and sort it out.
latest report
ive realised not that the feeling i get is from cramp i just need to release the clips to let the blood back into my feet.

the footbeds were a big help too, although since i got some RX8's i could do with some stiffer boots !
ski holidays
Sounds like you need it. Are you clipping down to the last adjustment, or does it just hurt with them closed? Twisted Evil
snow report
when i first put them on im clipping to about mid way which feels right

as i start to ski my feet must swell a bit so i just loosen them a notch which must let the blood back into my feet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy