Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

There have been a lot of posts re insurance. My research says that, if you ski a lot and want to ski off piste without a guide, SCGB is the only option, which is the only reason why I'm a member. I dislike SCGB, since it seems to be a platform to sell Fresh Tracks holidays, and has long been useless for honest appraisals of ski resorts - the magazine is nothing but 'advertorials' which are biased, sales and marketing blurb with little truth and facts and no negatives.

I am new to Snowheads. Is it not possible for Snowheads to create ski/snowboarding insurance via a respectable underwriter? Snowheads could earn moderate commission, which could be ploughed back into Snowheads.

It could be as simple as:

Bronze = Up to 2 weeks of skiing, on piste, off piste with a guide
Silver = Up to 4 weeks of skiing, on piste, off piste with a guide
Gold = Unlimited skiing in a season, on piste, and off piste without a guide

Am I mad? If not, this would mean that I (and others) would not be forced to be a SCGB member just so that I have access to appropriate insurance, and Snowheads would make some money.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree. That does make sense. Maybe you should broke the deal? Someone needs to take ownership of it and make it happen.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowcard offers 1 week's offpiste cover for £30.
Or 4 weeks' (on an annual policy) for £75.

This assuming a £250 excess and no cover for baggage/cancellation etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been a BMC man for some years, however a quick look at snowcard and it seems to cover all off piste activities including ski mountaineering, anybody have experiences good or bad?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many insurance companies offer off-piste with a guide. I seem to remember from previous threads that some others ( other than SCGB) do do off piste without a guide, but I cannot remember details. jbob, you do not say if yours does.
I have SCGB insurance - or, rather. I shall do again when my doctor signs me off as fit to ski again.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The BMC covers off piste, touring etc no guide required. Snowcard also does at the appropriate level of cover. Just wondered if they had a good reputation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austrian Alpine club, £40 a year, covers everything
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For my requirement of 2 ski trips of 2 weeks in Europe Direct Travel at £45.99 per trip is cheaper than £121.00 for Multi trip with Snowcard. However if I was go on a summer holiday (probally not ) then Snowcard would be cheaper. The obvious answer is to to have 3 ski trips of 2 weeks which would make Snowcard much cheaper. Will talk to the wife.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Snowcard also does at the appropriate level of cover. Just wondered if they had a good reputation.

as far as I'm concerned, yes. We used them for years in the past, only stopped because they wouldn't offer longer trip lengths. They do now, and they look like the best bet for us once again. We had two claims in the years we were with them, both dealt with very well. No complaints.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevev, When you say "covers everything", I've had a look at their website and they emphasize that it's limited to mountain rescue and repatriation insurance and isn't intended to be a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance, but I guess that a combination of the two might be a solution to my dilemma.

pam w, I need an annual policy that will cover self and wifey for around 8 weeks of skiing per year. Snowcard seems expensive compared with the Natwest Gold Advantage account inclusive insurance that other snowHead s have recommended. (Not worried about off-piste without a guide and not expecting to exceed 31 days per trip)

Insurance companies frequently seem to be inexplicably coy about how many days per year of winter sports are covered; it's often necessary to slog through the small print of the policy (only to find that winter sports cover is limited to a measly 10 or 17 days p.a. total). As previously mentioned in another thread, Direct Travel have now climbed on the 17 day annual limit bandwagon, after years of providing unlimited cover, subject to each skiing trip not exceeding 17 days in duration. I thought I'd cracked it with "Click4Quote" who allow an annual 35 days of winter sports, but it's beginning to look as if that may be too restrictive for my comfort. That Natwest option is looking more attractive by the minute.

Does anyone know what's happened to the Snowheads insurance policy that was promised in an earlier thread?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

"Click4Quote" who allow an annual 35 days of winter sports

Correction: 45 days (which is actually very good compared with most)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowsport England have their own travel insurance policy http://www.snowsportenglandinsurance.com/- worth a look. Enjoy the snow!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
as we were not getting what we wanted weve set up our own scheme, it may be worth a look, and it covers things like race training and racing, and off piste without a guide. There are a variety of levels of cover. We compared snowcard and it was cheaper. have a look at www.avonskiclub.co.uk click on club advantages and bottom of that page click on the banner. If you put avonski10 in the promotions box youll get a 10% discount. The club make a SMALL and i mean small commission. Hope this doesnt contravene advertising rules, we are a CASC not for profit race club Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iskar, That seems much more expensive than Snowcard? (For a single male 35-45)

Snowcard for (near enough the same levels of cover as your insurance):
31 Days, £1,000 baggage, £500 equipment (yours is only £250), £2,000 cancellation, £100 excess comes out at:

"Max adventure (back country, e.g. Vallée Blanche)" £105
"Adventure (piste and slack country)" £93

Avonskiclub £125 (including "pro" upgrade for unaccompanied off piste)..

And for anybody doing less skiing, Direct Travel will insure you for a week for £11.25. Bargain. Annual policy apparently limited to 17 days skiing per annum.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Everybody

If some Grande Fromage from SnowHeads thinks that what I wrote is sensible, I'd be happy to try to get something going...I just don't want to reinvent a wheel which may already exist, and my interest only works if SnowHeads makes a few quid out of it...I'd just need to be given some good steers about what people actually want, then I'd approach a few people I know in insurance....taking the best bits from a number of policies and merging them into one/two/three types solely for Snowheads members.

In case anyone thinks I'm on the make...I'm not...I'd do it for love.

So...Les Grandes Fromages de SnowHeads...if any of you read this...let me know whether this is worth progressing.
snow report
ibendzeeknees, Le Grand Fromage (there is only one) has been working on snowHeads insurance for the past year or so..... why not PM him?
snow report
Sorry...I'm almost a virgin on here...how would I do that...I don't even know his/her name!
snow report
ibendzeeknees, it's admin. Click "send/read messages" in the top right hand corner of the screen and follow the instructions
snow conditions
Dudes, I've been doing some research into ski/travel insurance for the upcoming 14/15 season and found a company called alpha travel at http://www.alphatravelinsurance.co.uk who offer single, multi-trip (for upto 31 days per trip) and long stay cover with various ski options including off-piste without a guide. Compared to other providers mentioned in this thread the prices were very competitive so I thought I would share.
latest report
ERV offer off-piste cover (with out guide) under their Pro policy

http://www.erv.co.uk/quality-service/policy-information/erv-winter-sports-insurance-policy-documents/#.VIIvZcnqoWk
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy