Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comparison of french resorts. Advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads,

I am in charge of booking a ski holiday for a bunch of 5 lads (late january time). We have been skiing in austria and switzerland in previous years, last year we went to Les arcs and where really impressed. We are all of a decent standard, strong intermediates will have a bash at anything but not too bothered about off piste. We do like a drink in the evening but not hugely worried about how lively it is.

I would like to get some opinions on the cheaper resorts in France such as Les deux alpes, alpe d'huez, flaine, how do these compare with each other and against somewhere like les arcs, i would be quite happy to go back there. I have looked on websites to get an idea but it is always nice to get a real opinion instead of sales orientated views.

Thanks alot for any sort of help you can give.

Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomo54, out of those 4 I'd defo advise going back to Les Arcs. Did you explore the whole paradiski area last year?

Comparable options in France might be the 3 valleys but all the resorts seem slightly flawed to me. Mottaret is best in many ways but very quiet. expensive too

Portes du Soleil is another option... again the resorts are not great though there are more lower price options
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure that Flaine is any cheaper than les Arcs. Certainly not a lot in it, I'd say. Plenty of skiing in both.

You could go to Chamonix - the skiing is not so joined up, but there's a terrific variety and the scenery is spectacular. Lively town, too, can't be compared to anywhere else in France.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Though I really rate Les Arcs I think Tignes has better skiing and Les Menuires more piste. Give either of these a go.

John
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say les deux alpes and flaine were on a par with les arcs, cost wise. There's certainly plenty of skiing in flaine / the grandmassif, maybe not quite as much in l2a (although I've never been there). Alpe d'Huez is another to consider, but if you;re looking to keep costs right down, look at Les Sybelles - not many english tour ops go there though, rocketski is the only one that comes to mind
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Tomo54,

We're based in La Plagne which is the other side of Paradiski from Les Arcs so might suit? Different resort but the ski area that you like . . .

You can find more info by clicking the link in my tag line - or drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Heather
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tomo54, I'd second the portes du soleil thought, particularly Morzine or Avoriaz...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Grand Massif (Flaine etc) has plenty of skiing (more km of pisted runs than Les Deux Alpes, 265 to 225km), really good terrain for intermediates and advanced skiers but quite gash night life.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Argentiere / Chamonix;
2. Val Thorens;
3. Tignes.

All are better than Les Arcs and can be done at broadly comparable cost.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you very much for your speedy replies it really good to get some opinions.

Chamonix sounds good but it's pretty pricey and I think it would be better to go there when we can ski off piste a little better.

Portes du soleil also looks good but can't seem to find any cheap deals there.

I found a good deal for L2a and with the lift pass we can go to alpe d'huez twice which is decent. Would anyone strongly advise against this? Or there are equally cheapish deals to les arcs, la plagne, flaine and meribel.

Arghh making decisions about ski deals is so difficult! I don't want to make the wrong decision. Very Happy Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
L2A isn't exactly a pretty resort, but I doubt that's what is important to you as a group. It has a fair few lively pubs and one or two clubs. Also has some good skiing for intermediates. I liked skiing from the top of the glacier all the way down to the village level when I was there, takes some time to get all the way down and there are some great runs.

I think it probably fits what you're after quite well, but then so would a lot of other places!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tomo54, have a look at UCPA - plenty of holidays in January in Chamonix, Les Arcs, Flaine, La Plagne, etc etc for under £600 including full board, ski pass, equipment, tuition.

http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/datesandprices.aspx

There are quite a lot of comments (all positive IIRC) about UCPA scattered throughout Snowheads. You need to find a week with the right level of instruction available. Ranges from beginner to Very Good Indeed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tomo54 wrote:
Thank you very much for your speedy replies it really good to get some opinions.

Chamonix sounds good but it's pretty pricey and I think it would be better to go there when we can ski off piste a little better.

Portes du soleil also looks good but can't seem to find any cheap deals there.

I found a good deal for L2a and with the lift pass we can go to alpe d'huez twice which is decent. Would anyone strongly advise against this? Or there are equally cheapish deals to les arcs, la plagne, flaine and meribel.

Arghh making decisions about ski deals is so difficult! I don't want to make the wrong decision. Very Happy Puzzled

Chamonix and Argentiere have plenty of cheap skiing. The towns are full of pikeys living on boiled snow and lentils every season.

Chamonix has more on-piste skiing than Flaine.

Les Deux Alpes is a good second choice.

Alpe d'Huez is gash. Zero atmosphere and looks like the moon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Alpe d'Huez is gash.... and looks like the moon.

In contrast we thought the scenery there was stunning and the skiing great! It's all about opinions I suppose...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love Chamonix but I think if you are not into off piste skiing and not that bothered on night life - leave it for this year.

With the current snow forecast and the base(?) already laid, I'd go to Tignes if I were ye- its a great resort for strong intermediates, its relatively snow sure and it doesn't cost the earth. Good luck!!
snow report
Another vote for Tignes snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy