Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lange RX 100 flex too high?

davidmt83
davidmt83
Hi,

I've recently bought a pair of a Lange RX 100 LVs, custom shell and liners. I've been skiing twice, a week each time, and would say I'm fairly okay. Based on the definitions here - http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html - I'd be a 'Level 6 - Early Intermediate': "I can ski most red runs when the conditions are good and may have tried blacks. I like going fairly fast, but struggle when it gets bumpy, steeper, icy, or the snow gets deep."

My only concern with these boots is the 100 flex. I know it can be reduced down to 80 however the fitter advised given my minimal calf flex it's likely the heel would raise if I make this adjustment. In the meantime stretch the calf muscle he recommends!

What do people reckon to the flex? Too stiff? Just about right? Too advanced a boot? My very narrow feet really limits my choice. I think as I get better the flex will be less of an issue but for now just wondered what people thought.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
with limited flexion and a soft boot you have no resistance to push against before you run out of range of motion at the ankle, try taking one of the bolts out (top one first) and see how it reacts, a heel lift into the boot and one bolt out may work very well, but every skier is different, i certainly don't think it is too advanced based on what you have described above reasons for selecting this boot (i am guessing that i may have sold it to you ) are

1 narrow fit :narrow feet go best in narrow lower volume boots
2 upright stance : to not use up the range of motion that you do have
3 100 flex : will give you some resistance to push against yet is not too stiff

the problem is that boot manufacturers rate their boots as beginner, intermediate, advance and expert, they don't think about the last width or the stance when they classify them, it is purely marketing and often leads people to be concerned that they have a boot too advanced for the skiing.... yes keep stretching the calf it is the best single thing you can do for your skiing if you have limited flexion

if we did sell you the boot and you are concerned then please get in touch and we will look at things for you
snow report
 davidmt83
davidmt83
Blush You did indeed sell me the boots and after a little reading since then I was only slightly concerned; nothing to worry about though.

I really did appreciate your time today and I certainly learnt a lot; to be honest I didn't want to bother you further with emails and questions - I didn't realise how much you contributed here though Wink

I'm not sure I understand the sentence -
Quote:
a heel lift into the boot and one bolt out may work very well
- I though the heel lifting wasn't a good thing?

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like CEM has you pretty well sorted- always easier to soften a boot than stiffen it and my feeling is that the Lange ratings tend to overstate a bit compared to some other makers.

The only thing that I might add is that with only 2 weeks under your belt, you will still likely benefit from lessons- why don't you ask your next instructor their opinion. Without seeing you ski, the rest of us are really just guessing.
ski holidays
 davidmt83
davidmt83
MEfree30 wrote:
The only thing that I might add is that with only 2 weeks under your belt, you will still likely benefit from lessons- why don't you ask your next instructor their opinion.

Yep, those two weeks were half day lessons / half day skiing and I'll likely have a couple more weeks of half day lessons.

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidmt83, what we don't want is the heel to lift, adding a "heel lift" is not a bad thing, at this stage i wouldn't do anything other than go for a ski, as your calf muscles stretch a little you will get more motion in terms of flex, if you are still running out of range of motion then adding a heel lift will "open" the ankle joint a little and give you a few degrees more available range

i know you haven't booked yet but when you do start a thread about ski schools /instructors in that resort, someone on here will know who the best person to have lessons with in the resort is...... technique is one thing that no boot fitter can account for, so long as you stay forward and "on top" of your skis all will be good, only when you get thrown into the back seat will problems emerge

well worth having a couple of lessons with someone before you go to resort or even just a bit of a ski to test things out, we can make adjustments if required
latest report
 davidmt83
davidmt83
Thanks, CEM - not offence intended.

My misunderstanding with the heel lift, I see what you're saying now.

Yeah I learnt the benefits of keeping the hips forward and the weight in the front part of the feet, knees forward and shins resting on front part of the boot.

Currently organising MK or somewhere similar now to test them out - very excited!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy