Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

foot width v last width

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We hear a lot on here about different fits of boots and a fair bit about boots with different last widths and shapes. Apart from the shape, how does the last compare with each forefront width for a race, performance or leisure fit? Not trying to fit my own boots here, but would like more of an understanding on what the last width actually means to the fit of the corresponding width of foot.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ok, so the lasts are measured on a size 26/26.5 and go (roughly) as this

race 92mm - 95mm
performance 97mm - 98mm these are mostly boots based on the race boots bit with a more relaxed fit often the "free ride" version of a boot model
not sure what to call this one... 99mm - 102mm still performance boots bit a bit more relaxed
comfort 103mm - 104mm classic comfort fit

there are wider boots out there but they are the extreme end of the "comfort " market

the above comes with the caveat that 97mm-98mm can be a comfort fit for a narrow foot, in fact 93mm can be comfort if the foot is narrow enough

you also have to remember that boots as they go up or down in size get wider or narrower proportionally so a 104mm foot in a size 23 is really wide but in a size 29 or 30 is actually pretty narrow

the manufacturers tend to make their top end boots in narrower widths so that better skiers who want a performance fit get a narrower boot...all good if it works for your foot but a good skier with a wide foot needs a wider boot, a beginner with a narrow foot needs a narrow boot and this is starting to come through in some models in lower flexes where a couple of seasons ago there was no narrow boot below a 120-130 flex
SMALLZOOKEEPER has a great way of putting it which i 100% agree with

replace the manufacturers definitions of beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert boot types with the words crap, average, good and great when you look at plastic quality..... we only sell good and great boots as nobody wants a crap pair!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, is a 100 mm last, made for a 100mm wide foot in a comfort level of boot?

All good info, appreciated.

Measured my forefront whilst standing earlier and it is 107mm wide. What would a performance fit last width be?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
what size is your foot....if you are a size 26 then you have a pretty but not excessively wide foot, if you are a 28 for example then a 98-100mm boot with a little work (depending on foot shape/boot shape) will work no problems
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Current boots are 28.5. One boot looser than the other. Atomic m90.

Shoes range between 9.5 and 10.5.

I've been reading a lot about boots lately and was getting a wee bit concerned that my next boots might not be what I'm looking for due to wide feet. It's reassuring to hear that you think a 98-100 last boot may be ok for what I assume are wider feet.

This is all hypothetical stuff for now though as a boot fitter will be seen when the time comes. Just good to increase my own knowledge (and anyone else's) on the subject.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, The foot may not be that wide if positioned on a good footbed, some of the width with come from the foot pronating and spreading out, so if this is controlled the foot may be a little narrower so in that size I would expect a 98mm to 100mm boot would be fine, just got to get the size and the shape correct for the foot as best you can then make adjustments for the lumps and bumps
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread is something I found applies to myself and is informative re the better performance boots widths.
It applies too board boots it seems better are narrow.

I have a broad question so any info would give a indication of possible width reduction !

Givern that generic or custom footbeds can reduce forefoot width.

How many mm,s reduction range is often possible with both types of footbed?

I have 270-273mm feet pronating unsupported with one-108mm the other-115mm wide aprox .
This season I will be on superfeet green and blue in snowboard boots but in the future would like to think about getting into salomons best narrow boot.
I probably am optimistic as its about 100mm wide in a 27 or 27.5

I think I would need a 26- 26.5 with a forefoot boot stretch and footbeds but wanted to get a idea on what width reduction is possible with footbeds alone ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tirol 164, It really depends on the foot, some feet are pretty rigid and spread (or narrow) very little whatever you do to them, others are very flexible, a flexible pronating foot could spread by several mm on weight bearing and controlled correctly most of this can be reduced

I don't think it is possible to put a figure on it as you are dealing with such a unique item, different feet also react differently to different types of footbed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pm on it's way CEM, with more specific questions. Thanks for taking the time to post to this thread... all really helpful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks CEM probably like shoogly I will know a bit more after this season but with the superfeet in my case this dec.
If I can I,ll try riding the SF in a narrower boot then take it from that point just as a test.
It would be good to hear Shooglys progress on width reduction or what was needed and worked even if it is a individual example.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tirol 164, will keep you updated. won't happen until feb at the earliest though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats ok for feb I have been slowly progressing my boot fit since 08/09 and actually look forward to a improvement each season.
Although Im in board boots, your aims, foot widths and performance boot widths are similar.
Skiers also seem way more clued up in the uk than the sales focused snowboard boot people, it seems at a lower level.

I want to understand it a little bit more as well its important when in odd locations with no transport or something goes wrong.
We can all pick a ski or board but this is harder just pleased to be heading in the right direction towards performance fit with no pain .
Now maybe... it looks possible to step that up to the Great type of narrow boot mentioned.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy