Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape "real snow slope" ?

Poster: A snowHead
I went to Xscape in Leeds the other day and while its not very long I did find the real snow aspect very good.

The other half has had some lessons there and seems to be coming on well. It is a bit expensive compared to Rossendale dry ski slope but the snow makes up for it I find.

http://www.xscape.co.uk

What does everyone else think of these type of places ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Royal, Welcome snowHead , I think you'll find that many of us pay the accasional visit to them and a few here are regular members of the race clubs there. It has to be said the wallet takes a bit of battering every visit. There are lots of theads and comments in other forums that have a handle on the sometimes indiferent snow grooming in these sheds and the best times for going.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Royal, I think most people here will agree with you. It is expensive and, of course, very limited skiing. But it is skiing and on proper snow as opposed to plastic, so it gives you that sliding "fix" while we wait for the season to get here.

If you get too silly about it, you could always join this lot who meet at discounted rates on Sunday mornings and Monday evenings at Castleford.

All in all, I think it's great. Welcome to snowHeads too, if no one else has said it yet snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Far superior to an artificial slope, in my 2-visits experience. Both times. the quality of snow at Castleford was good. It is expensive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Ive been looking for a ski forum for ages, where have you been hiding !?!

Im getting addicted to castleford, fortunately I get 25% discount through my job which takes the sting out of it a bit.

They were going to build a massive indoor slope in manchester but it got knocked on the head (what a shame).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Royal, yes, welcome to snowHeads!

We updated the situation on the Manchester snowdome (Chill Factor E) recently. It's still a live proposition, apparently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Royal,

I emailed one of the management team behind the Manchester dome recently and it is still very much ongoing. Planning permission was granted in April and they hope to open in 2007.

And welcome to snowheads!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also heard on the grapevine that Xscape plan to open a new snow dome somewhere in the south east...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I personally I'm looking forward to the 06 opening of the snowdome in Glasgow
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, don't know whether it's true, but I heard a rumour early this summer that there were plans afoot to make High Wycombe real snow. Not heard anything more recently. The plastic racing circuit is rapidly running out of slopes, with the Nike ones also going Permasnow (Swadlincote, Bracknell, Llandudno, possibly Chatham - although I am led to believe Gloucester is staying half and half).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, As High Wycombe is so close to MK it would seem a waste of time and money to make it snow. surely it would also be much too steep? There's been rumours about Chatham for years though. SE makes sense - huge and rich catchment area!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, just had a great time at MK snowdome. Mr C is trying his hand at boarding and so went for his 2nd lesson there - of course he was good! Evil or Very Mad We went early, 9am start - great to watch the racing ski club at it, all the little ones tearing down really put me to shame. Wish I lived nearer - hour and a half drive each way (early morning traffic!) is a bit much to go regularly. There were warnings that the slopes were very icy and no refunds would be given, but the flat side was fine. I think we were lucky going so early, you could start to see the ice appearing which had had a thin layer of snow over it. Apparently their machine wasn't working and only one of the pomas was working. Still, great for a summer whizz!

Would be great if a snowdome opened up South of London somewhere - or how about Crystal Palace??! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, makes sense. So somewhere with good road (and rail) links, fairly affluent locals - Woking anyone Wink Very Happy ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
GrahamN, As High Wycombe is so close to MK...

Since when?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Not very far away are they? N side of London - I would have thought that they had more or less the same catchment area. I should like to ski HW with real snow - a red/black run definitley.

GrahamN, Devil's punchbowl is where I've always wanted to put a major ski slope. You could have a variety of slopes meandering through the trees, some straight down ones for reds and blacks, and easy for moguls too. There's already a large car park, pub, cafe and hotel just there, right on A3, so ...................... You could have the real snow slopes in sort of tubes to avoid spoiling the countryside, and a mix of dendix (green natch.) and snowmakers. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski, yes that would be a good location
snow report
easiski, interesting idea, but I doubt you'd swing that with the locals. I doubt the National Trust would look too kindly on it either, and the traffic lights at Hindhead are the bottleneck on the A3. Still, maybe it could be tacked on to the plan to put the A3 in a tunnel under Hindhead - hell, while you've got the digging machinery there just put the entire snowslope underground Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.

(How about Box Hill as an alternative? They even have a Salomon memorial up there - which was clearly looking very lost without a decorative garland of knackered skis.)
ski holidays
What are they doing with the Millenium Dome? I would have thought that would be an ideal location to serve the capital, but haven't been up close to it myself so dont know if it's big/high enough.
ski holidays
GrahamN,

A Salomon memorial?

conor,

I've always said that about the Millenium Dome! Though carting skis on the tube across London isn't fun.
ski holidays
Thats great news about the Trafford Centre, well maybe if the traffic doesnt get too bad !

I just hope they do the same as at leeds and insist you can control yourself before you can go on the main slope.

Oh and maybe one other thing, ban you for ever if you fall of the poma lift more than twice in a row Razz !
snow report
Royal, i am too from manchestor and my need for a ski run here is emmense, i go to cas alot and my need for 25% off is even greater how do you get that?
ski holidays
yeah 25% is a big bonus, hope i get it at the new one in manchester too. id be there every week if i could afford it !

The other one that get shelved in town because of problems with the river irlwell i seem to remember.
snow conditions
AD, you can get discounts (I think 20%) at Castleford if you are a student or a mamber of the Ski Club of Great Britain.
latest report
give them a ring and they will tell you what groups get what.
snow report
I had my first taste of a snowdome last month whilst i was up north I popped in to Tamworth snow dome and the surface was excellent, not icy at all, perfect snow just shame it's a short run. Still jolly good fun though. Hopefully going to MK snowdome next Saturday, anyone know how this compares to Tamworth?
ski holidays
Cathy Coins wrote:
Ah, just had a great time at MK snowdome. Mr C is trying his hand at boarding and so went for his 2nd lesson there - of course he was good! Evil or Very Mad We went early, 9am start - great to watch the racing ski club at it, all the little ones tearing down really put me to shame. Wish I lived nearer - hour and a half drive each way (early morning traffic!) is a bit much to go regularly. There were warnings that the slopes were very icy and no refunds would be given, but the flat side was fine. I think we were lucky going so early, you could start to see the ice appearing which had had a thin layer of snow over it. Apparently their machine wasn't working and only one of the pomas was working. Still, great for a summer whizz!

Would be great if a snowdome opened up South of London somewhere - or how about Crystal Palace??! snowHead snowHead

I was there at 9am too as my other half had a boarding lesson too - did you see they were teaching the ski kids to ride with only one ski! Fair play, pretty mental that!
latest report
Board4Life, yes - I saw them, pretty darn good! What class was your other half in? Mr C was in the level 2 class and pretty easy to spot, probably the only black guy there. Were you out on the normal slopes?
ski holidays
Yeah I was out on the normal slope - had a board with a bright green underneath. My other half was in level 2 too - didn't notice who else was in her class. Think she said there were only a few; another one of my mates, someone else who she said was massively hungover and another who she said was picking it up pretty quick.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well Mr C didn't have a hangover and he did say he was good at it...... rolling eyes Very Happy

Must admit I really only look at the skiers to watch their technique - and those boarders who go on the rails. I didn't notice any boards with green underneath even though there weren't really many boarders there on Sun. Oh well, I nearly met another snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
Royal wrote:
yeah 25% is a big bonus, hope i get it at the new one in manchester too. id be there every week if i could afford it !

The other one that get shelved in town because of problems with the river irlwell i seem to remember.

They soon managed to get approval to build another apartment complex there though didn't they?????????? town planners, can't live without them, can't shoot them.
snow report
Cathy Coins wrote:
Oh well, I nearly met another snowHead...... rolling eyes Very Happy

Two actually! I was there on the main slope for 3 hours, whilst my partner was doing her level 3/4 ski lesson on the nursery slope.

The slope really wasnt that great, but after driving up from gatwick I wasnt going to just sit and watch! It definately worsened as the day went on. Hopefully, they can fix the problem (Piste Basher engine?) for my next trip up next month!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
Royal,

If you don't me being nosy - what is your job that gives you a 25% discount?
ski holidays
scottydog wrote:

Two actually! I was there on the main slope for 3 hours, whilst my partner was doing her level 3/4 ski lesson on the nursery slope.

And there was me thinking no point in trying to arrange a snowHeads meet for 9 am! Must have been pretty hard going to keep amused for 3 hours on the slope - I can manage 1 hour fine..... Very Happy
ski holidays
Where is the longest indoor real snow slope, the one at castleford is 175 feet wich last about 5 seconds at a decent speed?
snow report
Royal, try turning now and again.
snow conditions
yeah i try that for the first couple of feet then feel the need for speed....

Ive got a short attention span.
latest report
Royal, do it the other way round, much more fun. snowHead
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
Royal, do it the other way round, much more fun. snowHead

how will i see where im going ?
latest report
Look over your shoulder.
snow conditions
I enquired how much a private lesson would be, thinking I may as well use the time constructively that Mr C spends learning to board.

£120 for the hour!! Shocked Shocked

Think I'll carry on just going up & down the slope badly Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy