Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
AndrewBailey wrote:
That’s a lot of snow. It was a rubbish Christmas, a decent Feb half term. Now wondering whether an Easter quick trip is worth it. Saw the traffic on the other thread. Ouch.

Easter skiing is pretty nice I do like it then. Yes the traffic was awful yesterday - back to normal today!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Back to the sunshine

The weather is bouncing around like a crazy thing this week and today proved that... at first light this morning it looked really quite similar to yesterday with some wind and snow and clouds... I was a little disappointed as I got the bino's set up as I knew there could be some fireworks to see from here in LA Daille through them of the PIDA work.... alas the thick cloud meant all we could do was hear them. Oh well.

It had been a pretty chilled start to the day and we all enjoyed special Sunday breakfast before Olivia headed out to club... she was having her last SL training session before her SL race in Villaroger next weekend. Anyway she headed off, Clare headed out to teach her lesson and I was with Ben.

We went swimming and there was a new friend for him to make there (the son of someone from Tignes I know who is an instructor there who had driven over for the swim as the pool in Tignes doesnt open until later in the day) so there was lots of using the floats and toys in the pool to have a really fun time. The pool overall was not that busy but it was a fun hour non the less.

We made sure we were home in good time to have lunch ready for when Olivia got in from skiing and we had a nice lunch... all before Clare got back!

Of course I made sure I watched the ski racing on TV and watched the poor performance by Englands white ball team in Bangladesh.... doh!

Apart from that and with Olivia skiing again this afternoon it has been a pretty relaxed afternoon. Slowly but surely the clouds and snow / wind has fallen away and it has turned into a really nice day out there. I kept the bino's set up and Ben and I have spied some skiing from after and it has even been pleasant enough this afternoon to sit on the balcony bench for a cuppa. The weather for the rest of this week is really bouncing around and the temps with it too... so I think it will generally be quite nice but there may well be a decent amount more snow coming mid week again - we shall see.

The roads and traffic have corrected themselves today nicely and things seem back to their normal mid Match selves! However with the avalanche risk of 4 out there some of the lines people have been skiing is quite insane I must say.... I have been able to spy quite a lot of skier / boarder triggered slides out there. Please stay safe and with this temperature rising massively and then dropping again tonight it will hopefully stabilise somewhat but there is still going to be the massively weak layer down there and it will be a few more days before we can safely assume its relatively safe.

Tomorrow its back to work and this week and next is relatively up and down business levels wise so its starting to fill up nicely but there are some spots available!

TTFN
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hot

Well its back to Monday morning and getting the kids out the door on time for the school bus and both Clare and I to work. Much to most peoples surprise, myself included, there was about 5cm of new snow this morning. Yippee.

Anyway I got to the meet point in really good time this morning and it was very peaceful before all hell broke loose.

So my morning session was with a really nice couple from London - we had a nice chat and a good laugh but the snow and weather of yesterday (along with many other people im sure) took them from what they perceived as being 'ok' skiers previously to a ball of mess in the lumpy and bumpy snow out there. So there was a need to rebuild the confidence and technique but mainly to find terrain that made them realise they could do it. I also wanted to show them somewhere they could find the love again. So broadly speaking we did the green triangle and Grand Pre add on and also with a descent down the Borsat green too.

It was a great morning actually and with the sun shining it was SO much hotter than it had been of late... in fact I was two whole layers too heavy... and thats after shedding a layer this morning. However the temps are really going to drop tomorrow with the weather that is coming in too.... what a run of weather we are having at the moment.

There was a lot of people keen to profit from the conditions today whether on or off piste.... certainly given the temps there was a LOT of instability out there.... ive seen footage of a HUGE natural release coming down the Face du Charvet this afternoon.... there will be some dangerous purging out there if we are not careful! Anyway with the numbers of people up there it was rather a case of nutters Monday as usual.... basically a load of really crap skiing and snowboarding going on disguised as ego's on legs flapping arms and charging around.

With the avalanche danger as it was the Epaule and Santons were both shut.... that in itself meant that the queues for Fontaine Froid would be massive BUT the fact they had not set up the ski school lane for some unknown reason meant it was just bonkers mad there. Doh!

I took lunch at the normal place and the sun was getting hotter and hotter.... wow Scorhio.

The afternoon I was up the Solaise as again the recently retired couple had lost their mojo yesterday and given the choppy snow the energy expended meant they were somewhat knackered from the experience. So anyway we had a lovely session working on the magic carpet to really rebuild the technique (its amazing how the brain makes up what it should be doing when its challenged and ultimately does the wrong thing and messes the technique up totally) and got a lap in on the Madeleine too. We had a nice drink at the Ouillette and then with refreshed batteries did some more skiing before heading down.

The weather is supposed to really deteriorate overnight and we could have yet more fresh snow by and during tomorrow - we shall see.

Quite a lot of purging went on today!

Looks a bit more like half term than mid March down there!!!

I got arty waiting at the meet point this morning!

Rather a lot of snow has fallen eh!

I think this is the top of the Datcha lift.

TTFN
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

...before Olivia headed out to club... she was having her last SL training session before her SL race in Villaroger next weekend....

Guessing altitude just above Villaroger about 1500m?? Hope for lower FL by weekend, or a race draw that puts her on early, before the course gets mashed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They reverse the running order so hopefully should all be ok either way! Thanks. Fingers crossed hope she has fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back to Winter

For some reason Ben went sleep walking last night and ended up waking Olivia up (got in her bed) and that in turn woke us all up so that broke the nights sleep somewhat.

Anyway when I opened the curtains this morning it was a lovely scene - no wind and a break in the weather (heavily overcast lets say) with perhaps 10cm of snow on the ground. However it had obviously been relatively warm as the snow clinging to the trees was thick heavy snowflakes!

The kids were off on the school bus on time and I headed to the meeting point. I made sure that I waited as long as possible in the cover under the Sun Bar as I could sense the snow coming out the sky (thick and fast again by action time) was heavy wet flakes that would make anyone quite wet before too long down low. I could also tell that as the short ski down from the Rond Pont to the actual meeting point was certainly 'sticky' snow. However that sort of snow is really good for the pistes - not so great for the off piste and amongst other impacts it pushes the av risk right up! Today was 4.

My team were slightly early so we got ahead of the crowds and headed up Solaise as I knew it would give us better options today for working on their technique. We were first up more or less and the vis was OK initially at the top and there was not a breath of wind... with about 15cm of snow on the pistes and much lighter than lower down it was quite nice skiing through it.

Of course many people probably didnt bother on a day like today or made (perhaps foolishly - perhaps not) the mistake of trying to stay low where the pistes got bumped up massively and quickly and the snow was a LOT wetter etc.

Anyway it was lovely and quiet and we got some great technique development in on the Madeleine as well as Glacier runs - it really was rather nice. Later on in the morning the wind started to get up / the snow storm really started to take hold so we skied a little more conservatively and ultimately went back to the Madeleine. However as expected one of the biggest issues was dealing with the unseen lumps and bumps out there - always keeps you on your toes.

I headed home at lunchtime (Clare has been mainly on the magic carpet with 3 year olds all day - I suspect she has had a pretty tough day!!!) and managed to get some work done as I have watched the snow storm rage out there. The actual amount of snow that has fallen out there is hard to gauge especially with the wind that has progressively shut down lifts one by one today and now closed the links between Val and Tignes totally. I suspect we have had about 30-40cm of new snow but in some places that will be a lot more. For those slopes that have recently slid in the last few days it will be be semi dangerous tomorrow and for the next few days as the temps rise but for those places that have NOT slid it will mega dangerous when the sun comes out - be careful out there folks!

So I am about to head into town for a ski school meeting and then need to get the kids from Judo / homework club so it will be a while until im home this evening.

Tomorrow the weather should really come good and I am back on a full day of lessons tomorrow and then its a couple of days of off piste back to back after that until the weekend.

TTFN

I loved this photo that YSE got this morning - so have used it.... thanks YSE!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

I loved this photo that YSE got this morning

Brilliant photo. Is that by their chalets in La Daille, on the opposite side of the piste to the big apartment block?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes and yes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When a ski season is not really a ski season!

After the winds died off and the snow stopped falling overnight we woke to lovely blue skies and a winter scene once again.

The kids (being a Wednesday were off to kids club) and were on good form getting themselves ready so it was a reasonably easy start to the day from that point of view. In fact I am off to collect the kids in a short while.

There was always going to be a lot of avalanche clearance work to do and it was pretty cool to be able to watch and see the PIDA work going on. You can see in the photo below the CATEX from the 'Folie' hut as we call it in next to Baby Spatule and how the first of the (always 4) blasts produced quite a slide. Clare happened to be looking out the balcony window just as the blast took place and got some video of it (see my Insta story for the vid). I got a photo you can see. The crown wall is very wide and deep and the slide came all the way down and across the (closed) piste. The piste is still closed of course. They will piste it tonight and it will open tomorrow (OK Orange). But always cool to see the PIDA pisteurs work in action.

So I got to the meeting point (it was colder this morning but I new it was going to get warmer so didn't go up a layer) and got ready for the day ahead. I had the same couple from a few days back who had scared themselves on their first day. We decided that heading back to the same place as the other day would be the best course of action so we set off up the Solaise.

The pistes were in AMAZING condition - best of the season - totally lush! And being early up there there was no one around. The only bad thing was that they somehow had TOTALLY managed to dig far too far down when digging the Madeleine chair out and getting on it was a nightmare unless you were on the liftie side - whoops not good today guys!

We did some laps on the carpet and then headed for the madeleine and we did some really good laps... I was very impressed with how they did... good on you. It was a good morning and with the sun shining and the snow good it was a great morning - yay!

After a quick drink break at L'Ouillette and another lap there was a lot of happy smiles - it was a good morning.

I actually headed home for lunch as needed to get some bits done and I have a BIG couple of days off piste coming up by the booking notes so a pre-rest is probably a good thing.

Anyway when is a 'ski season of experience, not a ski seasons worth'? - well in most cases really.

So this afternoon I was supposed to have a group of seasonnaires for some off piste. Our office had contact all the seasonnaires in town to set up some one off sessions for them off piste... which is what a lot of them want to do.

Anyway there is a reason we take payment in advance for sessions and the main reason is a) we can't control the weather and b) its not our fault if people are ill / hungover etc etc etc. However seasonnaires often get decent amount in tips for the jobs they do and so the group I was supposed to have (a group (crucially of 4 friends)) - 2 paid on card in advance and the other 2 wanted to pay in cash. In such a case we normally take a card on file just in case but as this was quite last minute after they say the forecast a few days ago the office saved themselves a job and didnt take a card on file for two of them.

Typically (AND THIS IS ALWAYS THE CASE WITH SEASONNAIRES HENCE MY LINE ABOVE) there are three demands on seasonnaires lives in the mountains... 1 is their job they must do to survive, 2nd is to ski / board and 3rd to party. All seasonnaires start with the intention of skiing everyday of the season but it never happens that way... the party scene and 'a cloud in the sky' means they have a duvet day. So when Anna in our office contacted them all to reconfirm this morning the two that were supposed to be paying in cash were hungover.... now bearing in mind they wanted to ski off piste and today might have been one of the best days of the season it goes to show that 'doing a ski season' often doesnt result in people actually doing that much skiing at all! Cutting a long story the two that were too hungover to ski basically meant they pulled the plug for the 4 of them.... why well because the other 2 fail to realise that the session cost is split between the 4 of them and without 2 of them there it no longer balances the books.!!!! The option for doing a shorter session for just 2 of them was there but they could not get their head around the fact that it would have to be shortened because the revenue was not there with only 2 of them paying!

Talk about head and wall hitting eh!

So anyway I have spent the afternoon with the the laptop and to do list. Tomorrow I will still have a great off piste day im sure of it!

The sun has continued to shine all day and tomorrow will be much the same.

TTFN

Rather a lot of snow - means the carpet is buried currently!

Its difficult to see in the light but the debris comes all the way down towards the forest below. Wowsers!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, we must have just missed you the s morning.
Am incredible day, wonderful snow, and sore arms.from polling up the Madelaine ramp.
Skied like a god, so happy, knackered.

Were delayed 20 mins at the bottom of the Datcha lift while someone one was medivaced in a chopper.

The professionalism of all was a privilege to watch
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Steve Angus, we must have just missed you the s morning.
Am incredible day, wonderful snow, and sore arms.from polling up the Madelaine ramp.
Skied like a god, so happy, knackered.

Were delayed 20 mins at the bottom of the Datcha lift while someone one was medivaced in a chopper.

The professionalism of all was a privilege to watch

That sounds like a great day. Yes watching the pisteurs at work always fill one with pride I think. Must have just missed each other as you say.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone want to comment on this thread? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5109185#5109185
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
Anyone want to comment on this thread? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5109185#5109185

Ill have a look thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GO, GO, GO

The kids were very good getting ready this morning but you can tell it is getting towards the end of the week AND the end of the season now - generally fatigue is always present at the moment.

With the kids on the bus I headed into town myself.

I had been waiting for today and planning in my mind as my colleague had told me that the guy today was a very high level ex racer from Canada who has skied a LOT of off piste in his life.... he is buying a place at the moment in Tignes and his son is at Apex over there. He used to rent a place for a few years in St Anton and before that in Verbier so has been around a long time in this game.

So when we met we quickly formulated the plan that with the avalanche danger rising in the sun / heat from a 3 this morning to a 4 this afternoon that we wanted to be really careful and it made more sense to whack out a really long morning and finish early. I am now pretty knackered as only got home a while ago.

So we headed off up Solaise and the original plan had been to ski Cugnai as it had NOT opened yesterday but I could see when I got up Solaise that they had only (for some reason) pisted one piste basher width down the 'piste' side.... so it was not likely to open... bit frustrating to be honest! Guess they still have some digging to do at the top station or something im guessing? Not sure.

Anyway with it not open I came up with a new plan in my head.

A quick tested off Datcha was nice then the nose of the Super L was really nice and fresh and deep. Off the Orientation piste had to work the orientation better but lower down towards the Pyramids chair was lovely... REALLY lovely.

The signal drag (skiers right of it) was more educational but still worth it but then dropping off the back down the steeper skiers left of the Grand Vallon saw some nice snow - albeit in pockets! Thats more like it.

We dropped into an amazing Col Pers and the entrance (and hike for that matter) was some of the easiest I have seen. It was lush across the flats - some of the best snow of the day... hundreds of fresh pow turns. Once we had crossed over the Grand Torsai it went to pot... really rubbish wind affected snow before finding a nice few pockets all the way down the last few pitches to the Pont St Charles. So overall definately worth it just a little educational in places!

We popped back up and did a cheeky extra one in Sunny bowl... there is still some places to find fresh snow in there but it was now after 12 and the sun was getting to the snow big time - was pretty heavy I must say. Oh well better than skiing a piste this morning I reckon - my client thought so.

Finally making our way back around to get to Danaides and by now it was 1300'ish so we had to be careful with the temps and snow quality etc. Chances of knee twisting going on now as well as avalanches! Anyway top pitch was lovely - really nice again and then the wall although had been CATEX blasted was nice on the old firm base! Dropping lower and back towards the (closed of course) L the snow was getting really heavy so we had to be careful. Had to manage some sluff but all good.

By the time we bused it back to town and sat down for a burger lunch it was 1400. Quite a long morning. Quite an intense 'day'

Im pretty tired now but he was happy and we got some lovely turns in. It was such a rush, rush, rush morning I barely got a chance to snap pics but got a few below!

The avalanche risk should stabilise overnight and then rise again tomorrow whilst the sun continues to shine.

TTFN

Not in Val but a piste basher (driver was OK!) was swept off the hill in a slide overnight somewhere in this part of the French Alps (not Val or Tignes)

Col Pers looking amazing! Fresh turns anyone!

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I thought I knew Val D reasonably well but you’ve lost me there, after Cugnai and Datcha Laughing
Whatever, it looks and sounds as though you’ve had a fabulous day.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Well I thought I knew Val D reasonably well but you’ve lost me there, after Cugnai and Datcha Laughing
Whatever, it looks and sounds as though you’ve had a fabulous day.

I'll translate:

- 'Datcha' = area off to right as u go up said lift
- 'nose super l' = anywhere off to left as you go along mattis path road (but usually come off the path real early)
- 'orientation' piste is the red from top laisenant lift towards signal restaurant. Went skiers left today
- 'signal' drag (hope u know where that is)... As you go up then the area to the left of it
- 'grand vallon' the area to left when you get to top of that drag.... We went hard left back along the ridge today
- 'Col Pers'.... As you go up Cascades chair look to 9 o'clock - the little low point is the entrance... Grand torsai is a big landmark when you go down there to avoid the impassable gorge which you don't want to be near at the moment.
- 'sunny bowl' - top pyramids chair and the bowl straight ahead of you
- 'danaides'.... Imagine you were skiing down from top piste L.... It's the area sort of up above u to the left coming down to the L piste... Avoiding the cliffs etc of course.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, thanks...yes, just looking at map and it makes sense now. Yes, of course I know Signal, jus missed that on first skim through.

Wishing I was there now. Well, once it gets light, anyway.
latest report
PeakyB indeed. Very Happy
snow conditions
Bit of local knowledge!

The kids were up, eaten breakfast, dressed and full of the joys of Spring long before I got out of bed this morning.... hmmm strange. No real reason for it I dont think. Anyway didnt really have a negatives impact on getting ready for school - just meant they had a LOT of time to kill before the school bus - haha.

So I headed into town nice and early mainly as needed to record my weekly snow report... however I had a panic as thought had left my phone behind which would have been a disaster on a day when needing to record the weekly snow report. Anyway luckily having borrowed a friends phone on the bus to call Clare remembered that (after Clare called my phone to find it at home) it was in another pocket I normally dont use - doh!

So with the sun shining etc I recorded my weekly snow report and other social media bits and then my client arrived. A fellow SH (not even sure of his username I dont think) who was booked in for a mornings guiding off piste. The remit for the session had been to ski couloirs but finding some nice pow was also very high up on his agenda.

Solaise beconnned and as we went up the options were either 'stick' and go straight for L'Avancher couloir and then maybe Prime S or something like that OR 'twist' and hope that Cugnai would finally open - as it has been several days since it has been open - has been the amount of work that has been needed digging out the top station amongst other things. I was pretty sure it would open on time and having done a tiny snow test on the way to the Glacier lift and having seen the (Small) queue of knowledgeable local guides and instructors having the same thought pattern as me, we headed over to Cugnai and it literally opened in front of us. With all of about 20 people in front of us the second bit of local knowledge came out... I knew that all 20 of the people in front of us with their various guides etc would be aiming to get off the back of Cugnai into the bowl. So the plan came together... get off the lift and rip back down just off the side of the piste in wintery untouched pow snow whilst the bun fight to get off the back started. By the time we had done about 100 pow turns and came back up the lift for a second time the fight was over so we could enter. YES we had about 40 people (by this time) ahead of us but there is so much space it was not going to be a massive issue out there. The first pitch was not that nice - took too much heat yesterday so heading over to hug the cliffs we had a HUGE depth of dry and light pow.... yes please - dont mind if I do! It was epic. We went around the corner for the flatter 'garden' option and that was lovely too. So very very nice.... you gotta be in it to win it eh!

There was a big grins all round I can tell ya. Wow.

Having done that we needed to tick the couloir option off so we made our way to L'Avancher via Danaides. The top section was slightly heavier than yesterday (probably the 1100 heat today was not helping now either!), the wall was excellent, the flats better and then the couloir itself was getting REALLY heavy snow. The lack of re-freeze at lower altitude had worked against us. Anyway the couloir was OK snow wise all in all just needed a lot of effort to get down it. However the bottom part had a big slide across it which meant we had a very interesting and unplanned detour through the forest etc to get around the carnage which was knackering.

By the time we got back to the meet point there were heavy legs but big smiles. Mission accomplished.

I had lunch and a drink at Tartine - nice, good value snack food from there before heading to the school as I was down to be the adult helper (well one of them) for the kids 'PE' ski lesson. This was to be the last of the two weeks of afternoons the kids had for skiing!

After suiting and booting the kids at the school and then all getting on the school bus to the snow front we were off. I was with Ben, my sons, group and his instructor for the week, Harold (from the ESF) who just also happens to be my daughter, Olivias, coach when he is Club des Sport coaching. Anyway the 6 of them, Harold and myself went for a blast about - a really blast about. The lower face, ski from top of the mountain via the snow park and through the trees to La Daille. Then a few more jumps and blasting about up top again before skiing the full distance of the Face from the top again! Pretty cool! They all did very well - so impressed with them all.

So having finished all that and got Ben home it has been a pretty chilled evening. Im shattered so tomorrows lesson being more of a beginner will be a nice energy saver thankfully. Olivia had been to an after school play date with a friend so whilst Clare collected her I got dinner sorted.

So thats about it for today.

Looking forward to my bed to be honest.

TTFN

P.S. STOP PRESS - the L piste opened (I think for the first time this season) today!

Ben in the blue trousers and green jacket - just hanging out casually on La Face - as you do as a 5 year old!

Danaides wall.
snow report

A small break

After being flat out (and will continue to be that way for quite some time to come) for so many days / weeks now I really enjoyed some down time this afternoon... I managed to have a snooze whilst the kids watched a film - blimey how lucky am I.

I was the last out of bed this morning and it seems as if everyone had been awake for ages - not quite sure how or why but anyway it was a Saturday (of course), Clare was not working this morning, the kids not skiing so just me to get out the door - simples.

So my morning was with a long standing clients cousin. He had done a few hours on a dry slope but was otherwise self taught. Its always a tricky one getting people used to the speed of snow / its feel etc and also undoing the bad habits when you have hacked your way down a slope (anywhere) and especially when you are in your mid 20's and perhaps lacking in much fear. After starting on the small magic carpet we slowly increased the difficultly and exercises etc and ultimately did a fair few laps on the Madeleine. Hopefully i have now given him the tools to not only enjoy himself but also stay safe!

The sun was once again shining so it was very hot out there... it was the first time that I had really noticed the snow properly turning - Spring is here for sure! However it could get a little cooler later this week which will help.

Anyway I headed home at lunchtime and as I walked in Clare headed out for her afternoon lesson! All good!

So this afternoon I have mainly been chilling with the kids, watching the ski racing (wow Marco Odermatt is good eh) and as a I said above having a snooze.

Tomorrow Olivia has her final ski race of the year down in St Foy and I am one of the helping parents so we are up before 0600 to get going on the coach there. It is slalom. She is a little nervous but watching the ladies SL today from Andorra she got her mojo I think! Should be a long but fun day... lets hope Val get another clean sweep and with some luck Olivia will be well up there results wise! We shall see - as long as she has fun that will be the most important thing.

Then it will be the start of another busy week on the work front.... go, go, go.

TTFN
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Friday sounds like you had a fantastic day!

Looks like best low-vis lens goggles needed for St Foy today. Good that it’s got plenty trees.
Lovely area and, as you say, if everyone has fun that’s the most important thing.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, good luck today, hope Olivia has a great day.
ski holidays
Good luck today Olivia!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, ha, spotted you in the crowd this morning sporting the TDC jacket in the sea of children.

Hope Olivia was happy with her performance.
latest report
PeakyB - yes it was thank you. Today.... well hardly much skiing was done really... kit carrying etc so just wore sunglasses actually! They had a good day.
Frosty the Snowman / Owlette - ah thanks so much!
mooney058 - how funny... should have said hi! Yes she was.....

Smiles but early start

Im more knackered this evening than after a normal day on the mountain teaching. Perhaps it was the early alarm call at 0500 or just the adrenaline - not sure.

Anyway for the first hour this morning it was go, go, go. Anyway we got out the house and on the 0700 train rouge into town to the rond pont where the Val owned coach picked up the kids (about 35 of them) and the coaches and the 6 parent helpers including me. Off we went and the first result of the day was that no-one puked in the coach - yay!

After getting lift passes etc sorted and headed up it was time for course inspection (for those who dont know it the vital part of a race before you ski whereby you move down the course on skis memorising it etc as best you can) and some warm up laps. All perfect.

Olivia was not too happy with her first run as she made a mistake but it was not too bad really as she was still quite high up on the leader board. After a quick lunch stop (I was very popular as I had taken a whole salami, chopping board and knife (how very french of me I know!) it was on to the 2nd run. Well Olivia was amazing, I can't tell you how blown away I was watching her ski. She looked like a real little racer taking out the stubbies with her shins. They use stubbies as being a regional U10 race there are kids that are very new to racing and full size gates are just too much for kids this young at moment. Anyway she nailed the 2nd run. We are still to receive the official result this evening but I think she was about 4th out of about 41 girls that turned up to the race today from the Haute Tarantaise (Val d, Tignes, La Rosiere, Villaroger and St Foy). When you take the older girls out the equation then she was either first or 2nd for her age group in girls. Totally amazing!

With the weather moving in the race finished but by now it was snowing / raining so everyone was happy when they got the prize giving done and dusted nice and quickly so we could get off home. There is still some confusion this evening as to whether Val did win the team comp or not but we think we did.

It was about 1500 before we got home which is pretty good considering. A quick film followed by an amazing family takeaway from the new (this season) Jami delivery over the road here in La Daille. Pizza, burgers and all at a decent price and very efficient too - highly recommended.

So now the kids are in bed I am soooo looking forward to joining them thats for sure. Shattered.

Will let the photos tell the story of a nice day.

TTFN

Early doors at 0700 for the coach

Up we go in St Foy

MuMu the coach giving the team talk

Course inspection

Up close to the action!
snow report
A Very Happy
latest report
Well done, Olivia! Very Happy
snow conditions
Well done Very Happy and it looks so much better than standing by a muddy football pitch in drizzle.

So pleased with the first ‘result’ having been puked all over before leaving Tignes early one morning with 2.5 hours to Geneva still to go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done, Olivia!

Eurosport in a few years from now snowHead

@Steve Angus, wanted to say hi but you were surrounded by a bunch of kids, felt strange to interrupt.
snow report
I've just skied Santons for the first time. (It's either been closed or I've had boarders with me on previous trips).

It was pretty cut up, with a lane of hard pack down the right hand side of the bottom section created by the many people side slipping.

I'm genuinely amazed it used to be blue and now understand why a ski instructor once told me that when he retired he was thinking of setting up a divorce lawyer business somewhere near the bottom Laughing

Also fairly obvious why it's often closed as it's a massive terrain trap. I'm amazed how many people I've seen in the past ducking the rope when it's closed.

I'm now sitting having a snack at the Sun Bar, after recognising the name from Steve Angus's posts.

If anyone is around and fancies a pootle around, I'm skiing on my own this week as my partner is injured. I'm staying in Tignes Val Claret but can easily get across to Val. I'll ski all reds and the occasional black, albeit the speed and grace might be lacking at times.
latest report
"And next out of the gate... Great Britain's Olivia Angus." Does have a good ring to it snowHead
snow conditions
Well done Olivia, I look forward to Nick Fellows reminding everyone that Olivia is English but Ski's for the French team Very Happy
ski holidays
russ_e wrote:
Well done Olivia, I look forward to Nick Fellows reminding everyone that Olivia is English but Ski's for the French team Very Happy

English????
snow report
Opps Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well done Olivia, you and Clare must be so proud Steve!
snow report
Aménagement de l'accès à l'Aiguille Percée

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=GXFposVmJkGZkbCo0V02f3_S7kbiqUhPnNLwzaEvmANUM1E2QVE1QU5aV1UySjNTMVA5RTNXQ08yWC4u&fbclid=IwAR1kdxe3CPXUQpgyffOo0yeScdZORJ-rAqvuPWPgNnSOvqPWNJE7CmxHVlY

Get your votes in ladies and gentelmen
snow conditions
Quote:

I've just skied Santons for the first time. (It's either been closed or I've had boarders with me on previous trips).

It was pretty cut up, with a lane of hard pack down the right hand side of the bottom section created by the many people side slipping.

I'm genuinely amazed it used to be blue and now understand why a ski instructor once told me that when he retired he was thinking of setting up a divorce lawyer business somewhere near the bottom

My wife (and now) sister-in-law were taken down Santons as a 'graduation' run by their ski instructor at the end of their first ever week on skis in 2005. We weren't married at the time so divorce wasn't ever on the cards but the wedding nearly didn't happen.
snow conditions
@Dr John, Good link. Done.
snow report
I wish they had something like that about whether Club Med should have been built!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman / Hurtle / PeakyB / mooney058 / moosepig / russ_e / franga

and yes PeakyB - re Footy pitch etc.... never my scene that anyway! We have had plenty of puking over the years this end with the kids on the road! mooney058 - perhaps you never know! Yes was totally kidded out by the end of the day that was sure! moosepig - that has a ring to it yes. Sounds nice! russ_e - yes im SURE that would be put out there EVERY time. If the French effectively get her through the system then she can ski for France - perhaps after she has won many a race she can defect to Team GB when she is earning enough to pay back the French - haha! Kenzie - you mean as opposed to Scottish? Im only technically Scottish - dont consider myself such.... totally happy to be referred to as English! Queue the hatters now!franga - bursting with pride - she was actually 2nd for her age group in the 2nd run - amazing.

sugarmoma666 - yes its an interesting run thats for sure - I SOOOO rarely ski it these days. However love the idea of a divorce business at bottom - brilliant! Hope Sun Bar was a disappointment.!philhitch - claims another!

Dr John - voted. gixxerniknik - TOTALLY! Know how I might have voted on that one!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy