Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Praise the lord, it's snawing!

Poster: A snowHead
Reports coming in fast and furious that it's snowing in Aviemore (big fat flakes), heavily at Glenmore and the same on 'the hill'. Looks like the same is happening in the west too Very Happy

Now if those Europeans took a leaf out of the Scots book and start eating deep fried Mars bars and pizzas, drinking lots of Whisky and Irn Bru, playing bagpipes and wearing kilts and being really cr*p at football (but obsessive about it all the same) maybe they'd have more luck with the white stuff ... or maybe their turn will come anyway ... I suspect it will - C'MON THE SNAW! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, Are by any chance the roads blocked yet?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was just looking at snow-forecast and while Europe has wall to wall sunshine, Scotland has snow forecast . . . . with 85kph winds !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-15887177

Heavy snow has fallen over high ground in large parts of Scotland as gales and storm force winds continue to batter the north of the country.

The Met Office has issued a yellow "Be aware" warning for the Highlands, Western Isles and Northern Isles until Sunday because of the high winds.

Waves out to sea off the Western Isles were recorded on Thursday reaching heights of 14.8m (48.5ft).

The measurements were recorded by buoys monitored by a university's staff.

Warnings of possible flooding have been issued for several areas of Scotland because of heavy rain falls.

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) has put out flood alerts for Argyll and Bute, Caithness and Sutherland and Dumfries and Galloway.

Also at risk are parts of Orkney, Shetland, Skye and Lochaber, Wester Ross and the Western Isles.

The bad weather has also disrupted ferry services operated by Caledonian MacBrayne.

Met Office forecasters expect strong winds - possibly reaching storm force on the Northern Isles - to continue until Sunday.

Wave height measurements recorded by equipment monitored by UHI
During gales on Thursday, a Met Office buoy out to sea off the Western Isles, recorded wave heights reaching 14.3m (47.2ft).

A buoy owned by marine power developer Voith Wavegen and monitored by University of Highlands and Islands (UHI) staff on Lewis recorded higher waves closer to the islands.

The equipment off Loch Roag recorded waves of 14.8m (48.5ft). The average wave height was about 9m (29.5ft).

In October, rollers of more than 15m (49ft) were created during gales off the Western Isles and recorded by the UHI team.

In February, waves towering to 15.9m (52ft) were recorded by the Met Office in the sea off Shetland during stormy weather.

Snow, meanwhile, has been falling over Scotland's mountain and hills.

Cairngorm Mountain ski centre's operations manager Colin Matthew said if snow and freezing temperatures continued the new ski season could possibly start next weekend.

On his YouTube blog, Mr Matthew said: "I went to check the slopes. Not quite enough snow yet to open.

"The forecast is a freeze-thaw cycle over the next few days then significantly colder.

"Most forecast models are saying significant snowfalls over the hills. Hopefully it keeps going."

Nevis Range ski resort has also been reporting snowfalls to about 450m (1,476ft).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is the first time ever I've been hating snow. Supposed to be going west on a kayaking trip, was hoping this would fall as rain to bring some the big falls into condition. Not fussed about the cold, just want some more water in the rivers!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, pretty sure a lot of it will be falling as rain/sleet and trickling into the streams... where you going boatin?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/cGRp_jg8E8Y&feature=player_embedded

so much snow.

Now lets blow it over to the alps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic wrote:
roga, Are by any chance the roads blocked yet?

Not yet but give it a day and we'll have the roads blocked for you Wink

It's a wee bit blustery but in Scotland that's no bad thing because it'll be loading the snow holding gullies and natural snowfields which should help to withstand thaw events and consolidate the snow pack - snow in the Highlands often comes in on the back of gales and storms.

Colin looks like the proverbial cheshire cat in that video lol snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

being really cr*p at football (but obsessive about it all the same

And don't forget easily offended by songs from the terrace and on that grounds if Europeans (namely the Austrians) took your advice and knowing what comes out of the speakers in these places, EVERY Apres Ski bar would be shut on the grounds "of decency"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, similar weather in Newcastle today. Sleet, windy and cold. Lovely!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, To be fair the Austrians are pretty crap at football, eat and drink weird stuff: Strohl, Red Bull is their national soft drink company and wear weird leather shorts and dirndls. So I guess they're due a good dump.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, snowHead Mad Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
all that Scottish snow and the Powderbeds ad bloke on the right, chuffing lovely Friday night!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point fatbob, there are many similaries but I feel the Austrians need to introduce more batter and deep fat frying into their diet to stand the best chance of snow. They can deal with the bad skin, obesity and coronary heart disease issues at a later date (or learn to live with them like much of Glasgow Wink ), snow is more important right now Twisted Evil

Shimmy Alcott, too right snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, I'm up for a road trip next weekend!
ski holidays
Is "snawing" kind of half way between snowing and thawing? Having just spent 4 days in Scotland in quite horrible weather, I hope somebody gets some fun out of it. Was great to see a bit of snow on the tops - though we weren't far enough north to see much.
snow report
I like your thinking there pam w but snaw is just the Scottish for snow but yeah, it's thawing today then back on with the snaw tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
Just eaten a 25 kg sack of porridge oats, hoping for a big powdery dump tomorrow!
ski holidays
^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Me too ... of the snowy kind! Razz
ski holidays
tangowaggon, Laughing loving your commitment
snow conditions
Dear snowclouds,

Please come back to Europe. Please. I don't know what we said to upset you and make you leave us for North America, but please come home. We will give you all the love you deserve.
Also, I've heard some North Americans complaining about "too much snow". We would never do that (we've never had to, to be fair.)

Regards,

All of Europe over 1200m.
latest report
LenaJ, its only the end of November, stop fretting!!!
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
clarky999, pretty sure a lot of it will be falling as rain/sleet and trickling into the streams... where you going boatin?

Wow this weekend was epic - insane amounts of water (we stayed in Glen Coe). We were taking some of the uni club paddlers for an intermediate trip, and really struggled to find stuff that was manageable for them (Etive was absolutely off it's tits, Coe looked awesome but sadly too much for most of the group). In the end we did the Roy Gorge and the Arkaig in absolutely biblical levels - the Arkaig was more like Landeck Gorge in good flows, according to the lady who lives at the get out it was the highest she'd ever seen it (although with a deathtrap rope across it just after the main event). A couple of us also ran some silly steep trib of the Roy, where I managed to get a bit of a beating - followed my mate a bit too closely trying to get gopro footage, only he got stuck in a hole... In trying to avoid him, I ended up subbing out and going underneath him, then backlooping out the other side straight back into the hole. After a bit of a beating ended up popping my deck and swimming, only to get recirced again (right above a nasty g5). Think my boat's in the sea by now, but the footage is pretty funny!

Still insane amounts of water about, Laggan Dam on the Spean was on 6 pipes with lots of overspill, and more rain forecasted... Things could well get messy.

To keep things semi on topic, there was a dusting of new snow on the tops of the hills around Fort Bill.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
In trying to avoid him, I ended up subbing out and going underneath him, then backlooping out the other side straight back into the hole. After a bit of a beating ended up popping my deck and swimming, only to get recirced again (right above a nasty g5). Think my boat's in the sea by now, but the footage is pretty funny! .

Can we get a link - sounds fun.
ski holidays
clarky999, sounds good. my bro and his mate did the Allan on Saturday and said it was a very good high level.

Etive looks scary when it's that high doesn't it. I remember going up there to paddle once and the first two falls of triple falls was totally washed through into one massive bus eating hole. We never bothered, went to the Orchy instead.

You should go paddle the Blackwater up at Glenshee when it's like that... epic.
ski holidays
fatbob, will post a link when I get the footage up, dissertation writing coems first for a while now though.

shoogly, would love to get the Blackwater at that level, only done it at medium/low levels. When there's that much water it's hard to turn down the Deeside tribs though!
ski holidays
http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/glencoe/

Looks promising overnight.......

Please please please open soon!
snow conditions
Glencoe may open early given the amounts of snow piling up, the webcams are looking great at the moment, but they had set themselves a target of the 17th. I think that's based on successful use of the new Techno Alpin snow cannon on the lower slopes and it has now arrived. I think they plan to crank it up with the help of a technician from the company early next week but there's some good falls of natural snow forecast over that way anyway.

Word has it that Cairngorm may open Sunday (Saturday is forecast to be too windy), hangers were going on the top lifts today and there's an ops meeting tomorrow to discuss opening or so I'm led to believe snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You're just led to believe? You sound very much in the know. wink

Hopefully true about opening within the next week or so. Seems to have gotten a fair bit colder in the last few days.
latest report
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=736

Looks Great in Cairn!
ski holidays
All that really wet 'snow' that fell on the West Coast last weekend did this to the Etive (all Triple Step, first rapid of the middle section):

(Easter last year, middle drop, typical low flows that it spends way too much time at)

To this:
http://youtube.com/v/bWyH9ckyYac
Random dudes video, pretty high but not that full on...

To last Saturday's levels:

(Last drop - 0.15 secs in the video)

Didn't get to paddle it sadly as we'd taken an intermediate group over, so had to hunt for something more manageable for them. Still managed to get a beatdown on another silly trib later in the day though (video to come at some point).

Has there been any snow since or was it all washed away?
snow conditions
Must be snowing hard at Glencoe as the main basin cam was showing the runs at 1420 but at 1430 whited out like almost all the other Glencoe cams. From the Top of the access cam the Plateau lift uptrack looks nicely filled already (the main run is on the other side, don't worry that there is still some grass poking through the snow right in front of the cam). The temp at 2750ft (SSC hut) is -1.6C.

There is snow on the road at Drumochter and on the verges at Slochd but not at Altnafeadh and the Glencoe cafe webcam view looks very wet so the FL is between 300 and 600m at Glencoe and about 400m at the A9. The Met Office warnings seem to go for more snow for the East than the West today but the Cairngorm webcams don't show as much as the Glencoe and Nevis ones at the moment. The Lecht looks like it has more snow in the car park than on the hills but there is another beefy cloud in the background so it might look better later today. I think it only updates every 2 hours. Glenshee's webcam broke on the 29th Nov and I'm sure it doesn't look like that now snowHead
snow report
clarky999, quality pics.

Feels like it's trying to/going to snow in Glasgow just now. Pretty chilly and damp out!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy