Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA - best place for solo (almost beginner) skier in January 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys

I'm looking at doing the UCPA full-time ski instruction week somewhere early next year (the Jan 2nd start date). I've skiied for 4-5 days TOTAL (think: just managing basic blue runs in Queenstown, New Zealand, and Mt Buller, Australia) - so I'm fairly new at this whole thing.

I'm a 20-something, and some company would be nice. I'm not looking for crazy clubbing antics - a quiet drink or two would be great though.

From what I can tell, the options are:
- Argentière
- Chamonix
- La Plagne
- Flaine
- Serre Chevalier
- Tignes
- Val d'Isere
- Val Thorens

Can anyone help me decide? Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learnt to ski at the Argentiere one - apparently it's the worst in terms of accommodation (needs a refurb according to the woman from Action Outdoors I spoke to), but I had a brilliant time. However, Argentiere is not good for nightlife (a quiet beer is about the limit of what you'll get - unless you go out with all the instructors before their day off, they're absolutely crazy!) and the best area for beginners is up at Le Tours IIRC which requires a bus trip.

I was in La Plagne last season and the UCPA there looks well located for your level of skiing, and the area as a whole has a lot of options for beginners/early intermediates so I'd suggest that might be a good option.

Can't really comment on the others.

The UCPA model is awesome though so you'll have a good time wherever you end up anyway. One of the cheapest ways of doing it too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to the Les Arcs, Serre Chevalier and Val d'Isere centres. Lots of fun involved. Be prepared that the main language spoken is French with the exception of a few centres where Swedish contigents mean that there are English speaking clases. The level of tuition is good and they will cater to the demands of the group as to what your week consist of doing.

Quality of food is high for self service. They have their own bars serving quality beverages for ok prices.

Les Arcs is the best suited to a skiier with a weeks experience that I've been to. I noticed this was where there was the least English speakers though.

Serre Chevalier has loads of Swedes and a heated outdoor swimming pool. Plenty of good skiing for progressing skiiers, but for the extent of blues and reds I would probably pick Tignes or Les Arcs.

Tignes as a resort would be great for your ability, but don't know what the centre is like. The resort is not the most aesthetically pleasing though think tower blocks and no trees.

Avoid Val d'Isere simply because the pistes back to resort consist mainly of world cup downhill slopes. Best for nightlife though in my opinion.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive stayed with UCPA in Flaine and thought the hotel was really good and the food was really nice. It was also very close to the slopes With enough snow you can ski to the front door, however you have to walk to the lifts in the morning (about 100m).

Flaine resort is very good for 1 week skiers like yourself. Lots of long blues form top to bottom and some easier reds to get you to progress. UCPA ski schools are very good so you will probably being down the harder reds by the end of the week.

However I am going to Tignes this year after going to Flaine for the last 2
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne Le France (there are 2 UCPA's in LA plagne) should be spot - on
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
la plagne should suit
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FWIW we are off to Val T in Feb and were informed when we booked that they do not take beginners, the lad has 1 week skiing on toothbrushes and is quite happy to chance it. Would agree with Hutchy about Flaine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Learnt to ski in UCPA Argentiere, was a great week, there's plenty of perfect beginner level ski runs up in Le Tour which is where we spent most of the week. Would highly recommend it, not much going on during the night, but to be honest when you're learning to ski, it's hard work, you will be shattered by the end of the day (at least I was, and I had a decent fitness level - I'd been swimming a mile everyday for 6 months prior to going).
Tuition was really good, plenty of English speaking around in the UCPA centre, most of the week's lessons were done in English. I had a good time Smile ...Going back there in 3 weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the super helpful responses - based on them, I've narrowed it down to Flaine/Le Plagne/Argentiere.

At the moment, I've got the option to fly into Geneva from London, arriving around 9pm. I think Le Plagne sounds like the best but, but transfers from the airport that late might be an (expensive) problem though.

The other option is the night bus... am I crazy to be considering that bus??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Certainly a transfer to Argentiere would be fine that late and probably Flaine too but I've not done that one myself. Le Plagne is a bit of a hike from Geneva though. Speak to the people at Action Outdoors, they offer transfers in the package and should know the latest flight arrival times.

As for the snow coach/ski bus. There are several previous threads on here, some people love it some people hate it. It srikes me as being quite expensive this year and not that much cheaper than flights and transfers in my case.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

some people love it some people hate it

we've done coach (not Action Outdoors) several times, and it's not much different to a longhaul flight - and far cheaper. The problem when my daughter did an Action Outdoors coach was that there were horrendous delays - first because a driver did a runner at Dover, then because the coach broke down - twice on the way down and once on the way back. Shocked that was sheer bad luck, I'm sure - and stuff can go wrong with flights, too.

From Geneva, arriving late though, I'd go for Flaine or Argentiere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrme,

I did a night bus trip last year, for the first time. It wasn't my first choice but my friends could not really afford anything else.
It wasn't that bad at all. We had seats with improved leg room. A good pillow and ear plugs for me and I slept reasonably well, more so on the way down despite the tiredness on the way back.
If it gets me a cheap ski weekend I'd happily do it again..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't comment on Le Plagne. However, for a 2nd week skier, I definitely recommend Flaine over Argentiere.
Flaine's area is much better linked and with larger (and nicer) choice of runs to progress into for people at the skill level after about 2-4 weeks of skiing.
The UCPA centre (the ex-club med one, I'm not sure about the other centre in Flaine) is conveniently located and comfortable. So, apart from the less frequent transfer, Flaine is a better choice for the comfort level and skill level.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd reccomend La Plagne over Flaine as it's much higher altitude. Flaine tops out at 2500-ish, La Plagne 3250, although I doubt you'd be up on the glacier too much unless the snow is bad. Plus I like La Plagne...

I'd echo everyone's comments saying Argentiere probably not the best choice. As I said, I learnt at the Argentiere and it was awesome, but if I hadn't been on a uni trip and was organising it for myself I'd probably choose La Plagne or similar to learn at for variety of doable runs.

Also we went on the Action Outdoors coach, it was fine. I slept all the way, much to everyone else's annoyance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I went to flaine my driver for my transfer was mad and it took about 45 mins.

The only time I would consider the night coach is if I lived in london and it was much cheaper than flying

also i agree with what cppoon, says
snow conditions
Les Ars over La Plagne. Newer centre, more comfortable, more going on, better resort. I wouldnt go back to Flaine, tired centre, food not nearly as good, boring runs. Beginners loved Les Arcs, classes were great and all in english. Our Confirme snowboard class was in French which sucked but he tried his best, "F@@cking monkey style!" he often shouted.
snow conditions
La plagne le france is better than les arcs. la p
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
Les Ars over La Plagne. Newer centre, more comfortable, more going on, better resort. I wouldnt go back to Flaine, tired centre, food not nearly as good, boring runs. Beginners loved Les Arcs, classes were great and all in english. Our Confirme snowboard class was in French which sucked but he tried his best, "F@@cking monkey style!" he often shouted.

Both Flaine and La Plagne have two UCPA centres.
I think while Flaine les Lindars is not new and funky as Les Arcs (and can be called an ugly concrete block), it's a long way from what I would described as tired by what I usually see in Europe. I loved the shared room I stayed in: the separate sleeping and locker areas made it a lot easier when I got up early or packed my bags late and I didn't have to worry about disturbing other people in the room.
I suspect quality of food and instructors varies season by season. People who has done a lot of skiing may found Flaine not exciting. But the layout of the resort is really good and intermediate skiers should found it very enjoyable.

I agree the elevation of the resort should be taken into account from the look of things...
latest report
I've booked into Flaine for the week beginning 2 January. Woohoo!

A big thank you to everyone for all your helpful responses, made deciding a helluva lot easier.

I might now need to spend a weekend in Paris first to brush up on my 6 or so words of French... Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy