Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why don't we have asymetrical skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by the lure cast in snowboarding - anyone know (besides reasons of cost efficiency) why doesn't anyone make skis that are specifically designed asymetrical Lefts and Rights with different construction from the inside to the outside edge.

I'm aware of Scottybobs and Burton used to make asymetric snowboards for goofy and regular in some models (before they realised that this was limiting sell through potential), but conceptually why do we not have more of it?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-11-11 17:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the radius of the inner edges were bigger it would fix that pesky inner tip lead problem Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure, but I remember asking why we didn't have wider skis with more sidecut back in the early 80s
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
G3 make some asymetrical skis, the spitfire I believe the model is.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
galpinos, you're not wrong - http://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/video/g3s-asymmetric-ski-construction
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If they were asymetrical you could not swap them over halfway through the day to put the sharp edges on the inside for better grip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
current graphics trends are driving us towards assymetrical Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to Wikipedia you can get assymetric Tele skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobmcstuff, ScottyBobs are tele skis designed with a half swallowtail on the inside IIRC.

johnE, Seriously - people do that? I try to keep my left and right separate to avoid having to araldite both sides of the tips/tails to repair tip bang. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shite thread, next.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blizzard Thermo anyone?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry wrote:
current graphics trends are driving us towards assymetrical Toofy Grin

You're really missing the point if you worry about putting you skis on so the graphics line up. NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most people are too dumb to remember left and right.

They definitely are when it comes to boots...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh wrote:

You're really missing the point if you worry about putting you skis on so the graphics line up. NehNeh

It does feel wrong when the graphics are out of line. Although I have been told it's a good idea swap them over from time to time to even out the wear. Pros & cons?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I thought Elan had this, the Amphibio?
latest report
JustJill, mix 'em up as often as possible.
snow report
meh, think you're perhaps missing the point if you think there's a point to be missed!!!!

lol, waiting-for-snow-frustration? or just some fine trolling? Anyway I look badass when i line up my topsheets Toofy Grin

dont most racers have a left and right? have seen L and R written on racer's skis in the lift lines, or sometimes even arrows <and> for the less literate of racers I presume
latest report
barry, yep, but that's down to gates and edge prep,
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

but how do you know you ARE doing if you dont have an L and R to begin wiv?? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
law of averages
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ta' I'll bear that in mind when I finally get off the fence & buy some. Maybe this year...

barry wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

but how do you know you ARE doing if you dont have an L and R to begin wiv?? Puzzled Toofy Grin

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that...
So I need to buy a pair with graphics and then wear them 'back to front' half the time.
(Well, 'back to front' might be taking it a step too far, but I think you know what I mean Puzzled)
Problem solved!
Cool
ski holidays
law of averages - will that kick in before you knacker your inside edges? what about when skiing in Scotland?

Razz
latest report
let's put it this way, we service skis, there's a massive difference in livespan when people stick to a leftie and a rightie, so dinnie Toofy Grin
snow report
If you have asymmetrical skis, and you pull a 180, do you have to swap them over in mid air before you land?
snow report
paulio, depends if yer graphics still look sick gannin backwards
snow conditions
Weren't their some in the late eighties - Dynastars maybe? I remember they had different coloured squares on the graphic, and were supposed to behave differently, depending on which one you wore on which foot.
ski holidays
As someone has said the Elan Amphibio
latest report
barry wrote:
meh, think you're perhaps missing the point if you think there's a point to be missed!!!!

lol, waiting-for-snow-frustration? or just some fine trolling? Anyway I look badass when i line up my topsheets Toofy Grin

dont most racers have a left and right? have seen L and R written on racer's skis in the lift lines, or sometimes even arrows <and> for the less literate of racers I presume

Just trollin' whilst waiting for the snow. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf wrote:
I thought Elan had this, the Amphibio?

Yes- they have traditional camber tail to tip on the inside edge and a bit of tip rocker (maybe tail, but am not sure) on the outside edge. Were well reviewed at expertskier.com
ski holidays
If you have "KneeBinding" on your skis, you will have dedicated right and left skis.

Jonathan Shefftz, who previously with KneeBinding, gave the following comment in another ski forum:
"the binding is indeed asymmetrical, in that each pair has a dedicated Left & Right binding, so that heel unit releases horizontally only to the inside, i.e., medially. If a skier were to inadvertently swap Left/Right skis, then any safety advantage would be eliminated, plus the binding might very well be highly prone to prerelease."
snow conditions
Atomic's Beta Race 9.28 and Beta Carv 9.11 used to have asymmetric sidecuts. Also those Fischer skis that were labeled 'Radarc' were asymmetrical.
There were a few Dynastar skis (probably the Fusion series) that were asymetrical shape.
snow report
Crusader wrote:
If you have "KneeBinding" on your skis, you will have dedicated right and left skis.

Jonathan Shefftz, who previously with KneeBinding, gave the following comment in another ski forum:
"the binding is indeed asymmetrical, in that each pair has a dedicated Left & Right binding, so that heel unit releases horizontally only to the inside, i.e., medially. If a skier were to inadvertently swap Left/Right skis, then any safety advantage would be eliminated, plus the binding might very well be highly prone to prerelease."

Yes, this came up when the Chairman of KneeBinding was posting on Epic. I didn't make the suggestion at the time, but have since thought that they should offer a plate system option http://blog.skilodgingrental.com/2011/11/29/kneebinding-thoughts-and-suggestions-.aspx
snow conditions
MEfree30 wrote:

Yes, this came up when the Chairman of KneeBinding was posting on Epic. I didn't make the suggestion at the time, but have since thought that they should offer a plate system option http://blog.skilodgingrental.com/2011/11/29/kneebinding-thoughts-and-suggestions-.aspx

Good point, but I don't think your suggestions were taken up by John Springer-Miller.
ski holidays
I would have thought it possible, with modern carvers, to have different radii on the inside and outside edges, so that one way round you would have gentle GS skis, swap them over and you have a turny pair of Slalom skis ?
ski holidays
Asymetric snowboards are a good idea and works well if you ride a forward stance (alpine, bx), it is absolutely pointless if you ride duck. On skis, why? The whole idea of asymetric is to centre the sidecut between toes and heels. If you want to play with sidecuts go vsr. That works brilliantly on skis and boards, if you don't believe me try Kessler's ski's or boards. His version is called klothoid.
Asymetric snowboards are still being made by the likes of Virus, but most manufacturers will not touch it as the cost implications are not worth it (race boards, trying to figure out how many regular/goofy boards to produce and two presses).
ski holidays
Movement Freeheels are / were asymmetrical with about a 1m difference in the radius of the inner and outer edges. I had some- I sold them- too long, stiff and tricky for me.
latest report
sorry forgot to mention that they are / were a telemark specific ski and with 75mm boots the bindings are either left or right so on tele skis an asymmetrical cut makes at least some sense possibly.
snow report
ed123 wrote:
sorry forgot to mention that they are / were a telemark specific ski and with 75mm boots the bindings are either left or right so on tele skis an asymmetrical cut makes at least some sense possibly.

is that not just cause of the leash setup? (ie 75mm left and rights, leash on outside side of binding)
snow conditions
barry, Duckbill is asymmetrical too - you know about when you put the wrong ski on.
snow report
fatbob, never noticed that Embarassed . Just as well I set my 75mm teles up with leashes to the outside and lined up with my badass ski graphics Laughing Laughing (and have since gone ntn)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy