Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Andorra any good for skiing late March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to book at late ski holiday - 31March and was wondering if Andorra is a good bet? I've heard its good for a bargain...I've been skiing in the French Alpes late season with no problems with snow but fancy a change of scenery.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JLP1999, historic snow report for Soldeu is not bad for March, but snow seems to have a habit of melting very quickly in early April - see links below.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/historical/snowreport.aspx/Soldeu-Grandvalira

http://www.igluski.com/andorra/soldeu-el-tarter-snow-history_25696

My understanding is that Andorra is by no means a "snow sure" resort at the best of times. I have only been once (in Jan - Feb) and it was rocks and grass when we arrived but had a big dump on Day 2.

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've twice been to Andorra. Both times the same week (2nd week in March). First time the snow was fantastic, second time less than 50% of the resort was open due to lack of snow, and the snow that was there was patchy and slushy. Moral of the story is that with any form of weather, there are no guarantees. However, I do believe the Grandvalira area has invested heavily in snowmaking since my visits, so if it's cold enough, that should keep more of the area open. Soldeu is a much nicer village than Pas De La Casa by the way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JLP1999, You could get superb conditions in a good year. I was in Arinsal first week of April several years back and it snowed whilst we were there producing superb conditions. I had a foot or so of powder to myself on Easter Saturday (on the highest run) as everyone else had gone to Pal (before the link was built). I'll tell you this: if I had to choose between mid/late December or early April I'd go for April every time. It could be disaster but at least it's had all season to build up depth and the weather tends to be good with long days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd echo what queen bodecia, and billb, have already said I've been to Andorra many times although the last was a few years ago now.

To answer your question is a good bet? Probably not, a betting man would head high or somewhere with a solid snow reocrd for that time of year. I'll be in St Anton the week before you plan to travel.

I don't really find Andorra great value anymore-the Grandvalira pass is one of if not the most expensive in the Alps but mostly I out grew the skiing so don't let me put you off too much.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went out on 4th April 2010 and had a great week. Typical slushy spring skiing in the afternoons most days, but we had 2 days where it went really cold which led to an afternoon/evening of snow mid week which really freshened things up. By the end of the week it was starting to get patchy though. Couldn't fault it for the time of year really.

I understand spring conditions last year were reasonable even though the Alps struggled (from reading on here, so I maybe wrong).

I think it can be hit or miss like anywhere else, maybe worth waiting until closer the time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went in April 2010 and the snow was good; typical spring skiing, which usually includes some powder. I had better snow than my wife who was in Les Arcs that week, BUT Soldeau was not cheap: the lift pass was more expensive than for the same length of time in Les Arcs, budget accomodation was hard to find and a transfer from the airport relied on a friend in the resort walking into a ski bum bar and asking who wants to earn some extra money. The UK tour operators had cancelled their programmes in early March.

My wife paid less but had poorer snow in Les Arcs which is not quite what you would expect.

If you love blasting around gentle almost empty pistes then it is a great area at that time of year but you will be taking a gamble and it will not be cheap. Though I probably will not go back to Andora if I did I would probably go to Pas de la Casa rather than Soldeau.

John
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
John, interesting you should say that. We stayed in Pas de la Casa, and travelled with Neilson - it was the last week of the season. Pas isn't pretty, but it's functional.

With regards to the lift pass, it wasn't cheap, but the tourist board seems to package in ski hire and lessons. My OHs lift pass cost the same as mine, yet with mine I got boots, skis and lessons. The OH could've had the same as me for the same price (which I tried explaining to her!) but she didn't want lessons and didn't need to hire boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My view of Soldeau was a long string of hotels along a busy main road. It is not pretty and certainly not functional. We got fed up with the 20 minute trek each way, breathing in the fumes and dodging the traffic. The bars were full of cigarette smoke and hence unusable. On some days it was not possible to buy meat in the village shops. But spirits were cheap. No mention was ever made of tourist board packages
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, horses for courses. Our view of Soldeu was of a compact and convenient base. Walk to to main lift from our ridiculously cheap apartment was 3 minutes, same to the bars and very reasonable restaurants (self catering? yeah right). We didn't have to dodge much traffic because we used the pavements. Bars were friendly (very), lively, loud and full of cigarette smoke, therefore excellent. We had a complete blast. Down side was the tortuous coach from Toulouse, and can't see myself going there again because of the limited and (relatively) unchallenging landscape.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ref transfer, yes it is a long way fron Toulose airport, which is they way we did it first year with a TO, every year after that we did it diy and flew in barcalona, roughly same distance in milage but if you hire a car its quicker than a coach and you get to stop when you want to. Hopefully will be good snow in March we are going middle of month for a few days!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The general concenus fromt his thread confirms the 3 main negatives I took away from Andorra and why I haven't been back on my own 'dime' kind of thing.

1. Expensive lift pass

2. Transfer can be a nightmare at best 3ish hours took me 8 one year!

3. Lack of challenging terrain for advanced-experts. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone.

I always thought when I have little Grizwalds I'd come back to Andorra as it's where I spent allot of my family holidays when it was cheap.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy