Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long term snowfall and snow depth trends in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to learn more about the long term snowfall and snow depth trends in the Alps. I feeling kinda nerdy about this topic Very Happy

This is the only article I have found so far:
http://www.unige.ch/climate/Publications/Beniston/CC97B.pdf

And this graph is from the above article - interesting...

Please post any other links you may come across.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Western European Alps get around 100cm to 750cm of snow per season at village or mid-station levels.

Most resorts average around 200 to 600cm of snow per season.

Western Austria is the snowiest part of the Alps, averaging around 300 to 750cm.

For comparison, parts of northern Japan and northwest USA routinely average over 1000cm per season.

Western European Alpine snowfall has been declining by roughly 5% per decade since the 1970s. The Alps are drying up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Whitegold.

I'm looking for published sources - do you have links to the helpful info you have posted?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://en.skiinfo.com/ this website seems pretty good for snowfall info. Might be a good place to start looking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, It's just yadda yadda yadda from you isn't it?

wee wee off or contribute something helpful, intesting or useful. Or funny.

Weather is as weather does. The alps are doing what they do.

Hey ho....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeDaSp,some La Plagne snowfall history can be found here
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/HistoriqueEnneigement.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeDaSp, never look for evidenced remarks from Whitegold. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks - I don't want this thread to be a global warming argument!

Just factual research and graphs etc.

...my mouse is hovering above the "Ignore this (silly old) SnowHead" check-box Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wonder does skiclub of gb have some paper archives?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica wrote:
PeDaSp, never look for evidenced remarks from Whitegold. wink

Suck it and see, treacle wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahem... www.metrosnow.co.uk & www.welove2ski.com are not exactly what I meant by "published sources".

I'm looking for scientific research with data, peer reviewed, and published in respected scientific journals; or thereabouts.

Alas, an off-shoot of the Daily Mail doesn't quite live up to those standards wink

But they are good practical reads none the less! Shows you were to go to get the most snow; and the western Austrian alps seems to be the place for that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tony Crocker is another stats geek skier (recently retired actuary) who has analyzed a lot of N.A. but has also been looking to find out more about Europe. His site is http://bestsnow.net/ He has referred to the Ski Club of GB as making some historical info available to its members
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would ask your question on one of the main weather forums such as www.theweatheroutlook.co.uk or http://forum.netweather.tv/ I'm sure some one on there will be able to help you. You'll probably have to sign up for an account before you can post your question though
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeDaSp, I have a load of this stuff bookmarked somewhere, but am walking down the street.

You might try digging around here http://www.zamg.ac.at/histalp/ or contacting them directly.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/histalp/downloads/abstract/Auer-etal-2001b-F.pdf
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is good from Meteo Suisse on a year by year basis stretching way back, but not exactly what you are after.

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/fr/climat/climat_aujourdhui/evolution_climatique_nbcn/La_chaux_de_fonds.html

There was a big Swiss study on the subject recently.
snow report
This good too.

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/fr/climat/climat_aujourdhui/tendances_en_suisse.html

Actually playing around on Meteo Suisse, Meteo France and ZAMG could keep you busy for a while...
snow conditions
PeDaSp wrote:
Ahem... www.metrosnow.co.uk & www.welove2ski.com are not exactly what I meant by "published sources".

I'm looking for scientific research with data, peer reviewed, and published in respected scientific journals; or thereabouts.

Alas, an off-shoot of the Daily Mail doesn't quite live up to those standards wink

But they are good practical reads none the less! Shows you were to go to get the most snow; and the western Austrian alps seems to be the place for that.

Well, try wording your questions more clearly, then.

"Published sources" can mean many things.

If you're writing vague, Daily Mail-like questions, you'll get Daily Mail-type anwers.

Meteo France and PisteHors are good sources.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Western European Alpine snowfall has been declining by roughly 5% per decade since the 1970s. The Alps are drying up.

Where's the source for this FACT? I'd say 4 sample points spanning 40 years hardly constituents proof of a longer term pattern.
ski holidays
http://www.peisey-info.com/Meteo/neige.pdf

if you can't read it all look at page 33:

i. decrease in precipitation from 1958 - 2008: -36% in the Maurienne, -10% in the Beaufortain

ii increase in temperatures: +1.9C

iii: snowfall: between -10 to -37 less days with snow on the ground (>10cm) and -36 to -50% less snowfall
snow report
davidof, A difficult read for me due to lack of french. Does the report propose any reason behind the observed differences in precip, snowfall and temps? Just down to warming or change in weather pattern, more blocking highs? What's the general theory of the impact in a rise in temps? More precip would seem reasonable, given no other pattern change, less snow at lower altitudes more higher up? That's a big difference in precipitation between two quite close locations. Just shows show localised weather is with the alps. Would need lots of datasets like this across to the alps to see the bigger picture. I await PeDaSp, analysis. Very Happy
ski holidays
davidof will you PLEASE stop your bloody trolling with this utterly unsubstantiated half-century long scientific study!
latest report
PeDaSp, you might also be interested in this from ZAMG looking at last season. It provides quite a bit of historical background.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/docs/aktuell/HISTALP_AT_Winternewsletter_2010_2011.pdf
snow report
waynos wrote:
davidof, A difficult read for me due to lack of french. Does the report propose any reason behind the observed differences in precip, snowfall and temps? Just down to warming or change in weather pattern, more blocking highs? What's the general theory of the impact in a rise in temps? More precip would seem reasonable, given no other pattern change, less snow at lower altitudes more higher up? That's a big difference in precipitation between two quite close locations. Just shows show localised weather is with the alps. Would need lots of datasets like this across to the alps to see the bigger picture. I await PeDaSp, analysis. Very Happy

obviously this is one report from a number of discreet locations and Meteo France themselves don't see a significant drop in precipitation for the whole of the Rhone Alpes region. They also say no significant change above 2000m, which doesn't correspond to this report.

The Areche along with places like the Chartreuse see more precipitation than the interior ranges like Bessans but why has Bessans suffered more? A good question.

The warmer temperatures, according to the report, have two effects:-

i. more rain at lower levels
ii. the snow that does fall is denser so you have less depth, it might be better snow for skiing though

+1 Paulio (when is admin going to implement a real +1 button?)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy