Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fun parks and airbags...

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used one of the airbag jumps in one of the fun parks? Any thoughts on risk of injury or practial experience of injury or otherwise?

Only ask as I've often gone past them (one in the Verdons park in Courchevel 1850 as an example) and always fancied a go but my body is getting old and is less receptive to injury these days (but strangely more receptive of alcohol damage).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-12-11 9:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
used one last season in 3 valleys... much less risk than smacking your head of a rock.

first time you are wary. after that everything is cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
airbags are good fun...not really typical of real life kickers as they tend to be steeper and nmore narrow, but good fun none the less.

the only injuries or cringe moments i've ever seen is when someone is too hesitent and just creaps off the kicker and falls short of the bag!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats the point? A jump without having to land it is just stylish falling. I can do that at home.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways, I think the answer to that is to get the technique right without the fear of breaking anything!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes but thats what practice is for, learn small then scale up. Nobody ever hurt themselves doing a trick in the air, it's the hard bit at the end when you've come up about about 10' short and about 90 degrees off and face meets floor
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it difficult to learn inverts and corks "small"....landing on your head hurts, be it from 10ft or 40ft.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lots of fun but have seen the odd injury, primarily over-keen people doing backflips landing on their heads or attempting to spin too early (read - skiing off the kicker at angle and therefore missing the bag Shocked )

Should be pretty hard to hurt yourself with a straight jump and once you're used to it you can start getting more adventurous. I send kids over it all the time and (as above) the main risk there is they check too much speed and land/fall between kicker and bag!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting lost in the bag forever whilst trying to get out,

Other than that very little risk and super fun
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^
what he said, good fun but still can hurt, did an eager backflip too early off one because i had shaman's on and thought the tips might slow me down too much Smile knocked myself out for 1-2 secs landing on my head, not ideal but better then getting it wrong on the snow like that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Making sure the bag isn't covered in melted snow before you jump is a good idea!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just don't go mad and too fast on your first try. My 52 year old Surgeon mate did below in Verbier last Jan 2011

http://youtube.com/v/2nzMRTWXzyo
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I Keep on reading the thread title as 'Fun Bags' and just can't get past that...... Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milestaylor, Looks like the bag's in the wrong place!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
milestaylor, perfect dismount! no flailing about trying to get off the bag and skillfully removed his skis at the same time.
latest report
With some friends in Serre this Jan - and they both went for it - I decided to be the cameraman Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/yPgyRpFCBQU
ski holidays
Looking at trying the airbag out in Les Arcs if its there in Jan.. Might be a silly question but... Do you have to pay to use them??

Currently getting the practice in with the Southern Freestyle club at Bracknell dry slope on Sunday mornings Wink
snow conditions
These look ace, never seen one before and have always chickened out of bigger jumps. Would love a go on one.
ski holidays
steven0123, the one in La Plagne was 3€ a pop, or 15€ for 10 goes IIRC. I'd guess most are similar.
snow conditions
cheers bobmcstuff, Smile
snow report
Yeah they are great fun. I was at the EOSB a couple of years ago telling another snowhead that you cannot hurt yourself on a airbag and first time he went he managed to knee himself in the face (and cut his nose on his goggles). I did feel like a bit of a fool.

Your skis can come flying off (if you catch your skis on the lip of the jump) and hit you like a boomerang - so a helmet is a very good idea.

But overall they are pretty safe.
latest report
One in Serre was free I seem to recall, though not 100% - and the people that ran it had the helmets - hence my mate wearing a black one and then a white one as we went there before and then after lunch...........
snow conditions
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2597/7/77/509951130/n509951130_2722571_477875.jpg

that was my first ever attempt at a back flip in Les Deux Alpes a couple of years back, didn't hurt one bit. Like has been said already, once you get the "balls" to try it you realise it doesn't hut so you can try whatever you like after
snow report
I've never done a major jump (did one about 10" high last year but hardly counts) but Im deff hittin the one in Les Arcs in Feb - cant wait...but will go slowly the first few times NehNeh
ski holidays
The one in Tignes is free. It was great fun though I found it hard to keep my board from flicking up. I guess it had something to do with the height of the kicker.
latest report
Quote:

Might be a silly question but... Do you have to pay to use them??

Not a silly question at all. There was one in Les Saisies last year - the fact that you had to pay to use it was the only thing stopping me from perfecting my back flip. wink
ski holidays
It is free in Les Arcs.
snow report
Using an airbag is basically saying you're scared and not very good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids thought they were great fun - they took a lesson (with Claude I think) in VT on the family bash and he let them use it. Kids were 8 and 11 at the time.

They've asked me if they can use it without an instructor, i.e. when they ski with me and I've never really known whether A) yes, anyone can? and B) do you have to pay extra to use them (same enquiry as above), if so where would you get the pass from. C) are you allowed to use them without twintips?
ski holidays
Megamum, Any skis can be used on them

Verbier's airbag is free, other resorts charge I am sure there is a thread in that Free v Chagred airbags.

The one in the Swatch park in verbier is easy to get the speed very wrong on.!!!!!

Also a number of the fridges have Airbag nights.
snow report
swskier wrote:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2597/7/77/509951130/n509951130_2722571_477875.jpg

that was my first ever attempt at a back flip in Les Deux Alpes a couple of years back, didn't hurt one bit. Like has been said already, once you get the "balls" to try it you realise it doesn't hut so you can try whatever you like after

Good skills sliding inverted down a lift cable... you the man Very Happy
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

That's one way of looking at it.. Alternatively you could view it as an option to allow you to check that you are able to perform a new trick in a safer environment before taking it to something with a solid landing.. Even the pros use foam pits and trampolines to work on new moves...

Christopher wrote:
It is free in Les Arcs.

Fingers crossed its still free in Les Arcs this season. Thanks Christopher! Smile
snow conditions
steven0123 wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

That's one way of looking at it.. Alternatively you could view it as an option to allow you to check that you are able to perform a new trick in a safer environment before taking it to something with a solid landing.. Even the pros use foam pits and trampolines to work on new moves...

Christopher wrote:
It is free in Les Arcs.

Fingers crossed its still free in Les Arcs this season. Thanks Christopher! Smile

shaun whites foam pit last year off his private half pipe was amazing!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy