Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno or Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This old chestnut again - I know - sorry!!

Anyway, narrowed next year down to the above. Livigno or Sella Ronda. Where should I go? I am an early intermediate - good on blues and getting better on reds. Should I go to Livigno or Sella Ronda? If Sella Ronda - which resort?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, much depends on the snow. Livigno is pretty high and therefore more snow-sure. If you can wait for a late availability or late booking if going DIY, then if the snow in the area is good the Sella Ronda is going to give you stunning views and great touring style skiing. Years since I was there but Corvarra was a pretty good base for the S.R.
Livingo is duty free but unless you are buying booze by the gallon bottle for 'home' consumption you won't find bar prices significantly cheaper than elsewhere in N. Italy.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-08-05 14:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with kuwait_ian, to the extent that I know the Sella Ronda. Haven't skied Livigno (which, as Ian says, is more reliable for snow) but you'll definitely get more bang for your bucks in the Dolomites in terms of number of lifts and huge scale of ski terrain.

If you're going low season, maybe place your bets when the snow pattern is clear.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Livigno, and although I cannot offer a comparison because I haven't been to the Sella Ronda, the former is an intermediates paradise.

Remember that you have to factor in the duty free status of Livigno; it was cheap for everything from food to new gear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been too Livigno. Excellent spot, but I'd also love to visit Sella Ronda, just can't get there from N.I.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to both. Overall I would go for Sella Ronda. I stayed at Canazei, but I have heard Colfosco(sp?) is a good base with good local skiing also.
One point on Livigno - the coach transfer from the airport takes 5 hours Shocked (they do have a snack and comfort stop halfway)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been to Livigno, but haven't ever found the write-ups anywhere particularly appetising in terms of extent or convenience. Been to Dolomites 2x (2nd and 5th weeks skiing) and stayed in Arabba both times - off there again in March next year. I have to say that beyond maybe Zermatt, this is one special place in terms of extent, scenery and moutain restaurants. At intermediate level, I wouldn't worry about the snow record too much because of the vast amount of snowmaking. When there the 1st time in 2003 I had a ball - only afterwards did I learn that there was apparently a 'snow drought' that year yet the snow making was perfect and kept all the pistes open. As an intermediate who wants variety and the ability to challenge oneself I don't think you could do better. I would recommend either Arabba (small, quiet and most challenging area) or Selva (bigger pretty, small vertical) as bases. Coravara is stunning, but is in the heart of 'Blue land' with a little too much polling occasionally for my liking, and Canazei seemed very inconvenient to me and the snow never particularly good in that valley. Enjoy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
agavin,
colleague thinking of heading to arabba in jan/feb. you know any good apartments / hostels / self catering hotel type deals available in arabba?? i presume you can get there by bus too? any tips. (as cheap as poss).
cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to both. Stayed at Canazei in Sella Ronda. The most boring nightlife of any ski trip I've been on. The skiing is perfect for you. Couple of choke points on the lifts can be a pain and snow can be dodgy but huge circuit.

Livigno can be wild at night and the skiing is good too but nowhere near as extensive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tree_hugger, sorry about the delay in responding. The first time I went was with Nelison in a chalet of theirs. The 2nd time we went was very last-minute and independent and stayed at the Genziana ( http://www.genziana.it/ ). We were the only English speakers there during the Feb half term week, so it may be a bit cheaper than some of the other hotel options used by package tour operators? Did it on half-board, and back then cost us about 30 Euros per person per night. Very good food and friendly helpful staff.

We found the Genziana hotel by phoning the Arabba tourism office who were very helpful and had a list of places with availability still for the next day. I cannot give you the number, but again I am sure that phoning them would help. Have a look at the Arabba tourism website under accommodation at http://www.arabba.it/. They hava a full list of hotels, Garni, apartments etc. Just be careful as some are a little way out of Arabba. I also remember that a few of the hotels also seemed to have seperate apartments.

In terms of transport, we just hired a car from Venice and drove there - shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Beware Michelin route finder which directed us the 'scenic way' (3 beautiful hours!) over a stunning mountain pass - lucky for us it was a blue sky day and it hadn't snowed for a while, because by the end of the week after 3 days of snow, the road was VERY closed. The correct route should run straight up the valley until the last 20km or so when you climb to Arabba. Not a bad drive considering we had to do it after 3 days of solid snow. Probably a similar distance from Verona where you can alos get budget flights. There is no train station there. Again take a look at look at the Arabba website as it has various directions etc and information on nearest train stations and coaches ( http://www.arabba.it/arrivare-e.htm ). Again probably the best thing would be to phone their tourism office and ask. There are often delays between information changing and websites being updated. The following website offered coach transfers (we wanted a car though) http://www.dolomitistars.com/inglese/index.php
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in Arabba first full week in January 05
Low down most of the snow was man made be it was kept in very good condition
Because it was early January the Ronda sircuits were very quiet with the only wates for lifts in Selva
From what I can remember there is only one drag tow in the main circuit going round clockwise, not sure if it will be replaced for this winter
Lots of easy skiing off the main circuit with no waits for lifts
Arraba also best place for getting to the Marmalada area which has a few more challing slops with some black runs that were black
We stayed in the Olimpia hotel which we enjoyed it was about five mins walk to the slopes but had a well equiped ski room at the bottom of the runs. You could usally get a lift from the owners to or from the slops most of the time but the walk was not much of a problem and a lot lass than some other places.
The only couple of down sides is having to wait till the area had at least some dump of snow before booking this is already covered in other posts and that Arabba would be very quiet if your are into partying all night
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I too have been to both ( and both many times ).

No brainer - it has to be The Dolomites and stay in Arabba ( although I fancy trying Corvara sometime ). Okay it's not Verbier, St. Anton etc for night life but there are a good few lively bars and some pretty nice restaurants that don't charge the earth for a decent meal.

For an intermediate the range of skiing open to you is huge, you can drift around all day to your hearts content without too many worries about getting stranded. Signposting is good and the Sella Ronda circuit is easy to follow, but does have a few drag lifts and a bit of polling.

You can venture out further - take a day in Cortina if you have a car and go up the little Cinque Torre ski area on the way. From Arabba or any of the Sella Ronda linked areas ski over to Armentarolla and pick up a short bus/taxi ride to Lagazoui, which is better know as the Hidden Valley. Ski back past the iced waterfalls, lunch at Scotinis, then get a tow from the horses along the long flat section that takes you back to Armentarolla.

As for Livigno being high and snow sure I would debate that as I went twice one winter ( January and March ), back in the late 80's, and the conditions were dire. They even had put a single chair on the long drag up to the Mottolino because there was no snow to be dragged up on.

It needed and maybe still does need a link lift that crosses the town to really improve the ease of access to the ski areas which are quite a distance apart. Did they ever put a link lift in? I know it was 'planned' back 15 or more years ago I somehow doubt the plan ever reached fruition.

CP

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 29-09-05 9:43; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to Livigno, loved the village atmosphere and the skiing is generally good. However the runs are spread out and you need to either walk a long way or catch the ski bus. If you are going there you should try to stay near one of the gondolas so that you have greater access. There are two areas either side of the valley. The other downside is the transfer time, I think it is about 4 hours and because Livigno is in a valley there is always the possibility that you get snowed in - guess that's not a bad idea if you are already there Smile Also its a duty free resort so anything you purchase is generally cheaper than elswhere.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy